Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss about childhood?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Nobody just calls over anymore.

You knows it funny Widdershins because I was only thinking of that because I have a neighbour who I'm friendly with and she calls in the odd time just for a five minute chat and it's not too often or overbearing or anything so it's nice.

She called round the other weekend asking if I wanted to pop up to her for one or two drinks. I was thinking "eh that's unexpected but ok" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

a year would go by slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I miss my dad's stubbly 5 o'clock shadow against my face when he pretends to eat my neck.
    I miss my friends bmx with gold wheels coz I didn't have one.
    I miss fat frogs, smash, staying over in my grannies.
    I miss the smell off a new rubber making shoite of a copy book.
    I miss the street I was on.Every day about 30 kids just playing on the road.
    I miss frytex
    I miss yellow pack
    I miss staring through the glass case in toymaster at handheld computer games and remote control cars.
    I miss POB.Anyone remember him????
    I miss cats ears on top of the telly

Could go on......

I DONT miss steaming hot findus pancakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The long summer days when we were up and out of the house before 9am and didn't arrive back till it was near dark. I cant remember getting fed but I'm sure we ate at some stage during the day, it was probably a flying visit home or to some of our friends house for a quick bite to eat and then away off out again to God knows where.

That was the 70's in rural Ireland, a place long gone but never forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Olishi4 wrote: »
    You knows it funny Widdershins because I was only thinking of that because I have a neighbour who I'm friendly with and she calls in the odd time just for a five minute chat and it's not too often or overbearing or anything so it's nice.

She called round the other weekend asking if I wanted to pop up to her for one or two drinks. I was thinking "eh that's unexpected but ok" :)

My old neighbours were fantastic, much like that. I moved away from there, got a bit of a shock with new neighbours being really hostile and spreading rumours, and meanwhile old neighbours divorced..he now lives in my village, which is gas because it's nowhere near our old place and he's a real townie..and he doesn't seem to have anything to say to me anymore. It's weird and awkward and sad. Of course other friends are settled down and I'm just too far away for an impromptu visit.

• Advertisement

a year would go by slowly

A year then was like ten years

And this actually was all fields

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Holidays. Three months off for summer, two weeks off for Easter and Halloween, three weeks off for Christmas.

I should have been a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

That feeling that your life was somehow not banal and was unique and without consequences.

Rarely feeling genuinely bored as you invested even the most commonplace events and times with imagination.

And (for most at least) that simple unconditional feeling of trusting safety that only kids have.

Without being soppy, the best thing about having kids is seeing it all enacted again.

Without being soppy, the best thing about having kids is seeing it all enacted again.

This is the main reason I would want to have kids some day.

For me:

The sharpness of subjective experience - colours seemed brighter, food tasted nicer ... funny things were laugh-out-loud, endorphins-being-released funny, where you were worried you could do damage to yourself.

My body felt more nimble, flexible, light, mobile. I could run, jump, swing, climb, felt so alive :) Going really fast on a bike with the wind passing over you, daydreaming about your future which hadn't happened yet for you or any of your peers and so you had free license to put it on the long finger and daydream...

I wasn't yet aware as to how the dynamics between girls and boys worked - as far as I was concerned I has as much chance of being fancied by the girls I fancied as other lads in my class who would have been "cooler".

I wasn't jaded or cynical. Was in touch with my emotions - if something made me sad I would feel a lump in my throat and tears well up, now it's just numbness which is infuriating.

Was not as mindful of the world, suffering around the world, social injustice, the realities of how crap life was for most of history so less mentally burdened by it nor did i feel as much guilty, although I did used to feel guilty when ads came on with starving children.

Cartoons, computer games, playing outside, christmases, easter .. birthday parties when we would get a slice of cake, bag of crisps, bar and glass of fizzy drink and we'd be too sick to eat our slice of cake by the time we got it :)

Just the carefreeness of it .. could think of tonnes more stuff.

Not to say there was nothing about being a child that sucked but the good outweighed the bad for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Nobody just calls over anymore.

I usually (but not always) find that people who call over uninvited are the last people you want to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I miss the feeling that you had a lot of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Climbing trees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Childhood was confusing. Looking back I guess it felt endless and life was an eternity. 80 years was forever. But at the time the things that seem so trivial now felt so important back then. Just as important as the trials and tribulation I have going on now. So I guess I don't miss anything, but wish I could go back and tell myself to be a bit more free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I miss my dad's stubbly 5 o'clock shadow against my face when he pretends to eat my neck.
    I miss my friends bmx with gold wheels coz I didn't have one.
    I miss fat frogs, smash, staying over in my grannies.
    I miss the smell off a new rubber making shoite of a copy book.
    I miss the street I was on.Every day about 30 kids just playing on the road.
    I miss frytex
    I miss yellow pack
    I miss staring through the glass case in toymaster at handheld computer games and remote control cars.
    I miss POB.Anyone remember him????
    I miss cats ears on top of the telly

Could go on......

I DONT miss steaming hot findus pancakes!

Completely forgot about those little yokes. They were deadly but would only last about a week.

How dare you disrespect crispy pancakes though. They're still a guilty food pleasure of mine.

mzungu wrote: »
    I usually (but not always) find that people who call over uninvited are the last people you want to see.
    Yeah it's fcuking rude to be honest.

Holidays. Three months off for summer, two weeks off for Easter and Halloween, three weeks off for Christmas.

I should have been a teacher.
    The best job there is.

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

I had friends

mzungu wrote: »

Nobody I don't like knows where I live and I never tell people to call over if I don't mean it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Endless soccer in the road.
    Robbing orchards.
    Going across country in Blackrock, Dublin. There were a few fields years ago but mostly we just went into someone house, down the back garden, climbed over the wall, through the next garden, and so on.
    Going to carnivals all around south Dublin, even as far as Rathfarnham.
    Cycling to Greystones from Blackrock just because.
    Climbing to the very top of a chestnut tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

Having a full head of hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hammer89 wrote: »
    What do you miss about childhood?

Santa, the innocence, and the magic of it all . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Not having to pay rent or bills :(

But seeing my parents with my niece made me really miss being a kiddo. They're just the best.

Also not making a noise when I get up off the couch.

Advertisement