Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jealous dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    There's ample scientific evidence that dogs are pack animals. I could write pages upon pages about these comparisons.

Dogs are social animals and have high ritualized displays of dominance and submission that are used to prevent conflict, it is primarily rituals of submission that keep peace and not always displays of dominance.

Any given dog may be dominant or submissive at any given time depending upon the situation. A problem I am seeing with some posters here is that the term dominance conveys some sort of sadist evilish that should never be mentioned.

What does dominance truly mean though? What does leadership truly mean then?

It means establishing yourself as someone your dog willingly defers to, looks for guidance, trusts and follows. The "Pack Leader" asserts leadership/dominance however this does not have to be forceful, violent or aggressive.

If you could put some links up to that scientific evidence, it would be good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

muddypaws wrote: »
    If you could put some links up to that scientific evidence, it would be good.

Yes, I'll second that request. Whenever suits is fine.

Dogs are social animals and have high ritualized displays of dominance and submission that are used to prevent conflict, it is primarily rituals of submission that keep peace and not always displays of dominance.

Any given dog may be dominant or submissive at any given time depending upon the situation. A problem I am seeing with some posters here is that the term dominance conveys some sort of sadist evilish that should never be mentioned.

Yep, all social animals use displays of body language to communicate with others of their species, dogs are no exception. Some displays are threatening, some are backing down, depending on the scenario, the individual dogs etc.
    But to suggest that dogs use these threats and appeasement behaviours in order to climb a ladder of social hierarchy is where it all falls down for the "pack leader" argument. This is what's been disproven, that becoming pack leader, or climbing to any higher social standing, is categorically not what motivates or causes these behaviours in dogs. Being a social animal does not in any way mean that such an animal must live within a dominance hierarchy by the way. A dominance hierarchy is one way of maintaining order, it's just not one that's used by wolves or dogs.
    People who rely on anecdote and supposition have long been misinterpreting these behaviours... They say that threatening/agonistic behaviours are displays of dominance to assist the dog in climbing the social ladder. They say that appeasement behaviours are a submissive dog abjectly accepting his lowly place in a pack. They continue to believe this despite the fact that the guy who initially proposed the idea that dogs live within a dominance hierarchy (David Mech... Look him up :)) has long, long since retracted his theories. This is why the word "dominant" has become quite the hot potato, because it has been hijacked and misrepresented as a biological concept by pack theorists.

In fact, and I say "in fact" because this has been shown again and again in objective, unbiased, empirical scientific research, these threatening and appeasement behaviours are used in order to secure prized resources for each dog as an individual. For an individual dog, having a greater drive to protect a squeaky ball/food/sleeping spot/self/owner attention etc is certainly not the same thing as trying to ascend a social hierarchy. It's just not that complicated.
    Similarly, behavioural scientists have tested dogs to measure whether supporting them in these perceived apparent dominance hierarchies bears any relation to the exhibiting of threatening ("dominant") or appeasing ("submissive") behaviours. It might come as no surprise that the answer to this was a resounding "no".
    As for dogs being pack animals, I think I've waxed lyrical enough about that and how the concept is completely rejected by scientific analyses... So... If a dog is not a pack animal... Why would he have any concept of a "pack leader"? I've said it many times... How anyone seriously believes that we could live in any sort of harmony with an animal that has aspirations to dominate us socially is beyond me. It would be a nightmare across the board. You certainly wouldn't fondly refer to the animal as a "pet"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Thanks for those. Though the second link pretty much says what I said in my last post, as it's not really supporting the concept of dogs being motivated to become "pack leader", rather that it's a one-to-one relationship between individuals.
    And in the first paper from Vienna, they are also describing linear one-to-one relationships, which as some of the links I posted yesterday say, a "dominant/submissive relationship" between two individual dogs (or dog to human) is absolutely normal... "dominance" is more accurately a descriptor of a two-way relationship, not a frame of mind. See my post above for why "dominance" is a misrepresented concept and as a result, a bit of a hot potato as a word!). But even in what you've linked, it does not denote a desire in dogs to ascend a social hierarchy... Which seems to me to be where the pack-theorists' confusion lies.

For the record, and bear with me here, I did a bit of research and study with those researchers in Vienna and other labs they're associated with. We tested amongst other things, the dog opening the plastic box test in which Monique Udell (the American researcher quoted in the first article) said in her tests, dogs couldn't do without instruction.
    In contrast, we found that this very much relied on the individual dog, and that the "independent" breeds such as terriers, huskies, hounds etc were quite adept at opening the boxes with speed and without any human interference. Indeed, even with co-operative breeds such as herders and gundogs, they were also good at opening the boxes without direction... The ones that wouldn't open the boxes without direction were the trained dogs that had learned to seek the go-ahead from their owners!
    So... That's the thing about research, replicate the experiment and if you get a match, you're heading down the path of proof. But there have been countless, countless times when the researchers in Vienna have come up with X result in an experiment, only for it not to be replicated by Udell in America, and other researchers worldwide. And vice versa. The ongoing tete-a-tete between these labs is a source of bemusement amongst other researchers, but it goes to show that for research to be accepted, it's gotta be reliably replicate-able. Both "sides" who you quote there are often criticised for their tendency to go for shock headlines, again to the bemusement of other researchers. So there... A bit of "inside track" info for ya ;)
    So whilst I think your first link is certainly interesting, at the moment it's a bit of an outlier until it is replicated again in another lab... And it certainly flies in the face of the oodles of established research I linked to yesterday... For now at least :o

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Thanks for those. Though the second link pretty much says what I said in my last post, as it's not really supporting the concept of dogs being motivated to become "pack leader", rather that it's a one-to-one relationship between individuals.
    And in the first paper from Vienna, they are also describing linear one-to-one relationships, which as some of the links I posted yesterday say, a "dominant/submissive relationship" between two individual dogs (or dog to human) is absolutely normal... "dominance" is more accurately a descriptor of a two-way relationship, not a frame of mind. See my post above for why "dominance" is a misrepresented concept and as a result, a bit of a hot potato as a word!). But even in what you've linked, it does not denote a desire in dogs to ascend a social hierarchy... Which seems to me to be where the pack-theorists' confusion lies.

For the record, and bear with me here, I did a bit of research and study with those researchers in Vienna and other labs they're associated with. We tested amongst other things, the dog opening the plastic box test in which Monique Udell (the American researcher quoted in the first article) said in her tests, dogs couldn't do without instruction.
    In contrast, we found that this very much relied on the individual dog, and that the "independent" breeds such as terriers, huskies, hounds etc were quite adept at opening the boxes with speed and without any human interference. Indeed, even with co-operative breeds such as herders and gundogs, they were also good at opening the boxes without direction... The ones that wouldn't open the boxes without direction were the trained dogs that had learned to seek the go-ahead from their owners!
    So... That's the thing about research, replicate the experiment and if you get a match, you're heading down the path of proof. But there have been countless, countless times when the researchers in Vienna have come up with X result in an experiment, only for it not to be replicated by Udell in America, and other researchers worldwide. And vice versa. The ongoing tete-a-tete between these labs is a source of bemusement amongst other researchers, but it goes to show that for research to be accepted, it's gotta be reliably replicate-able. Both "sides" who you quote there are often criticised for their tendency to go for shock headlines, again to the bemusement of other researchers. So there... A bit of "inside track" info for ya ;)
    So whilst I think your first link is certainly interesting, at the moment it's a bit of an outlier until it is replicated again in another lab... And it certainly flies in the face of the oodles of established research I linked to yesterday... For now at least :o

Theres plenty more studies of which you can try discredit all you want

http://dogspies.com/Dog_Spies/Science!_files/CSF%202012%20Abstracts.pdf

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/84470/rkt_1.pdf?sequence=1

While I agree Dog behavior is a very complex subject the issue of Hierarchical dominance in dogs is a fact and anybody with a pack of dogs would be well witnessed in that.

You seem to think nobody can call their dog a "pet" if he/she see's me as this dominant powerful human being some sort of emotional tyranny to his life.

When we think of dominance-based relationship, we tend to think of high-ranking animals routinely showing their power and strength to the lower ranking animals to reinforce their status. In reality, dominant relationships are primarily established by low ranking individuals showing formal submissive signals to high-ranking animals, in recognition of their supremacy. Ears behind the head, lay down exposing the belly, excessive licking all submissive behaviors.

Theres plenty more studies of which you can try discredit all you want

With all due respect, I'm not trying to discredit, merely being objective and putting it to you that (a) the research is actually saying what you think it's saying, and (b) it's important that the research has itself been consolidated, which isn't yet the case with what you've posted, but is the case with what I've posted.
    While I agree Dog behavior is a very complex subject the issue of Hierarchical dominance in dogs is a fact and anybody with a pack of dogs would be well witnessed in that.

But it's not. You have misunderstood what the research says, even the research you posted earlier, and you've misunderstood what I've said. Your own observations have been with a strong bias towards what you believe, but would be pulled apart if you spent time with a behavioural scientists who is looking at interactions with a research-led eye.
    You seem to think nobody can call their dog a "pet" if he/she see's me as this dominant powerful human being some sort of emotional tyranny to his life.

With respect, nowhere have I said anything of the sort and again you have utterly twisted what has actually been said. Please don't put words in my mouth :)

DBB wrote: »
    How anyone seriously believes that we could live in any sort of harmony with an animal that has aspirations to dominate us socially is beyond me. It would be a nightmare across the board. You certainly wouldn't fondly refer to the animal as a "pet"!

Your words not mine.

Your words not mine.

You are twisting my words or deliberately misunderstanding me, I can't figure out which.
    You believe that dogs aspire to be pack leaders.
    I have refuted this with lots of research.. As have you but I don't think you realise it.
    You posted research that pretty much backs up what I've already said, before you posted links, about linear relationships of "dominance" and "submission" between individual dogs. You don't seem to understand that this is not the same thing as a dog aspiring to be a pack leader. None of the research posted by you or I suggests (that I can see... That's a lot of abstracts to wade through above before I found what I assume you wanted me to see) that dogs try to become pack leader.

With that in mind, what I said above is that if dogs truly were motivated to be pack leaders, we could not live with them as pet dogs. They would be a nightmare.
    But, as I've said above, the reality is that they're not motivated by such aspirations, and that is what makes them such suitable pets and working companions.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Wow....I guess debate is healthy.

Overreacted DBB sorry!

Update is dog trainer is coming to my house tomorrow to observe and advise, he's fully up to date with latest methods,training and theories.

I let you know how we get on.

• Advertisement

When we think of dominance-based relationship, we tend to think of high-ranking animals routinely showing their power and strength to the lower ranking animals to reinforce their status. In reality, dominant relationships are primarily established by low ranking individuals showing formal submissive signals to high-ranking animals, in recognition of their supremacy. Ears behind the head, lay down exposing the belly, excessive licking all submissive behaviors.

I have a 'pack' and disagree.

I have a 'pack' and disagree.

And then you are sadly misinformed.

And then you are sadly misinformed.

What? That doesn't make sense, misinformed, who by?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

What? That doesn't make sense, misinformed, who by?

I think, that MayoSalmon thinks, that we're all wrong and he's the only one that's right.

It doesn't matter that we work with dogs all day every day, or study dog behaviour, or go to seminars, or even be the most educated person in Ireland on the topic;). We're ALL wrong in his opinion:D

On a side note, I really dislike ready American articles and publications. It's no wonder that the terms dominance/alpha/pack leader are misinterpreted they way American people bandy them about. It's the same on any of the facebook pages I'm on when members ask for advice on behaviour problems. The American members simply say that it's "dominance" or the dog wants to be the "Alpha" and give out that the other person isn't being the "pack leader" without ever getting to the proper cause of the problem. National Geographic has a lot to answer for!

I think, that MayoSalmon thinks, that we're all wrong and he's the only one that's right.

It doesn't matter that we work with dogs all day every day, or study dog behaviour, or go to seminars, or even be the most educated person in Ireland on the topic;). We're ALL wrong in his opinion:D

On a side note, I really dislike ready American articles and publications. It's no wonder that the terms dominance/alpha/pack leader are misinterpreted they way American people bandy them about. It's the same on any of the facebook pages I'm on when members ask for advice on behaviour problems. The American members simply say that it's "dominance" or the dog wants to be the "Alpha" and give out that the other person isn't being the "pack leader" without ever getting to the proper cause of the problem. National Geographic has a lot to answer for!

Give me a break would ya! You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

I have presented studies supporting my theory as have other posters supporting theres!

Most dogs "Don't" want to Alpha just like most people in life probably don't want to be CEO's or TD's with all the stress and responsibilities that come with these.

I have presented studies supporting my theory as have other posters supporting theres!

Most dogs "Don't" want to Alpha just like most people in life probably don't want to be CEO's or TD's with all the stress and responsibilities that come with these.

But the scientist that came up with the term 'alpha' has retracted it and said it is wrong, it was built on a false premise.

Just to get back on topic for a moment, on behalf of the op, this is the lady in question... Milly! Cute, huh?

2djwea8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

MayoSalmon wrote:

These are opinions that are backed by in depth studies, from a variety of people and not on one person's belief.
    Op I hope your trainer will be able to help you and as I'm sure you probably know already it may take time and patience but I'm sure the issue will be resolved. Please keep us updated on your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It is my opinion that the theory that the world is flat is true. I am entitled to this opinion as is anyone else.

However this doesn't take from the fact that the world is in fact round.

People are of course allowed to have opinions on whatever they like, but it doesn't mean that opinion coincides with fact.

Dominance theory was taken as fact when it first came out, as was the world being flat.
    But time has expanded on that to more modern research.
    While many many many many people may not be aware of the shift in research, largely due to the old thinking still being spouted on a lot of modern dog behaviour related tv programmes etc, (which is no ones fault!), those people who study dogs both academically and through working with them in every day life, have gone out and done the research themselves that leads to the more up to date studies on the hierarchy of dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

now online wrote: »
    Wow....I guess debate is healthy.

Overreacted DBB sorry!

Update is dog trainer is coming to my house tomorrow to observe and advise, he's fully up to date with latest methods,training and theories.

I let you know how we get on.

Oh that's excellent news. I do hope you get sorted. Please let us know how you all get on.

• Advertisement

Sorry for delay in updating, busy few days

Anyway a very brief update.He witnessed some of her behavior and advised me ignore bad behavior i.e when she's barking mad when she sees the leads sit down and give her no attention, when she stops put the lead on. Don't leave their food out all the time (done for the yorkie he's a nibbler) food goes down they eat if they don't take it up and put it down a half an hour later.

All attention is attention so if I'm giving out to her its still giving her attention. Dogs can't understand English .

If they want to come up on the couch it's by invitation, same rules for both.

Praise good behavior, they have to earn treats. All common sense, I think he's training me actually! She has to learn her place. Rubbing the yorkie when he shakes with nerves if she growls is not the right thing to do, it's like rewarding him for being nervous.

Be consistent,there's no point in putting these pointers into practice if I don't do it all the time.

He was here for nearly 2 hours and for the most part Milly was on her best behavior! He checked in with me Friday morning to see how we got on going out for a walk, it was delayed putting his advice into practice but dammit it worked.

My yorkie is such an easy dog and just slotted in to our lives so easily, Milly as much as I love her changed everything!

The dog trainer is keeping in touch and we'll do as many sessions as needed but at least now we're on the right track.

Thanks to everyone for all your words of wisdom and for the interesting debates!

( So much for a brief update! )

now online wrote: »
    Sorry for delay in updating, busy few days

Anyway a very brief update.He witnessed some of her behavior and advised me ignore bad behavior i.e when she's barking mad when she sees the leads sit down and give her no attention, when she stops put the lead on. Don't leave their food out all the time (done for the yorkie he's a nibbler) food goes down they eat if they don't take it up and put it down a half an hour later.

All attention is attention so if I'm giving out to her its still giving her attention. Dogs can't understand English .

If they want to come up on the couch it's by invitation, same rules for both.

Praise good behavior, they have to earn treats. All common sense, I think he's training me actually! She has to learn her place. Rubbing the yorkie when he shakes with nerves if she growls is not the right thing to do, it's like rewarding him for being nervous.

Be consistent,there's no point in putting these pointers into practice if I don't do it all the time.

He was here for nearly 2 hours and for the most part Milly was on her best behavior! He checked in with me Friday morning to see how we got on going out for a walk, it was delayed putting his advice into practice but dammit it worked.

My yorkie is such an easy dog and just slotted in to our lives so easily, Milly as much as I love her changed everything!

The dog trainer is keeping in touch and we'll do as many sessions as needed but at least now we're on the right track.

Thanks to everyone for all your words of wisdom and for the interesting debates!

( So much for a brief update! )

That all sounds great, but I would probably disagree with the yorkie. You can't reinforce fear, so you aren't praising him for being worried you are comforting him, which he probably appreciates. http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/you-cant-reinforce-fear-dogs-and-thunderstorms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The old adage of "a tired dog is a happy dog" comes to mind. Are you sure she's getting enough exercise and brain-games? Her needs in that area will be much higher than those of a senior Yorkie. Even daycare a couple of days a week or agility might be options to give them some space for each other.

I'd be loath to stop reassuring your old man. If he's scared, he needs some tlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was going to comment on reassuring the dog too. Lucy isn't phased by much but telling Bailey he's ok when he gets a fright is often all he needs for him to shake it off and forget it rather than dwell on it and get himself into a state. It's certainly not reinforcing him and encouraging him to be afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'm gonna 4th the three posters above regarding the "reassuring a scared dog" bit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with reassuring a dog who's afraid. I doubly think it's important to acknowledge what a dog is afraid of in the first place and try to ease the situation.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I agree with you all about comfortin my old man, I honestly don't think I'll change that. He's a dog that needs cuddles and reassureance.

Milly couldn't care less if she was walked or not but she still is. She has no interest in toys except to bring them out to the garden and let them there!

The trainer said I might need to walk them separately for a while and I'm thinking I might take milly a bit further into the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

My spaniel shows signs of these behaviours too, but as said above it is just resource guarding. If he looks at any of her puzzles or treats she will snarl like she is possessed and he cowers away even though he is twice her size, but when he flips out at other dogs she runs for the hills. She was so bad that he will not eat from her puzzles even though he is the most food driven dog I know. I spent 15 mins coaxing him to eat from it one time in another room but just as he started to do it, he heard her nails clicking on the floor in the room next door and stopped. She was 100 times worse before we got him. They drink from the same portable bowl at the same time and generally allow other dogs to come near me now. We still live in hope that one day they will curl up together.

now online wrote:
    I agree with you all about comfortin my old man, I honestly don't think I'll change that. He's a dog that needs cuddles and reassureance.

Are we talking about a child or a dog here?! Do you think the mother(bitch) would give him cuddles?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Are we talking about a child or a dog here?! Do you think the mother(bitch) would give him cuddles?

A cuddle gives physical comfort and of course dogs give that to each other.

• Advertisement

I'm going to close this thread for now, op if you want to update it at some stage, drop me or one of the other mods a line :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement