Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations bonus point system in 2017

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

The Top14 version of 3 tries more than the opposition would be better for this.
    This.

The HCup system is wrong IMO since teams can "agree" to let the tries in up to 4 securing 1 pt for sure before they "decide" on the winner. That's partly why Top 14 changed it to the 3 tries margin which is a much fairer system.
    I had a look at one of Eddie's close ones back in 2007. I hope Eddie doesn't read here because it won't be good for his health :)

2007|W|D|L|Pts|New|BP|Tot
    France|4|0|1|8|16|2|18
    Ireland|4|0|1|8|16|3|19
    England|3|0|2|6|12|1|11
    Italy|2|0|3|4|8|1|9
    Wales|1|0|4|2|4|1|5
    Scotland|1|0|4|2|4|1|5
    That year you really deserved to win the Tournament. But we had game decider players back then like Vincent Clerc for example for that (in)famous game :p.

But then, everyone would have played differently with BPs implemented.
    As for bonus points ..... I wouldn't be a fan.

If we are to have them though I would something along the lines of the Top 14 .....

4 points for a win.
    2 points for a draw.
    1 "bonus" point for winning while scoring at least 3 more tries than the opponent.
    1 "bonus" point for losing by no more than a specified margin. Through the 2013–14 season, the margin was 7 points; starting in 2014–15, the margin was reduced to 5.

This system prevents a losing team from picking up two bonus points in the same match, as is possible under the normal system.

It also means that neither team earns a bonus point in a drawn match.

I like the idea that the team behind in the match can take away their opponents' TBP if they keep at it for 80 mins.
    Can you not score three tries and lose to six penalties in France and thereby get two BPs?
    I thought you had to score three more tries AND win but the above line doesn't mention winning the game?
    http://www.lnr.fr/rugby-top-14/classement-rugby-top-14#fndtn-panel-championship-rules-1
    As thomond link to lnr showed it is possible to score 2pts while losing (e.g. 24-21 8x3 vs 3 converted tries) and 3 while drawing (e.g. 21-21 7x3 vs 3 converted tries). I think it's fair to favour attacking rugby over restrictive one. Can't say it works for most Top14 games though. But there is improvement this season where we do have more exciting games than in the previous couple of seasons (mainly thanks to Clermont, UBB, La Rochelle & Pau).

This situation almost happened last GW where Montpellier lost 21-17 in SF. We were 2 tries up to their 7 penalty kicks. We were close to score a 3rd try at the end and Plisson missed at leat 1 kick so the 24-24 with 3 pts for Montpellier was not far (commentators talked about that possibility during the game).

-
    As for the BPs in general, I do think "our"s system is the fairest. Just unsure about the LBP reduced to 5 pts. Very few LBP now. Is the 5 pts margin fairer than 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

What do you define as a round robin?
    I assumed a round robin was everyone playing everyone once, or twice.
    i.e. 6N is a round robin, no?

I meant playing everyone home and away in my post. Like pro12 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

Poor Italy

Advertisement