Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Sure get your local reps to raise it in the Dail.

"Here Google lads, **** your tens of thousands of thousands of employed people and all the tax you bring into the country's coffers directly and indirectly. Steve F wants a feature on his Google Home Mini you've never committed to, so sort him out or we'll boot you out of the country!"

Ireland is a small country. Google has priorities. Ireland isn't one of them. Nothing is a simple matter of "sure they have cellular calling in the US, they can just turn it on for Ireland." That's not how it works. There's a million and one other things to consider that you just want to ignore as all you're concerned with is seeing someone else have something and wanting it.

Of course!! The whole world revolves around me dontcha know? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

I have a Google Home mini but I have an issue where it will play audio fine for a few minutes and then it keeps saying "The Microphone is turned on/ the microphone is turned off" several times before it corrects itself

Anyone else have this issue and is there some way to fix it or have i just got one with a glitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Got a Google Mini for the aunt for Christmas but it won't play music because she doesn't have a Spotify/Google play/ YouTube account. Almost sure when I got mine first it played no problem? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Got a Google Mini for the aunt for Christmas but it won't play music because she doesn't have a Spotify/Google play/ YouTube account. Almost sure when I got mine first it played no problem? Any ideas?

Have you linked the free spotify account to the google home account? Ask for a spotify playlist and it should play that. It will give a message saying playing specific songs/albums is only available to spotify premium and then it will play a playlist

Have you linked the free spotify account to the google home account? Ask for a spotify playlist and it should play that. It will give a message saying playing specific songs/albums is only available to spotify premium and then it will play a playlist

This is true.Once you link Spotify away ya go.
    You can also stream quite a few Radio stations too just by saying Hey Google stream (Radio station Name)
    I got mine Christmas Day and I reckon I have only scratched the surface of what you can do with it. Big Boys toys,Huh? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Yeah but does that not get very annoying that every time you ask for a song you get told to get spotify premium before playing?

Yeah but does that not get very annoying that every time you ask for a song you get told to get spotify premium before playing?

It's only like 3-4 seconds. Other option is to get spotify premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

It's only like 3-4 seconds. Other option is to get spotify premium.
    Can you ask for a specific song, without having premium? I just get told here's something similar.

jogdish wrote: »
    Can you ask for a specific song, without having premium? I just get told here's something similar.

I normally get told here's a similar playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It sounds like you're expecting to buy a ~60 quid device that has unrestricted access to playing any music you want whenever you want. I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. There's a reason why Play Music, Spotify etc. are paid-for services.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Spotify Premium is very much worth it. Check out the Spotify Premium thread on the Bargain Alerts forum on how to get it for a very reasonable cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

bk wrote: »
    Spotify Premium is very much worth it. Check out the Spotify Premium thread on the Bargain Alerts forum on how to get it for a very reasonable cost.

Exactly and the family deal of either Spotify or Google play music is only €14.99 a month, that's 5 added users, 6 accounts

Exactly and the family deal of either Spotify or Google play music is only €14.99 a month, that's 5 added users, 6 accounts

Quick question.Whats to stop me and my 3 other family members logging in with my details for 9:99? Genuine question,not trying to be smart

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

Steve F wrote: »
    Quick question.Whats to stop me and my 3 other family members logging in with my details for 9:99? Genuine question,not trying to be smart
    It only plays music from one device at a time

SSeanSS wrote: »
    It only plays music from one device at a time

Ah ha!! Simple when you think about it I suppose Thanks
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I have my hub linked to Youtube Music and find it good thus far, it's not plagued with as many adds as Youtube and lets you play specific songs unlike the free Spotify account which is decent to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I have Youtube Premium (family) 18 a month with the 6 users. I quite like it. Google Play Music works flawlessly with my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

My linked devices are all over the place so I tried to unlink Hue, Kasa and Nest. When I went to add them as devices I ended up getting Nest with 2 devices when I only have one, and Home tells me it cannot control 2 of the thermostats even though it seems to change the temp on the only one I have. When I then added Hue it doesn't show up after linking, but Home allows me to control it.

Synch My Devices command gets a different result on my Home and my Home Mini. Home confirms for Hue and Kasa, with Nest is says the account holder will need to synch Nest, but when I added it there was an error the first time but second time it worked fine. I tried deleting it again and re-adding it, but to no avail.

So I factory reset both the Home and the Home Mini and I uninstalled the Home app from my phone. Still all over the place, voice commands working but thinks there are 3 thermostats now. For all three of Nest, Kasa and Hue it is telling me the account owner will have to synch the three after it says it is synching hue and nest. Really hard to fathom what is going on as I am the account owner.

When I then added Hue it doesn't show up after linking, but Home allows me to control it.
    I'm having this exact same issue with Hue. I unlinked around the time there issues with hue cloud and since then they ain't showing in my home app but I can still control them via voice commands

Hope someone can help me on this.
    I set an alarm with a radio station to wake me at say 7am.
    It always sounds at 40% volume which is too loud for me.
    I have gone into settings "Alarms and Timers" and set it to 5% and whilst the Alarm rings at 5% the radio when used as the Alarm rings at 40%
    Dunno what else to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I have gone into settings "Alarms and Timers" and set it to 5% and whilst the Alarm rings at 5% the radio when used as the Alarm rings at 40%
    Dunno what else to try.

Maybe try having the radio play at 5% volume before going asleep.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Dunno what else to try.

Is this feature available in Ireland?

Dunno what else to try.

Maybe try having the radio play at 5% volume before going asleep.
    Thanks but I tried that too.Set radio at 5% Then set alarm and the flipping thing still goes off at 40%

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Dunno what else to try.

Is this feature available in Ireland?
    Well,yeah,it works but it's just that the volume is set at 40% when radio is used as alarm

Thanks but I tried that too.Set radio at 5% Then set alarm and the flipping thing still goes off at 40%

That's odd, I don't have the same problem, maybe try turning it off and on!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That's odd, I don't have the same problem, maybe try turning it off and on!
    You mean your radio comes on at a low volume when used as an alarm if you set it low?

Just turned it off and on again and the problem remains
    I had the app open with the volume set at 5% and as soon as the alarm/radio went on the volume on the app raced to 40%
    Any ideas anyone?

Just turned it off and on again and the problem remains
    I had the app open with the volume set at 5% and as soon as the alarm/radio went on the volume on the app raced to 40%
    Any ideas anyone?

Yeah it used to come on correctly but I've gone away from using the radio alarm as I was getting ads coming on instead.

Could it be that the ads are coming on at the same volume and then the radio is at the correct volume?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No.I was just testing it again and RTE Gold was playing a song when the alarm triggered and the volume on the app went from 5% to 40% in front of my eyes Weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

No.I was just testing it again and RTE Gold was playing a song when the alarm triggered and the volume on the app went from 5% to 40% in front of my eyes Weird
    In the Home app, go to the screen with the picture of all your devices, tap device, the cog wheel for settings, alarms and timers, and there is a slider to adjust volume.

Advertisement