Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passengers *spoilers from post 58*

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Really wanted to like this, but couldn't.

The "happy" ending is way too much of a leap.

I dunno if I'd heard something, read something, or just imagined it, but I kept waiting for Jim to die at the end, Aurora be left alone and have to decide whether or not to wake someone else up.
    Honestly would have preferred that to both the ending we actually got, and and ending in the book. Would have helped to make her character more interesting. Obviously her reaction to finding out the truth was a big moment, but considering she's happy enough to forgive him and even commit to their isolated life rather than go back to sleep - it cheapens any tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Really wanted to like this, but couldn't.

I dunno if I'd heard something, read something, or just imagined it, but I kept waiting for Jim to die at the end, Aurora be left alone and have to decide whether or not to wake someone else up.
    Honestly would have preferred that to both the ending we actually got, and and ending in the book. Would have helped to make her character more interesting. Obviously her reaction to finding out the truth was a big moment, but considering she's happy enough to forgive him and even commit to their isolated life rather than go back to sleep - it cheapens any tension.

Wiki doesn't have anything about a book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He means the book at the centre of Lawrence's character in the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Wiki doesn't have anything about a book?

Sorry, I meant the original script - just assumed it was a book.

I would have loved a Mist-style bleak ending, with Lawrence killing Pratt, only to discover that everyone was waking up anyway - the computer's malfunctions caused it to get the dates wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, this is really the ending that the ethical dilemma posed by the premise demanded and in a traditional science fiction story would have received. The ending that we got was the conventional Hollywood third act in which the problem of the premise is temporarily abandoned in favour of plot and spectacle that brushes the aforementioned problem under the carpet before a last minute deus ex reveal resolves it.

I don’t like it but it’s screenwriting 101 for Hollywood writers. And to the film’s credit, Pratt’s death, resurrection and attempt to put things right is a pretty good resolution to the premise's dilemma as it allows Lawrence to make the choice previously denied her. Yeah it’s a boring happy ending with a predictable third act but... I’ve seen far worse.

I’d have preferred the darker, Twilight Zone version, but I liked it fine as it was. It’s basically a romantic sci-fi movie, which is different if nothing else. And contrary to the feminist criticisms, it does deal with its ethical problem. Perhaps cheaply and in an overly conventional way not in vogue at the moment, but it does it. Yeah Pratt is an a**hole for what he did but he redeems himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I enjoyed it I would of preferred like a few that Jim died and she was tortured alone for a while and decided to wake someone, either that or she woke on homestead after choosing sleep, but good turn off your brain flick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I definitely felt that Arthur was going to be more malevolent as we see the robocam look at him at one stage at it whizzes past so I thought we might have seen something there
    Also the fact that he looks like the bartender from The Overlook Hotel with matching infamous carpet

wall-coverings-in-passengers-spaceship-bar-feature.jpg

14.jpg_watermarked_gdg1EeL.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

While I was watching it, I thought the "ship" would wake her up as he stood in the airlock about to space himself recognizing he needed some company but I liked the films choice better. There was more weight to it.

I cannot fathom some of the reaction his decision to wake her up has gotten. People calling it unforgivable. How exactly? He didn't want to be alone. Nobody would. Truth be told I'm a solitary enough fellow but I dont think I would make it a year. I find the decision completely understandable. People are very quick to judge. Put yourself in the same position and ask yourself honestly what you would do. Not what you think the right thing to do is....but what you might actually do.

Similarly I find the prospect of her forgiving him equally understandable. Some folks going on that a "real person would never forgive" but frankly I find that a very juvenile way of thinking. Life tends not to work out that way.

She understood him at the end when he was about to go out the airlock to save them. She begged him not to leave her alone and then she risked her own life to go rescue him to make sure of it. Anger is a temporary emotion and isn't practical long term. I think most people would understand this.

I agree that perhaps a stronger ending would have been him dying and her wrestling with the same decision to wake somebody else up......and ultimately succumbing to it. That ending may not have tested as well but I think it would have made a more impactful ending.

Anywho, I thought it was a fine film. Well worth the watch and more fuel to my own belief that critics know f*ck all about what makes for an enjoyable watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I felt the last half hour was maybe rushed a bit and when the problem was resolved, what was stopping the ship from running into another asteroid field I mean it still had another 88 years to reach the planet. Still enjoyed it though, a visual feast.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Good first half, paint by numbers second half. Disappointed really because there's a very good story / moral dilemma trying to break out but they never really let it and just go down the rom-drama route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Kirby wrote: »
    While I was watching it, I thought the "ship" would wake her up as he stood in the airlock about to space himself recognizing he needed some company but I liked the films choice better. There was more weight to it.

I cannot fathom some of the reaction his decision to wake her up has gotten. People calling it unforgivable. How exactly? He didn't want to be alone. Nobody would. Truth be told I'm a solitary enough fellow but I dont think I would make it a year. I find the decision completely understandable. People are very quick to judge. Put yourself in the same position and ask yourself honestly what you would do. Not what you think the right thing to do is....but what you might actually do.

Similarly I find the prospect of her forgiving him equally understandable. Some folks going on that a "real person would never forgive" but frankly I find that a very juvenile way of thinking. Life tends not to work out that way.

She understood him at the end when he was about to go out the airlock to save them. She begged him not to leave her alone and then she risked her own life to go rescue him to make sure of it. Anger is a temporary emotion and isn't practical long term. I think most people would understand this.

I agree that perhaps a stronger ending would have been him dying and her wrestling with the same decision to wake somebody else up......and ultimately succumbing to it. That ending may not have tested as well but I think it would have made a more impactful ending.

Anywho, I thought it was a fine film. Well worth the watch and more fuel to my own belief that critics know f*ck all about what makes for an enjoyable watch.

I just wonder why they didnt take turns in the medbay chamber, they would have arrived at their destinations aged in their mid 60's roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LongIslandOak

I watched this last night, I really enjoyed it. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Kirby wrote: »

Put yourself in the same position and ask yourself honestly what you would do. Not what you think the right thing to do is....but what you might actually do.

I would have woke up about 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,992 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I do like the ship's design

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I do like the ship's design

It certainly is a stunning looking ship.

I was raging I never got to see this in the cinema.

Very good film and I looked great to. A good story too. The ending could have been better do instead of leaving us hanging like that. Did they both die of old age? Were they alive when everyone else wakes up? Why did they not have children? Maybe they did? I suppose we got to use our own imagination for the ending. Might check out the blu-ray see if there is any good extra's on it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

watched it last night....pretentious bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Was it ever explained why they didnt wake any experts up to help them when they got into the command section? Or did they even need to when there were people like Laurence Fishburne lying around?

Stupid film anyway, massive potential if they'd gone a bit darker with the whole thing, could have been a masterpiece but instead you get generic Jennifer Lawrence character falling in love with generic Chris Pratt character because he's such a hunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

My 73 year old father's review - "There wasn't much too it."

I think he was on the ball there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

There's so many questions that this film gave me but overall i thought it was a good movie,maybe they did have kids and a sequel would be about them living on the other planet?

One thing i kept thinking throughout it is,why did everyone on the crew need to be asleep for the whole 120 years!,they could of had 12 crews working a 10yr shift,crew one works the first 10yrs then wakes up crew two,repeat every 10yrs!,but sure there would be no movie if that happened :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Strange film to be dredged up; didn't find it particularly remarkable in any direction. Stunningly mediocre. A crafty editor could have some fun with a version making Chris Pratt's character less the charming, well-meaning leading man, and more a creepy stalker. The film did address that true, but honestly I never bought into its attempts to square off the Inciting Incident. I strongly suspect the fact it was starring two of Hollywood's most (conventionally) beautiful stars caused a rewrite somewhere in production. Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence must bone and want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Strange film to be dredged up.
    It was RTEs bank holiday film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Strange film to be dredged up; didn't find it particularly remarkable in any direction. Stunningly mediocre.
    I seem to remember liking the set design (if a little generically iFuture), and thinking Michael Sheen did well with a minor role. Otherwise, yes. Enjoyed it for what it was, but not especially memorable.

Advertisement