Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent students.

Options
  • 22-11-2016 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

It just occurred to me that a cousin of mine has been a student for 34 years (he is 37 now). Jumps from one thing to the next, he's done art, business, some social studies thing, other stuff I can't remember, and he is off to do heritage studies... Is this a lifestyle choice for some people?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

It just occurred to me that a cousin of mine has been a student for 34 years (he is 37 now). Jumps from one thing to the next, he's done art, business, some social studies thing, other stuff I can't remember, and he is off to do heritage studies... Is this a lifestyle choice for some people?

I think it depends on the context and reasoning behind being a student. I'm 30 and have been engaged in some form of education since I was 4. I have an undergraduate degree and a PhD, however I also frequently end up on courses (certificates, diplomas) that can strengthen my CV for applying for different positions if/when I want to move on to a new job. For example, I completed a course in start up for new businesses to have a better understanding of how new companies work and to get an insight into the work involved.

However none of my extra courses were ever instead of working. I have always completed them in the evenings/weekends if required.

... unless your cousin is a student in the "university of life" or the "school of hard knocks" - in which case there is no hope for him :pac:

What does "Life style choice" mean exactly - I am not clear. I would be curious what makes one career path a career path and another one a "life style choice"? For many people academia is their career path. Usually you find people engaged in that form of long term academia will be lecturing as well to bring the income.

But yes other people do find it harder to find out who they are and what they want and they will jump from study path to study path for a long time to try and find themselves. That would not be a "life style choice" either I am guessing - as I would expect if such people knew what they want they would go for it up front rather than mess about. Doubt they choose to be lost and directionless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

How does he pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Van Wilder Syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

It's his life, why judge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Not exactly. A friend attempted the same college course three times in a row 'til he succeeded. He works in a totally unrelated area now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Social studies. Heritage studies. Abolish all such courses immediately. Fire the staff. Immediate savings. Students forced to face reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How is he paying for it?

As long as it's not coming from tax and without good reason, I couldn't care less what he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

osarusan wrote: »
    How is he paying for it?

As long as it's not coming from tax and without good reason, I couldn't care less what he does.

Comes from a fairly well to do family. He has worked in Supermacs part time. Grants and things like that aswell I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I'm a big believer in continuous education. That said, I've a cousin who is 35 now and has fecked around in college since he was 17. Worked for a few years in menial enough jobs that he always complained about, before returning to college to take up yet another course of questionable merit.

He seems to spend his days on Facebook giving out about the government and reposting the latest populist nonsense from whatever left wing party he is a member of at the moment. Always giving out about the middle classes, despite their taxes paying for him to attend a course in a fairly decent college in Dublin. I'd question the idea that allowing such a lad to go back - yet again, to college is the best use of a portion of the limited budget available to education in this country.

He seems to live in some sort of bubble where his assumed right to continuous education completely overshadow his responsibility to somehow use that education to contribute back to the society that gave him such opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Social studies. Heritage studies. Abolish all such courses immediately.

Not the kind of stuff that translates into jobs in fairness. Same goes for art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I know a few lads like that. I'd love to know much it costs the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've been in college on and off since I was 18 and I'm now 40. Most of it was done whilst working full time. I'm already looking into a course to start next september. Although that one will be part time. I can't do another full time course whilst working fulltime, it's a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Social studies. Heritage studies. Abolish all such courses immediately. Fire the staff. Immediate savings. Students forced to face reality.
    They can be useful, as long as you know you'll need to get extra qualifications before the degree is actually worth anything. I think there are a couple of social studies degrees that actually qualify students as social workers, though. Heritage studies is best when you already have a skill that you want to use within the heritage industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Not the kind of stuff that translates into jobs in fairness. Same goes for art.

Yup get rid of heritage studies, sure there are no tour guides, museum and gallery curators, museum and gallery attendants, historians, archivists, librarians, genealogists, researchers...

Also social study leads to social care and social work both of which definitely lead to jobs. There actually aren't enough social workers at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Thirst for knowledge and a passion for learning new things.

If I had the cash, I'd do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well personally I think learning should not be something that just ends after 21 when you get a degree. Learning should be life long, knowledge should be an asset. If you've worked for the last ten years in a given job but at say age 34 you start to discover a passion for something and want to study it and make a job of it then I don't see anything wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Your Face wrote: »

I know a few lads like that. I'd love to know much it costs the state.
    You do realise that the state will only pay for fees the first time around? As in you can't get funding or a grant to do first year twice in different courses. You also can't draw the dole while in college. So very little I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

How does that work?

Dr. Dr. Permanear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Lukker- wrote: »
    You do realise that the state will only pay for fees the first time around? As in you can't get funding or a grant to do first year twice in different courses. You also can't draw the dole while in college. So very little I assume.

You can, btea and springboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You can, btea and springboard.

BTEA only applies to people who haven't completed a degree, they won't pay you do to the same year again in college if you have previously been funded for it. Works much the same as the grant, except you have to be unemployed for 9 months prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

I'd probably actually consider doing it as a life choice if I had the free flow of cash to do it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Permastudent

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I'll have been in education for 20 years by the time I turn 26. Part of that is loving learning, part of that is the fact that in the broad healthcare field I am in, it would be negligent to not make an effort to continue training and learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its a bit naive to think they can't get the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Grayson wrote: »
    I've been in college on and off since I was 18 and I'm now 40. Most of it was done whilst working full time. I'm already looking into a course to start next september. Although that one will be part time. I can't do another full time course whilst working fulltime, it's a killer.

And there is nothing wrong with that and your passion for constant learning is to be admired. Some do it for career advancement, others do it because of a natural interest to learn more and from the pleasure they derive from it.

I would only have issue with permanent students who use it as an excuse to avoid the real world or expect someone else to fund them while they jump from one course to another aimlessly without translating such courses into creating self sufficiency for themselves. If their "sponsors" are happy to throw such money at them (down the drain), that's their choice but go to the Personal Issues forum and there have been quite a few threads from partners and spouses who are stressed out by their other halves refusing to look for work and hiding behind mickey mouse courses causing constant financial and relationship problems for the relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

BTEA only applies to people who haven't completed a degree, they won't pay you do to the same year again in college if you have previously been funded for it. Works much the same as the grant, except you have to be unemployed for 9 months prior.

Yup, i did a full time 1 year course a couple of years ago and wasn't able to claim anything because i had a degree and it was classed as first year in college even though it was only a QQI course. Only found that out after i had been accepted onto the course and had made plans. Kick in the stomach tbh. Had to live off of savings for a year which was a pretty miserable existence. I get that they can't fund life long students but in fairness i finished my degree 10 years ago and this course was to further my employability and not to doss. (was fckin hard going back to full time study)

I think there should be a cap on grant availability - like you can't apply for 5 years or something. Life is long and it's ridiculous when you're turning people away from trying to further themselves in a sh!tty economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

I know you can do some part time courses that are fully funded by the government on springboard if you are in full time education and have a previous degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If the "Eternal Student" is paying their own way what's the problem?

If taxpayers are funding them forever well there is a point to made. When are they ever going to use their education for the good of the country as a pay back?

No problem with re training for unemployed from the taxpayer just to mention.

Advertisement