Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Éireann pay claim?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Why do you think just about every moderator on boards.ie was fanatically pro Water Charge...vested personal interest.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Glenster wrote: »
    True but we'd all be eating beans out of a billy can in a post-apocalyptic wasteland if we'd done that.

Not all of us.

Some of us would be selling the tins of beans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

11%? Why not 22%?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Privatization with low ridership route subsidies - LIKE AS IN JUST ABOUT EVERY OTHER COUNTRY - is the answer.

We have some very bizarre black and white notions about privatization in this country.

Then again CIE does not (and never has done) public transport. Its function is merely to pay union types to drive buses and trains when they alone feel like doing it. Any public transport benefit that arises from this is purely accidental.

Before coming to England I would have agreed with you. However privatization has made the trains here astronomical and really poor value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dissolve the insolvent company and hire them back on private operators wages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I may be unpopular for saying this but surely one of the options to be looked at is to charge Free Bus Pass holders a nominal fee for certain journeys they make. I often get the bus from Cavan to Dublin and the majority of people getting the 8.30 or 9.30 bus have free bus passes. It must be costing the company a fortune to run that particular service. I know some of these people are possibly going to Dublin for hospital appointments but for other people with passes I think they should be made pay a nominal fee of €5 or some thing near that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

gazzer wrote: »
    I may be unpopular for saying this but surely one of the options to be looked at is to charge Free Bus Pass holders a nominal fee for certain journeys they make. I often get the bus from Cavan to Dublin and the majority of people getting the 8.30 or 9.30 bus have free bus passes. It must be costing the company a fortune to run that particular service. I know some of these people are possibly going to Dublin for hospital appointments but for other people with passes I think they should be made pay a nominal fee of €5 or some thing near that amount.

I see your point but chances are they're living on disability or carers allowance so they probably can't afford it. And that would go from five to seven to ten before you know it. Like prescription charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

You already have to pay a fee if you hold a travel pass and want to prebook a seat on a train. If you're disabled or accompanying a disabled person obviously you have to ensure you're seated with them so prebooking is essential. It's not only the elderly with passes. I would not agree with adding an extra financial burden on top of carers or the elderly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

As someone who was wholly dependent on public transport for about 10 years, I have to say that there were some terrible drivers. There were a couple of really sound ones but there were also ones that wouldn't stop to pick me up from the proper bus-stop because they were running late or some other reason. They would just flash their lights and keep going without stopping. And they weren't full.
    Or ones that would divert from the normal route and bypass my stop. My stop was on a national route which had had a motorway built beside it.............bus drivers would routinely decide that they would like to bypass a few miles of bus-stops in order to save a couple of minutes by going non-stop on the motorway.
    Anyone who could, got a car and drove to wherever they wanted to go. Or they drove or got a lift to the nearest train station. Despite there being a nominal timetabled service of about 2 buses an hour. They would start off at the bus stop with me but then soon enough they would have to find some other form of transport.

are you sure the particular route hadn't some services scheduled to by-pass the stops?
    are you sure the driver hadn't been told by control to make up time to get back to the terminus on time?
    either of these could be possible. still though it's annoying when it happens.
    Dissolve the insolvent company and hire them back on private operators wages

wages which might be around the same in one of the big companies. so effectively your suggestion would be a waste of everyone's time.

i'm not sure the expressway services take passes anyway do they?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Bus Eireann as a service gone downhill and drivers are somewhat responsible, not timekeeping, being rude, badgering to see tickets more than once etc. They don't deserve pay rise, sack the lot of them to set down a marker to future threats, that'll show em!

Bus Eireann as a service gone downhill and drivers are somewhat responsible, not timekeeping, being rude, badgering to see tickets more than once etc.

they are entitled to ask to see your ticket. if you believe someone isn't doing their job or are rude, report it to the national transport authority. how do you know they aren't time keeping? that's not something the passenger could ultimately tell as they're might have been instructions given out by control.
    They don't deserve pay rise, sack the lot of them to set down a marker to future threats, that'll show em!

that'll show m nothing. sacking the drivers will not set down any markers to non existant threats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Before coming to England I would have agreed with you. However privatization has made the trains here astronomical and really poor value for money.

Privatization hasn't done that.
    The trains are just poor value for money anyway. The user is just required to pay more of this cost in the UK as opposed to the rest of the taxpayers subsidising it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,059 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

steddyeddy wrote: »

That's because they were never privatised. Instead, the government sells monopolies on different routes which is the exact opposite of competition.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Public Transport has always been shocking, Bus Éireann are terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Many of the Expressway routes are providing a public service and BE should be getting paid for this service like they do for other PSO operated routes. Also Passes should not be accepted on any route where there is an alternative PSO subsidised route, eg: anyone going to Cavan or beyond should not be allowed onto route 30 buses before Cavan. they can get the 109 to Cavan and get the 30 from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

are you sure the particular route hadn't some services scheduled to by-pass the stops?
    Yes, all buses were supposed to stop. It wasn't a city route where there were stops every 100 metres. There were a couple of miles between stops. Calls to the Inspector confirmed this. Inspector would apologise and take address and promise to send out free tickets. He never did. Eventually we stopped wasting our time complaining.
    are you sure the driver hadn't been told by control to make up time to get back to the terminus on time?
    No. But I don't care whether he had visions of The Virgin Mary telling him to get back for the early mass. Or whether he had left toast in the toaster. It wasn't at his personal whim to decide to stop to pick me up or whether to keep motoring on and leave me waiting maybe 40 minutes there for the next one.....which sometimes decided to do the same trick
    either of these could be possible. still though it's annoying when it happens.
    Neither of those excuse it. They lost many potential customers because of it. Unless you were 100% captive, you migrated to another form of transport.

During the summer I bought a bike and would cycle over 10 miles each way to get to where I was going to because I could not depend on the bus. It wasn't the 1940's now. You're talking mid 2000's and onwards.

Yes, all buses were supposed to stop. It wasn't a city route where there were stops every 100 metres. There were a couple of miles between stops. Calls to the Inspector confirmed this. Inspector would apologise and take address and promise to send out free tickets. He never did. Eventually we stopped wasting our time complaining.

fair enough.

No. But I don't care whether he had visions of The Virgin Mary telling him to get back for the early mass. Or whether he had left toast in the toaster. It wasn't at his personal whim to decide to stop to pick me up or whether to keep motoring on and leave me waiting maybe 40 minutes there for the next one.....which sometimes decided to do the same trick

unfortunately if control has given him an instruction then he has to abide by it. when control come calling driver has to come running unfortunately. granted it's not your problem but the driver has to do what they are told. i don't know if that's what happened in this case and never will but it could be a reason. if not and the driver just drove by after you put out your hand to signal for the bus to stop then driver should be sanctioned.
    Neither of those excuse it. They lost many potential customers because of it. Unless you were 100% captive, you migrated to another form of transport.

but they could be reasons for it. people have to understand that when instructions are given to a driver by management/control for whatever reason then those instructions aren't negotiable, they must be abided by. if it can be proved that they're were no instructions and the driver just drove by then the driver should be sanctioned for doing so.

• Advertisement

i shouldn't think so, i'd imagine that would be a disciplinary offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

When did CIE ever care about public transport?

The biggest issue here is that if Bus Eireann doesn't run, thousands of school children have no way to school everyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

****ing overpaid ****s. Exploiting their ****ing position. *****. Assholes dont know a good thing when they have it. Their claim is a load of ****. It isnt even a claim. The only ****ing decision that could justly be made on their pay is to reduce it. ****ing *****s. Cocksucking gob****es. Bullying the people of Ireland into paying them even more is ****ing extortion. Pissing all over us. ****ing ****s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

****ing overpaid ****s. Exploiting their ****ing position. *****. Assholes dont know a good thing when they have it. Their claim is a load of ****. It isnt even a claim. The only ****ing decision that could justly be made on their pay is to reduce it. ****ing *****s. Cocksucking gob****es. Bullying the people of Ireland into paying them even more is ****ing extortion. Pissing all over us. ****ing ****s.

Now, tell us: how do you really feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Let BE go to the wall and lay off these greedy people, BE provides the worst service of any bus company around, i avoid them as much as possible and use cheaper and better services instead.

Let BE go to the wall and lay off these greedy people

nope, these non greedy people are entitled to ask for a rise without having their jobs stolen for doing so. they aren't entitled to get it, and i would suggest both sides agree to settle the issue once the company is proffitable again and any debt owed (if any) is paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Twinkle twinkle little stars how I wonder what you're censoring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement