Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Searched hi and lo in the states and all I got was the QC25 for $120, refurbed but mint, happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

sweetie wrote: »
    Searched hi and lo in the states and all I got was the QC25 for $120, refurbed but mint, happy enough
    what a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

only available on the Silver colour, guess which one sold the better so :pac:

Yes if bought online but I went up there Christmas Eve, had a pair of Silver in my hand and the guy took them up to the till for me, there were no Black ones in the glass press, only Silver. I was about to go ahead and buy them when a lady who was buying a pair asked one of the guys did they have them in black and he went off and returned a few pairs in black. I changed mine for Black, same price so was happy with that. Having used them a lot since they sound great and where they excel is the noise cancelling. From all the noise cancelling headphones I have tried the QC35 were the best hands down when it came to the Noise Cancelling tech. Even just putting them on your head and turning them on blanks out ambient sound. BTW if using them with a cable(if say the battery runs out) you loose the noise cancelling. However the battery life is amazing, the 20hrs stated on the Bose website is not an exaggeration. I have the older Bose AE2W which have a very dodgy Bluetooth implementation but the QC35 are way better in all respects. For €379 they are a bit pricy but for €299 they are a good deal and worth the money. It looks like the Harvey Norman deal is over but they normally pop up with the same deals on the next Sales and you can find them elsewhere for the €300 mark, just watch out for shipping costs.

Bose are fairly okay in sound quality anyways, it's the noise cancelling that always sets them apart. It seems they're beginning to be challenged there finally. Sony MDR 1000x seem to be getting excellent reviews, i love the pass through feature on it (you tap the right cup and it opens the mics, so you don't have to take them off to hear any information). I'm waiting on the new B&O h9 (and a sale)which should destroy the bose in SQ, just need to see if they've got on top of the ANC.

Was looking closely at getting these but at €529 they are nearly twice the price of the QC35. I did not find them as comfortable as the Bose either. Audio quality is similar and as someone had already said if it's audio quality you are after buy headphones that do not have any Noise Cancelling tech.

bk wrote: »
    It uses a lithium ion battery similar to your phone or laptop and no it isn't replaceable, at least not day to day replaceable, these sort of things often can be replaced by a repair place, but no guarantee.

Something to keep in mind, I have the Bose AEW2 that use a detachable Bluetooth dongle. I lost the dongle and when I contacted Bose they could sell me the dongle for about €120, bit of a ripoff but they did offer a replacement deal to upgrade to a newer version for about £100, this is a while ago but it does seem like they operate an upgrade path to the newer versions, worth a try if and when your battery starts to loose it puff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I tried these on in Harvey Norman today and they were freaking incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

sweetie wrote: »

Where'd you find that deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I tried these on in Harvey Norman today and they were freaking incredible

They really are, I use mine in the office and they block out so much and allow me to concentrate more on what I'm doing.

My mate at work is picking up these:

https://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplayh9

It'll be interesting to see how they compare to my Bose QC 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Btw folks, something that may be relevant for people sitting on the fence, it sounds like the Samsung Galaxy S8 is going to do away with the headphone jack as well. So that trend is continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

errlloyd wrote: »
    Btw folks, something that may be relevant for people sitting on the fence, it sounds like the Samsung Galaxy S8 is going to do away with the headphone jack as well. So that trend is continuing.

Once one starts the rest will follow. I don't think Apple suffered too badly as a result of removing it, eventually it becomes the norm and people just get used to it. Now if we could get Apple to use USB C and have this as the universal connector across all phones it would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Now if we could get Apple to use USB C and have this as the universal connector across all phones it would be great.

Not going to happen unfortunately, will happen on the end of the cable that plugs into the wall charger but not into the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Would like to pick up a pair but shipping from Amazon Spain delivers the day after I go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I got mine delivered last week, ordered from HN website.

Using them at home didn't do them any justice at all. Yes, I was impressed at how they cancelled out the noise of the fridge and the central heating but I was a bit disappointed with the sound quality. I have two pairs of decent wired Sennheisers which both beat the QC35s into a cocked hat for sound quality. They're good but definitely not great.

Now I'm back in work, my desk is about 5 metres from a production line with its cacophony of noises from conveyoring, motor drives, air cylinders and solenoids.
    These things are the business! Near silence when turned on and the ability to listen to music at a volume I like, rather than loud enough to drown out the ambient noise.

Very comfortable to wear too. I was surprised at how light they are considering the electronic black magic that goes on inside and the 20 hour battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

milltown wrote: »
    I got mine delivered last week, ordered from HN website.

Using them at home didn't do them any justice at all. Yes, I was impressed at how they cancelled out the noise of the fridge and the central heating but I was a bit disappointed with the sound quality. I have two pairs of decent wired Sennheisers which both beat the QC35s into a cocked hat for sound quality. They're good but definitely not great.

Now I'm back in work, my desk is about 5 metres from a production line with its cacophony of noises from conveyoring, motor drives, air cylinders and solenoids.
    These things are the business! Near silence when turned on and the ability to listen to music at a volume I like, rather than loud enough to drown out the ambient noise.

Very comfortable to wear too. I was surprised at how light they are considering the electronic black magic that goes on inside and the 20 hour battery life.

Those QC 35's sound the b*llox! Well if anyone wants to sell theirs I'll trade you a ps2 with 4 games and a 2gb ipod nano! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Yes if bought online but I went up there Christmas Eve, had a pair of Silver in my hand and the guy took them up to the till for me, there were no Black ones in the glass press, only Silver. I was about to go ahead and buy them when a lady who was buying a pair asked one of the guys did they have them in black and he went off and returned a few pairs in black. I changed mine for Black, same price so was happy with that. Having used them a lot since they sound great and where they excel is the noise cancelling. From all the noise cancelling headphones I have tried the QC35 were the best hands down when it came to the Noise Cancelling tech. Even just putting them on your head and turning them on blanks out ambient sound. BTW if using them with a cable(if say the battery runs out) you loose the noise cancelling. However the battery life is amazing, the 20hrs stated on the Bose website is not an exaggeration. I have the older Bose AE2W which have a very dodgy Bluetooth implementation but the QC35 are way better in all respects. For €379 they are a bit pricy but for €299 they are a good deal and worth the money. It looks like the Harvey Norman deal is over but they normally pop up with the same deals on the next Sales and you can find them elsewhere for the €300 mark, just watch out for shipping costs.

There is a batch of the QC35s with the same dodgy bluetooth chipset. Mine are on their way back for a replacement. I bought them basically at launch and the bluetooth went slowly downhill to where it was lately where it would drop out, skip, or if I opened the Bose Connect app, completely stop until I rebooted the headphones.

When I called Bose I spent more time giving them details for my account than I did explaining the issue. Not sure if it is just good customer service or a known issue. That said I'll happily take another set. These are magic for working anywhere where there is loud background noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Any chance you could post the receipt for that here? Remove any personally identifiable info of course. It would be useful to have a receipt showing a black pair sold for 299 in HN.

I'll be going up to Carrickmines tomorrow to try and buy a black pair and I bet I will run into a sales guy that won't want to sell the black pair at that price so being able to show them a pic of a receipt would be great.

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. Would the receipt be any use to you now? It's filed away carefully in my expenses folder ;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

faigs wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. Would the receipt be any use to you now? It's filed away carefully in my expenses folder ;)

Well considering they have gone back to original price of €379, I very much doubt it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well considering they have gone back to original price of €379, I very much doubt it :)

I didn't realise their sale had ended, sorry.

They didn't display the sale price in Carrickmines when I got mine, I asked the sales assistant if they had been reduced to €299 and he said they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

£279 in Dixon's Heathrow today, about €322.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

faigs wrote: »
    I didn't realise their sale had ended, sorry.

They didn't display the sale price in Carrickmines when I got mine, I asked the sales assistant if they had been reduced to €299 and he said they were.

Thanks, anyway. I caved and bought them for about 330 delivered on Amazon last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

great head phones.. blue tooth is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 westside

These are 319 in Dixons in Dublin airport if anyone is traveling
    How would the QC30's compare to these as I would not be able to wear these at work but in ear earphones are ok?

Can the noise cancellation be turned off on these? A review I read said it can't (was the only "con" given about them). But using a work colleagues a while back I could have sworn he turned it off first and then turned it on to demonstrate how effective the cancellation is.

They are 311 euro delivered on Amazon.es, not bad but really should have bitten in the Harvey Norman sale.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

westside wrote: »
    These are 319 in Dixons in Dublin airport if anyone is traveling
    How would the QC30's compare to these as I would not be able to wear these at work but in ear earphones are ok?

For inears, I think people recommend the QC20's rather then the QC30's. I'm not sure what it is now, but I remember reading that there were some issues with the QC30's

I've the QC20 and they are absolutely excellent. They even have more noise cancelling ability then the QC35's according to websites that have done lab testing of both. This is particularly true for people who wear glasses.

Obviously they are wired, rather then bluetooth wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fourtwozero

This has me in a quandary, bluetooth lowers audio quality - its not really suited to audio. However If the other phone companies follow suit and remove the headphone jack I dont want to be stuck with a €300 set of ear warmers. WIFI based headphones would make more sense, as long as the extra power requirements could be met.

This has me in a quandary, bluetooth lowers audio quality - its not really suited to audio. However If the other phone companies follow suit and remove the headphone jack I dont want to be stuck with a €300 set of ear warmers. WIFI based headphones would make more sense, as long as the extra power requirements could be met.

I agree that Wifi seems like a good solution - but how would it actually work when you're out and about? Would the headphones create a hotspot that your phone connects to (thus preventing your phone using any other wifi), or would your phone create a hotspot for your headphones (burning your battery). And if every phone on the packed dart carriage was creating a wifi network, the interference would be awful.

To me the solution is a partnership between Spotify (or competitor) and Bose (or competitor). Give the headphones a few gigs of memory etc, allow them to be a paired device for people who have spotify premium - and sync their playlists when they are on wifi, and merely use the spotify app on your phone as a remote control. That'd be slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I agree that Wifi seems like a good solution - but how would it actually work when you're out and about? Would the headphones create a hotspot that your phone connects to (thus preventing your phone using any other wifi), or would your phone create a hotspot for your headphones (burning your battery). And if every phone on the packed dart carriage was creating a wifi network, the interference would be awful.

To me the solution is a partnership between Spotify (or competitor) and Bose (or competitor). Give the headphones a few gigs of memory, allow them to be a paired device for people who have spotify premium - and sync their playlists when they are on wifi, and merely use the spotify app on your phone as a remote control. That'd be slick.

Many features use WiFi without being connected to an actual WiFI SSID. Airdrop on iOS is one.

Bluetooth is used as it's more efficient. There's a multitude of factors that determine audio quality, bluetooth plays a small part in this.

TBH you shouldn't be buying these for sound quality, these are purely I'm in a plane or work in a noisy environment and would like semi-decent sound at a reasonable volume level and they fit that bill nicely. They live in my carry-on bag.

TBH you shouldn't be buying these for sound quality, these are purely I'm in a plane or work in a noisy environment and would like semi-decent sound at a reasonable volume level and they fit that bill nicely. They live in my carry-on bag.

Cool, I didn't realise WiFi worked like that.

I agree with you about the sound quality on BOSE, but I think headphones as a completely separate smart device has potential. Obviously they don't have to be BOSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

To me the solution is a partnership between Spotify (or competitor) and Bose (or competitor). Give the headphones a few gigs of memory etc, allow them to be a paired device for people who have spotify premium - and sync their playlists when they are on wifi, and merely use the spotify app on your phone as a remote control. That'd be slick.
    Philips did that for some wireless speakers and I think they were a flop (at least they were reduced on here a lot)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I wouldn't worry too much about that, at the very least you can just get a Bluetooth to 3.5mm converter. I use a cheap one to make my head phones wireless and it works quite well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement