Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to Berlin: Maybe he'll learn this time.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Back to normality this week! I had been looking at my plan, and realised it was a bit ridiculous. There were massive variances in the progression on the LSRs. After a bit of investigation, it looks like I was following the wrong plan, in that there was too much scheduled! I've adjusted it to fit more in line with the Hal Hidgon Intermediate 1 plan, which is what I had planned to follow. I've kept the longer mid week runs, but reduced the LSRs accordingly.

Tuesday : 5miles @ 10:06
    Wednesday: 6.2 miles @ 10:10
    Thursday: 5 miles @ 10:01
    Saturday: 5 miles @ 9:57
    Sunday: 12 miles @ 10:07

All a smidge faster than planned. I was hoping for close to 10:20 or so, but it's not too far off. Feeling very comfortable up to 10 miles now. Last 2 were a bit harder but I definitely could have kept going for a few more. I keep hoping that these hills will help me in Berlin as I live in a fairly hilly area and my routes reflect that!

Mid week runs done and dusted!

Tuesday: 5 miles @ 10:03
    Wednesday: 7 miles @ 10:07
    Thursday: 5 miles @ 10:15

Thursday was the best run ever. Found 20euro on the side of the road. It did mess up my pace though :D

Weekend runs done

Sat: 7 miles @ 10:12 - a muggy enough morning
    Sun: 9 miles @ 10:16 - horrible feeling first 3 miles, felt queasy, and not well. One to forget and move on.

I seem to be entering the business part of the training now. 9 weeks to the taper! Wooo! :(

Mid week runs done. A mixed bag. I got through the distances okay, but I'm finding it's more effort that I'd like. It could be a combination of the heat [not sunny, but it's very, very muggy] and the slight hip niggle I'm carrying.

Tues: 6.2 miles @ 10:29
    Weds: 7.0 miles @ 10:11
    Thur: 6.2 miles @ 9:55

Pet peeve of the week is the 3 or 4 cyclists who nearly knocked me down while cycling beside a perfectly good cycle lane! Grrrr!

• Advertisement

Weekend runs complete.

5 miles on Saturday @ 9:58 and 14 miles today @ 10:24 - today run felt quite good, the first half marathon run where I've felt comfortable the whole way through for a while. The last mile was tough but it's a tough mile even on fresh legs! The rain was great but I wore my Charleville 2016 shirt. It's white. It wasn't fully white by the end! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Keep up the good work Chris :)

Weekly update! Still sticking to the plan, mainly. My car is broken down so I'm getting about 40 miles of cycling in too! :D

Tuesday: 6.2 miles @ 10:18
    Wednesday: 7.0 miles @ 10:13
    Thursday: 6.2 miles @ 10:06
    Saturday: 5.0 miles @ 10:08
    Sunday: 15.0 miles @ 10:34

The LSR was a bit rough the last few miles. My stomach was acting up and it was a struggle just to keep going. So not the best run! That said, and I need to cling to some bit of hope here, it's a considerable improvement. I'm just looking at the equivalent run from last years DCM training. I was considerably faster this year, with no discernible effort increase, so that's very much a positive.

https://www.strava.com/activities/353562906

I am currently neck deep in the regret part of the training cycle though, and have currently sworn off doing any further marathons after this one :D

Keep going Chris it will be all worth it crossing the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

chrislad wrote: »

I am currently neck deep in the regret part of the training cycle though, and have currently sworn off doing any further marathons after this one :D

I know that feeling!!!

I also know the dangers of boredom that taper madness or post marathon elation can lead to rash decisions being made liking looking for and signing up to another marathon (just one more though, I swear the next one will be the last!!!)

• Advertisement

I know that feeling!!!

I also know the dangers of boredom that taper madness or post marathon elation can lead to rash decisions being made liking looking for and signing up to another marathon (just one more though, I swear the next one will be the last!!!)

Yeah, that elation is why I'm doing Berlin now. I thought I was safe. It was a lottery and it ticked the box of not being idle. I didn't think I'd actually get in, as I'm not normally lucky (if that's the right word...) with things like that.

My wife, despite the grump I am for these weeks, is encouraging me to do Limerick as it's my "home city" marathon. Limerick has never been a nice race for me, so I'm hesitant.

I've been neglecting this so I'll do a two week update! Things are going fairly okay, training wise. I can do the mileage, just not really enjoying it as such!

The week before last was a step back week with an extra day off, so that was nice!

Tue - 6.2 @ 10:00
    Wed - 5 @ 9:46
    Sat - 5 @ 10:23
    Sun - 13.1 @ 10:18

Back to regular scheduled programming last week

Tue - 4 @ 9:14
    Wed - 8 @ 10:04
    Fri - 4 @ 9:37
    Sat - 8 @ 10:11
    Sun - 17 @ 10:31

The long run felt fairly good. I was tiring a bit towards the end, but I only dipped about 12 seconds per mile for the last 3 miles when compared to miles 11 to 14, so it wasn't too bad.

On holidays so forgot/didn't want to update this :D

Week 1st to 7th Aug
    Tuesday - 5 miles @ 10:00
    Wednesday - 8 miles @ 10:23
    Friday - 5 miles @ 9:50
    Saturday - 8 miles @ 10:28
    Sunday - 18 miles @ 9:44

The long run was faster than planned, mainly due to the rain. There was glorious rain the whole run, which suits me perfectly. Any bit of heat and I wilt. Rain is my friend! Felt great during and after with my last few miles the fastest.

Last week, I was on holidays, so I didn't stick to the plan. I just did a few runs to keep the motor ticking.

Tuesday - 3.1 miles @ 10:09
    Wednesday - 4 miles @ 10:13
    Thursday - 3.1 miles @ 10:01
    Saturday - 3.1 miles @ 10:00
    Sunday - 3.1 miles @ 10:04

All fairly steady, hot, runs, which I was just taking in the main Lanzarote strip. Nothing too strenuous, just keeping the legs warm. Back to normal service this week!

T - 2 weeks to the taper!

This week went fairly well, with the first of two 20 milers done and dusted. It was back to normal service after last weeks holiday break, and the rest showed in that I went a bit faster this week than planned.

Tuesday: 5 miles @ 10:09
    Wednesday: 8 miles @ 10:04
    Friday: 5 miles @ 9:48
    Saturday: 5 miles @ 9:53
    Sunday: 20 miles @ 10:20

The 20 mile was fairly okay. No major pains, though I was glad to finish! Legs are a bit sore, but not too bad! It was absolutely pissing rain though. I don't think I've ever been as wet in my life! The first 7 miles were torrential, and I got a bit of a break for the next 7 after that, but the last 6 were torrential again. So many flooded roads and paths, and very, very wet feet, but thankfully no blisters or anything. A few long runs of 10 and 13 miles next week before my final week before the taper. Cannot. Wait.

Also, I surpassed 3,000 "career" miles with that 20 mile run this week. Started running about 38 months ago or so, so happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Also, I surpassed 3,000 "career" miles with that 20 mile run this week. Started running about 38 months ago or so, so happy with that!
    Niiiiiice! Well done, that's an amazing milestone. Not too shabby on the 20 miler either ;)

A nice step back week before the final 20 miler this week! As per the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan, I have 4 5 milers and a 12 mile.

Tuesday: 5 miles @ 10:18
    Wednesday: 5 miles @ 10:01
    Thursday: 5 miles @ 10:14
    Saturday: 5 miles @ 10:09
    Sunday: 12 miles @ 9:56

Overall, a good week, though the first couple of runs, I could really feel my tired glutes after the 20 miler last Sunday. They weren't sore, just tired, and by Wednesday, they were back to normal.

Last full week now before the taper. Going to be very glad to finish off marathons for a good while, but I'm planning on spending the next few months getting to around sub 23 on 5k and as far under 50 on 10k as I can. I have to make sure I finish on 1000 miles plus for this year too, though that should be fine if I finish this current training cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

We'll get some beers in ya after the marathon and have you entered in another marathon before you get home ☺☺

martyboy48 wrote: »
    We'll get some beers in ya after the marathon and have you entered in another marathon before you get home ☺☺

Friends don't let friends drink and enter marathons :D

I've done my best to pre book non marathon events to create as many clashes as possible, plus I think my wife would kill me, as I'm not the easiest to live with during the intense part of the training. I just want sleep from 9pm onwards! :D

A great solid Block of training Chris the hays in the barn !!! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Anne. Just looking forward to getting through the last big long run this weekend. Just over 3 weeks to go now, so the nerves should be kicking in any time now!

Mid week runs were a bit faster than planned, but all went well. No real niggles or the link, just a bit tired in general, but nothing unusual.

Tuesday: 5 miles @ 9:56
    Wednesday: 10 miles @ 9:56 - was supposed to be 8 according to the plan but I felt ten was a better mid week run for the final week!
    Thursday: 5 miles @ 10:00

All fairly similar runs. Again, I'm nothing if not consistent. Just need to work on the speed part :D

Disappointing weekend. I wasn't feeling great yesterday, and forced myself out for the 5 miles. This morning, I had to abort the 20 miler only 4 miles in. My heart rate was nearly hitting 5k levels, my stomach was churning and I was getting light headed. I tried to push through it after mile 2, but it just wasn't happening.

Next week is supposed to be 5/8/5/6/12 - the first of the taper weeks. Should I increase mileage to get another attempt at a 20 miler in as I've only completed one this training cycle, or just chalk it down, stick to the plan, and just get through Berlin? I'd be lying if I said I was feeling confident after this cycle - I'm just not really feeling the distance at the moment, and I'm looking forward to just getting back into 5k/10k races for 2018, and trying to better myself there. The way I'm feeling with Berlin, it's pretty much going to be a get through it day, when I treat it as a slightly faster long run, maybe a 10 minute mile average, 9:45 max. My initial aim was about 9:00-9:15 but I just don't feel like I would have a good day out at that pace for the whole race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Disappointing weekend. I wasn't feeling great yesterday, and forced myself out for the 5 miles. This morning, I had to abort the 20 miler only 4 miles in. My heart rate was nearly hitting 5k levels, my stomach was churning and I was getting light headed. I tried to push through it after mile 2, but it just wasn't happening.

Next week is supposed to be 5/8/5/6/12 - the first of the taper weeks. Should I increase mileage to get another attempt at a 20 miler in as I've only completed one this training cycle, or just chalk it down, stick to the plan, and just get through Berlin? I'd be lying if I said I was feeling confident after this cycle - I'm just not really feeling the distance at the moment, and I'm looking forward to just getting back into 5k/10k races for 2018, and trying to better myself there. The way I'm feeling with Berlin, it's pretty much going to be a get through it day, when I treat it as a slightly faster long run, maybe a 10 minute mile average, 9:45 max. My initial aim was about 9:00-9:15 but I just don't feel like I would have a good day out at that pace for the whole race.

You seemed to be fairly positive about the training cycle up until today, one or two runs not withstanding. I can't offer much advice about sandwiching that last 20 miler into next week, but you be mentioned a couple of times that you're a lot fitter than last year. It sucks to have a bad run this late in the day, especially the last LR, but don't write off your Marathon just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You've had an 18 and a 20 in last few weeks, right? I'd be inclined to write off the bad run, unless you think you are in good enough shape to do tomorrow or the day after. With three weeks to go you don't have enough time to reschedule after that. I'd concentrate on the rest of the plan, and of course on the rest of the equation - rest, hydration, not going too mad food and drink wise, etc.

You'll be grand!

Yup, the last 4 weeks have been fine - 17/18/3(on hols)/20/12 - All those runs were fairly okay. I don't know how I'll feel tomorrow, but with work, it's very unlikely I've have the time, as my wife has basketball training resuming at 7pm, so by the time I get finished in work, and home etc, it will be quite late, so I think it's best to just draw a line under it.

I do need to increase my water intake, so I'll focus on that this week. I don't drink anyway, though I'll probably break with tradition after Berlin!

Thanks! :)

healy1835 wrote: »
    You seemed to be fairly positive about the training cycle up until today, one or two runs not withstanding. I can't offer much advice about sandwiching that last 20 miler into next week, but you be mentioned a couple of times that you're a lot fitter than last year. It sucks to have a bad run this late in the day, especially the last LR, but don't write off your Marathon just yet.

The training has gone quite well, I am having a love/hate relationship with marathons at the moment! If it were a local one, I'd probably just drop out, but since it's Berlin, I'm sticking with it.

Part of it is probably just have a bad run, and the depression that follows for a few hours :)

Thanks for the words on encouragement. :)

Final "tough" week down, and a nice easy taper week this week and next week. All went well this week, with no areas of concern. Glutes feel a bit tired so focus on stretching and resting a bit over the next couple of weeks.

Tuesday: 5 miles @ 10.19
    Wednesday: 6.2 miles @ 10.13
    Thursday: 5 miles @ 9.42
    Saturday: 5 miles @ 10.24
    Sunday: 13.1 miles @ 10.14

I've done what I can at this stage. I'm still not sure what time I'm going to go with for Berlin, but at the moment, I'll probably start with the 4:15 pacers and hold on for as long as I can. The pace should be fine, but not sure what the endurance will be like past mile 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

You know what they say, it's not the distance it's the pace that kills you, as long as effort is right I'm sure you'll have no problem with last six miles. Good to be ending plan in good knick.

Last week before race day!

Tues: 4 miles @ 9:44
    Wed: 5 miles @ 9:52
    Thurs: 3 miles @ 9:43
    Sat: 4 miles @ 10:04
    Sun: 8 miles @ 10:00

A long week with work but I feel fairly good overall. A few aches at the start of the week, but those have settled down. Plan for the week is 3 on Tuesday, 4 on Wed, 2 on Saturday, and the small matter of 26.2 on Sunday. Assuming Ryanair don't cancel my flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Last week before race day!

Tues: 4 miles @ 9:44
    Wed: 5 miles @ 9:52
    Thurs: 3 miles @ 9:43
    Sat: 4 miles @ 10:04
    Sun: 8 miles @ 10:00

A long week with work but I feel fairly good overall. A few aches at the start of the week, but those have settled down. Plan for the week is 3 on Tuesday, 4 on Wed, 2 on Saturday, and the small matter of 26.2 on Sunday. Assuming Ryanair don't cancel my flight.

The hay is in the barn now - take it easy this week and best of luck in Berlin.

Advertisement