Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE to outsource young people programmes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

boombang wrote: »
    I don't know if anybody caught this issue as covered by RTE's this week programme:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9_21093202_0__

Usually I'm impressed with the objectivity shown by this show, but I thought this piece was disgraceful handwringing from the perspective of RTE as unionised employer. The piece is even listed as "RTE cutbacks". Surely outsourcing something is just paying the money outside the organisation with an open tender (which brings the benefit of competition).

I know people will see this planned outsourcing as a thin end of the wedge for RTE. I'd welcome that wedge.

You would but as I have said RTE seem to be only doing this to meet "outsourcing" requirements.

And also are you losing your job before christmas, and is the outsourcing happening at the beginning of the new year so that you might apply to get some of that outsourcing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I don't know if anybody caught this issue as covered by RTE's this week programme:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9_21093202_0__

Usually I'm impressed with the objectivity shown by this show, but I thought this piece was disgraceful handwringing from the perspective of RTE as unionised employer. The piece is even listed as "RTE cutbacks". Surely outsourcing something is just paying the money outside the organisation with an open tender (which brings the benefit of competition).

it is cutting back on internal production, anyway RTE management declined to come onto the programme so they can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

My main comment was regarding the objectivity of RTE news on this reporting, which I think was lacking.

In the long run outsourcing would lead to less people being directly employed by RTE, but were there any people laid off from permanent jobs at RTE on foot of the outsourcing announcement?

My main comment was regarding the objectivity of RTE news on this reporting, which I think was lacking.

the main way to do objectiveity is to get both sides on, 1 side declined.

RTE management decline to go on RTE Radio!

• Advertisement

Because one side of the debate decided not to accept an invitation to join the segment then it's OK for RTE news to run a biased assessment of a story?

Because one side of the debate decided not to accept an invitation to join the segment then it's OK for RTE news to run a biased assessment of a story?

no the presenters should have researched fully what was happening from their perspective. you should complain to the BAI.

Elmo wrote: »
    you should complain to the BAI.

It has crossed my mind.

Boards debating aside I think there are good reasons to open up production to competition. There are other problems at RTE that sit more on the editorial side IMO, which won't necessarily be addressed by outsourcing. However, a fresh breath of competition could really improve what we get out of Montrose.

It has crossed my mind.

Boards debating aside I think there are good reasons to open up production to competition. There are other problems at RTE that sit more on the editorial side IMO, which won't necessarily be addressed by outsourcing. However, a fresh breath of competition could really improve what we get out of Montrose.

The problem is that montrose are trying to do the exact opposite.

as i said AFAIK RTE must provide a certain amount of hours to Indo Producers on TV, I think its 50% of all home produced programming must come from the independent sector. RTE are basically going to provide them with all of the children's programmes which is cheap to produce, and could potential reduce the amount of money going to Independent production companies.

the other problem is children's TV is clearly underfunded.

I haven't listened to the debate on RTE but going from what is said here on boards.ie it sound very ill informed regardless of RTE managements involvement.

I haven't listened to the debate on RTE but going from what is said here on boards.ie it sound very ill informed regardless of RTE managements involvement.

Whatever one's views about outsourcing, it really seems that annoucement was badly mishandled. I certainly wouldn't be happy as an RTE employee with the way it has broken.

From what you've said about children's broadcasting: is it being picked off as a soft target in order to reach the quota? If so, would it seem fairer that the 50% quota was applied across all broadcast categories?

• Advertisement

no the presenters should have researched fully what was happening from their perspective. you should complain to the BAI.

as you know balance can be had over a number of programmes and they had a spokeperson on drivetime during they week which they played a small section of

but anyway this must have been planned for a while... i'd've like to hear more about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

So after RTE and their d4 mates creating a load of false hysteria about this they have today announced a u=turn #fakenews

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Except that new programmes made for this year will only be for RTEjr & none at all for TRTE.

as you know balance can be had over a number of programmes and they had a spokeperson on drivetime during they week which they played a small section of

but anyway this must have been planned for a while... i'd've like to hear more about that

Regardless of balance on this topic, I have seen no mention of how much RTE spent on producing children's programming in 2016. If RTE made cuts in 2016 (they axed Two Tube) they are already down from 2015s spend.

No news report has mentioned the amount of funding provided to the YPP department. (Also THE DEN was a Presentation Department Production not YPP.).

No news report has mentioned the amount of funding provided to the YPP department. (Also THE DEN was a Presentation Department Production not YPP.).
    Irish Times seem to be making that distinction, the headline in the paper yesterday was 'RTE to continue to oursource childrens programming', online version today says
    RTÉ’s young people’s programming department may continue to produce presenter links between shows in-house, but the broadcaster’s plan to outsource the making of youth programmes to the independent sector will proceed.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-may-make-concession-on-outsourcing-of-youth-programming-1.2959697 seems to be aim to save jobs of RTE staff

Irish Times seem to be making that distinction, the headline in the paper yesterday was 'RTE to continue to oursource childrens programming', online version today says
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-may-make-concession-on-outsourcing-of-youth-programming-1.2959697 seems to be aim to save jobs of RTE staff

The reporter still doesn't mention how much money YPP department spend on producing TV.

If RTE cut YPP's budget by 20% last year from 2015 and plan to keep 2016 funding into 2018 that means 8million will be spend in 2017.

just say this story

RTE U-turn sees 7 out of 45 staff keep jobs in young people's section http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/rte-uturn-sees-7-out-of-45-staff-keep-jobs-in-young-peoples-section-35416735.html

is it a u-turn at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Your man Reuben who does the continuity links for RTÉjr will probably be kept on in his job if that is the case.

It does seem like a small amount of positions for RTÉ to give back to people who work there. But I would say that the heyday of RTE Young People's programme making in the past has more of a challenging outlook for the future with what it has right now.

The scope of the programming RTÉ are probably asking to produce material on a much smaller budget than before.

The material also probably has to gain the same amount of traction & popularity that RTÉ had in the past. I am in favour of letting the independent of solely having an opportunity to make the programming for RTÉ. They may produce something that could be a more of a hit for a young audience that could gain huge credit for the broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,425 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jeez, what will RTE senior management do to find jobs for their kids now?

It'd be fine if RTÉ's YYP had a good budget and if RTÉ had planned commissions before this month. It still remains that RTÉ won't increase that budget and that it will probably srink this year.

• Advertisement

So as I said RTÉ had reduced its YPP budget by 25% in 2016, RTÉ saying that they are committed to keeping up this level of spending is a joke.

2003 10m
    2004 10m
    2005 12.6m
    2006 14m
    2007 17m
    2008 16.5m
    2009 15.4m
    2010 10.8m
    2011 12.3m
    2012 8.7m
    2013 8.1m
    2014 8.2m
    2015 9.4m
    2016 7.1m

The reason that RTÉ proposed the move of RTÉjr from RTÉ2 is not because of Section 103 but it is purely down to the 2011 decision made by Minister for Coms Carey, which states that RTÉ must make proposals for changes to services.

Now IMO RTÉ2 pre-dates this decision and really isn't part of the decision, I don't think RTÉ even proposed moving RTÉjr from RTÉ2 under phase 2 of their plan, also RTÉjr and TRTÉ both pre-date this decision.

So I don't really see why RTÉ can't move RTÉjr from RTÉ2 without permission of the minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    Now IMO RTÉ2 pre-dates this decision and really isn't part of the decision, I don't think RTÉ even proposed moving RTÉjr from RTÉ2 under phase 2 of their plan, also RTÉjr and TRTÉ both pre-date this decision.

Elmo wrote:
    The reason that RTÉ proposed the move of RTÉjr from RTÉ2 is not because of Section 103 but it is purely down to the 2011 decision made by Minister for Coms Carey, which states that RTÉ must make proposals for changes to services.

Elmo wrote:
    So I don't really see why RTÉ can't move RTÉjr from RTÉ2 without permission of the minister.

But I remember pat rabbitte who was minister at the time was quite irked at what RTE was planning to do given there was not a mention of moving junior from 2 in their 5 year strategy plan . I would expect to see it feature in the next 5 year strategy which is in the works

brick man wrote: »
    But I remember pat rabbitte who was minister at the time was quite irked at what RTE was planning to do given there was not a mention of moving junior from 2 in their 5 year strategy plan . I would expect to see it feature in the next 5 year strategy which is in the works

He didn't seem to do anything, are you suggesting that Pat Rabbitte requested that RTÉ withdraw the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    He didn't seem to do anything, are you suggesting that Pat Rabbitte requested that RTÉ withdraw the move?

When RTE jr was launched he was interviewed at the time and he was not impressed at all with them then suddenly looking to remove that block from 2 when it had not even been mentioned in 5 year document . now I fully agree with moving junior from 2 it makes no sense having 2 channels doing the same thing for 4 hours a day not to mention transmission fees . I even e-mailed him at the time backing up RTE and copied Noel Curran reply from minister was bland in that minister will make decision shortly , of course he didn't RTE just withdrew it . They possibly make a mistake not to mention it at the start for the slow learners in the department

Advertisement