Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food fads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Draugan

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    Actually, Pitt Bros doesn't do it properly, as all the reviews from confused Americans on Tripadvisor show. I've eaten there and the food was pretty awful.

Bison Bar on the quays does BBQ meats well though.
    Try Bison Bar on the quays if you're in the area. They do a proper slow cooked pulled pork. Brisket too. And some mean ribs.

Edit: D'oh, only just saw the post above mine. Ah well, now you know it's true.

Sorry lad's completely forgot Bison Bar have eaten there twice i think and to be fair it is pretty awesome the Brisket is unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    First time I heard about 'pulled pork' my dirty mind was doing overtime.

I'm sure whatever was going on in your mind was more interesting than pulled pork on a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

One thing that does annoy me is "soup of the day" on menus. What's so great about it? Why can't you just say "soup?" I know what that means.

"Soup of the day" would suggest that they cook a different flavor of soup fresh each day, so rather than print up several different menus they just say "of the day" and leave it to you to ask the waiter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

RWCNT wrote: »
    "Soup of the day" would suggest that they cook a different flavor of soup fresh each day, so rather than print up several different menus they just say "of the day" and leave it to you to ask the waiter.

What the poster was saying, I think, was that they could just say "Soup". They don't really need to specify if it's by the day or not :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

RWCNT wrote: »

I've yet to ask what the soup of the day is and get a reply that's not "Vegetable". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

What the poster was saying, I think, was that they could just say "Soup". They don't really need to specify if it's by the day or not :eek:

Ahhh, I get him now. Never thought of that before and fair point. As someone else has said, often it's the same tinned muck day-in day-out so a bit of a con as well as pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've yet to ask what the soup of the day is and get a reply that's not "Vegetable". ;)

Was in a restaurant with a few friends and one of them asked what the 'soup of the day' was. I smiled and said 'vegetable, its always vegetable'.

Well I got a look from the waitress that would cut you in half, and she informed me in the snootiest voice possible that I was wrong, that it was in fact ''leek and potato'' :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

You lost me after "I'm sat" - i just don't know what tense your in now - present or past, or maybe you're a time traveller, in which case you'd probably have some paradoxes to be worrying about instead of random words being shortened

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Well I got a look from the waitress that would cut you in half, and she informed me in the snootiest voice possible that I was wrong, that it was in fact ''leek and potato'' :D:D
    Well, to be fair, just "vegetable" usually refers to some anonymous gloopy greenish brown soup made up with whatever they have to hand rather than something specific. Also the majority of soups are vegetable based .. carrot and coriander, brocolli, cauliflower, celery, butternut squash, pea etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Biggest fad of them all is 'Organic' Pay twice the price for something NOT to be sprayed with chemicals?. Wasn't all food back in the day organic?. Also whom decides is it organic?. Perhaps it's just the same. Pure money racket the whole thing.

Lot to be said for organic. I prefer to not have my carrots sprayed with 'round up' and my chicken to not be raised in a cage on antibiotics and pumped up like a bodybuilder.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Salted caramel is another current food trend. It's about to go off too, I think, because it's creeping into mass-produced produce. It's lovely though. :)

Nooo!! No salt in chocolate!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Wierd soups.

Freezing yesterday, really fancied a nice bowl of soup in the canteen (sorry, "employees cafe" - gits)

Anyway - it was "Ginger and Apple".

That's a fupping cookie!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Salt actually pulls more flavour out of the caramel.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Yeees!! Yes salt in chocolate!!!

I've tried it and, counterintuitive as it may be, it actually works.
    There are salted caramel, chocolate, and shortbread things available in Dunnes which are bloody delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Worst I ever saw was a pop-up shop (another fad for another day) selling only Crisp sandwiches up here. Full to the brim with hipsters. Good thing it was only open a couple of weeks and closed.

Cereal only cafe's is another. Paying some bloke for a bowl of cereal and a drop of milk.

Same goes for that boojum place, it's like any mexican take away you'd ever see, basically go in choose your fillings for a burrito, and the amount of people queued up outside is staggering, you'd think they were giving away the cure to cancer.

You can sell anything to dummies if it's deemed cool enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

weemcd wrote: »
    Hmm, I can't help but wonder if there's any way cyanide could be marketed as "cool" to Hipsters??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

What was it a little while ago, blueberries and spinach were 'superfoods' whatever that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

What was it a little while ago, blueberries and spinach were 'superfoods' whatever that means.

No, dummy. This week they cause cancer. Jeez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Sorry lad's completely forgot Bison Bar have eaten there twice i think and to be fair it is pretty awesome the Brisket is unreal

+1, Bison Bar's brisket was outstanding. Very succulent. Pitt Bros's brisket was very disappointing in comparison, very dry.

But if you just saw 'soup' written on the menu, you'd wonder why they didn't say what kind. Saying 'soup of the day' lets you know that it varies.
    Same goes for that boojum place, it's like any mexican take away you'd ever see, basically go in choose your fillings for a burrito, and the amount of people queued up outside is staggering, you'd think they were giving away the cure to cancer.

Gotta stick up for Boojum and other burrito places, they are fantastic value. You can fill your boots with good quality grub for six or seven quid. If you're out and about, it's a cheap, nutritious, filling dinner. That's why they are so popular.

Cereal and crisp sandwich cafés can indeed feck off though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Water. People seem to think drinking water is some magical potion. People(including myself) drink far too much water nowadays especially given our climate. There is no need to lug 3 litres of waters a day into yourself, maybe sometimes but going out of your way just to get water down you is very faddish. I was talking to a Russian girl(good looking and well of for the record), said in Russia drinking water like we do in Europe just isn't a thing that people do.

About 10 years ago bodybuilding was still fairly niche and the typical bodybuilding diet would have been viewed as odd by the mainstream. However with the recent fad and growth of gym culture, people have added mythical properties to foods. Honestly diet is a bit overrated. You aren't going to look or feel considerably different if you eat a home cooked pizza instead of grilled chicken and broccoli. You really have to be eating poorly and then switch to a good balanced diet to notice any difference but the vast majority of people would have balanced diets where they get all their nutrition in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

But if you just saw 'soup' written on the menu, you'd wonder why they didn't say what kind. Saying 'soup of the day' lets you know that it varies.

Gotta stick up for Boojum and other burrito places, they are fantastic value. You can fill your boots with good quality grub for six or seven quid. If you're out and about, it's a cheap, nutritious, filling dinner. That's why they are so popular.

Cereal and crisp sandwich cafés can indeed feck off though.

Haven't been to that boojum place but Pablo picantes is good. Their one beside Peter's pub by Stephens Green has a second place that does sandwiches, which are fecking gorgeous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Burittos are delish. Thank god they eventually made their way here as a fast food. I remember you could only get them in sit down restaurants and they were just fajitas.

BTW its really hard to get burittos throughout Europe, Spanish hate Mexican food(although strictly speaking burritos are Californian) and Germany and Northern Europe are dominated by kebab shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Next up: meat pies!

No seriously they're class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Worst I ever saw was a pop-up shop (another fad for another day) selling only Crisp sandwiches up here. Full to the brim with hipsters. Good thing it was only open a couple of weeks and closed.

Cereal only cafe's is another. Paying some bloke for a bowl of cereal and a drop of milk.

I wouldnt mind, but ive been to mexico, and the food there tastes nothing like the **** filled burrito they sell in Boojum. literally buy a taco for 10 cent in mexico and its heaven. ****ing almost a tenner for hte same thing Poojum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Am I a vegetarian if all the animals I munch on only eat veg?

Does it count?

shane9689 wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind, but ive been to mexico, and the food there tastes nothing like the **** filled burrito they sell in Boojum. literally buy a taco for 10 cent in mexico and its heaven. ****ing almost a tenner for hte same thing Poojum

Mexico... Ireland. There's a reason for the difference in price there. You can get a huge taco or burrito in places like Boojum for six or seven euro. That's a cheap dinner with lots of veg and meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Lot to be said for organic. I prefer to not have my carrots sprayed with 'round up' and my chicken to not be raised in a cage on antibiotics and pumped up like a bodybuilder.

Spraying carrots with roundup wouldn't be very profitable for a farmer, organic or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Billy86 wrote: »
    Next up: meat pies!

No seriously they're class.

There are no decent meat pies in Ireland.. All muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

As a non-believer I don't think anyone should be forced to eat meat just because Jesus was mad about turkey dinners.

Advertisement