Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red wine

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭bilbot79

What you need is a decent haut medoc. I think Chateau lamothe sissac might be one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Red red wine stay close to me ehhhehhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

UB40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

I like my wine to have an aroma of ochre, with a lingering hint of oak and daisies and to taste of a deep firesmoked chestnut with a cheeky infusion of granite and the aftertaste of sweat.
    Ideally lidl have a Chilean red fulfils these requirements for me - chateau de pretentious mile neuf cent de social climber.

(I've never drank red wine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Full bodied for me please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

If you want sweet red it is possible to get red dessert wines and often relatively cheap since everyone seems to think they only make white dessert wine. I remember spotting some a few years back that was dated the year i was born, so i bought a few for special birthdays, delicious but i do like dessert wines. Do be aware theyre very sweet compared to most other wines.

Id agree with several posters that pinot noir is a lovely light red to get started on. Another quite different but very nice one if you can spot a decent bottle for a good price is chateauneuf de pape.

Red red wine stay close to me ehhhehhh.
    LordSutch wrote: »
    UB40.

You be Sutch?- LordSutch?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

I like on occasional glass of red, but invariably I end up throwing out a half or a third of a bottle on occasion because I don't finish it within a couple of days. While visiting a relative abroad, they were drinking from boxes of Red wine. They could pour a glass or three and the box was sealed, they could go back to it a day or two later and it still tasted good. I like the idea of this, a box handy on the worktop, pour a glass when you feel like it and leave it for a day or two and return again when the desire reappears.

I haven't seen many boxes (3l) for sale, any advice other than avoid boxes of wine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Just one moment please..

Aongus Von Bismarck to reception please, Aongus Von Bismarck.

Bismark is a reisling chap,the op wants a non overpowering red as an into to red wine so any notes he made would fall on deaf ears.
    Personally, from the minute amount of the OPs taste id reccomend a mid strengh merlot from new Zealand.Nice way of tasting many wines without breaking the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Aldi do a passable Chateauneuf du Pape for €15.

A 'Cheeky little number', in the immortal words of Eddie Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

I once had created a wine thread in this forum.

Now I see that it has been closed.

Why?

I think wine is an endless topic!

Why close it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I disagree, red wine is either horrible, good or great, not much more too it. All that pretentious what year, flavours, sweetness etc still just amounts to horrible, good or great.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I have found wine to be a useful drink if you want to get drunk for a few hours but not blackout level drunk. I find that it is best to drink the bottle within a space of 10 minutes as if you drink it slowly over an hour you aren't even going to get drunk. Both red and white wine are vile poison, I don't understand how anyone can enjoy the taste of any alcoholic drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yea, but I don't think discussion of the differences in taste is pretentious though, because that's real, I'd agree with all the other stuff you mention. I don't like sweet red wines myself so I'd need to know which are and which aren't particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think it's weird that you would drink a bottle of something that you don't like within 10 mins, isn't getting drunk meant to be fun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agree on the Marquis, top stuff, and tempranillo in general as an easy drinking red, and wouldn't drink a sav blanc from anywhere else.

As for the OP looking for a sweet wine, i find the Dada no. 1 to be sickly sweet, so probably be right up their street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,221 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kids, dont try this at home. Or outside either.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

OP hopefully figured it out since 2016!

Yeah I only copped that on second look.

But for those looking for reds that have some sweetness to them there is Dada as you note.

Menage a Trois

Dark Horse

Apothic

19 Crimes

Lol didn't even notice that, who resurrected this thread!!

Op is obviously living under a bridge now.

Hopefully sipping a bottle of Port to keep warm.

That would be the logical progression step.

• Advertisement

Berwick!

Should have known, always up to no good, like pretending to be Scottish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Drink a bottle in ten minutes is it ?

Not even in ten days according to the latest proposed alcohol guidelines in Canada.

They reckon 2 148ml glasses per week is your limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I gave up drinking wine years back, but I've noticed that recently its slowly sneaking its way back into my life again, as I've been using it a lot of red wine for cooking.

Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

Just one thing... short BBC podcast with Michael Mosley.

Choose Red Wine...

Something about fermented polyphenols and a glass of red with dinner

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001hp70

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Northpole

i like gewürztraminer

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Northpole

as i said above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Where did Aongus Von Bismarck go to? Doing 15 years in a minimum security prison for financial crimes? Lost climbing the Matterhorn? Packed it all on to become a roadie for Kraftwerk?

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Always given me a rotten hangover. So I stick to the whiskey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement