Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26/11/2016 Autumn Internationals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Who was the ref for the 2nd SA test? Young Aus ref. He was excellent.

Edit: Angus Gardner. Need more from him and other good refs and less of this dross.

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

Who was the ref for the 2nd SA test? Young Aus ref. He was excellent.

Angus Gardner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Lake1989 wrote: »
    they've had some awful referring decisions go their way. When the game was in the balance Peyper has just ignored a blatant forward pass and there was also the try in the first half when Mako impeded Phipps.

You don't go a calendar year unbeaten by ref decisions.

Top 3:
    1. Eng
    2. NZ
    3. IRE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Rightwing wrote: »
    I rate Eng the best team in the world after this one.

What a turnaround, well done E Jones. Our match with them will be one not to miss.

I think they've been very fortunate in this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Hard to listen to Sky. There is nothing major to fear from this England team. They scored 3 fortunate tries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Fortunate not to play New Zealand too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shame NZ didn't play them this year. Aus and SA historically poor at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

kilns wrote: »
    Hard to listen to Sky. There is nothing major to fear from this England team. They scored 3 fortunate tries

Oh well, may as well not watch the 6N then. No contest with mighty Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Jaco Peyper mirroring the state South Africa's team is in with the quality of their referees

Shame NZ didn't play them this year. Aus and SA historically poor at the moment.

This inflates NZ. Remember, we had put them under pressure in 1 match, and destroyed them in another. I see no reason as to why Eng wouldn't beat them by even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Expect Cheika to whinge about the ref as usual he is world class at that. He will have a slight point but there was also some incredibly dumb rugby by Australia.

Barring one of the lesser 6N sides defeating England it looks like Ireland will have full Kiwi support for the Dublin encounter. I'd think Ireland should be warm favourites for that game.

Undefeated season for the Poms, some turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If Ireland can keep their penalty count as low as they did in the previous 4 games, then I can't see us losing to England.

To be fair it is a very good English side.

They are similar to us...exceptional pack and a strong 9-10-12-13 axis with a solid back three.

Home advantage will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mcc1

Not bad considering they where missing the likes of I[font=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]toje and Anthony Watson all Autumn.   They'll win the Grand Slam next year again, so much strength in depth.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

kilns wrote: »

Oh well, may as well not watch the 6N then. No contest with mighty Ireland.

Of course there will be a contest but they are not at a super high level like the All Blacks despite what Sky will tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Based on how Ireland play the game with high balls to the wings we can only pray that Marland Yarde keeps his place. Jonny May too. There are far better wings in England at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

England probably still the better side, but I don't fear them coming here and smashing us. If they play Yarde, there's a weakness to attack out wide. I also think a midfield of Farrell and Ford can be attacked with some pretty direct Gatlandian tactics. And their set piece doesn't look imperious by any stretch.

Rightwing wrote: »
    This inflates NZ. Remember, we had put them under pressure in 1 match, and destroyed them in another. I see no reason as to why Eng wouldn't beat them by even more.

Who got destroyed, and when? Missed it.

Do we know the fixtures for the 2017 Autumn Internationals yet?

Will England play NZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mcc1

Neil3030 wrote: »
    England probably still the better side, but I don't fear them coming here and smashing us.  If they play Yarde, there's a weakness to attack out wide.  I also think a midfield of Farrell and Ford can be attacked with some pretty direct Gatlandian tactics.  And their set piece doesn't look imperious by any stretch.
    Both Anthony Watson and Jack Nowell have been missing all autumn for them on the wings, both will be back for the 6 nations.  They are a far stronger team than Ireland.  You only scraped by the Aussies last week, England destroyed them with a half strength team.  You seem to be basing everything on the NZ win which although a very good result was more down to New Zealand being poor than Ireland being great.  Even then you made hard work of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

mcc1 wrote: »
    Both Anthony Watson and Jack Nowell have been missing all autumn for them on the wings, both will be back for the 6 nations.  They are a far stronger team than Ireland.  You only scraped by the Aussies last week, England destroyed them with a half strength team.  You seem to be basing everything on the NZ win which although a very good result was more down to New Zealand being poor than Ireland being great.  Even then you made hard work of it.

Tbf, Ireland's back line wasn't even half strength after 25 minutes of that game. England are definitely a good side, but NZ are still out on their own.

• Advertisement

mcc1 wrote: »
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    England probably still the better side, but I don't fear them coming here and smashing us.  If they play Yarde, there's a weakness to attack out wide.  I also think a midfield of Farrell and Ford can be attacked with some pretty direct Gatlandian tactics.  And their set piece doesn't look imperious by any stretch.

Ireland didn't scrape past Australia, we actually won it comfortably in the end. We spent the last 5 mins in their half. Not to mention the state of our barely functional backline at the end.

England pulled clear of a knackered Australia side in the second half today. Australia could have been out of sight at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

bilston wrote: »
    Ireland didn't scrape past Australia, we actually won it comfortably in the end. We spent the last 5 mins in their half. Not to mention the state of our barely functional backline at the end.

England pulled clear of a knackered Australia side in the second half today. Australia could have been out of sight at half time.

We were fortunate to survive

mansize wrote: »

We were fortunate to survive

Of course we were, but in last few mins we were actually pretty comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Our contest with England is so far away not much point in talking about it. England are very strong but you must have a set piece to beat them which Australia don't have. Given Australia lost by more than 15 we should be pretty close to number 3 at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

The last time England played Ireland for a GS decider in Dublin was 2003... that ended England winning 42-6 ;)

I could not see Ireland losing that bad again but just looking through England's record during their golden years in 2003, makes you think how class they are capable of being with the amount of money, resources and talented players they have at their disposal. They just need the right coach. I fear this England side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I fear this England side.

Fear is too strong a word. They're a good side alright, especially with Itoje and Vunipola (Vunipola out for 6N though). We'll show them the respect they deserve. They'll do similar. Should be a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Synode wrote: »
    Fear is too strong a word. They're a good side alright, especially with Itoje and Vunipola (Vunipola out for 6N though). We'll show them the respect they deserve. They'll do similar. Should be a great game

Yup. They won't be coming to the Aviva with any asumptions that they're the better team. It'll be an epic encounter.
    Schmidt v Jones.

(Schmidt every time)

kuang1 wrote: »
    Yup. They won't be coming to the Aviva with any asumptions that they're the better team. It'll be an epic encounter.
    Schmidt v Jones.

(Schmidt every time)

Jones has a GS in the bag already, on a 14 match winning streak.

Too early to bill that final match as a GS decider, but if it is, I wouldn't be backing against Jones. He knows how to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Do we know the fixtures for the 2017 Autumn Internationals yet?

Will England play NZ?

Hello bilston,

Yes we do for NZ: Wales, Scotland, France and a mystery 4th team (but not England).

Which means NZ won't play England.

Sincerely,
    swiwi

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Schmidt v Jones.

(Schmidt every time)

Actually they will. It's one of the few things that has separated Ireland and England up until recently. We still don't have that kind of confidence but we're rapidly getting there.

We would have 3 - 0 South Africa if we had gone down their firmly believing we would, we gave them far too much respect.

Advertisement