Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi redmi note 4

Options
  • 30-11-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

I ordered one of these last week, should be here the end of this week or early next week. The specs and reviews seem quite good, any others take the plunge?

I'm moving from a oneplus one which has been a great phone for the most part so I'm hoping it will be a little step up from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I got one of these recently. Overall i find it fine. The camera however is just awful. Not impressed with it at all.

I've not been able to get it to function with connecting to my work network so I have ended up reverting back to my old phone.

That said I'm not wholly comfortable with trying to uvlock the bootloader and putting a global rom myself as I am a bit clueless

This link might be of some use to you though, it was shared here by another poster in the Chinese android thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/index

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Kamili wrote: »
    I got one of these recently. Overall i find it fine. The camera however is just awful. Not impressed with it at all.

I've not been able to get it to function with connecting to my work network so I have ended up reverting back to my old phone.

That said I'm not wholly comfortable with trying to uvlock the bootloader and putting a global rom myself as I am a bit clueless

This link might be of some use to you though, it was shared here by another poster in the Chinese android thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/index

Thanks for that. The camera I thought would be ok as it's 13mp, I wonder would a different camera app make a difference or is it just a crappy lens or something? The opo has a good camera so I would miss that alright... I'll check out the link now.

I was wondering the same. My old phone has a zeiss lens so I'm comparing it to that which I suppose could be why I think its so bad. I've not tried another camera app on it yet, but I do suspect its the lens
    I was recording video the other day on it and it was very grainy which very much disappointed me. Pretty much looked like those low pixel cameras when they first came out on phones.

crappy camera is mentioned here so might just be the way the phone processes it

http://techtablets.com/2016/09/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-review/

on the note of the fingerprint reader, it doesn't always work and I've ended up reverting to using a pin, which can be a little frustrating as its a very handy (sorry) feature!

It works if the phone was used recently, but if its just turned on or has been left a while it doesn't respond. Its handy though as you can lock certain apps and only open them upon a scan of the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anyone have issues with the phone connecting to your Network?

I'm with 3, but when I popped in my Sim, it registers as O2, and the roaming symbol appears. I have manually changed networks to 3, but the roaming symbol still appears

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I'm with 3, but when I popped in my Sim, it registers as O2, and the roaming symbol appears. I have manually changed networks to 3, but the roaming symbol still appears

That's a three network thing. I left them about 2 years back, it used to drive me nuts. Well documented on the three forum.

My note 4 should be arriving tomorrow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Mine does that too, it says 02-IRL. 02 is on the 3 network so its the same as 3. With the roaming - I was talking to three about that and they said in order for the phone to work I should switch on the roaming and because its a chinese phone the roaming symbol will always show, but while you're in Ireland you won't get charged roaming fees (obviously) :) I find the camera itself fine, but if you open it through an app e.g. snapchat/ whatsapp it doesn't seem to be as good which is odd. I really like the phone, it was a bit of an impulse purchase but for the price of it its way beyond any other phone I've had. I refuse to go to bill pay and I also refuse to pay 600 for a phone so am usually very limited in what I get. Looking now, I might have gone for the 3 instead of the 4 as its a wee bit smaller, but you get used to the size after a while! 
    (thats what he said)

Phone arrived yesterday. I set it up but only really got to play around with it this evening. I'm fairly impressed. I'm coming from a oneplus one which was/is a great phone, the main attraction to the note 4 was the mega battery.
    I haven't had a chance to try out the camera much yet, have only taken a few quick snaps which wouldn't really require any great quality but they looked ok.
    The UI seems pretty slick and I generally prefer vanilla android to "skinned" android. I'm still getting it set up properly, but I'm not finding much I dislike. There is a bit of messing about with app permissions to make sure notifications get through, so I've already missed a few texts on viber but I think I have that sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Did you order this phone direct from their website ?

Did you order this phone direct from their website ?

I bought it from geekbuying. All those reseller website were very similar, I went with them because of the delivery time...which turned out to be complete fiction so I'd probably just order from aliexpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Phone arrived yesterday. I set it up but only really got to play around with it this evening.  I'm fairly impressed. I'm coming from a oneplus one which was/is a great phone, the main attraction to the note 4 was the mega battery.
    I haven't had a chance to try out the camera much yet, have only taken a few quick snaps which wouldn't really require any great quality but they looked ok.
    The UI seems pretty slick and I generally prefer vanilla android to "skinned" android. I'm still getting it set up properly, but I'm not finding much I dislike. There is a bit of messing about with app permissions to make sure notifications get through, so I've already missed a few texts on viber but I think I have that sorted now.
    Battery is pretty super - I'm a heavy phone user and it would often still be at 30% at night when going to bed!

• Advertisement

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Battery is pretty super - I'm a heavy phone user and it would often still be at 30% at night when going to bed!

Absolutely. I was very happy with the performance of my OPO, the battery was starting to suffer a little but this has been brilliant so far. It's the main reason I went for the phone

I dont find the battery life to be that good.

I'm coming from a Huawei Ascend G7, with a 3,000 mAh battery. This one has a 4,100 mAh battery and it doesn't seem as good

I dont find the battery life to be that good.

I'm coming from a Huawei Ascend G7, with a 3,000 mAh battery. This one has a 4,100 mAh battery and it doesn't seem as good

I guess it depends what way you have it set up and what is running on it etc. I'm finding it great. I do have a few connectivity issues, but that may be a setting I need to look into...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Picked one of these up as I broke my s7... So far so good...

I'm guessing this device is not 4g capable?

Picked one of these up as I broke my s7... So far so good...

I'm guessing this device is not 4g capable?

It is, are you on three or one of the mvnos?

It is, are you on three or one of the mvnos?

Three, have a 4g plan

Three, have a 4g plan

And just now I got the LTE signal, I presume that's the same as the 4g signal?

Three, have a 4g plan

There's your problem. Three's network is overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

There's your problem. Three's network is overloaded.

you'll still get on 4G in most urban areas, whether you'll be able to actually do anything while connected is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Ordered the phone last Sunday week direct from the website and arrived on Friday. Excellent phone so far. Impressed with speed, battery, camera and screen resolution. The phone is 2/3 and 4G compatible ( haven't tried out 4G as yet). Great value for such a high spec phone. 😀😀🤑🤑

• Advertisement

no NFC on this?

loyatemu wrote: »
    no NFC on this?

Don't think so.

In fairness, i've had loads of phones with NFC, and have never used the feature once

Don't think so.

In fairness, i've had loads of phones with NFC, and have never used the feature once

I've been using it to top up my Leap card, and now Android Pay is here I'd expect NFC to become ubiquitous on Android phones.

Ironically Xiaomi have launched their own version called Mi Pay but it only works on one of their phones because the others all don't have NFC.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've been using it to top up my Leap card, and now Android Pay is here I'd expect NFC to become ubiquitous on Android phones.

Ironically Xiaomi have launched their own version called Mi Pay but it only works on one of their phones because the others all don't have NFC.

Ah, of course - then it would make a whole heap of sense for you to have a NFC device.

With me being firmly stuck in the Shticks, i have little occasion to use the feature. Must be handy for Leap alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Hi,

Recently bought the snapdragon global version of the Redmi Note 4 via Honorbuy.
    Slightly more expensive but fast no customs and wait.

I am very happy with the hardware, especially battery life is incredible. Less happy with MIUI. Not good if every application made by Xiaomi wants to connect to the internet and has a disclaimer even Microsoft could learn from...

So I apllied for the boot loader unlock code. After a week of trying (what a nonsense process btw), I finally have it unlocked and my first thought was to download TWRP and then install something nice.

I have 2 questions other people might have stumbled onto:

I am on MIUI 8.1.15.0 and when I read XDA forums here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-4/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-snapdragon-roms-kernels-recoveries--other-development/recovery-twrp-3-0-3-0-redmi-note-4-sd-t3549970
    it says that 8.1.15.0 doesn't work with flashing TWRP?

Is this true and what can I do to install TWRP?

2) Does anyone know of an app that lists all the radio bands on my device. I want to verify that I got the international version with band 20 support.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

hey

Can I ask for any advice on where to buy one of these phones? anything I need to include, for customs etc. It looks like a really good phone for the price, but I don't seem to be able to find a purchase website for one.

thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ph03nix89

Also interested in buying a note 4. Can anyone tell me if they've had any issues with 4g coverage in Ireland or setting the home country?

Ph03nix89 wrote: »
    Also interested in buying a note 4. Can anyone tell me if they've had any issues with 4g coverage in Ireland or setting the home country?

Ireland is not an option for Home Country. I chose Germany, have no issues.

With regard to 4G connectivity, its very hit and miss. A lot of the time, my phone goes to roaming mode, and i have H+ with the o2 network show up (i'm with 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ph03nix89

With regard to 4G connectivity, its very hit and miss. A lot of the time, my phone goes to roaming mode, and i have H+ with the o2 network show up (i'm with 3)

Thanks. Which version of the device do you own out of curiosity?
    Does it have the Helio or the Snapdragon chipset?

• Advertisement

I think thats specifically a three issue, sounds like you are getting pushed onto the old O2 masts which have not been upgraded yet.

I could be wrong though.

I'm on meteor and have not had much issue with 4G at all.

Advertisement