Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicola Sturgeon getting the red carpet treatment.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

prinzeugen wrote:
    She is the leader of a regional government. Bit like the governor of Texas or some other place.

Like Cork or Kerry perhaps?
    Cowboys Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

FortySeven wrote:
    She is the leader of my country. Scotland. We are a country within the United kingdom. It's complicated but I think we can say it is nothing like being a state governor in the US. She has a very good chance of getting independence should brexit carry on the way it is going.

It's not that complicated, Mel Gibson got drunk & hairy, painted his face blue & white that got chopped off then everyone said a hail Mary, woke up the next morning and realised oh your man in the tights is in charge now.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You'd probably pull the pelvis out of yourself if they'd created a mural of Mrs Windsor's face. :)

Another 3k posts, inevitable name change, and off you'll go all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I think she comes across really well and I hope she does what's right for Scotland. Maybe we're buttering her up with all the pomp as it might encourage her to push independence even more for Scotland and perhaps throw a spanner in the works of Brexit? Funny, I saw 2 motorcades for her in the last 2 days, and then I saw another one for some dude in what looked like Arab dress earlier at St Stephen's Green.

3 Ambassador's were presenting credentials so get the full army treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The ambassador's for Morocco, Turkey and Peru were getting the Presidential treatment this week too.
    AGC wrote: »
    3 Ambassador's were presenting credentials so get the full army treatment.

Do people really think that ambassadors (without apostrophe ;)) should not be treated correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

Yeah fair play, I like Nicola and all but I think some people are getting a bit too carried away. You'd swear no Scots voted for Brexit the way she's carrying on and polls are consistent in people there not wanting another indy referendum and indeed "Yes" still being beaten by Unionists. It really depends of what form Brexit takes but I don't see an Independent Scotland happening anytime soon. People there seem to like devo-max.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

She's nae oil painting.

relevance?

She's a very clever lady

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

She strikes me as a fairly smart and shrewd politician.

But where would the Royals go shooting Scottish deer if Scotland became independent? What would happen to the Crown's 37,000 acres, fishing rights and other hard won assets?

The queen is head of 16 countries ( or thereabouts)
    She would still be queen of Scotland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Rawr

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do people really think that ambassadors (without apostrophe ;)) should not be treated correctly?

Only if they remember to bring the Ferrero Rocher. Otherwise, how are supposed to know when we are being truly spoiled?

No chocolates, no army, thems the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

But where would the Royals go shooting Scottish deer if Scotland became independent? What would happen to the Crown's 37,000 acres, fishing rights and other hard won assets?

They'd just carry on I'd imagine. They keep the property and continue to holiday there as they currently do.

You need to mind that the crowns were unified in 1603, long before the Act of Union in 1707.

You are probably looking at it from the Irish perspective and assume that Scotland will become a republic if independent i.e. after 1922 there was no longer a king of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

murpho999 wrote: »

I wasn't complaining. I was just saying that they met the President in a formal manner. It's on the Presidents twitter feed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I think it probably has a lot to do with the proposed SSE investment in windfarms in Cork and Galway. For a couple of 100 million investment, she can address whoever she likes. Its not like the Senate were going to be doing anything important anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I think she comes across really well and I hope she does what's right for Scotland. Maybe we're buttering her up with all the pomp as it might encourage her to push independence even more for Scotland and perhaps throw a spanner in the works of Brexit? Funny, I saw 2 motorcades for her in the last 2 days, and then I saw another one for some dude in what looked like Arab dress earlier at St Stephen's Green.
    She can't do anything about Brexit. Brext is happening and the UK will most likely leave the single market. A PA give it away a couple of days ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

And why not? Sturgeon is one of the most articulate, intelligent and consummate politicians in the UK at present. She has pushed her agenda of what is best for Scotland without being uppity and self-serving. I have to say that I admire her.

I do see her on a collision course with Theresa May over the question of another independence referendum for Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

JupiterKid wrote: »
    And why not? Sturgeon is one of the most articulate, intelligent and consummate politicians in the UK at present. She has pushed her agenda of what is best for Scotland without being uppity and self-serving. I have to say that I admire her.

I do see her on a collision course with Theresa May over the question of another independence referendum for Scotland.

Had one two years ago and rejected it. The issue has been put to bed for another generation or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Queen Elizabeth 1st of Scotland would probably go to her Scottish estates I guess :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Had one two years ago and rejected it. The issue has been put to bed for another generation or two.

The issue was put to bed last time because of scaremongering about pensions and jobs disappearing.

Since then there has been a rather large decision taken that changed everything.

Another independence vote is expected. Almost guaranteed if brexit takes place. Depending what England can offer against what the eu can offer will decide it. Sturgeon is canvassing support right now. Ireland will support independence I'd say and will help push Scotland's case in the eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

FortySeven wrote: »
    The issue was put to bed last time because of scaremongering about pensions and jobs disappearing.

Since then there has been a rather large decision taken that changed everything.

Another independence vote is expected. Almost guaranteed if brexit takes place. Depending what England can offer against what the eu can offer will decide it. Sturgeon is canvassing support right now. Ireland will support independence I'd say and will help push Scotland's case in the eu.

Ireland is a minor member, we've no influence.

It's the likes of France and Spain who you'll have to convince. (both currently don't like the idea)

Tbh if the EU experiment disintegrates in the next decade or so I would fully support a Union of Scotland, Wales, Ireland, NI and England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Scotland getting into the EU will be a non runner I'd say.

Not only is Spain hell bent on vetoing it so Basque and Catalan don't get ideas but Belgium is now getting annoyed by the likes of Flanders talking of independence so don't want Scotland in in case it bolsters their cases.

Think France are also murmering against it too?

Not to mention won't Scotland need a certain balancing of the books to get membership which would lead to massive cuts to services especially since the oil value which the last independence movement was banking on, has dropped massively?

The EU cut funding to the poorest nations of the EU to help with the "refugee crisis" aka the scammer influx so would Scotland get much of the funding they need?

I think if they do get in the EU will have disintegrated by the time they will be in the way it's going anyway IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

They need Westminster to approve it which they won't. Not a chance. Nicola is just being cruel to yes voters by giving them hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Have great admiration for her. She's miles ahead of most politicians in the UK currently. A very smart woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Good to see the Scottish First Minister in Ireland and their are plenty of countries in the world that are not Nations but want to be like Catalan, Flanders, Kurd region & Palestine. We should foster relations with these countries. We have a lot in common with them despite them not being in the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Left wing limousine liberal douchebags.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It wasn't even that. The scots were promised greater powers but then told after the referendum that they'd have powers removed from their MP's at Westminster. When they were told they'd get greater powers that's when the polls showed Leave losing popularity.

To be fair the situation has changed a lot in Scotland. Scotland voted against brexit. They simply didn't want it. Also the unique thing about brexit is that it removes a lot of rights from people. The right to travel and work in Europe is a huge deal. That's been removed from them. It's different to an election in that the scots have actually seen their rights eroded slightly and didn't vote for it.

AboveBored wrote: »
    Thought the Krankies were doing a show here.

You went and regged just for that comment?

They need Westminster to approve it which they won't. Not a chance. Nicola is just being cruel to yes voters by giving them hope.

At the moment there are more Panda's than Labour MP's in Scotland. The same goes for conservatives. SNP MP's may be crucial in forming a coalition government at the next election. If that's the case then another referendum will be on the cards.

AboveBored wrote: »
    Thought the Krankies were doing a show here.

Hmmm

You're not also known as

Adam Battersby
    Vowel Movement

by any chance are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ireland is a minor member, we've no influence.

It's the likes of France and Spain who you'll have to convince. (both currently don't like the idea)

Tbh if the EU experiment disintegrates in the next decade or so I would fully support a Union of Scotland, Wales, Ireland, NI and England.

There is far more chance of Scotland becoming independent than the Republic of Ireland joining the UK. Might be a trade agreement alright.

Advertisement