Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Priests flogging merchandise? What next?

Save your Wildean wit for the creative writing forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Save your Wildean wit for the creative writing forum

On the basis of your first post, what measures are you NOW taking in your own life, apart from posting here?

Have you discarded any "useless" stuff in your home and are you selling any of your items with the intent of helping the less fortunate?

Do you intend to forego consumerism this Christmas in favour of helping out the needy?

On the basis of your first post, what measures are you NOW taking in your own life, apart from posting here?

Have you discarded any "useless" stuff in your home and are you selling any of your items with the intent of helping the less fortunate?

Do you intend to forego consumerism this Christmas in favour of helping out the needy?

Well I would consider myself a minimalist when it comes to possessions. I try and buy as little stuff as possible and I pretty much eat the same veg and meat all week. When I moved into my place all my furniture except beds were given to me by friends and family. I know recycling is kind of pointless but I do it anyway with any rubbish I have.
    I wont be partaking in Xmas really as I live alone and my family aren't into it, although I do enjoy the work dos etc.
    And forget about helping the needy, we would all be helping ourselves stay on this planet a little longer if we just stopped wasting so much stuff all year round.

As a side, why did you use the thread to try and pick at me instead of maybe discussing the issue I raised?

Well I would consider myself a minimalist when it comes to possessions. I try and buy as little stuff as possible and I pretty much eat the same veg and meat all week. When I moved into my place all my furniture except beds were given to me by friends and family. I know recycling is kind of pointless but I do it anyway with any rubbish I have.
    I wont be partaking in Xmas really as I live alone and my family aren't into it, although I do enjoy the work dos etc.
    And forget about helping the needy, we would all be helping ourselves stay on this planet a little longer if we just stopped wasting so much stuff all year round.

As a side, why did you use the thread to try and pick at me instead of maybe discussing the issue I raised?

I'm not "picking", I'm discussing. Don't be getting defensive. If you are going to start a thread, you should expect questions. You invited this conversation, not me.

It's quite normal for a person to ask what you are currently doing to mitigate the issues you have raised.

Now, you mentioned people in need in your OP so thats why I asked what you will be doing for them. By your latest response, it seems nothing.

Your above post suggests that your first post is garnered from current situational experience rather than deep rooted beliefs.

Because you live alone, have no pallet variety, furnished your home at the will of others and have little or no desire / facility to celebrate Christmas and its assosciated excesses.....you want all of us to look at ourselves and amend our social lifestyle to that as minimalist as yours.

You fell into your situation moreso than designed it by morals.

We should follow your lead? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The amount of waste is just magnified at Christmas but as has been said already, it's a year-round problem.

And while some are better than others at keeping their wastage down, very few of us really actually tackle the wastage to any meaningful degree and it's mostly just if it's convenient or not inconvenient.

• Advertisement

Because you live alone, have no pallet variety, furnished your home at the will of others and have little or no desire / facility to celebrate Christmas and its assosciated excesses.....you want all of us to look at ourselves and amend our social lifestyle to that as minimalist as yours.

You fell into your situation moreso than designed it by morals.

We should follow your lead? No.

The will of others? I went begging yes :rolleyes:. Luckily friends and family were keen to offer (or get rid!) of tonnes of stuff as soon as I secured buying a house. I guarantee you you or anyone else could have decent furniture in their house in no time if you made a few calls or looked at a few websites.
    I didn't fall into my situation, it's exactly where I want to be!
    Do you think it's sustainable to consume as we do nowadays? For me, Xmas shows up our over consumption at it's worst. I find it very worrying as this planet is finite.

The will of others? I went begging yes :rolleyes:. Luckily friends and family were keen to offer (or get rid!) of tonnes of stuff as soon as I secured buying a house. I guarantee you you or anyone else could have decent furniture in their house in no time if you made a few calls or looked at a few websites.
    I didn't fall into my situation, it's exactly where I want to be!
    Do you think it's sustainable to consume as we do nowadays? For me, Xmas shows up our over consumption at it's worst. I find it very worrying as this planet is finite.

I didnt suggest you were "begging". Being gifted furniture is still at the will of others. I was the same myself. Adverts is a great site for pre loved items. So shove your rolleyes.

You did fall into your current situation. Did you plan to be offered furniture from friends and family? No.

Food wise, you may be happy to eat the same stuff all the time and create minimal waste. Thats fine. Others are different.

Christmas wise, your family arent into it, that counts as "falling into it" as you didnt plan or design that. If your family were "into it", your viewpoint may well be different.

What is your current knowledge of waste recycling on a localised, industrisl and Global scale?

Before you decide we cant take anymore, discover the mechanisms currently in place and accurately assess it.

Then come back and try and start a revolution.

To be fair, we're all guilty here. Not just the people who buy tat at Christmas.

Do we put on a jumper instead of turn on the heating?

How much do we actually reuse?

How much effort do we really put into sustainable transport and using bikes /feet/public transport even when it's not hugely convenient?

Sure, some of us do our bit but can we really say all our decisions put the planet first or is it all a bit a la carte?

And should we have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Millions of delicious turkeys and pigs will be slaughtered

Don't forget heaps of brussel sprouts with a dodd of butter on top. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Sure, some of us do our bit but can we really say all our decisions put the planet first or is it all a bit a la carte?

And should we have to?

We may not have to now but it's looking like we'll have to do something sooner or later.
    I find it fascinating that people wont even talk about less consumption, politicians solely focus on growth and consuming more which is completely unsustainable. I also find if you ever bring it up on boards you get attacked by posters.

• Advertisement

We may not have to now but it's looking like we'll have to do something sooner or later.
    I find it fascinating that people wont even talk about less consumption, politicians solely focus on growth and consuming more which is completely unsustainable. I also find if you ever bring it up on boards you get attacked by posters.

The truth is everyone should be living in a way that you, I and everyone else don't want to because it's not comfortable.

The truth is everyone should be living in a way that you, I and everyone else don't want to because it's not comfortable.

I don't think it would have to be that uncomfortable but a lot of things would have to change, yeah.

I don't think it would have to be that uncomfortable but a lot of things would have to change, yeah.

It's possible you're not thinking about how much your actions would have to change. I'm not having a go at you but it goes way beyond reusing furniture as commendable as that is.

How renewable are the sources of energy you use? How much do you really minimise water consumption?

I mean the abstract 'you', ftr.

It's possible you're not thinking about how much your actions would have to change. I'm not having a go at you but it goes way beyond reusing furniture as commendable as that is.

How renewable are the sources of energy you use? How much do you really minimise water consumption?

I mean the abstract 'you', ftr.

Oh I'm totally aware of that, in order to actually slow things down and undo some of the damage we've done would require massive changes. But if you take the 70s or so, when people were relatively comfortable and happy in the West anyway, consumption levels and energy used has increased dramatically since then. Going back to a level like that with better technology mightn't be so bad.
    Ridiculous to even contemplate that really because it will never happen, crash and burn is all I can see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Happy Christmas to you to Dr.

It's not Christmas it's bloody November

Oh I'm totally aware of that, in order to actually slow things down and undo some of the damage we've done would require massive changes. But if you take the 70s or so, when people were relatively comfortable and happy in the West anyway, consumption levels and energy used has increased dramatically since then. Going back to a level like that with better technology mightn't be so bad.
    Ridiculous to even contemplate that really because it will never happen, crash and burn is all I can see!

The 70s weren't really better though. Less recycling, more landfilling, more emissions, less renewables etc etc.

The 70s weren't really better though. Less recycling, more landfilling, more emissions, less renewables etc etc.

I still think we were buying and using a lot less stuff. Also I think we still have the worst recycling rates in Europe!

I also find if you ever bring it up on boards you get attacked by posters.

Who attacked you?

I still think we were buying and using a lot less stuff. Also I think we still have the worst recycling rates in Europe!

We have far from the worst recycling rates in Europe. We're better than the EU average.

But the state of the planet is down to more than buying sh*t at Christmas. It's down to stuff we'reall guilty of

• Advertisement

Who attacked you?

Any time people bring up issues to do with wildlife or global warming etc people just don't want to know and often attack the people advocating change or trying to discuss alternatives. Trumpesque!

We have far from the worst recycling rates in Europe. We're better than the EU average.

But the state of the planet is down to more than buying sh*t at Christmas. It's down to stuff we'reall guilty of

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that we were one of the worst, although now I'm finding conflicting reports on the internet

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ireland-one-of-eu-worst-for-waste-management-203362.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

We need Jesus back alright.

If only he could leather the ever-loving shyte out of those wasteful consumers and tat traders in 2016 Ireland the way he chastised those lads in the temple. Pure smackdown.

That is my favourite bible story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Have you a tangible and workable solution OP or is this just a bitchfest?

I do: Buy less stuff. It's workable because it's all unnecessary stuff.

Buy well-made, long-lasting products, when you really have to buy stuff.

The likes of Tiger and the £ shops make me gag from the stench of plastic. Thinking about the manufacturing process and the tiny lifespan and inevitable dumping of said plastic tat makes me gag again.

It's really easy. Just ask yourself ''Do I need this?''

I do: Buy less stuff. It's workable because it's all unnecessary stuff.

Buy well-made, long-lasting products, when you really have to buy stuff.

The likes of Tiger and the £ shops make me gag from the stench of plastic. Thinking about the manufacturing process and the tiny lifespan and inevitable dumping of said plastic tat makes me gag again.

It's really easy. Just ask yourself ''Do I need this?''

Not good enough. You need to abandon all possessions and live in the wild to make a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

It's not junk.
    Everything can be recycled and used in your settlements to make water pumps or defensive systems to kill raiders and supermutants.

I think I'm playing too much Fallout 4.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

cml387 wrote: »
    It's not junk.
    Everything can be recycled and used in your settlements to make water pumps or defensive systems to kill raiders and supermutants.

I think I'm playing too much Fallout 4.

Or not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Not good enough. You need to abandon all possessions and live in the wild to make a difference!

:D Well..the possessions are already manufactured and the house built now, and both should last a good long while, so I might as well make use of 'em. I suppose I could go off-grid alright!

Advertisement