Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting to TTC

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It is really recommended to take folic acid from a few months before trying so get on that immediately. Pregnacare has folic acid and lots of other vitamins so I prefer that but I keep folic acid in the press for when I run out of Pregnacare. Folic acid is cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I used to take folic regularly but for some reason I stopped in Feb! So must start again tomorrow as I still have a new bottle in the press! So cheers for mentioning the press reminded me!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hi wondering if any ladies who previously have said they were also waiting to TTC have started? We had a big chat few weeks ago and we basically decided that we will start next month but that's if I get weight down a bit more so that I'm in 'healthy range' even though I lost two stones since January. So I have started looking in reflexology and kinelogosly in prep. I know folic was mentioned but is there anything else you would recommend? Pregcare?
    I also got ovulation test strips to check this month just because I saw them in dealz only €1.50!!lol started testing since start of this week because according to the app my ovulation day is on Friday so it is just all about learning better about my mid cycle for me at moment.
    So yeah I guess I'm moving from waiting to TTC towards TTC and to be honest it is quite scary!! Especially when we didn't have my dream honeymoon of Orlando yet and girls asked me about going to Thailand with them next year!

Well done on the weight loss. If you're still a bit over you need to be taking 5mg daily and ideally start it 3 months pre conception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

I also got ovulation test strips to check this month just because I saw them in dealz only €1.50!!lol started testing since start of this week because according to the app my ovulation day is on Friday so it is just all about learning better about my mid cycle for me at moment.

Do those at least twice a day, because it's very easy to miss a positive. They worked fine for me (I used them coming up to wedding to avoid getting pregnant and thereafter to GET pregnant but I didn't get a positive until I used them twice a day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Supposed to be starting trying in 3 weeks and like 3 days..... It's way too close for comfort.....

• Advertisement

It is definitely a weird experience moving from trying desperately not to get pregnant to then actively trying!

It is definitely a weird experience moving from trying desperately not to get pregnant to then actively trying!

Yeah all the voices in my head are shouting "what the hell are you doing"

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    Do those at least twice a day, because it's very easy to miss a positive. They worked fine for me (I used them coming up to wedding to avoid getting pregnant and thereafter to GET pregnant but I didn't get a positive until I used them twice a day)

How far between two times you tested a day?

Good to know that it ain't only me who feels like that phi3 & loveapril!! :P Even though we chatted about it on a deep extent few times it is still scary!!

Good to know that it ain't only me who feels like that phi3 & loveapril!! :P Even though we chatted about it on a deep extent few times it is still scary!!

Sure I am 9 weeks pregnant and still feel like that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

phi3 wrote: »
    Yeah all the voices in my head are shouting "what the hell are you doing"

I can't tell if you're being serious or being tongue-in-cheek about it... but if you genuinely do feel that it's not the right time for you and you're not ready... you really should consider giving it another few months. Pregnancy can be very rough (I had a hard time and even though we have planned it and I was so excited to get pregnant, I ended up with antenatal depression), and motherhood is even harder! Of course it is so completely wonderful that the hardships are worth it, but even still... if a voice in your head is telling you not to do it right now, then you should really listen to it.

I can't tell if you're being serious or being tongue-in-cheek about it... but if you genuinely do feel that it's not the right time for you and you're not ready... you really should consider giving it another few months. Pregnancy can be very rough (I had a hard time and even though we have planned it and I was so excited to get pregnant, I ended up with antenatal depression), and motherhood is even harder! Of course it is so completely wonderful that the hardships are worth it, but even still... if a voice in your head is telling you not to do it right now, then you should really listen to it.

Well I won't be any more ready in a few months than I am now so it won't really help to put it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

How far between two times you tested a day?

Morning and evening, roughly 12 hours would be the most 'scientific' way I guess.

phi3 wrote: »
    Well I won't be any more ready in a few months than I am now so it won't really help to put it off.

Does your partner know you're feeling this way? I assume you're kinda doing this for him?

Does your partner know you're feeling this way? I assume you're kinda doing this for him?

Yeah he knows. He wants me to be ready and ok with it but I never will be. But that's fairly usual for me anyway.

Sure I am 9 weeks pregnant and still feel like that!!!

Haha he said that at least w will have 9 months to get used to the idea once it do happen! I don't think we will ever feel 100% ready until it happens and we are OK with that! :)

I started using OPK's twice a day yesterday as advised and tested this morning. For the first time all week I saw a very faint 2nd line, does this mean it is ovulation day?

You will almost always have a faint line due to HCG in your system. You have an LH surge before you ovulate. The line will go super dark, sometimes even darker than the control line. That's your surge. You are thought to ovulate after that, I think it is between 12-24 hours. If you take another test after the surge it will go back to faint or non existent because your surge is over. Google ovulation tests images and you will see the difference in the shades. How far into your cycle are you?

You will almost always have a faint line due to HCG in your system. You have an LH surge before you ovulate. The line will go super dark, sometimes even darker than the control line. That's your surge. You are thought to ovulate after that, I think it is between 12-24 hours. If you take another test after the surge it will go back to faint or non existent because your surge is over. Google ovulation tests images and you will see the difference in the shades. How far into your cycle are you?

If I'm right it would be 16th day of my cycle today. Phone played up yesterday so the app lost data about last cycle. Awh that makes sense- good to know! :) Just thought it may mean O day because I have been testing all week and it was the first time I got a faint line this morning.

I think I'm starting to calm down about the ever nearing conception possibility. It may be the calm before the storm. I'm still not totally ok with it but I don't feel like I'm near panic attack numerous times a day. Maybe my brain is starting to get used to the idea.... maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Straten

Hi all, happy to find this thread! So we've decided to ttc once I get the mirena coil out. Feeling a little nervous but more excited :)

• Advertisement

Straten wrote: »
    Hi all, happy to find this thread! So we've decided to ttc once I get the mirena coil out. Feeling a little nervous but more excited :)

Welcome Straten! :) Exciting times ahead! So you can start TTC straight away after you get the coil out? I'm just curious cuz I only used pills in past.

I'm 3 days late which is very unusual for me because my cycles are very regular but I have some brown(stingy) discharge only when I wipe, I would usually have this 1 day before my period though but not for 3 days or instead of period so not sure what is going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Straten

Welcome Straten! :) Exciting times ahead! So you can start TTC straight away after you get the coil out? I'm just curious cuz I only used pills in past.

I'm 3 days late which is very unusual for me because my cycles are very regular but I have some brown(stingy) discharge only when I wipe, I would usually have this 1 day before my period though but not for 3 days or instead of period so not sure what is going on!
    Thank you! :) yep, we can start TTC soon as it is out. My doctor told me there's a chance of an egg being released straight away so she needed to ask if that was our plan or would we need alternative contraception.

I haven't had period in so long which had been nice so here's hoping I don't get too many of them now! :)

Thank you! :) yep, we can start TTC soon as it is out. My doctor told me there's a chance of an egg being released straight away so she needed to ask if that was our plan or would we need alternative contraception.

I haven't had period in so long which had been nice so here's hoping I don't get too many of them now! :)

That is brilliant!! :)

I have started going for reflexology and acupuncture in prep but....
    We always said we would buy a house first ages ago but that way of thinking changed with the way things are until recently I was told that having dependents can impact on how much mortgage you can get..... how true is this??:confused:

That is brilliant!! :)

I have started going for reflexology and acupuncture in prep but....
    We always said we would buy a house first ages ago but that way of thinking changed with the way things are until recently I was told that having dependents can impact on how much mortgage you can get..... how true is this??:confused:
    Banks generally consider having children as a limit to how much repayment capacity you will have. Which makes sense, because children cost money! They'll generally assume that each child will cost €250 per month, and will add that to your monthly expenses when they're determining how much of a monthly mortgage repayment you could afford to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The last month or so I am suddenly very broody! It kind of snuck up on me, I wasn't expecting it at all. Still at a very manageable level thankfully as I only started a new job a few weeks ago

The last month or so I am suddenly very broody! It kind of snuck up on me, I wasn't expecting it at all. Still at a very manageable level thankfully as I only started a new job a few weeks ago

Funny how that can just happen! I'm in the same boat as I just got a job offer so we will probably have to wait few months after I start so that I can get company's full maternity leave.

I have an appointment for follicle stimulating hormone test today as advised so I'm wondering if there is anything else I should ask him to test for? I had full tests done last year- should I ask for this again?

Is there a thread for TTC? Can't seem to find it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Is there a thread for TTC? Can't seem to find it now?

It's a sticky at the top of the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Married four weeks today and we can't wait to have babies. Started taking Pregnacare yesterday to prepare. I'm 29 and have PCOS - have been on the pill for the most part of ten years.
    Plan is to take this months pill and then come off the pill and see what happens. I had an AMH test a couple of years ago in SIMS and my result was 77 when for my age it should be 30. This means I'm not ovulating properly - I was told I will more than likely need assistance conceiving and to give it 6 months and then my GP will then refer me.
    I have been prescribed metformin already.
    We are not telling anyone as we don't want the questions when it could be a very long journey ahead. Needed to get it out haha!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I found Metformin worked really well for me so fingers crossed you'll get good results too. My GP also told me to cut out sugar as much as possible and increase my protein intake and cut back carbs a bit. That in combination with the metformin was very good at reducing my cycle length - went from 1 or 2 periods a year to about a 40 day cycle.

Advertisement