Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carpark tip (my car) caught on dashcam - what to do?

Options
  • 21-11-2016 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭

What to do here. I came back to my car in Blanchardstown and some kind person scuffed the wing and also the wheel. Do I need to get my alignment/the wheel checked?! Do I report it? I have it on my dashcam.

402046.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Do you have a pic of it after it was hit? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do you have a pic of it after it was hit? :P

That's the black paint not muck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Report it to gardai. They damaged your car and left without leaving a note or reporting it. Did your dash cam get the car registration number?

tk123 wrote: »
    That's the black paint not muck :rolleyes:

Maybe it's the photo, but it doesn't look too bad to me. Not enough to warrant any hassle for yourself anyway

Yep have the reg and footage of him swinging into the space and audio picks up the thump as he hits the car. So annoying - I've put one scratch on the car since I had and now it's scuffed up to match the dings on the doors from other carpark feckers! :(:(:(

Do I need to get the wheel checked?!

• Advertisement

Maybe it's the photo, but it doesn't look too bad to me. Not enough to warrant any hassle for yourself anyway

Do you drive a 132-D golf around Blanchardstown? :o There wasn't a mark on it there before I left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Maybe it's the photo, but it doesn't look too bad to me.

:rolleyes: There's always one.

It's worse than it was before some inconsiderate asshole hit it which is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Report it. This drives me absolutely mental. My car is destroyed with these "barely noticeable" dings.

I see them every ****ing day.

Report it.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: There's always one.

It's worse than it was before some inconsiderate asshole hit it which is all that matters.

It's annoying for sure, but sometimes you have to weigh up whether the satisfaction is worth the hassle, and if it was me in this case, I would say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Yep have the reg and footage of him swinging into the space and audio picks up the thump as he hits the car. So annoying - I've put one scratch on the car since I had and now it's scuffed up to match the dings on the doors from other carpark feckers! :(:(:(

Do I need to get the wheel checked?!

If the car drives straight and theres no lumps taken out of the tyre then your ok with the wheel.

Please please go to the garda with this and get every single euro out of the cretin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's always worth the hassle to get to the arsehole that hits a car and leave as it didn't happen.
    I don't think that the wheel alignment needs to be checked, but you can do it anyway, it's cheap enough.

It's annoying for sure, but sometimes you have to weigh up whether the satisfaction is worth the hassle, and if it was me in this case, I would say no.

I'd rather spend more on getting him caught than I would repairing it.
    I despise these ignorant little ****ehawks that think that this carry on is completely ok.

Serious satisfaction from getting money out of them especially if they are on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Mine was hit twice in a month. Two euro size ding in one door and my boot has been hit knocking the whole thing off by half an inch.

If I had a dash cam I'd chase it up on principle. No question.

kona wrote: »
    I'd rather spend more on getting him caught than I would repairing it.
    I despise these ignorant little ****ehawks that think that this carry on is completely ok.

Serious satisfaction from getting money out of them especially if they are on camera.

And the next one? And the one after that? I know the Demigods that inhabit the motors forum are infallible but attitudes like that have a tendency to bite you in the ass. Sometimes you have to let the fox go or you'll be past caring when you have to deal with the den.

And the next one? And the one after that? I know the Demigods that inhabit the motors forum are infallible but attitudes like that have a tendency to bite you in the ass. Sometimes you have to let the fox go or you'll be past caring when you have to deal with the den.

Sure if you have them on camera nail them all. If you have a fairly expensive car that's rare or even means a lot to you due to work you've put in or whatever and some ****bag decides to ruin it why should you say ah sure let them on.
    Now I'd agree with you if the car damaged was worth a few hundred euro, I wouldn't care. But alot of people have cars that have a value, either in euro or in a attachment that would be seen as their pride and joy.
    Who the **** are these muppets to go around damaging people's property and driving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Definitely go to gardai. All you have to do is show them the footage and damage to your car. You can get them to demand the other persons insurance and report it to their insurance company. Get the damage assessed at your main dealer and send them the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It's annoying for sure, but sometimes you have to weigh up whether the satisfaction is worth the hassle and if it was me in this case, I would say no of responding to my posts.

It is beginning to sound awfully like you are the sort that scrapes cars while parking or smacks doors into the side of cars and thinks it's no big deal 'cause you don't give a fukk.

kona wrote: »
    Sure if you have them on camera nail them all. If you have a fairly expensive car that's rare or even means a lot to you due to work you've put in or whatever and some ****bag decides to ruin it why should you say ah sure let them on.
    Now I'd agree with you if the car damaged was worth a few hundred euro, I wouldn't care. But alot of people have cars that have a value, either in euro or in a attachment that would be seen as their pride and joy.
    Who the **** are these muppets to go around damaging people's property and driving off.

It's 'only' a 12-D ix35... nothing special to many but it's my first proper car that wasn't a banger that I saved for a few years for so yeah it is kind of annoying. I played on and he drove on thru the space because after a few mins another car pulls in beside me.

Calling into the local station tonight with a copy of the recording and have notified my insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Definitely go to gardai. All you have to do is show them the footage and damage to your car. You can get them to demand the other persons insurance and report it to their insurance company. Get the damage assessed at your main dealer and send them the bill.

+1

Without a shadow of a doubt this and make that cvnt pay. Do not let them away with it.

This type of **** drives me bananas and you have my fullest sympathies.

It's 'only' a 12-D ix35... nothing special to many but it's my first proper car that wasn't a banger that I saved for a few years for so yeah it is kind of annoying. I played on and he drove on thru the space because after a few mins another car pulls in beside me.

Calling into the local station tonight with a copy of the recording and have notified my insurer.

Drove on thru the space... Probably looking at what else he can damage.

Good stuff, let us know how you get on and don't be put off by them trying to down play it. Get a quote to repair it and add on a bit to cover the depreciation due to it being repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Can the video be posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I would get great satisfaction out of the fact that they thought they would get away with it but were caught & maybe next time they might park with a bit more consideration for other peoples property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

Do dashcams keep recording even when the car is turned off?

Vic_08 wrote: »
    It is beginning to sound awfully like you are the sort that scrapes cars while parking or smacks doors into the side of cars and thinks it's no big deal 'cause you don't give a fukk.

Na, I've just had enough people scuffing and scraping and doing much worse to my vehicles over the years that I've learned there's battles worth fighting and there's ones that aren't.

There's three types of people that hit and run in my experience;

1)Inexperienced drivers that panic. They by and large learn from it whether you hit them in the pocket or not.

2) Bad drivers. Doesn't matter how many tips they have, they'll always have another, whether you hit them in the pocket or not

3). Drivers that just don't give a fcuk. Possibly (probably) uninsured They won't learn from being hit in the pocket either, plus you'll have the 'ah sure it's just a wee scrape what are you hounding me for?' attitude to contend with as well.

The only way to deal with the the second group is taking the licence off them, that wouldn't even deter the third group.

I have no problem chasing up a hit and run wanker when it's worth it, but I feel you're only annoying yourself when it's not.

Technique wrote: »

Mine has a parking mode so it stops recording and starts again if it senses movement either in front of the camera or if the car itself moves - it's a busy enough carpark so it wouldn't turn off there but say at home it'll turn off for a few hours during the night if the road is quiet.

Technique wrote: »

Mine are hardwired to the battery, record 24/7.

So just to update recording dropped into my local station, they took the details and a copy of my insurance cert and license to send over to Blanch station who will track the guy down and we take it from there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

**** thing to happen. Keep us updated. Interested to hear how it plays out with the dashcam footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Fair play on following it up.

• Advertisement

OK I'm back again with... no update. I was on hols for a week, came back and heard nothing so called the station last week.. gave me Garda's name and told me to call back on Sunday (yesterday)...he was out in a car so call back today... and he was out in the car again when I called today... They took my name and number this time so thought I might get a call but nothing..Now I know they have bigger fish to fry so don't want to nag them.. a friend suggested calling into the station instead rather than calling? By chance insurance called earlier to ask if I got any details and said they can request the info on my behalf but I'm wary of letting them do anything in case they hike up my premium even though I've told the guy 3 times now I'm not paying a cent or claiming on my policy(!)

Advertisement