Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idioms, sayings, etc. and what they mean

Options
  • 24-11-2016 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

Just read "wet behind the ears" in a post in AH.

What in the name of Jaysus does that actually mean!? I could Google it but sure then I wouldn't have this thread to keep me occupied for the next 60-90 seconds...

Any other good sayings, Irish or otherwise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I haven't googled this so....

Wet behind the ears means your to young to even dry behind your ears. ? Or when your born your head is wet ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Yeh means you're only a babby. Still wet behind the ears from birth.

Like yourself Kersplat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's an old German idiom, which crossed into American English in the second half of the nineteenth century, and has since become general.

It's probably a farming idiom originally. Newborn mammals, including ourselves, are typically covered in a sticky amniotic fluid. We deal with this by bathing a baby, but farm animals lick their newborns clean. But the skin/fur/hair/wool immediately behind the ears is protected from licking by, well, the ears, so there tends to be a moist, sticky residue there for some time until it dries out, eventually, falls off. It's harmless.

A variation on the expression is "green behind the ears", which confirms the farming source. Human amniotic fluid is generally clear (if it isn't, see your doctor!) but that of sheep has a green-yellow tinge, so newborn lambs can be, literally, (slightly) green behind the ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's an old German idiom, which crossed into American English in the second half of the nineteenth century, and has since become general.

It's probably a farming idiom originally. Newborn mammals, including ourselves, are typically covered in a sticky amniotic fluid. We deal with this by bathing a baby, but farm animals lick their newborns clean. But the skin/fur/hair/wool immediately behind the ears is protected from licking by, well, the ears, so there tends to be a moist, sticky residue there for some time until it dries out, eventually, falls off. It's harmless.

A variation on the expression is "green behind the ears", which confirms the farming source. Human amniotic fluid is generally clear (if it isn't, see your doctor!) but that of sheep has a green-yellow tinge, so newborn lambs can be, literally, (slightly) green behind the ears.

On the farming thing if the animals mother doesn't lick the newborn dry, they will be dry themselves in an hour from their own bodyheat.

The fluid is always clear. In some cases there can be a yellow tinge in lambs and calves after birth but never green.

The green thing looks to have come from America and probably as you say Germany before that. I never heard "Green behind the ears" I heard "Wet behind the ears" though.
    The Americans tend to refer to new things as green and the word comes from a common linguistic origin as grass and then the association with new and freshness. The term "Greenhorn" comes from American cowboy terminology to describe a new/novice cowboy. The green donotes a new part and the horn part is from the horn on western saddles that is used to tie/hold the rope, when roping cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'd ate the bare arse of a child through the bars of a cot

Means

I'm feeling particularly hungry today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I've used the saying "**** eating grin". Likewise to OP I have no idea where it may have come from. Who'd be grinning eating **** or is it that in the process of consuming the ****e, your grimace looks like a grin?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Means

The variation I've heard is "I'd each a child's arse through a cane chair".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

fizzypish wrote: »
    I've used the saying "**** eating grin". Likewise to OP I have no idea where it may have come from. Who'd be grinning eating **** or is it that in the process of consuming the ****e, your grimace looks like a grin?

According to Quora

No one knows for sure where it came from, but there are two origin theories.

The current "it's just common sense"/dog theory says that it comes from the very self-satisfied look animals (like dogs and possums) get when they eat feces.

The historical theory says that it dates back to Ancient Rome, with folks like Livy describing the debaucherous, demented grins of coprophages (e.g., see: The Priapeia )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

pedigree 6 wrote: »

The fluid is always clear. In some cases there can be a yellow tinge in lambs and calves after birth but never green.

The green thing looks to have come from America and probably as you say Germany before that. I never heard "Green behind the ears" I heard "Wet behind the ears" though...

It's pretty green with dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

niallb wrote: »
    It's pretty green with dogs!

Never noticed it to be green but we always had the pups under red heat lamps so maybe it was. Thought it was black with the slightest hint of red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Rule of thumb:

In the bad old days if you decided to beat your wife with a stick it could not be wider then the width of your thumb :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

racso1975 wrote: »
    Rule of thumb:

In the bad old days if you decided to beat your wife with a stick it could not be wider then the width of your thumb :mad:

To late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Rule of thumb:

there is some debate over that one, the alternative is that it is a carpentry term and the width of the thumb was the measure. Its always had a measuring meaning not the maximum you are permitted to do.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Japanese equivalent is 'ao-ni-sai' which translates as '(like a) blue two year-old'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Peregrinus wrote: »

That's interesting - I'm German and have only ever heard that phrase in English. It could have fallen out of use in Germany, or is maybe a localised thing.

Germans would use the term "Gruenschnabel", though - translates as "green beak". And no, I've no idea where that comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Shenshen wrote: »
    That's interesting - I'm German and have only ever heard that phrase in English. It could have fallen out of use in Germany, or is maybe a localised thing.

http://www.phraseo.de/phrase/noch-feucht-hinter-den-ohren-sein/

http://www.phraseo.de/phrase/gruen-hinter-den-ohren-sein/

Same in Dutch ... "Nat achter de oren" (or "Nog niet droog achter de oren") and "Groen achter de oren".

Alun wrote: »

Never said it doesn't exist, just that in the 30 years I lived there, I never once heard it nor read it anywhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Never said it doesn't exist, just that in the 30 years I lived there, I never once heard it nor read it anywhere ;)
    I'd certainly heard the Dutch version when I lived there, so I just Googled the German equivalent and bingo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I like these two popular ones but the meaning is fairly obvious.

"Houston, we have a problem" from the crew of Apollo 13. Meaning "we're fcuked".

Also like "Beam me up, Scotty" from Star Trek, meaning "let's get out of here right now"

What's "made it by the skin of his teeth" all about? Teeth don't have skin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I often use "job's oxo" to mean "job's done" but not a lot of people know what I mean.

I think it came from an old Oxo ad but I'm not sure. Could be a Dublin thing as more Dublin people tend to say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Rule of thumb:

That's actually not true. Although one judge did admonish a man for beating his wife with a stick wider than his thumb, he was pilloried for it and became a laughing stock. It's a carpentry term that I can't remember the origin of right now..

Dogs Bollox is a bastardisation if box deluxe, same with box (bog) standard.

Although not a phrase, a soldiers salute comes from the days when knights would joust. As they passed each other they would lift their face visors and that has continued to this day.

I heard that "that's the bee's knees" originates in the way Italian migrants used to pronounce "that's the buisness"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I heard that "that's the bee's knees" originates in the way Italian migrants used to pronounce "that's the buisness"

It's one of a number of animal/attribute idioms that popped up over time. The only other one that really survived was 'cat's pyjamas'.

The 'dog's bollocks' idiom is likely a deliberately coarse mimicry of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Yeh means you're only a babby. Still wet behind the ears from birth.

Like yourself Kersplat.

I always thought it meant you're young because your mam just gave you the "spit-shine" on the cloth behind the ears :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Olishi4 wrote: »
    What's "made it by the skin of his teeth" all about? Teeth don't have skin.

I think that's the point - any closer and he wouldn't have made it at all.

Ha. Love it - I hope this is true:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

There's a phrase in Irish that means 'it will drive me mad': 'cuirfidh sé soir mé'. It literally translates as 'it will send me East'.

Apparently this originates from Connemara i.e. West Galway. The psychiatric hospital in Galway is in Ballinasloe - East Galway. So anyone who was driven mad was literally sent east.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Means

see also "I'd ate the balls off a low flying duck"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

trout wrote: »
    see also "I'd ate the balls off a low flying duck"

Ah trout.

You don't pass through here half often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

fatknacker wrote: »
    I always thought it meant you're young because your mam just gave you the "spit-shine" on the cloth behind the ears :/

It means you're naive or stupid. Calling someone Green is the same meaning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

We used to have a battle axe neighbour who would say "and the bastard still sh1tting green" when she was talking about someone young in a position of authority

Advertisement