Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appointment to State Board - Females only need apply

Options
  • 29-11-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The broadcasting authority of Ireland is looking for a non executive member on their Board, however in line with legislation the member must be a female.

Is this not feminism gone too far?

While I understand the idea that non-executive directors should be diverse and from a variety of different backgrounds, I believe the best person should get the job. (When I say diverse, I mean from a variety of different professional experience).

http://stateboards.ie/stateboards/campaignAdvert/44935.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

FrStone wrote: »
    The broadcasting authority of Ireland is looking for a non executive member on their Board, however in line with legislation the member must be a female.

While I understand the idea that non-executive directors should be diverse and from a variety of different backgrounds, I believe the best person should get the job. (When I say diverse, I mean from a variety of different professional experience).

http://stateboards.ie/stateboards/campaignAdvert/44935.htm

It may be legislation but to borrow a phrase, the legislation is an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Dymo

It's really just a state of things to come, we will probably go down the affirmative action route that the US has and put jobs forward where jobs favoring those who tend to suffer from discrimination; positive discrimination will have to be put to the first of the queue for positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Did you check the section of the act that applies?
    (3) Not less than 4 of the members of the Authority shall be men and not less than 4 of them shall be women.

So it's not biased towards women. It just happens to be the case this time that there are only three women on the board.

If the reverse was true then they would specify that only men are eligible to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Dymo wrote: »
    It's really just a state of things to come, we will probably go down the affirmative action route that the US has and put jobs forward where jobs favoring those who tend to suffer from discrimination; positive discrimination will have to be put to the first of the queue for positions.

There's no such thing a positive discrimination. Just positive spin on discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

maudgonner wrote: »

So it's not biased towards women. It just happens to be the case this time that there are only three women on the board.

If the reverse was true then they would specify that only men are eligible to be considered.

Why can't they just pick people on merit? It's discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It's grand once there's a quota for tall people, short people, people over fifty, people under fifty, yadda yadda yadda.

In a word: ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The successful candidate must be female
    Sure, it's only sexist if we say "males only"... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Mary Mitchell O'Connor.

That is all you need to know about sex quota's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Mary Mitchell O'Connor.

I've heard that rumour too. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Mary Mitchell O'Connor.

I think that moron being made a minister had more to do with her loyalty to Enda Kenny than her gender, same goes for Heather Humphries. There are far more capable lady blueshirts than those two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If it benefits women: it's equality.
    If it benefits men: it's sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think that moron being made a minister had more to do with her loyalty to Enda Kenny than her gender, same goes for Heather Humphries. There are far more capable lady blueshirts than those two.

That's the thing. If an idiot woman gets a job it's feminism. If an idiot man gets the job it's just cronyism.
    Cronyism is an equal opportunity employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ermagerd the femis are coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

They took our jobs....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Did you check the section of the act

You do have a point, I'm curious though in practice would they really discriminate against suitably qualified women, in order to give a man the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

What's wrong with people getting jobs based on their ability not which genitals they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You do have a point, I'm curious though in practice would they really discriminate against suitably qualified women, in order to give a man the job

If the rule is 4 men + 4 women and a man left a post then yes, it would have to be filled by another man.

Not that that sort of simple logic should stop all the Feminazi bashing, men under attack!!..etc.

Yes, they wouldn't have a choice unless the legislation was changed. It's part of the Broadcasting Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If the rule is 4 men + 4 women and a man left a post then yes, it would have to be filled by another man.

Not that that sort of simple logic should stop all the Feminazi bashing, men under attack!!..etc.

All well and good until the first time a male only position is advertised and then the sihte will really hit the fan!

Venom wrote: »
    All well and good until the first time a male only position is advertised and then the sihte will really hit the fan!

I doubt that highly, since the only way that would happen is if there was a majority of women on the board. I think any objections would be quickly, and rightly, rubbished given the way the legislation is written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I doubt that highly, since the only way that would happen is if there was a majority of women on the board. I think any objections would be quickly, and rightly, rubbished given the way the legislation is written.

I can easily see legal challenges and a media blitz in such a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Much ignoring of this I see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The intention of such a mandatory male/female ratio may be fair, but I just think it is going too far. All the positions should be filled based on merit and suitability, be it 100% female, 100% male, or some split in between.

It doesn't make any sense for a person of one gender to be awarded a position when there could be a more qualified and suitable person of the other gender who would have applied had the gender criteria not existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Now there's a thread title for SJW warrior-seeking missiles to furiously tug at themselves over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Flimpson wrote: »

Not ignoring, calling out its stupidity. As was said already, it should be based on merit not gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    ... it should be based on merit not gender.
    I look back with fondness on the days before feminism and its bastard child gender quotas came on the scene, and the only criterion for advancement was merit.

In those days, we saw what women were worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Flimpson wrote: »

I don't know. The fact that there's a quota in the first place is the problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Vic_08 wrote: »

It is a stupid piece of legislation. And no matter how it's dressed up, it's flat out discrimination based on what's hanging or not hanging between people's legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

I look back with fondness on the days before feminism and its bastard child gender quotas came on the scene, and the only criterion for advancement was merit.

In those days, we saw what women were worth.

Yeh you just keep telling yourself that......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,060 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Why can't they just pick people on merit? It's discrimination.
    Any selection process involves discrimination.

The reason they don't, in this instance, "pick people on merit" is because the aim of the process isn't to identify the best individual; it's to produce the best board. You're not filling an isolated, autonomous position here; a board acts as a collective body, and one of the reasons we have a collective board to run a public agency rather than an individual commissioner, say, is precisely because a board can be more diverse than any individual can.

When you're picking, say, a soccer team you don't just pick the eleven best soccer players. You're picking a team, and therefore you need goalkeepers, defenders, etc. Similarly when you're making appointments to a board, you don't ignore the fact that the whole reason that you have a board is that you want a diversity of members.

Advertisement