Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Google restricting certain functionality to particular regions is extremely annoying. In some cases there may be a good reason for it, like I suspect cellular calling, but in others there's no good reason why it shouldn't be available in all areas, continued conversation being a prime example.

Gone are the days where people expect the features of the device they buy to statically remain the same as when they take it out of the box. They do so in the understanding that it will evolve to match or beat the capabilities of competing platforms (Alexa). When you know that the device is capable of a certain feature but you can't access it due to arbitrary location restrictions then of course people are justified in becoming frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Google restricting certain functionality to particular regions is extremely annoying. In some cases there may be a good reason for it, like I suspect cellular calling, but in others there's no good reason why it shouldn't be available in all areas, continued conversation being a prime example.

Gone are the days where people expect the features of the device they buy to statically remain the same as when they take it out of the box. They do so in the understanding that it will evolve to match or beat the capabilities of competing platforms (Alexa). When you know that the device is capable of a certain feature but you can't access it due to arbitrary location restrictions then of course people are justified in becoming frustrated.

Well said.Especially the bold sections
    Certain posters on here seem to think we are making a fuss for nothing

For example:-If you were in a restaurant and you saw another customer getting extras that you weren't getting and he was being charged the same price as you would you say something to the waiter?
    Some would,some wouldn't

I don't feel we should be asked to "Cop on" just because we are complaining about missing functions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

But they've always done this. Google create a buzz about their products by restricting them. I remember when Google mail was invite only, as was Inbox and lots of the other stuff they try out. It's just something they do so best get used to it

But they've always done this. Google create a buzz about their products by restricting them. I remember when Google mail was invite only, as was Inbox and lots of the other stuff they try out. It's just something they do so best get used to it

:(

Googles response:-

Currently, this hands-free calling feature is not yet in Ireland however I can send your request directly to our Product and Engineering Team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

They were free though. We've spent money on the google home, probably paid more than users in the US too.

derekbro wrote: »
    They were free though. We've spent money on the google home, probably paid more than users in the US too.

Very good points there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Steve F wrote: »
    Googles response:-

Currently, this hands-free calling feature is not yet in Ireland however I can send your request directly to our Product and Engineering Team.
    That's a Google stock response, I've gotten the same thing from them over a functionality issue for 2 years now (I use Google gsuite, which has really restricted functionality with Google home and it's impossible nealry to.migrate back to Gmail).

derekbro wrote: »

Everything Google is opt in including making the decision to buy an Android phone or a Google home to opt in to their free services. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it tbh. You be outraged and complain but they won't listen.

Everything Google is opt in including making the decision to buy an Android phone or a Google home to opt in to their free services. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it tbh. You be outraged and complain but they won't listen.

Yes,I agree there.
    I wonder if enough Irish customers complain it would make any difference?
    People power?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes,I agree there.

You may be able to get them to add a feature you were missing, but doubtful you'd get them to level their playing field. They use the US market for testing everything, they're also an ISP over there so not the same as here or even the UK.

You may be able to get them to add a feature you were missing, but doubtful you'd get them to level their playing field. They use the US market for testing everything, they're also an ISP over there so not the same as here or even the UK.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't their head office in Europe Dublin?
    :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't their head office in Europe Dublin?
    :confused:

Yes. Not sure what difference that makes to a global giant like Google it could be anywhere. There's 325 million people in the USA compared to our tiny 4.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yes,I agree there.

You really don't get it. Irish people think we're the centre of the universe. We're just a miniscule percentage of a global market. You can't have people power without people.

Yes. Not sure what difference that makes to a global giant like Google it could be anywhere. There's 325 million people in the USA compared to our tiny 4.7m

Yep....that would definitely make a difference,sadly

My point about Dublin being the European head office was the irony of it :D
    They always say Americans don't get irony,huh?

You really don't get it. Irish people think we're the centre of the universe. We're just a miniscule percentage of a global market. You can't have people power without people.

I'm not Irish :)

Yep....that would definitely make a difference,sadly

My point about Dublin being the European head office was the irony of it :D
    They always say Americans don't get irony,huh?

It's a purely financial decision. Plus we speak English and have slightly lower ping times to the USA compared to London

It's a purely financial decision. /QUOTE]

Go on...I'm all ears :D

It's a purely financial decision.

Go on...I'm all ears :D

Eh nope, we're 5 kilometers off topic as it is

Eh nope, we're 5 kilometers off topic as it is

Yes we drifted ;)

However,if I'm understanding the meaning of "financial reasons" correctly it seems OK for them to use Ireland for financial gain but when it comes to supplying their products they short change you?

• Advertisement

Yes we drifted ;)

However,if I'm understanding the meaning of "financial reasons" correctly it seems OK for them to use Ireland for financial gain but when it comes to supplying their products they short change you?

This isn't an Apple double Irish type loophole, we are benefiting from them being here, they employ thousands of people here and contribute to our economy. We just don't have enough population for them to concentrate on such a minority. It makes perfect sense to me

This isn't an Apple double Irish type loophole, we are benefiting from them being here, they employ thousands of people and contribute to our economy. We just don't have enough population for them to concentrate on such a minority. It makes perfect sense to me

And denying Irish customers the same service as UK,U.S. and Canada makes perfect sense too?
    You'd think because of the above points you've made they'd want to keep the Irish sweet not alienate them?What say you?:)

And denying Irish customers the same service as UK,U.S. and Canada makes perfect sense too?
    You'd think because of the above points you've made they'd want to keep the Irish sweet not alienate them?What say you?:)

Jebus, what is this lap two? O:-)

Jebus, what is this lap two? O:-)

Ha,I know....I'm a bit of a Bugger once I get something in my head :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This isn't an Apple double Irish type loophole, we are benefiting from them being here, they employ thousands of people here and contribute to our economy. We just don't have enough population for them to concentrate on such a minority. It makes perfect sense to me

Just to point out Apple also employs thousands of people down in Cork. Biggest employer down their and a very important one.

On the Google Home features not available here, I've heard similar complaints over the years about all sorts of Google Services, devices and features.

Gmail, Google Maps, Street View, Public Transport Directions and even Google Home features. Eventually most of those services and features do eventually make it here.

The only exception being Google Voice and Fibre, them being ISP related and thus understandable. The rest of the things people complained about in the past definitely get here eventually.

Google seems to roll things out market by market, starting with the US, then the UK, etc. It has always been this way in the past with their other services and not surprising to see the same for GH.

Overall though I'd say they are one of the better big companies for bringing new services to Ireland, just look at all the Google Services versus Bing or even Apple Maps, Google's ones are far better.

And we are lucky that we are English speaking, while slower then the US/UK, we seem to get most of their new features/services much quicker then many much larger non English speaking countries.

Thanks for taking the time to lay all that out.Very kind.
    I just found it a little disappointing when I found out Christmas Day that phone calls weren't available to Irish customers but US and UK Customers had the function.
    Does anyone know the technical reasons we don't have it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for taking the time to lay all that out.Very kind.
    I just found it a little disappointing when I found out Christmas Day that phone calls weren't available to Irish customers but US and UK Customers had the function.
    Does anyone know the technical reasons we don't have it?

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect it is because they would need to actually set up as a phone company in Ireland and put in place infrastructure to actually connect to the other phone companies here and create an interconnect agreement with them and pay for the outgoing calls.

Looking at the details of this, they say:
    Who you can call
    - US or Canada phone numbers from a US or Canada number
    - UK phone numbers from a UK number

So it sounds like they have only set up in the US, Canada and UK so far.

This doesn't sound like it is a feature that can simply be rolled out globally like other software features can, I'd highly suspect this requires actual hardware and money spent setting it up in each individual country supported.

I don't think I'd be holding my breath for this one unfortunately, it sounds like Google Voice and a small market like Ireland is likely to be low on the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

This isn't an Apple double Irish type loophole, we are benefiting from them being here, they employ thousands of people and contribute to our economy. We just don't have enough population for them to concentrate on such a minority. It makes perfect sense to me

Sure get your local reps to raise it in the Dail.

"Here Google lads, **** your tens of thousands of thousands of employed people and all the tax you bring into the country's coffers directly and indirectly. Steve F wants a feature on his Google Home Mini you've never committed to, so sort him out or we'll boot you out of the country!"

Ireland is a small country. Google has priorities. Ireland isn't one of them. Nothing is a simple matter of "sure they have cellular calling in the US, they can just turn it on for Ireland." That's not how it works. There's a million and one other things to consider that you just want to ignore as all you're concerned with is seeing someone else have something and wanting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I use IFTTT applets for call my phone functionality and it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Gotta laugh at Google Assistant's misheard commands sometimes...!
    This morning:
    Me: "Hey Google, set the living room lights to 100 percent"
    Google Home Mini: "Okay, your alarm for one pm has been set" :confused: :P :D

Advertisement