Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carpark tip (my car) caught on dashcam - what to do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Stay strong .

Do this for all the poor bastards like myself that's suffered at the hands of these pricks .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It might have been a guard who did it. In that case you are opening up a can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

tk123 wrote: »
    Mine has a parking mode so it stops recording and starts again if it senses movement either in front of the camera or if the car itself moves - it's a busy enough carpark so it wouldn't turn off there but say at home it'll turn off for a few hours during the night if the road is quiet.
    What brand and model is the dashcam. Sounds like a worth while investment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There was another thread here a few years ago with a similar issue that the 'victim' got satisfaction in the end so dont give up here. On that thread the guy had awful trouble getting follow ups from the Garda in question but persevered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It might have been a guard who did it. In that case you are opening up a can of worms.

What are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kala85 wrote: »
    What brand and model is the dashcam. Sounds like a worth while investment.

It and older BlackVue 380 so doesn't have all the bells and whistles like wifi and cloud storage etc but it does the job! I may upgrade to 2 channel for peace of mind after this though - he could have easily hit the back of the car.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There was another thread here a few years ago with a similar issue that the 'victim' got satisfaction in the end so dont give up here. On that thread the guy had awful trouble getting follow ups from the Garda in question but persevered.

This is the thing - do I let the insurance step in or persevere ringing the station every day or call into them? The guy who's handling it seems to be out in a car every day so why not let somebody on the desk deal with it!? I do think something fishy is going on with it - my guess that maybe the other guy isn't insured?

I was out and about the other day and passing the body shop in the business park next door to work so asked him to take a look - said he could sort it with a half bumper respray @ €150 and they can have it back to me the same day if I drop it off early so no hassle being without the car etc He did offer to quote for a full respray instead since I wouldn't be paying but I refused - so I'm doing this fecker a favour like he should have done to me by leaving a note! There's easons, mr price, 3 news agents and dunnes in the shopping centre- he had 20 mins before I came back to run in and buy a pen and paper if he didn't have one and leave a note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I would opt for the entire bumper to be sprayed, not to be an arse hole but there is a chance you will see the difference between the two areas.

It and older BlackVue 380 so doesn't have all the bells and whistles like wifi and cloud storage etc but it does the job! I may upgrade to 2 channel for peace of mind after this though - he could have easily hit the back of the car.

This is the thing - do I let the insurance step in or persevere ringing the station every day or call into them? The guy who's handling it seems to be out in a car every day so why not let somebody on the desk deal with it!? I do think something fishy is going on with it - my guess that maybe the other guy isn't insured?

I was out and about the other day and passing the body shop in the business park next door to work so asked him to take a look - said he could sort it with a half bumper respray @ €150 and they can have it back to me the same day if I drop it off early so no hassle being without the car etc He did offer to quote for a full respray instead since I wouldn't be paying but I refused - so I'm doing this fecker a favour like he should have done to me by leaving a note! There's easons, mr price, 3 news agents and dunnes in the shopping centre- he had 20 mins before I came back to run in and buy a pen and paper if he didn't have one and leave a note.

Kevin! wrote: »
    I would opt for the entire bumper to be sprayed, not to be an arse hole but there is a chance you will see the difference between the two areas.

Do you think so - I would have thought they'd be able to blend it no probs? Been too busy to call them back - i might try nearer the end of yer man's shift and see how I get on. Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

What to do here. I came back to my car in Blanchardstown and some kind person scuffed the wing and also the wheel. Do I need to get my alignment/the wheel checked?! Do I report it? I have it on my dashcam.

402046.JPG
    the black marks look like plastic residue from the other car's bumper, which is easily removed and whatever is left looks like it could be repaired with a paint correction.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    the black marks look like plastic residue from the other car's bumper, which is easily removed and whatever is left looks like it could be repaired with a paint correction.

You're right - i'll go and put a fiver under the wiper of every car in the carpark too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You're right - i'll go and put a fiver under the wiper of every car in the carpark too :rolleyes:

Well tbh I wasn't advocating a cheap fix that you will pay out of your own pocket. I was just suggesting an alternative to respraying the bumper which will easily repair that minimal damage(judging by the photo) and also keep your car's originality intact.

Well tbh I wasn't advocating a cheap fix that you will pay out of your own pocket. I was just suggesting an alternative to respraying the bumper which will easily repair that minimal damage(judging by the photo) and also keep your car's originality intact.

Apologies - I thought you were advocating door banging and tipping in carparks 'oh you can't notice it' brigade!... Actually I can - I have footage of me stopping in my tracks starbucks in hand dumbfounded when I saw it!:o

This place next door is the most convenient for me and gets great reviews. I can walk to it from my office so won't need to get a lift off anyone, won't need to get the bus through scumbubia or have to work from home/be without the car/hire a car.

There is a brilliant detailing place on the other side which also gets brilliant reviews that I hadn't even thought of...but it's a bit far to walk to/from my office if I left it in! If I left it in there I'd want him to do the whole car! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

OK I'm back again with... no update. I was on hols for a week, came back and heard nothing so called the station last week.. gave me Garda's name and told me to call back on Sunday (yesterday)...he was out in a car so call back today... and he was out in the car again when I called today... They took my name and number this time so thought I might get a call but nothing..Now I know they have bigger fish to fry so don't want to nag them.. a friend suggested calling into the station instead rather than calling? By chance insurance called earlier to ask if I got any details and said they can request the info on my behalf but I'm wary of letting them do anything in case they hike up my premium even though I've told the guy 3 times now I'm not paying a cent or claiming on my policy(!)

If you call into the station the best times would be at shift changeover.
    6am 2pm 10pm

9935452 wrote: »
    If you call into the station the best times would be at shift changeover.
    6am 2pm 10pm

The problem is getting near it with Christmas madness - it was like a scene from a disaster movie down there the other day where everyone is fleeing the city lol!

Called at 7:00am told me he was in at midday... called again and he wasn't there and took my name and number again..

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Called at 7:00am told me he was in at midday... called again and he wasn't there and took my name and number again..
    Aa a previous poster has said you need to go to the garda station. It's hardly crime of the century, so they are unlikely to take it further unless you push it.

You need to show up at the station at the start or end of the guards shift, as he has to return to base unless he's tied up on something at the end of the shift life a road traffic accident.

OK so another non-update. I waited until Christmas traffic chaos was over and called into the station at lunchtime. Gard I spoke to was polite enough but not that interested - "oh somebody in the other station must be assigned and there's no much we can do"until I explained that I had provided other party's reg, footage from the cam and that the guard assigned was X from that station.

Took my details again and said he'd look into it so I'll wait until next week and call in again. I'm not in that much of a rush so I'll persevere. I have a weird name and I think by the end of this none of them will have a problem spelling it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What a waste of time, should have listened to Backwards man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I think the guards are hoping you won't bother going back as it's too much hassle.

I think the guards are hoping you won't bother going back as it's too much hassle.

I thought they just needed to put the other guys reg into a computer and get the insurance details - click click and done

• Advertisement

I thought they just needed to put the other guys reg into a computer and get the insurance details - click click and done

This video you have proves nothing btw. How does one know that damage wasn't there already?

RasTa wrote: »
    This video you have proves nothing btw. How does one know that damage wasn't there already?

Thanks for your very helpful and informative posts. I'd love to come and damage your car since you're perfectly ok with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Eh, how does it prove nothing? he sees AND hears the car banging into his :confused:

Galadriel wrote: »
    Eh, how does it prove nothing? he sees AND hears the car banging into his :confused:

Eh that's she :D

Thanks for your very helpful and informative posts. I'd love to come and damage your car since you're perfectly ok with it.

Just playing Devil's advocate and what the Gardai are thinking.
    Galadriel wrote: »

Does it pinpoint the damage that the defendant is claiming? Nope, case thrown out and you can pay the court fees thank you very much.

Just playing Devil's advocate and what the Gardai are thinking.

Does it pinpoint the damage that the defendant is claiming? Nope, case thrown out and you can pay the court fees thank you very much.

Thank you Judge Judy :rolleyes: Why would it be going to court lol?!

Did you get the car repaired?

Eh that's she :D

Oooops! :D

Did you get the car repaired?

No I held off hoping I might get the other guy's details and he could pay for it

• Advertisement

No I held off hoping I might get the other guy's details and he could pay for it

Just keep at it, I wouldn't give up especially with proof, but that's just me.

Advertisement