Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about substitution to larger caliber

Options
  • 23-11-2016 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking about trading in my .22lr for a .308. From a FCA1 point of view does this still constitute a substitution? I want to keep my .223.

Thanks,
    Alan.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I think its a fresh application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭alanmc

gunny123 wrote: »
    I think its a fresh application.

OK. So if that's the case, I need to do a FCA2 for my .22 and a new FCA1 for the .308? It's kinda what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

To be honest I think this really depends on the Super in your area.

A substitution is meant to be like for like, however when I was substituting my shotgun for a rifle I was told it was only use that needed to be like for like. ie target shooting for target shooting. The substitution was done, shotgun for rifle.

When I went to substitute my air rifle for a pistol, I was told it had to be like for like, firearm for firearm, ie, rifle for rifle. I had to submit an FCA1 and FCA2.

I have just submitted a substitution for rifle to rifle, target shooting on both, but .17HMR up to .308. I was speaking to the firearms officers yesterday and they are processing the application as a substitution. Now I'll have to wait and see if the licence arrives in the next week or so. :)

Best to put in a call to the firearms officer and ask the question, they may do it for you. Saying that I only shoot at the range so there is much less risk involved than if I was hunting.

What is it you need the .308 for, that will also play a part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

alanmc wrote:
    I'm thinking about trading in my .22lr for a .308. From a FCA1 point of view does this still constitute a substitution? I want to keep my .223.

I sold my 17 hmr bolt action and was buy 6.5 bolt action, I wanted to get a substitution but my was told it had to be a new application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I would be interested in knowing myself as i have a single shot ruger i would like to have rebarreled from .243 to .308.

• Advertisement

PSXDupe wrote: »
    What is it you need the .308 for, that will also play a part in it.

Much like yourself, just long range target shooting at MNSCI. I don't hunt and have no intentions to do so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Every time i've wanted to do a sub it have fallen into these categories:
    1. Large calibre to another large calibre (243 to 308, 6.5 to 308, 308 to 243) - Fine, can be done
    2. Rimfire to other rimfire - Fine, can be done
    3. Shotgun to rifle (or vice versa) - No, cannot be done
    4. Shotgun to shotgun (including semi auto, but not restricted) - Fine, can be done
    5. Any unrestricted firearm to restricted firearm (or vice versa) - No, cannot be done
    I have heard, and only heard, of people having some of the above done that i could not get done. So it's either a case of different interpretation of the rules, lack of knowledge of the rules, or disregard for them and just doing it.

Like with most other things because one person gets it done does not mean you can. It's very district orientated.

To the OP. You have to do it one of two ways:
    1. They allow the sub from the hmr to 308 in which case you need only fill out the FCA1 and only the parts required for a sub.
    2. They do not allow it, and you must either license the 308 as a completely new rifle using an FCA1, and keep the 22 or in the case of trading the 22 against the value of the 308 still do the new application for the 308 using the FCA1 and then cancel the license for the 22 using the FCA2 and using the cancel section of the form.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    To the OP. You have to do it one of two ways:
    1. They allow the sub from the hmr to 308 in which case you need only fill out the FCA1 and only the parts required for a sub.
    2. They do not allow it, and you must either license the 308 as a completely new rifle using an FCA1, and keep the 22 or in the case of trading the 22 against the value of the 308 still do the new application for the 308 using the FCA1 and then cancel the license for the 22 using the FCA2 and using the cancel section of the form.

I guess the best way to do it is option 2. above then and submit a FCA2 and FCA1.

Thanks,
    Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kunekunesika

I read every bit of paperwork when I wanted to get rid of a sb shotgun and get a centerfire. 270 rifle.!!! No way could it be considered like for like, in my mind. 2years, 50 euro ish left on shotgun licence. Spoke to a guard from different part of the country who insisted such application crossed his desk as like for like.!!!! He said just fill in the form, leave no blanks, and submit. Worst case it's sent back, best case save a few euro. To my absolute amazement it went through. Chance it, if your not in a rush, leave no empty sections on form, fill as for a new application. Mine was within the past year.

I read every bit of paperwork when I wanted to get rid of a sb shotgun and get a centerfire. 270 rifle.!!! No way could it be considered like for like, in my mind. 2years, 50 euro ish left on shotgun licence. Spoke to a guard from different part of the country who insisted such application crossed his desk as like for like.!!!! He said just fill in the form, leave no blanks, and submit. Worst case it's sent back, best case save a few euro. To my absolute amazement it went through. Chance it, if your not in a rush, leave no empty sections on form, fill as for a new application. Mine was within the past year.

While I'm not in a mad rush, Mullingar station is painfully slow at processing license applications. My first license took 3 months almost to the day. My .223 application took a little closer to 4 months because the officer responsible as off for 3 weeks so the clock didn't even start until he got back from holidays. I don't want to end up in the situation where I get a call after 2 months saying I need to submit a new application and the clock starts from 0 again.

I might call the station and see what they say. Again, depending on who answers the phone I could get a bum steer though.

• Advertisement

TBH it's this simple.

If you are not bothered about the €80 fee then apply for a new license and eliminate all doubt. Then cancel the 22 with the FCA2.

If you have almost all the time frame of the 22 license to go, then i understand the desire to try and get a sub for it, aong with the apparent quicker turn around time, but as you said you run the risk of being told it cannot be done and you'll have wasted anything from 2 to 4 weeks (or more depending on how fast they process subs) waiting to see if it works.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I did a rifle for rifle straight swop 22lr to 17 about 6 months ago
    I did a rifle to shotgun 3 years ago or so a new application...even chanced my arm with :rolleyes:its a firearm to another firearm...door kinda hit me hard in the arse.. on the way out..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Howa

Sub'd a 22lr there for a 223 no problem this year.

Done something similar for the Father. Subbed his hmr for a 223. I noted they were both unrestricted, bolt action rifles, and both classed as varmint. It went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

I've substituted a .177 air rifle to a .223. It depends on the super I think.

Alot of the anecdotes (and I appreciate all who shared) seem to have succeeded with substitutions where the jump in caliber was quite small (.22lr to .17hmr, or .17hmr to .223). I think .22lr to .308 might be taking the piss a bit.

Having said that I'm going to see a .308 next week. I'll follow up here if I do try a substitution and if it succeeds.

Thanks again to all who posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

alanmc wrote: »
    Alot of the anecdotes (and I appreciate all who shared) seem to have succeeded with substitutions where the jump in caliber was quite small (.22lr to .17hmr, or .17hmr to .223). I think .22lr to .308 might be taking the piss a bit.

Having said that I'm going to see a .308 next week. I'll follow up here if I do try a substitution and if it succeeds.

Thanks again to all who posted.

I was offered a sub from .22 to .308 by my firearms officer when I was getting into deer stalking. didn't go ahead with it but it was at least possible..

Advertisement