Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passengers *spoilers from post 58*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yes, but he's fifteen years younger than Firth so it pales in comparison to Firth and Stone in magic in the moonlight.

That's right, I forgot it was Emma Stone in that one too. She's not 19 though, as the previous poster suggested :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

That's right, I forgot it was Emma Stone in that one too. She's not 19 though, as the previous poster suggested :eek:

:D I thought it was Antonia Clarke !! hehe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There might be 11 years between them, but Pratt and Lawrence seem like a good match in terms of maturity. I mean, Lawrence has played older than herself so many times now that I'm not sure she can convincingly play her own age anymore. And Pratt is basically typecast as immature eternal bachelor types.

I think maturity is more important than age when it comes to on-screen couples. And maybe off-screen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone looking forward to this film. I think it looks good and I am looking forward to seeing it. The ship design looks interesting. Its star Jennifer Laurence and Chris Pratt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0968aYSHUXE&t=22s

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,314 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's only 11 years between Chris Pratt and her - whatever about real life I think in the movie business this is fine.

Wow they look near enough around same age to me :eek::o

Any critic reviews out yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There might be 11 years between them, but Pratt and Lawrence seem like a good match in terms of maturity. I mean, Lawrence has played older than herself so many times now that I'm not sure she can convincingly play her own age anymore. And Pratt is basically typecast as immature eternal bachelor types.

I think maturity is more important than age when it comes to on-screen couples. And maybe off-screen too.

One of the main reasons why I've grown tired of Jennifer Lawrence as an actress is that - particularly, in the films of David O. Russell - she seems, to me, woefully miscast in roles that would appear believable if played by an actress a decade older. She always makes me think of a kid in a school play, or a child playing dress-up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Lukeskyrunner

FunLover18 wrote: »
    But you wouldn't get that the other way around. .

Incorrect ,Man of Steel is the perfect example of why your wrong.Amy Adams is 42 Henry Cavill is 33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Incorrect ,Man of Steel is the perfect example of why your wrong.Amy Adams is 42 Henry Cavill is 33
    One example really isn't sufficient to prove someone's wrong...

Anyway, looks like this one is bombing, what a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

One example really isn't sufficient to prove someone's wrong...

... except it was. The other poster didn't say it wouldn't happen the other way around 10 times. He simply said it wouldn't happen the other way around... which clearly it has ;)

Pity, there was potential there for paranoia and an insane robot butler in space but I guess it was too much to hope from a movie that cast two of Hollywood's "they're so hot right now" actors.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Has it actually opened yet? I know the reviews are all mixed, at best, but I haven't seen any actual numbers for it.

The "twist", if you want to call it that, it was in the original release about the film when it was announced, is the thing that seems to be dividing people. I'd still be interested to see it, to see exactly how they deal, or don't deal with it, but I don't think I'd pay to go see it in the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The Studio did complain about it and wanted a young actress, Cavill stood up and said he had no problem with it. Adams bought it up in a interview on Graham Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just back from it now.

i thought it was grand. its got a lovely gentle flow to it and IMO is a perfect date movie. the girl gets her chic flic fix and the lad gets the tech side and spectacle to stop him falling asleep.

:D

i really had no idea what i'd think of this one going in but both leads do their job well and the relationships done believably enough.

7/10 from me.

ya dont need to see this in the cinema though so i wouldnt blame anyone putting it off till DVD/Blueray comes out, but its not a bad day out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I thought it was absolute rubbish, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

just back from it now.
    i thought it was grand. its got a lovely gentle flow to it and IMO is a perfect date movie. the girl gets her chic flic fix and the lad gets the tech side and spectacle to stop him falling asleep.

Having lost interest in it I read up on the plot and this isn't a spoiler to say as it is very early in the movie.... though maybe it is to some so avert your eyes...

Is it really a chic flick? The premise is that this guy doomed to die alone, obsesses over a hot girl as she sleeps, and then decides he loves her so wakes her up, essentially dooming her to the same fate, stealing her life away from her. Great premise for a creepy thriller. Not so much a romantic movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I thought it was absolute rubbish, personally.

10/10 for the review anyway.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Having lost interest in it I read up on the plot and this isn't a spoiler to say as it is very early in the movie.... though maybe it is to some so avert your eyes...

Is it really a chic flick? The premise is that this guy doomed to die alone, obsesses over a hot girl as she sleeps, and then decides he loves her so wakes her up, essentially dooming her to the same fate, stealing her life away from her. Great premise for a creepy thriller. Not so much a romantic movie.

except
    they completly bottle it in the end when she has the option to go back to sleep in the medical pod but stays with him "cause she loves him" :D

i didnt say it was a healty chic flic , but girl in an abusive relationship that turns out well in the end is a trope for that lot and it fits in this film.

that said i DID like how that all played out. it was quite dark and prob the most interesting part of the flim IMO. puls im amazed in this PC age no one seems to have a problem with her near putting a crow bar through his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Putting a crowbar through his head sounds like a very reasonable and forgiving thing to do in the circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

just back from it now.

:D

i really had no idea what i'd think of this one going in but both leads do their job well and the relationships done believably enough.

7/10 from me.

ya dont need to see this in the cinema though so i wouldnt blame anyone putting it off till DVD/Blueray comes out, but its not a bad day out either.

Cheaper to go see it in the cinema than to buy it on DVD/Bluray unless you wait a few years when they are really cheap but in a few years discs might be very rare and hard to get the way things are going and as you said if you go to see it in the cinema its not a bad day out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw this last night and enjoyed it. A solid 7/10 for me.

The reviews are overly harsh - it doesn't deserve the roasting that it got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Interesting, this is the vibe I got from the trailer that had me so strongly expecting it to flop. As much as people go on about the misogynistic elements of the plot or whatever, this is far more damaging to its potential success.

It's got that Nolan level budget and original sci fis really need that visual flair to justify the budget, but the director didn't seem at all capable of it.

Can you elaborate on why you don't need to see it in the cinema? There's surely some attempts at visual spectacle in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

seen this today was ok some nice visuals

one or two face palm moments but otherwise decent

Can you elaborate on why you don't need to see it in the cinema? There's surely some attempts at visual spectacle in it?

they DO try to present some nice visuals but TBH theyre not really relevant to the story and youve seen em all before elsewhere. the ships in deep space so theres bugger all around and
    it only passes a star once on a slingshot which the trailers implied was the "disaster" element of the story and why they woke up but in the film was a scheduled event and no threat at all. they just look at it from an observation level, then go about their usual business.
    even the zero G swimming pool scene- which is nicely done- takes place in a fairly small room and doesnt really add to anything..

if you contrast the visuals to say - Dr Strange- which i would say is one you'd need to see in the cinema as it wont be as good on the small screen you see the difference pretty quickly.

mainly because of the format of the story.

it really is just two people for the majority of the film talking to each other in three settings.

the bar, the fancy apartment, and the canteen.

IMO there really is no "wow" factor in it so you dont lose anything waiting to see it on telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Mr E wrote: »
    Saw this last night and enjoyed it. A solid 7/10 for me.

The reviews are overly harsh - it doesn't deserve the roasting that it got.

Agreed. Its decent enough. For me though i kept waiting for the plot twist........which never came. Too straight forward, there needed to be more going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Just saw this movie last night and I would agree it was a fairly enjoyable show but I would have preferred if they had both woken up by accident. His actions are just so unforgivable it actually ruined the show for me to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I don't disagree with any of the above. In fact, they could've had it that they either both awoke randomly or she did randomly after him. After all,
    Morpheus awoke randomly two years later
    . It didn't need the whole plot point.

Saying that, I thought Chris Pratt conveyed the difficulty of the choice rather well - a year alone will drive anyone mad and he did seem a bit creepy with his Jim Morrison beard and hair. So that part was actually handled pretty well, as was her reaction to his actions. There seemed to be some acceptance of the act on her part, not giving into the abuse as it were, but a realisation that she couldn't actually change anything about the situation - she was awake, so might as well live her life.

Visually excellent. Good score too. I didn't predict the very end in fairness (
    I thought at least she'd go back to sleep
    ) so that was good. I'd watch it again.

Watched this recently.

They really did show the fact that it wasn't a decision Pratt made easily. He was tormented about it for months and kept trying to convince himself not to do it, even up until the act itself.

And Lawrence's reaction upon realizing the truth, even almost killing Pratt afterwards, showed that there were severe repressions for his actions.

However, where I felt it came apart was at the end, when they were a happy couple once more and deeply in love.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Spoilers allowed from this post onward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Fecksake. Knew nothing about this going in.. watched in utter boredom to where the bartender tells her it was pratt who woke her....

"Ohhh, here we go, the robot is the baddie!!! He woke pratt up for some baddie reason!!!!!"

Expected a cross between aliens and the shining.....
    No, just shïte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Car crash of a film. 2/10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was expecting the worst given the poor reception, so perhaps that in itself made it seem like a better film than I would have thought had I seen it in the cinema....but it's really not a bad film at all.

Good visuals, decent performances and story progresses at a decent pace considering it's almost two hours long with a minimalist cast. It's not perfect and there are some fairly big stretches in the narrative, but if you're willing to just it as it is, it's a very enjoyable film.

Very predictable though, I would have liked a twist or two, I sort of felt like I was waiting for a revelation that never happened.

Overall though very decent and I'd consider it a pretty solid 7/10.

Advertisement