Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your children to meetings

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Western corporate culture needs to get baby friendly and fast. Our society isn't reproducing fast enough to keep ourselves going due to the anti family nature of our work lives not to mention the prohibitive cost of childcare. Our pension structure is based on an older societal model in which people had a few kids and did it young. If we all want pensions in the coming decades we need to have more babies. Immigration won't cover this on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Western corporate culture needs to get baby friendly and fast. Our society isn't reproducing fast enough to keep ourselves going due to the anti family nature of our work lives not to mention the prohibitive cost of childcare. Our pension structure is based on an older societal model in which people had a few kids and did it young. If we all want pensions in the coming decades we need to have more babies. Immigration won't cover this on its own.

Yea but kids are annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

I don't think the issue is child friendly society, more than child friendly economy. The olden days one earner was enough to pay for a family to get along fine, now it is not so much. Between huge mortgages and high tax to support welfare and a bloated overpaid public sector (who seem to be arguing for free healthcare for themselves) and the extremely high cost of child daycare, people simply can't afford to have kids as early or as much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

biko wrote: »
    The onus is not on me to have google whatever OP mentions, hoping to find the article or whatever she/he intended .
    The onus is on OP to provide a clear and concise post.

You make 2 posts, neither have anything to do with the topic. Rabble rabble op is makimg things up, Waa Waa why am I expected to do anything for myself!
    What excellent contributions to the discussion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I reckon kids would probably enhance some of the meetings I've been in.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there would probably be something actually achieved in the meeting with their input.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I don't want to drag up the kids in restaurants argument again, but am I the only one who thinks that there is a time and a place for kids, just as there is for adults only and also for kids & adults together? I couldn't take anyone seriously who brought a kid to a meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

You mean Alcoholic Anonymous meetings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

A Dail creche? Can you imagine?!

Gino Kenny's nipper beating seven shades of shiite out of Lucinda's little darling kid.

The Healy-Rae cousins, hands covered in chocolate, climbing up the fancy curtains.

The Fianna Fail babies dropping off little brown envelopes.

And there, in the middle of them all, Jack Chambers playing Nintendo DS instead of doing his homework. Tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

And there, in the middle of them all, Jack Chambers playing Nintendo DS instead of doing his homework. Tut tut.

Jack Chambers peddling around Leinster House on his tricycle.
    Like Billy the puppet from the Saw films.

...I want to play a game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Not a Nintendo DS. After Christmas 2016, Junior will be bestowed with a Nintendo Classic Mini. Nothing less. ;):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

A Dail creche? Can you imagine?!

Gino Kenny's nipper beating seven shades of shiite out of Lucinda's little darling kid.

The Healy-Rae cousins, hands covered in chocolate, climbing up the fancy curtains.

The Fianna Fail babies dropping off little brown envelopes.

There is already a dail creche, and a creche in woodquay that councillors can drop their chdren in to. Clares vision, (she's been on rte radio 1again) is young children being breastfeed , while 12 year olds do their homework, sitting beside their parents, until 8,9 and 10pm at night. 3 year olds would be "accomodated". She had a meeting from 8-10am this morning and found it difficult to get childcare.

There is already a dail creche, and a creche in woodquay that councillors can drop their chdren in to. Clares vision, (she's been on rte radio 1again) is young children being breastfeed , while 12 year olds do their homework, sitting beside their parents, until 8,9 and 10pm at night. 3 year olds would be "accomodated". She had a meeting from 8-10am this morning and found it difficult to get childcare.

Heard her talking to Kathryn Thomas, and loved it when someone (a mum) texted in to tell Byrne to get a grip and go and pay for her own childcare like the rest of us do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Sometimes you just have to make choices in life. If a certain type of career is not conducive with being able to spend the time you want with your children, then you just have to accept that career is not for you.

People who think they can have it all need to start being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sometimes you just have to make choices in life. If a certain type of career is not conducive with being able to spend the time you want with your children, then you just have to accept that career is not for you.

People who think they can have it all need to start being realistic.
    But it's reasonable to ask whether "a certain type of career" has to be not conducive to spending the time you want with your children. In this particular instance, as others have already pointed out there's already a creche in Leinster House, but it hasn't been pointed out that the creche keeps conventional office hours, whereas the Dail certainly does not, regularly not starting sittings until 2 p.m and then sitting until 10 p.m. or later.

That could be fixed by having the creche open whenever either House is sitting, or by reconsidering the odd sitting hours. But, either way, I don't see why anyone should assume that, if a particular career path is not family-friendly, it has to be that way. Is it really in the public interest to arrange parliamentary business so as strongly to discourage signficant sections of the population from following a parliamentary career?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

BattleCorp wrote: »
    or whether to diversify into scat.

Never a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Peregrinus wrote: »
    But it's reasonable to ask whether "a certain type of career" has to be not conducive to spending the time you want with your children. In this particular instance, as others have already pointed out there's already a creche in Leinster House, but it hasn't been pointed out that the creche keeps conventional office hours, whereas the Dail certainly does not, regularly not starting sittings until 2 p.m and then sitting until 10 p.m. or later.

That could be fixed by having the creche open whenever either House is sitting, or by reconsidering the odd sitting hours. But, either way, I don't see why anyone should assume that, if a particular career path is not family-friendly, it has to be that way. Is it really in the public interest to arrange parliamentary business so as strongly to discourage signficant sections of the population from following a parliamentary career?

Fair enough. That's a good point. But rather than advocating to have children brought to meetings, or being in crèches until all hours of the night, maybe the whole way parliamentary business is undertaken should be reviewed to ensure maximum engagement by different demographics.

But I take your general point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I agree. The optimal solution here is probably neither kids in meetings nor late-night creches. But the general point is that it's not enough to say that they way many careers are arranged facilitates the involvement of certain groups and tends to impede others. This is true, but it's not an explanation; it's a problem. The always valid question is, what can we do about it?

Advertisement