Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Chicken

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Effects wrote: »
    I doubt it's guilt free. Just another label to stick on something to pretend it's guilt free but probably not that much better than battery farmed chicken.

Free range is a legally defined by the EU:
    hens have continuous daytime access to open-air runs, except in the case of temporary restrictions imposed by veterinary authorities,
    the open-air runs to which hens have access is mainly covered with vegetation and not used for other purposes except for orchards, woodland and livestock grazing if the latter is authorised by the competent authorities,
    the open-air runs must at least satisfy the conditions specified in Article 4(1)(3)(b)(ii) of Directive 1999/74/EC whereby the maximum stocking density is not greater than 2500 hens per hectare of ground available to the hens or one hen per 4m2 at all times and the runs are not extending beyond a radius of 150 m from the nearest pophole of the building; an extension of up to 350 m from the nearest pophole of the building is permissible provided that a sufficient number of shelters and drinking troughs within the meaning of that provision are evenly distributed throughout the whole open-air run with at least four shelters per hectare.

Try one and then tell me it's the same as a €2.99 chicken. There is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

There's a free range chicken place around here, somewhere. I've been past it in a motor a couple of times.

It's f**king mental! There's this f**k off big barn, in the middle of a big area of open ground. But, this barn is all open, around the bottom sides.

And, in there, huddled together in the dark, are the chickens! :eek: They're head wrecks! Nice, sunny day. All that open space to walk about on. But, no. They deliberately choose to cram themselves into the shadows, like a bunch of miserable sardines.

I don't know why they do it. Maybe they're ex battery birds and can't hack the concept of light and liberty? Strange.

I still buy free range eggs though. Like to think I'm giving them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

stimpson wrote: »

Try one and then tell me it's the same as a €2.99 chicken. There is no comparison.

Free range hens "have access"

If that access is the size of a doggy door and hens dont use it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Stigura wrote: »
    I don't know why they do it. Maybe they're ex battery birds and can't hack the concept of light and liberty? Strange.

It could be the habitat isn't good enough. I would guess that chickens wouldn't like big open areas as it would make them feel unsafe. They'd need places to hide. I think they'd hang around light forest under normal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There's a free range chicken place around here, somewhere. I've been past it in a motor a couple of times.

It's f**king mental! There's this f**k off big barn, in the middle of a big area of open ground. But, this barn is all open, around the bottom sides.

And, in there, huddled together in the dark, are the chickens! :eek: They're head wrecks! Nice, sunny day. All that open space to walk about on. But, no. They deliberately choose to cram themselves into the shadows, like a bunch of miserable sardines.

They might be laying or sitting on eggs. My chickens do like running around. I think they like the bushes and scraggy bits of grass but they don't seem to mind wide open areas either. All the same, they spend some days indoors of their own volition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

ScumLord wrote: »
    It could be the habitat isn't good enough.

On reflection? I reckon ye've nailed it, there.

It's probably been years since I passed that way. But, I do seem to recall the outside was something of a dust bowl. (So much for EU regulations then :rolleyes:But, yeah, they'd likely feel exposed to predators, and really all for nothing.

Nothing for them to do, out there. Certainly a far cry from images of contented hens, scratching about on lush pastures, with reassuring patches of friendly cover.

Still, saying that? It must be better than sitting in a dustbin, sh!tting out eggs till ye die of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Still, saying that? It must be better than sitting in a dustbin, sh!tting out eggs till ye die of it.
    Definitely. It could also have been the case that the chickens didn't want to go outside that day for whatever reason. Maybe they had a recent predator attack. Maybe they were being feed/checked by vet.. Maybe that was the day they all went to McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

"The Butcher Shop"

Now its chicken from Brazil, clearly intended to con the less informed that they are buying an Irish product with the "Packed in Ireland" statement on the front. Older people especially would be fooled by this, maybe people who cannot see too well are not able to read the very small print on the back that says product of Brazil.

Is it possible to even buy Irish Chicken products in the supermarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

stimpson wrote: »

I don't eat either type. My comment wasn't about how it tastes. More like the similarity in conditions and treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

It could just be me but I'll ask anyway, does anyone have an issue eating chicken from China? I have to admit I have bought many things from China (mostly sh*tey electronics and gadgets) But I would be awful weary of the controls in place for producing chicken products.
    Dunne's and Tesco's sell several chicken products that are produced in China. I think they are called Diggers in Tesco, cannot remember the Dunne's name. I wonder how many people bought these products and are unaware of their origin, I mean most people probably don't read the info on the back of food packages, they probably just see the price and go with it.
    I, like many,have eaten beef curries out of Chinese take away's here (though not for a few years) and I have never actually had beef (if that is what it is) that tastes similar anywhere else, ever.
    So needless to say I wont be eating chicken that has been processed in china and shipped here.

Chinese chicken is rubbery!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unpossible wrote: »
    afaik any food sold into the EU has to comply with EU standards. They mentioned this in the book "fastfood nation", aparently the beef sold to the EU is better quality than that sold within the USA.
    Trump is going to kill TTIP \o/

Otherwise the US "food" companies could sue EU for potential loss of earnings caused by changes in the law. Like McDonalds is suing Florence for €18 million because they aren't allowed to setup shop in the historic Piazza del Duomo.

Imagine Paddy Power suing over not being allowed setup a shop on Mount Rushmore. Or Kinder (turnover €9.5Bn) suing over not being allowed to sell kinder Surprise US.

Lots of things classed as fit for human consumption in the US are banned here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

"The Butcher Shop"

Now its chicken from Brazil, clearly intended to con the less informed that they are buying an Irish product with the "Packed in Ireland" statement on the front. Older people especially would be fooled by this, maybe people who cannot see too well are not able to read the very small print on the back that says product of Brazil.

Is it possible to even buy Irish Chicken products in the supermarkets?
    For me that "Packed in Ireland" would indicate that it is definitely NOT Irish otherwise they would be shouting it from the roof of Tesco's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

foggy_lad wrote: »
    For me that "Packed in Ireland" would indicate that it is definitely NOT Irish otherwise they would be shouting it from the roof of Tesco's.

I agree, but maybe like myself, you are not old, wrinkly and less observant.

Advertisement