Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Éireann pay claim?

Options
  • 07-12-2016 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

So the bus drivers want an 11% pay rise even though the company is losing €6+ million a year. Can anyone explain this logic to me?
    Where are bus éireann supposed to get the money from?
    Close routes that are making a loss?
    Then you'll have people that rely on their local bus service complaining, and also some drivers would lose their jobs so that's a no go. Privatisation would be a similar story with loss making routes being closed.
    So how can they even expect a pay rise with the curent state of Bus Éireann.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

We would not have any issues like this if people had paid the water charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

There would be no 'Water Charge' if our pussy politicians had have told the Bond Holders to '**** off and die' actually.

Privatization with low ridership route subsidies - LIKE AS IN JUST ABOUT EVERY OTHER COUNTRY - is the answer.

We have some very bizarre black and white notions about privatization in this country.

Then again CIE does not (and never has done) public transport. Its function is merely to pay union types to drive buses and trains when they alone feel like doing it. Any public transport benefit that arises from this is purely accidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

There's talk of them closing a lot of routes. The Gorey to Wexford route is meant to be shut down, which is madness. With the train service gone now too I'd hate to live there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Greedy pricks being greedy shocker. I've had dealings with members of Vladimir Putin's regime who were nicer to me than BE's horde of self-entitled pricks.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Privatization with low ridership route subsidies - LIKE AS IN JUST ABOUT EVERY OTHER COUNTRY - is the answer.

if you want to pay the most expensive subsidies in the world just like britain. privatization has failed.
    We have some very bizarre black and white notions about privatization in this country.

based on real life experiences and realities.
    Then again CIE does not (and never has done) public transport. Its function is merely to pay union types to drive buses and trains when they alone feel like doing it. Any public transport benefit that arises from this is purely accidental.

unions exist in the oh so perfect private transport companies as well.
    There's talk of them closing a lot of routes. The Gorey to Wexford route is meant to be shut down, which is madness. With the train service gone now too I'd hate to live there.

the train service is still there. irish rail have contempt for it but it is decently used dispite everything.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

If the water charge is going to fund payrises then I'm not paying it! We were told it's to keep public amenities going, and pay for street lighting etc.

The finance minister has already implicated pay increase demands in the potential recession.

If the water charge is going to fund payrises then I'm not paying it!

That's why I didn't pay. I knew the greedy civil servants and semi state unions would treat it as their own personal bank.

Why do you think just about every moderator on boards.ie was fanatically pro Water Charge...vested personal interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

There would be no 'Water Charge' if our pussy politicians had have told the Bond Holders to '**** off and die' actually.

True but we'd all be eating beans out of a billy can in a post-apocalyptic wasteland if we'd done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

This post has been deleted.

True, Bus from edinburgh airport to Waverly was £3 last time I took it, comparable distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Expressway seems to be the hole in the bucket, yet there are several regional companies plying the N and M routes who presumably make enough to stay in business. Maybe they should join together buy Expressway and sack the unionised staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

BE spokesperson stated today that every 1% extra on wages would add €1m to their payroll, and this is a business on track to lose €6m this year. #unionlogic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yup, unfortunately, there would also have been no water.

TBH, not many of us wanted to live in a third world country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

They've jacked up their prices again recently.

Really they should just be told.Company is losing money which means there is no money to pay for pay rises so either you stay happy with your current salary or **** off. I've no problem with Bus Eireann running at a loss as that is what happens with public service transport and lots of services are needed that may not be the most profitable but they really need to get a sense of perspective and realise that they shouldn't be taking the government for a complete ride.

The company I work for was losing money and so unfortunately 30 people were let go in October.

A dose of the reality of working for a proper company that has to make a profit might teach Bus Eireann Drivers to be thankful they still have their jobs rather than looking for an 11% pay rise and blackmailing the public into it.

I'm all for unions sticking up for workers who are being taken advantage of but again like most disputes in the public service this is not what is happening.

Expressway seems to be the hole in the bucket, yet there are several regional companies plying the N and M routes who presumably make enough to stay in business. Maybe they should join together buy Expressway and sack the unionised staff.

for what. on what grounds? for being in a union? illegal as far as i know to sack staff for being in a union. on the off chance that did ever happen, i would hope the sacked staff would drive the company out of business
    A dose of the reality of working for a proper company that has to make a profit might teach Bus Eireann Drivers to be thankful they still have their jobs rather than looking for an 11% pay rise and blackmailing the public into it.

it won't teach them to be thankful for a job because they don't need to be thought to be thankful for something they earned by being the best candidates. one should not be thankful for a job they earned. they have it because they deserve it. otherwise they wouldn't have got it. they don't need a dose of reality, they live in reality. they are working for a company that has to make a proffit, the expressway operation is a commercial operation. the public aren't being blackmailed.
    I'm all for unions sticking up for workers who are being taken advantage of but again like most disputes in the public service this is not what is happening.

if you are for unions standing up for their members then you have to take the good with the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if they start shutting some of the rail lines, it will reduce losses to Irish rail and some customers go over to BE, win / win... I said it on another thread earlier, you cant keep simply going back to tax payer looking for payrises, when company is losing money. For the routes that are subsidized, package them out with profitable routes, put in minimum service agreements and sell it off or tender it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

if you are for unions standing up for their members then you have to take the good with the bad.

The unions aren't always right.If they focused their efforts on more legitimate claims they would be doing everyone a favour.

When does it stop being a public service though. We have stuff like I love the powers train. If some routes are only getting 5 passengers close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The likes of Dublin coach etc successfully operate profitably on many routes. If this can be done as well and better by the private sector then why are we paying BE to do the same thing? I accept they operate unviable routes as a public service, continue that but the rest leave to the markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Can anyone name a private company which is losing money where the staff are looking for a 11% pay rise?

I presume if they get the pay rise they will work hours and routes that suit customers rather than the workers without any extra demands!

Can anyone name a private company which is losing money where the staff are looking for a 11% pay rise?

I presume if they get the pay rise they will work hours and routes that suit customers rather than the workers without any extra demands!

No work or losing money = lost job.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if they start shutting some of the rail lines, it will reduce losses to Irish rail and some customers go over to BE, win / win... I said it on another thread earlier, you cant keep simply going back to tax payer looking for payrises, when company is losing money. For the routes that are subsidized, package them out with profitable routes, put in minimum service agreements and sell it off or tender it out...

as i explained before (maybe you didn't see the posts which if so fair enough)
    1. shutting lines don't reduce losses to irish rail. no amount of closures are going to change IE'S fortunes, or indeed change anything or free up money for other things. government budgeting in any country doesn't operate on that manner. if the money isn't spent on something it's gone.
    2. the users of the shut lines don't go to bus services but to the car. so that would have no effect on bus eireann.
    3. packaging out routes and selling them off or tendering will cost the tax payer anything up to 10 times more going on the best similar example, britain which has the most expensive transport subsidies and fares in the world.
    the current system has many many faults but better it then another britain in my view.
    The unions aren't always right.If they focused their efforts on more legitimate claims they would be doing everyone a favour.

the unions focus on many things, many which you or i or anyone else won't hear about. people also have to become members of the unions if they want to avail of the protection from those unions.
    When does it stop being a public service though. We have stuff like I love the powers train. If some routes are only getting 5 passengers close it.

they're are no routes with 5 people (unless they are a minny bus or large taxi service)
    road_high wrote: »
    The likes of Dublin coach etc successfully operate profitably on many routes. If this can be done as well and better by the private sector then why are we paying BE to do the same thing? I accept they operate unviable routes as a public service, continue that but the rest leave to the markets.

bus eireann only get funding for non financially but socially necessary routes, aka public service obligation routes. bus eireann have a commercial arm called expressway which does not receeve a subsidy which is left to the market.

transdev ireland? if i remember rightly during the luas strike they claimed to have been losing money since 2015.

Irish Rail is the one that people should really be getting angry about. Most rail lines around the country are about to be shut down to 'cut costs' - that is because we are heading towards a situation were Irish rail union staff will be in 250,000 euros each a year and management on a half a million a year salaries.

This is what happens when you do not have a national public transport provider in your country. Services are massively curtailed in order to appease salary expenditures.

If we had public transport in Ireland not union and management jobs. The public transport services would be retained and the staff let go. There are situations were say there are dozens of people on the Limerick Waterford line who have basically nothing to do most of the day getting their 'pay agreements' because their father or grandfathers got them a 'job on the railway'. That line is about to be closed to 'cut costs' but the staff will still show up everyday at stations with no tracks because it all about them and not public transport.

If most people were to discover how CIE really functions there would be riots.

Irish Rail is the one that people should really be getting angry about. Most rail lines around the country are about to be shut down to 'cut costs' - that is because we are heading towards a situation were Irish rail union staff will be in 250,000 euros each a year and management on a half a million a year salaries.

This is what happens when you do not have a national public transport provider in your country. Services are massively curtailed in order to appease salary expenditures.

If we had public transport in Ireland not union and management jobs. The public transport services would be retained and the staff let go. There are situations were say there are dozens of people on the Limerick Waterford line who have basically nothing to do most of the day getting their 'pay agreements' because their father or grandfathers got them a 'job on the railway'. That line is about to be closed to 'cut costs' but the staff will still show up everyday at stations with no tracks because it all about them and not public transport.

If most people were to discover how CIE really functions there would be riots.

oh come on. it's no secret i'm no fan of IE and have plenty of issues with them, but most of this is nonsense. the average staff member can only dream about 250000. they will never earn that wage. 30/50 grand depending on time served and going through the incraments is all they will ever earn. management are on a high wage but in reality they are always going to be whoever runs the service. the rest of what you claim is a myth. they're were no staff turning up to stations with no tracks claiming pay. yes it's true some staff were transferred elsewhere (and that's if they were lucky) plenty did lose their jobs however. CIE is badly run yes but if a line closes now then staff will be out the door unless they bring back customer service staff doing proper revenue checks on trains for which some will take up those positions should they wish to. but that isn't going to happen so it will be out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

There is a shortage of bus drivers and AFAIK Bus Eireann have a very selective recruitment process.
    The Bus drivers know they are worth more due to scarcity so of course they are going to demand an increase. Open market and all that.
    Either pay to train more drivers of a high enough standard to work for BE or pay more for public transport.......or drop standards and let anyone with a bus licence and an attitude drive you and your kids around.

Of course on the other side of the coin the drivers could just leave and go drive for a company that pays 11% more seeing as they are so scarce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I'm sure they will get their pay rise. The bus price just went up AGAIN. Soon we will be paying €5 for a city route. I have no sympathy for the greedy fu¢kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Raptor wrote: »
    I'm sure they will get their pay rise. The bus price just went up AGAIN. Soon we will be paying €5 for a city route. I have no sympathy for the greedy fu¢kers.

As someone who was wholly dependent on public transport for about 10 years, I have to say that there were some terrible drivers. There were a couple of really sound ones but there were also ones that wouldn't stop to pick me up from the proper bus-stop because they were running late or some other reason. They would just flash their lights and keep going without stopping. And they weren't full.
    Or ones that would divert from the normal route and bypass my stop. My stop was on a national route which had had a motorway built beside it.............bus drivers would routinely decide that they would like to bypass a few miles of bus-stops in order to save a couple of minutes by going non-stop on the motorway.
    Anyone who could, got a car and drove to wherever they wanted to go. Or they drove or got a lift to the nearest train station. Despite there being a nominal timetabled service of about 2 buses an hour. They would start off at the bus stop with me but then soon enough they would have to find some other form of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Because the Unions keep getting away with it.

They are already overpaid and want a 20% rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I travelled Limerick to outside Cork City and brought the timetable in my phone for the return journey. I was stuck in the middle of nowhere and found a bus further up the road from the stop I was supposed to be leaving from. He was only the nursing home bus and there were no other buses arriving in the area that evening, I was told. I and another passenger going to the same event had checked with the original driver when he dropped us off and he definitely confirmed that he would be back at that same stop at whatever time. The driver of this other bus dropped me off in the city anyway but I was pretty shocked that the buses didn't have to turn up at all despite being timetabled. If he hadn't happened to be still parked outside the nursing home I'd have had an awful lot of miles to walk to get back to Cork, and no idea where I was going. And a dead phone!

Only met one or two nice drivers in all of the journeys I've done.

Advertisement