Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicola Sturgeon getting the red carpet treatment.

Options
  • 29-11-2016 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

First leader of a nation to get to speak to the Senate. Whisked around Dublin in a motorcade Obama would be proud of. Lots of talk of independence and the similarities of the Scots and Irish with a nudge and a wink. (Ah, sure, don't we all hate the English?)

Seems a bit odd, they even rolled out old mikey d.

A Celtic pact against the brexit breakaways of England and Wales?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The confederation of Ireland & Scotland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

FortySeven wrote: »
    First leader of a nation to get to speak to the Senate. Whisked around Dublin in a motorcade Obama would be proud of. Lots of talk of independence and the similarities of the Scots and Irish with a nudge and a wink. (Ah, sure, don't we all hate the English?)

Seems a bit odd, they even rolled out old mikey d.

A Celtic pact against the brexit breakaways of England and Wales?

Clever politics, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

FortySeven wrote: »
    First leader of a nation to get to speak to the Senate.

Leader of a nation?

She is the leader of a regional government. Bit like the governor of Texas or some other place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

She wants what we want, so we'll treat her real nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I dunno, there's definitely something fishy about her...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

She's nae oil painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Can't believe nobody has made the joke about her getting the red carpet treatment to match the drapes.

This is AH dammit, not the Politics Café!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I think she comes across really well and I hope she does what's right for Scotland. Maybe we're buttering her up with all the pomp as it might encourage her to push independence even more for Scotland and perhaps throw a spanner in the works of Brexit? Funny, I saw 2 motorcades for her in the last 2 days, and then I saw another one for some dude in what looked like Arab dress earlier at St Stephen's Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,272 ✭✭✭✭ted1

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Leader of a nation?

She is the leader of a regional government. Bit like the governor of Texas or some other place.

Are Texas a member country of FIFA?

Are Wales in the 6 NATIONS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The "border" moving to the England/Scotland border? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

ted1 wrote: »
    Are Texas a member country of FIFA?

Are Wales in the 6 NATIONS?

Is Scotland a member of the UN? Is Scotland a member of the EU. Is Scotland recognized by any country as being a independent sovereign state..

Nope..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Is Scotland a member of the UN? Is Scotland a member of the EU. Is Scotland recognized by any country as being a independent sovereign state..

Nope..

She is the leader of my country. Scotland. We are a country within the United kingdom. It's complicated but I think we can say it is nothing like being a state governor in the US. She has a very good chance of getting independence should brexit carry on the way it is going.

The first national leader to speak at the Senate was actually how it was reported by BBC Scotland. Take what you will from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Hopefully she'll be back someday as Prime Minister,
    or "Taoiseach na h-Alba", perhaps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Nope..

nation

noun
    a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular state or territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I suppose she had the caviar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I suppose she had the caviar.

I got the joke:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

She's nae oil painting.

That comment is acceptable only when you post a pic of yourself for comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

They should have created a giant mosaic mural of her face on Stephen's Green.

The collage of Sturgeons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

But where would the Royals go shooting Scottish deer if Scotland became independent? What would happen to the Crown's 37,000 acres, fishing rights and other hard won assets?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Yamanoto wrote: »
    They should have created a giant mosaic mural of her face on Stephen's Green..

You'd probably pull the pelvis out of yourself if they'd created a mural of Mrs Windsor's face. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

There are numerous tenant Farmer's being kicked off their farms by landlords over in Scotland at the moment. It really is a pity land rights haven't been sorted out now they have their own nationalist controlled government.

Nope..

I think you'll find it is!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJPOVGlEPs

Leader of a nation?

That's like saying the leader of the Kurds is not the leader of a nation simply because the Kurds have not got their own state yet. Parnell was acknowledged leader of the Irish nation long before we overthrew the colonial state in most of the country and established an Irish state. And so it is with Scotland... if they have the courage this time. A nation of bottlers so far, alas. Will the ancient nation rise from centuries of bondage and build its own independent state?

But where would the Royals go shooting Scottish deer if Scotland became independent? What would happen to the Crown's 37,000 acres, fishing rights and other hard won assets?

Not forgetting that Scottish island where the English government tested those glorious chemical weapons to wipe out the German civilian population... but whisht.

To be serious for a sec...you're right.

Thatcher's close associate, the nonce Peter Morrison, was from the family that own the Isle of Islay.

His sister is a 'lady-in-waiting' for Elizardbreath.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Morrison

Not forgetting that Scottish island where the English government tested those glorious chemical weapons to wipe out the German civilian population... but whisht.

Must admit, that's a new one on me. It just shows you, the victors control the narrative (and that's in no way advocacy for the Nazis).

There are numerous tenant Farmer's being kicked off their farms by landlords over in Scotland at the moment. It really is a pity land rights haven't been sorted out now they have their own nationalist controlled government.

This. 100%. Scotland needs its own Land League to finally sort that longstanding problem out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think she comes across really well and I hope she does what's right for Scotland. Maybe we're buttering her up with all the pomp as it might encourage her to push independence even more for Scotland and perhaps throw a spanner in the works of Brexit? Funny, I saw 2 motorcades for her in the last 2 days, and then I saw another one for some dude in what looked like Arab dress earlier at St Stephen's Green.

The ambassador's for Morocco, Turkey and Peru were getting the Presidential treatment this week too.

Advertisement