Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Colds and where to find them...

Options
  • 03-12-2016 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭

Nose running like a tap, violent sneezing and general feeling bleugh got me up early to shop for Anti-hystemine tablets, nasal spray, decongestant, lemsip, balm tissues and back to bed!

Tis the season! Are all other boardsies suffering too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

No, I feel fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm smothered. My nose has been pumping blood the past few weeks. I feel like I've been punched in the face. Sneezing, sniffly, heavy head but don't feel unwell thank god, just tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

The way I see it, better to get it out of the way now then to have it when you're off at Christmas. Had a mild dose a few weeks back so hopefully that will be it for a while.

Sarn wrote: »
    The way I see it, better to get it out of the way now then to have it when you're off at Christmas. Had a mild dose a few weeks back so hopefully that will be it for a while.

:confused: I don't think it works like that:confused:

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »
    :confused: I don't think it works like that:confused:

It can do yeh.

You build up an immunity to the strain of virus, so you're unlikely to get sick from the same strain again.

It's why the annual flu vaccination actually contains some of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Do you hear that......
    No?

That's me breathing through me nose, no dripping, no blockages, no nothing, I feel great

It can do yeh.

You build up an immunity to the strain of virus, so you're unlikely to get sick from the same strain again.

It's why the annual flu vaccination actually contains some of the virus.

But this is a cold, NOT influenza

But this is a cold, NOT influenza

I was just giving an example to try and illustrate the point. Clearly that failed.

A cold is a virus. The rest of my post still applies.

I was just giving an example to try and illustrate the point. Clearly that failed.

A cold is a virus. The rest of my post still applies.

oh right ted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I never get sick, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

jamesbere wrote: »
    Same. I haven't had a cold or flu in years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yeah, me too. Though I think I'm over the worst of it (it peaked yesterday). I've a nice relaxing day, with no appointments or plans for today to hopefully get rid of the last of it. I love a lazy Saturday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Nasal spray and Solpadeine are your friend. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I had it for 24 hours a few weeks ago. Went through three boxes of tissues in a night. I woke up the next day with a slight headache and that was all.

Grayson wrote: »
    I had it for 24 hours a few weeks ago. Went through three boxes of tissues in a night. I woke up the next day with a slight headache and that was all.

I haven't the engergy to fap 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Had a runny nose last week. Went to blow some snot out of my left nostril. I have a pretty full beard. Ended up with a spider web on my face.

I haven't the engergy to fap 😝

Using three boxes of tissues in a night. Is that like 80 faps or one big one?

And should I put it on my OK Cupid profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Nose running like fůck
    Head totally up my årse
    Boss not happy, balls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Completely agree with whoopsadoodles..if you get a cold, it'll usually be a good while before you get another.

I'm just over a cold.
    Started last Sunday, peaked Tuesday ( whole box of tissues in less than a day) and felt a lot better Wednesday.
    Tastebuds/sense of smell fully returned Thursday evening.

I won't get a cold for Christmas now..happy!
    PS It pays to buy the balm tissues when you've a cold. You won't get a nose like a babboon's ar*e cos the tissues are so soft.

• Advertisement

I remember reading that when you get a cold it's normally a cold you've already had. You shake off the cold but don't actually cure yourself. The virus remains dormant in your system and then pops up again when your immune system gets weakened. That's why you can get cold and then catch a cold, even though you haven't been in contact with someone who has the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rickfisher1988

Can I please make a public health announcement?

If you have a cold, please wash your hands so others don't get your germs.

Thanks
    Rick

Grayson wrote: »
    I remember reading that when you get a cold it's normally a cold you've already had. You shake off the cold but don't actually cure yourself. The virus remains dormant in your system and then pops up again when your immune system gets weakened. That's why you can get cold and then catch a cold, even though you haven't been in contact with someone who has the virus.

Not quite but not a million miles away.

The cold virus can hang around for up to two weeks. You might be lucky enough to carry it but not to get symptoms. It's why some people are more prone and some less prone to "getting colds". Most people will come in contact with the virus at some point when all around them are spreading it (wash your hands mankbags :p). Just that some will never get sick from it.

It's like when people say you'll catch a cold from getting wet. You won't. You may however, lower your immune system, but if you get a cold the day after getting caught in the rain, then you were most likely already carrying the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rickfisher1988

Topped up with IV paracemetol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jamesbere wrote: »
    I thought the same. Until I got my first cold in over 10 years, yesterday.

Still, it's only a cold. Could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anti-histamines are your friend when you have a cold.

Think about it. They stop rhinitis which has much the same symptoms as a cold! Try it. Brilliant.

And a hot whisky with lemon and honey makes it soooo much better at night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Antihistamines and the gym, or a run ..
    Take day one and pamper yourself, then get sweaty and get your blood moving. Tons and tons of vitamin D from August til July and bob's your uncle.

I thought you were not to exercise while I'll? It puts too much pressure on the heart

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I was exposed to it when around someone who had a heavy dose I had a very slight touch of it but my system fought it the same day. I never get sick anymore. I'm quite proud that I've boosted my immune system so much from a good nutritious diet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Head Colds and where to find them...

Maybe you mean

"Head Colds and how to avoid them" ...

Advertisement