Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appointment to State Board - Females only need apply

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It is a stupid piece of legislation. And no matter how it's dressed up, it's flat out discrimination based on what's hanging or not hanging between people's legs.

Ah well for years many a male was promoted and not for what was sitting between his ears........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Female whats

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

screamer wrote: »
    Ah well for years many a male was promoted and not for what was sitting between his ears........

I know. It's hardly like loads of women got top jobs in the past under pure meritocracy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

screamer wrote: »

Agreed........... but as the old saying goes "two wrongs don't make a right".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Any selection process involves discrimination.

The reason they don't, in this instance, "pick people on merit" is because the aim of the process isn't to identify the best individual; it's to produce the best board. You're not filling an isolated, autonomous position here; a board acts as a collective body, and one of the reasons we have a collective board to run a public agency rather than an individual commissioner, say, is precisely because a board can be more diverse than any individual can.

When you're picking, say, a soccer team you don't just pick the eleven best soccer players. You're picking a team, and therefore you need goalkeepers, defenders, etc. Similarly when you're making appointments to a board, you don't ignore the fact that the whole reason that you have a board is that you want a diversity of members.

Numerous studies have shown that people work better when they have a diversity of backgrounds, genders and experience.

The legislation is in place to help this happen for this board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What's wrong with people getting jobs based on their ability not which genitals they have.
    As long as people have preconceived notions of genders in jobs this practice will have to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I think all this "pick on merit" stuff for state boards and which candidate political parties run is really laughable.

For those kind of "jobs" there's probably multiple candidates who can all do the job perfectly fine. The best woman will probably be incredibly similar to the best man.

We're not going to lose some incredibly talented man, and get some incredibly inept woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's weird that before quotas, we only ever picked men. I assume men are just better on merit, right? That must be it.

Advertisement