Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss about childhood?

Options
  • 24-11-2016 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

There's something quite pretty about the sight of an unmanned bicycle gliding down a residential road. Of course, it invariably smashes into a car or person, but in the few seconds before it begins to veer left and right, you think it'll go straight forever and ever. This is the ghostie; the art of cycling a bike downhill and then jumping off to see how long it can go before crashing. It was a big part of my childhood. If we weren't playing World Cup, or red arse, we'd be purposely crashing the big bits of metal that our parents often struggled to afford, because children, looking back, are inconsiderate ****.

Sometimes, it wasn't even our own bike. Nope. I remember we took one of our friend's bike off him and ghostied it, without his permission. Minutes later, he was in a flood of tears and that's because he thought we had broken it, which I felt terrible about even though I didn't do it. He sprinted after it, thinking he'd be able to catch up with his precious, but it smacked into a wall. "It's f*cking buckled," he shouted at us from about 30 feet away, in fit of tears. It wasn't buckled - it was grand, but you know kids - and yet we didn't know it at the time.

We were all petrified of his dad Tony. He was a scary fella, who never acknowledged any of his son's friends when they were over. He was also the only one in our pretty posh, suburban estate who had a strong Dublin accent. He must've been a drug dealer or won the lotto or something. But it was conveniently dinner time for all of us when we thought the bike was broken, because f*ck being acosted by Tony. I was scared of him, but I was - and still am - way more scared of my own dad. That evening was just horrible. I was so terrified that an irate Tony would call into my house and explain what happened.

My dad never beat me up or anything, but he had been violent toward my mam on a number of occasions, and when you see this, as a kid, it's very scary and there's always the fear that it'll be your turn one day. He's my favourite person on earth when he's in a good mood, but he wasn't on this particular evening and that only added to the thousands of butterflies fluttering around in my belly. Of course, I hadn't done much wrong, but rationality is an alien concept to a man when the red mist descends. He would famously act first and think second - a motto which did long-term damage to my sisters and I.

It's about half-six and my anxiety is gradually decreasing because it had been about an hour since it happened, and the longer it goes without a complaint, the better. But the door bell goes. You know the stomach-churning feeling you get when something terrible is about to happen? Well I had that feeling, in abundance. My dad gets up and walks to the door, which is obscured from my vision. I'm expecting to hear Tony accuse me of breaking his son's bike - you always expect the worst, right? But I don't hear anything, except my name when it's called by dad.

I'm already on the brink of flooding the gaf with tears as I walk out into the hall, with my best, 'It wasn't me' speech prepared. I don't see Tony, but I do see his son, on his f*cking bike, which is in tip-top condition. The lying sh*t bag knocked in to ask if I was coming out! Words wouldn't do the relief justice. If there is a silver lining to anxiety, it's the relief that makes the mental anguish worth it, in my view. It's such a huge payoff.

That's what I miss about childhood. When ever there were arguments or fights or anything else, bygones would always be bygones within hours of the incident. And that's nice. We must develop things like pride and ego later in life, because there was seldom a hint of either in my group of friends growing up. It's not like that now :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

The Six Million Dollar Man

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Getting up at stupid o'clock to watch the funnies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Boobs every day.. didn't even have to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

A ball of Mala and square of lino.

• Advertisement

Sometimes when I remember things like my father swinging me around, or my sister babysitting me and telling me the most amazing spur-of-the-moment made-up stories, or even just that Sunday evening feeling in my grandparents house with my parents and siblings, all warm and loved. I choke up a little with the knowledge that those days are forever gone and I can never go back, not even for an hour. I'll never feel that special or important again, though I know there are people I am important to.

Life is just so simple when you're a child and sometimes the adult world is hard, but I know I'm lucky to have those special memories of feeling like the most important or cleverest little girl in the whole world when so many have never been made feel that special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Friends just knocking in for you to come out. Meeting up with friends is always so arranged now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lux23 wrote: »
    The sex

Were you an alterboy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Nothing. My childhood, life in fact, was just miserable and sad, up to the age of maybe 20, 21. Since then, despite my whinging, my life has been a rollercoaster that only goes up. Wouldn't get me to be a child again for all the money in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Having meals made for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

When I think of my childhood I always get a bit nostalgia about them, they be over 45 years ago, Summers were always sunny and winter always had snow, Then I remember some of the very bad things that happened, not nice not nice at all, Now I rather live in today, just today and hope the future is as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

My childhood summers. Going to the beach, having the craic with my mates every day and watching cartoons every morning. Was never a big fan of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Kiss chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Not paying taxes..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Getting paid for losing teeth instead of paying to have the fcukers fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

Santy

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The lack of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Being excited about things..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Reading, reading and more reading. Just had so much time back then. Summers were usually wet, dragged on forever, lived in the middle of no where, TV didn't start until the afternoon, reading was all there was to do. Into the city with mum and checked out a stack of books on her account and my account every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

No responsibilities
    Long summers
    Playing football for 12 hours a day
    Knocking in on your friends
    The magic of Christmas
    The excitement of something like a new bike or football jersey
    Decent music (90's child here)
    Camping out on the lawn during the summer

Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Playing football for 12 hours a day

Probably the only thing worth going back to childhood for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Warm sunny summers and Monster Munch crisps.

There was some atmosphere around the place during the summer of 1990, would be great to relive that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

the newness and discovery of things on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Summers. Yes. Of course. And every other school holiday during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Being able to check out school girls without being looked at like a pedo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Being broke and it not mattering!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

The babysitter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

When you'd be waiting for something good to happen whether it would be Christmas or a birthday or a holiday , it would take forever to come but when it did it would be exhilarating , fantastic , awesome , cry with joy and jump with excitement kind of stuff , now I judge things on when the mortgage is due , has the phone to be paid ,what will I owe the tax man , can I fill the jeep with diesel until I get a few bob off someone for a job done , being an adult sucks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Having 18 weeks off a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Friends just knocking in for you to come out. Meeting up with friends is always so arranged now.

Nobody just calls over anymore.

Advertisement