Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

She was tolerable when she did a music show to be fair to her , but she was only in brief spurts-talking wise and had good tumes. her irritating quirks were just saying the text no and twitter account every 20 seconds but it’s ramped up now as she’s doing a predominately a talk show and really is a bore personality wise (probably a nice person but just doesn’t have the charisma to host a talk show)

Yeah I was trying to leave her personality and charisma out of it, but I concur.

It’s weird because I remember when she was on the station first, she was one of those alternative, edgy presenters doing late night shows playing “cool” alternative music, a bit like McCloone does now.

But whether by accident or design she’s gradually morphed into this rather annoying hyperactive mammy type. That works great for a certain very narrow demographic and perhaps it is why her Saturday morning show is so successful but surely that style hasn’t mainstream wider appeal - she would not last more than 6 months in a daily peak time slot imo. And I doubt she’d be considered as a long term permanent Dempsey replacement. She’s just the current flavour of the month filler in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭TheDavester

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah I was trying to leave her personality and charisma out of it, but I concur.

It’s weird because I remember when she was on the station first, she was one of those alternative, edgy presenters doing late night shows playing “cool” alternative music, a bit like McCloone does now.

But whether by accident or design she’s gradually morphed into this rather annoying hyperactive mammy type. That works great for a certain very narrow demographic and perhaps it is why her Saturday morning show is so successful but surely that style hasn’t mainstream wider appeal - she would not last more than 6 months in a daily peak time slot imo. And I doubt she’d be considered as a long term permanent Dempsey replacement. She’s just the current flavour of the month filler in.

Yeah, at least she dropped the feminist mummy bit on twitter she was doing for a while back, posting bizarre posts you'd expect Una Mullally types would do....yeah seems like she had the kid and either felt she didn't fit the music style and saw a niche in the kids show market....but Christ you couldn't do that 5 days a week- 35/43 weeks a year (not sure how many weeks do a regular presenter does so I estimated), like I think even two days is stretching it for her with the stick, and she probably doesn't have much competition at those hours.

she probably gets Iano's as she was a researcher/producer on his show beforehand so its probably an easy slot for her to slide into, but yeah she's not really suitable for a talk show slot on a national radio, it would be like giving Paula McSweeney or Louise Duffy the Last Word hosting gig..

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Alison played a song today for her daughter and mentioned the daughter had defected to another station. Who’d blame her?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The advantage of having Alison on Mon to Fri, is we'd never have to listen to her say Sahurday instead of Saturday, ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I'm sure Alison Curtis is a very nice person but I just can't understand how she could be considered a good fit for a breakfast show on an Irish national radio station. For me, personality aside, her accent and horrid cackling laugh is worse than nails down a chalkboard... surely a person's voice (or quality thereof) is the number one criteria for someone working on radio? I just don't think a very strong regional/foreign accent works on radio. At all. Maybe Canadians would love her but we are a long way from Vancouver here.

By contrast, the likes of Dempsey and Phil Cawley have brilliant radio voice imo. I could easily listen to either of them read the phone book, whereas Alison's voice alone has me reaching for the mute button :(

She is terrible they must have been completely stuck to find some one to fill in this week.she makes me turnoff full stop the wind whistling outside is a better listen.
    She either saw some one do somthing at a Xmas party a few years back or is married selling the station to get a show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The way these two are fawning over Hozier is borderline embarassing. You'd swear he was music royalty. I'd say even Hozier himself is cringing at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

That's the default position in Today FM...everything is AWESOME...unless you are Miserable Matt where everything is a SCANDAL!!!

You should have heard Muireann after Roisin O caterwauled her way through Show Me heaven the other day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The way these two are fawning over Hozier is borderline embarassing. You'd swear he was music royalty. I'd say even Hozier himself is cringing at it.

Today FM do this with every Irish artist

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

It really sound's very Spin-ish with the 2 on now. Could only listen for a 2 mins. It's a station that's really lost it's identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Why did they get rid of Alison Curtis years ago ...or was it she jumped ship ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

It was a long time ago but I think she jumped ship to Phantom.
    Same ownership.

It was a lull time gig rather than the occasional stuff she was getting at Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I was listening to BBC Radio 1 a couple of weekends back - the difference in style compared to TodayFM (which I would listen to in the car) was very marked.

The DJ didn't talk a lot
    He was able to actually mix the songs in together
    The choice of songs was very good.

I'm aware that R1 is the 'yoof' station, but the only TodayFM presenter that would come close is Phil Cawley - in that he plays more than he talks, when he does talk he is decent and the song choices are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Ah but he's not a content creator. More fool him.

Oh no he’s back.... the fawning over him a few years avo with his first album by today fm was nauseating... playing his songs in the hour every hour, he’s good but Jaysus calm down about him

Oh no he’s back.... the fawning over him a few years avo with his first album by today fm was nauseating... playing his songs in the hour every hour, he’s good but Jaysus calm down about him

He's certainly better than the likes of Picture This or The Coronas or any band like that who I can't tell apart (at least he's got a distinctive voice and sound) but the way they were going on about him, it was like he was the second coming of christ or something. I'm sure the female presenter at one point exclaimied that she couldn't believe she was in the same room as him.

They are surely forced by their producers or whoever to get THAT excited about some moderately successful Irish artist, right? They have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Ah but he's not a content creator. More fool him.

:D:D:D

He's certainly better than the likes of Picture This or The Coronas or any band like that who I can't tell apart (at least he's got a distinctive voice and sound) but the way they were going on about him, it was like he was the second coming of christ or something. I'm sure the female presenter at one point exclaimied that she couldn't believe she was in the same room as him.

They are surely forced by their producers or whoever to get THAT excited about some moderately successful Irish artist, right? They have to be.

Oh he’s good but how much did they beat a couple of his songs to the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

You sound like you need a holiday

threein99 wrote: »
    You sound like you need a holiday

3 weeks in Australia would sort me out in a jiffy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Really enjoying the 2 guys filling in for D&D. Music is better too. Today for example they had Beachball by Nalin & Kane and Kings of Leon Fans on. Two great songs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Liking that Dec Pierce is bring a bit of old school dance to weekdays

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Really enjoying the 2 guys filling in for D&D. Music is better too. Today for example they had Beachball by Nalin & Kane and Kings of Leon Fans on. Two great songs

Fans was a big favorite of Ray D’Arcy back in the day when his show was at its pomp. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭prunudo

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Liking that Dec Pierce is bring a bit of old school dance to weekdays

He's a proper dj, steady at the control's and not a content creator.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Today FM is on the air 20+ years.....What would be the top 5 highest JNLR rated shows over that time?

1. Ray D'Arcy 2. Ian Dempsey 3. Ray Foley 4. Eamon Dunphy 5. Matt Cooper

Am I right or wrong with my guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

gamecube wrote: »
    Today FM is on the air 20+ years.....What would be the top 5 highest JNLR rated shows over that time?

1. Ray D'Arcy 2. Ian Dempsey 3. Ray Foley 4. Eamon Dunphy 5. Matt Cooper

Am I right or wrong with my guess?

Fenton? I'm fairly sure he was usually ahead of Foley

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I’ve only vague recollection, so I might be wrong, but despite the massive love-in for Foley on these boards (and god knows, on reflection, he was infinitely superior to what’s there today), I don’t think his numbers were ever that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Telly man

One time Tom Dunne's Pet sounds show had 100k listeners in the evening 7pm slot. Nowadays the lunchtime show is below 100k. Different times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Fans was a big favorite of Ray D’Arcy back in the day when his show was at its pomp. Good times.

Yup that.

Damien Dempsey and Mundy were like Picture This And Hozier. On every day.

Fiest - Inside And Out was another great one. Also Ray loved his Disco music and used get Rappers Delight on nearly once a week (or so it seemed)

Dec Pearce is showing that presenters have freedom in certain aspects of the show. Just most of them do not utilize this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

"What was your word for skipping school ?" Today's hard hitting topic on Muireann's show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’ve only vague recollection, so I might be wrong, but despite the massive love-in for Foley on these boards (and god knows, on reflection, he was infinitely superior to what’s there today), I don’t think his numbers were ever that great.

Didn’t Foley have the highest lunchtime ratings slot and they haven’t recovered since he left? Hence the whole King of radio sthick.

Advertisement