Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your children to meetings

Options
  • 30-11-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

This is one of the stuppidest proposal that I've heard in a long time. How can a meeting proceed with children present? Would firefighters be able to bring their children to work too. The dail has a creche but politics should be made more family friendly.

Would you attend a meeting with your colleagues nippers running round?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This is one of the stuppidest proposal that I've heard in a long time. How can a meeting proceed with children present? Would firefighters be able to bring their children to work too. The dail has a creche but politics should be made more family friendly.

Yes, of course I'd bring my children to meetings. Especially meetings where we are discussing the artistic merits of our next beastality movie production, or whether to diversify into scat. Sure what could go wrong? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If you are childless can you bring children too?
    Half a dozen for each attendee sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Absolutely, I take direct instructions from the small overlords, ignoring their witless providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Any context for this?

Is it a Blueberry Pickers of Bilbo proposal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

It is just a progression from the "baby on board" car stickers.
    "baby on board of directors" stickers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ensure to have at least one person with tourettes, so that the parents never bring their kids again... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Any context for this?

Is it a Blueberry Pickers of Bilbo proposal?

Clare something from dcc is prosing the motion. She says that women are prevented from entering politics because they are all single mothers. This is her solution. Children in the chambers. And a late night creche in the dail. She was ranting on rte radio earlier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I remember sitting in on a meeting at my mothers work when I was a kid, along with my sister and another lad. They seemed to think we'd sit quitely giving us each a bottle of Lucazade. The old glass'uns. Needless to say we were somewhat energetic so they asked us to the leave the room. We ended up running up and down the stairs as fast as we could.

Can't be having that these days. No more glass bottles of Lucazde :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Would the kids get to go on foreign jollies with their County Councillor parents?
    Not a family holiday at all...a working trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The poor kids. As a child sitting in on a meeting would be less interesting equivalent of a long mass I'd imagine. The sitting still, the dull monotone adult conversations sounding like white noise washing over your head and no one interesting to stare at. Sounds ill conceived to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How old are the kids? I can see a baby feeding being ok. I think a three year old would just be a distraction unless there's a dedicated child minder in the corner of the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Wasn't there a big hullaballoo a few years ago when a male politician brought his small daughter to a meeting in the Dáil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

My colleague brought her toddler into the office once because her minder had an apt. I didn't have much of an issue with it in theory.

But the child. Oh god the child. She was so loud. Crying and shouting and refusing to sit still (who could blame her I suppose). It was seriously inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Maybe hire a Clown perhaps, to keep the kiddies entertained in a corner of the Council Chamber?

Not like there's a shortage of Clowns in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Meetings sounds wrong alright,

I also get annoyed at my local gym seeing all these yuppie, designer clothes wearing, BMW driving parents keeping up appearances with the other yuppie, designer clothes wearing, BMW driving parents while they bring their sprogs to swimming or judo or whatever and leave their other kids (kids of all ages) in a busy noisy lobby to do their f**king homework.

Kid should be at home in a quiet area to do their homework, end of story!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

diomed wrote: »
    If you are childless can you bring children too?

Sure, just pick up random kids on your way

"Hey kid, wanna try something cool? Ever run an idea up the flagpole to see who salutes?"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where does it end though, what if I want to bring my german shephard to a meeting and the other person wants to bring a new born baby that looks like a fresh steak to my dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Where does it end though, what if I want to bring my german shephard to a meeting and the other person wants to bring a new born baby that looks like a fresh steak to my dog?
    Your child is a German shepherd?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Your child is a German shepherd?

I could call it my child if I wanted to, these PC arseholes would allow me to but they need to respect out and out non PC fookwits like me who challenge their idiotic principles. You have these workplaces like Google etc that let employees being their pets to work and all is well and happy as a pig in their own pure ****e at the desk and on the carpet until one of their fellow employees loses a finger and their glamour employer rating gets damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Wasn't there a big hullaballoo a few years ago when a male politician brought his small daughter to a meeting in the Dáil?

That green party clown, Eamon Ryan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That green party clown, Eamon Ryan?

"If I can make a point"

That's his catchphrase I noticed...

Every

Time

He

Talks

He says it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

taking after Licia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I could call it my child if I wanted to, these PC arseholes would allow me to but they need to respect out and out non PC fookwits like me who challenge their idiotic principles . . .
    The voices in your head are not your friends, Atlantic Dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Clare something from dcc is prosing the motion. She says that women are prevented from entering politics because they are all single mothers. This is her solution. Children in the chambers. And a late night creche in the dail. She was ranting on rte radio earlier.

Women (and men!) don't bring their kids with them when they are getting their haircut, because they want to be able to get their haircut properly and it requires all their attention.

Is work different?

Does she really think someone can do a job and have kids running around them spilling yoghurt everywhere (ie doing what kids do) at the same time.

Just goes to show what an entitled individual she is.

Not only is it unfair to their employer (ie that TAXPAYER!); its also unfair to the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who exactly is proposing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This feels like one of those "I heard/read something and now I create a thread based on nothing with no sources" threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

biko wrote: »
    This feels like on of those "I heard/read something and now I create a thread based on nothing with no sources" threads.

You mustn't have google or keep up with current affairs. It was all over rte radio yesterday. Here's a source for those that need to be spoonfed.

http://campus.ie/surviving-college/councillors-argue-they-should-be-able-bring-kids-meetings

Patrick Costello, Green Party councillor for Rathgar-Rathmines, has tabled a motion for tomorrow's protocol committee, which says: "Dublin City Council shall do its utmost to facilitate councillors with young children who bring their children to meetings, and shall have particular regard to facilitate councillors who are breastfeeding"

The ban on children in the chamber is a major issue for his party colleague Claire Byrne.

Ms Byrne has a six-month-old son and she says the rules preventing her from bringing him into meetings can stop her from doing her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The onus is not on me to have google whatever OP mentions, hoping to find the article or whatever she/he intended .
    The onus is on OP to provide a clear and concise post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

The private sector employers do not provide free daycare. Is this just another way the public sector employees are trying to get the taxpayer to pay for their expenses. You have a job, pay for daycare. Can't afford both? Chose one. Just like everyone who actually contributes to this economy has to.

Woman won't enter politics because they're all single moms? That's right, always the victim, never your fault.

Advertisement