Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientists Say We Have Souls

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    My favourite part of the article:

During one near-death experience, he claimed he was blocked from entering heaven by a group of laughing angels who smelled of aftershave.

:P

They probably had this on

: Devil's Cut. Item# DevilsCutAftershaveSpalsh. $15.99 ...

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-140657164764325_2448_14801714

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Does all this link into what Elon Musk believes - we are living in the matrix which he wants to take the human race out of.

For all we know we could be living in Westworld...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's a pity the Sun is the source cause the scientist quoted, Penrose is a very intelligent and well known mathematician (Wolf Prize, Dirac Medal, author of some very good physics books)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

He's a respected scientist. His theory revolves around his belief that the nature of consciousness suggests a quantum process. His ideas about the human thought process may presently be a minority view in scientific circles, but that does not make him wrong. It's an interesting idea and should not be dismissed just because it's mentioned in an article in an online rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

ScumLord wrote: »
    The scientist seems to be distinguished enough (I had to google him), but that quick google also has other scientists saying his making up his own criteria and then saying his theory fits.

The article says "scientists" as if it's a widely held believe but there's only really two scientists mentioned in the article. There's no follow up on how the researchers proved any of this to be true.

You're a brave person to delve into the Sun for..."scientific reporting".

Ignoring that a religious point is not something for scientific investigation, because the two areas are utterly separate, one being science and one being philosophy... Even full-arsed newspapers get the wrong ends of the stick when it comes to reporting on scientific matters (pretty consistently). A half-arsed piece of dross like the Sun..comes out with stuff about souls being scientifically proven. >.>

Reading up on it in places that aren't the fecking Sun, it's an interesting idea and I'm not going to pretend to understand half of it, even with a science background, because quantum physics ain't my thing. It's got a lot of criticism and making the jump to a religious connection like a soul is absolutely typical Sun garbage. Like science isn't interesting enough without tabloid copywriters ****ing all over it for headlines!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The article can be found in the Express too, and for you nerds it's here too
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

biko wrote: »
    The article can be found in the Express too, and for you nerds it's here too
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm

The Express and The Sun aside, the abstract simply states that their theory "accomodates" the possibility of the preexistence of consciousness. This is light years away from proving that human beings have souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They can often seem cold, clinical and pretty much zero craic, but I'm sure they do have plenty of soul, just like the rest of us....

Anyway,I clicked on the link; I didn't want to just dismiss it as a load of bollocks, just because it is published in The Sun, a display of a close minded attitude.

Well, after having read the article, I can confirm: it is indeed a load of bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Arghus wrote: »
    They can often seem cold, clinical and pretty much zero craic, but I'm sure they do have plenty of soul, just like the rest of us....

Anyway,I clicked on the link; I didn't want to just dismiss it as a load of bollocks, just because it is published in The Sun, a display of a close minded attitude.

Well, after having read the article, I can confirm: it is indeed a load of bollocks.

It was. Although I did note that the scientist himself referred to souls, in a small bit of vindication from the Sun. BUT...that's a bit like a scientist saying "well, this new study shows X does various things that might be applicable to testing it as a potential inhibitor of uncontrolled cell multiplication.."

Sun headline: SCIENTISTS CURE CANCER.

Advertisement