Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm terrified to get out of bed

Options
  • 20-11-2016 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

It's not because there's a monster in this very poorly insulated bedroom. It's not because it's the afternoon and my dog has almost certainly already done a sh*t somewhere in the house. It's not because I'm depressed. And it's not because I'm lazy. It's because as soon as I get out from underneath this duvet, the cold is going to get me and I don't think I can handle it at the moment. My bedroom is criminally insulated, to the point where I might as well just sleep outside.

I'm in a t-shirt and boxers because oddly it feels much colder now than it was last night. By the time I get up and get into warm clothes it'll be too late. I imagine this is what standing on a landmine feels like. Actually, it's worse because landmines blow you to bits as soon as you step off it, but I'll be fully conscious to endure this chill when it hits me. And who's to say I can walk? My bare feet were exposed all morning, and when I walk they might break off like that bit in Terminator 2. And then what? I'd be a helpless mess on the ground being engulfed by cold weather. I can't invite one of my housemates in because there's toilet paper on the other side of the room and I don't want him or her to think it was used for **** purposes.

I mean, a rock and a hard place just doesn't do this scenario justice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

HTFU
    I am up since 6.45.
    Washed the windows, fed the baby, dropped the young lad to a competition etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Up since 6am , clothed 3 kids and fed, fed dogs, walked dogs, washed and vacumed 2 cars . checked oil and water on both cars. Made lunch for family and just sat down to eat and check what's going on in boardsville......

As Paul Daniels would say... "Not a lot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Think of that sly hound enjoying taking more ****s around the house cos you're a wuss who won't get out of bed. One wuss to another, you understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Pataman wrote: »
    HTFU
    I am up since 6.45.
    Washed the windows, fed the baby, dropped the young lad to a competition etc etc

Don't forget to wash your cape this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

:rolleyes:

*Humblebrag tone* OP, I'm up since 4.35am and have stripped my house bare and cleaned it from top to bottom, painted it inside and out, washed every stitch of clothing in the place, cooked enough dinners to last til Christmas, and reared all of my children to adulthood and it's not even 2pm yet. Would ya get up and feel bad for yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭micar

Up at 8...rare lie in. At 9.30 went for a 11 mile run with the dog...only t shirt and shorts.....weekly shopping in tesco done......Cape washed!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What I'm picking up from this thread is "don't get kids or dogs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

I don't sleep. That's for lazy people.

I have two jobs and two families. One for daytime and one for nighttime.

Aren't I great?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

From the replies so far OP what you need in order to be able to break through the duvet barrier are a couple of brats, a mortgage, some pets, hunger and will power!!

If that doesn't get you out of bed I don't know what will....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Just get outta bed and keep the duvet wrapped around you til you get dressed. It's not that bad. I'm wearing pj shorts and a short sleeve tshirt and the heating isn't on yet and I'm not cold, and I'm always cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Hammer89 wrote: »
    My bedroom is criminally insulated, to the point where I might as well just sleep outside.

Luxury. We used to dream of living in a criminally insulated bedroom.Woulda been a palace to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I grew up in a freezing cold house, and in winter when I'd to get up early for school I just dragged the uniform into the bed and got dressed under the duvet.

Practically had my damn shoes on before I risked exposure to the icy blast.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Our house was that cold we used to sleep in the freezer to keep warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Still in bed myself but have the dogs with me. It's freezing and housemates can't afford heating and I can't afford to pay the whole bill to subsidise their heating all day. I sympathise OP but neglecting your dog isn't fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

It's OK OP, I got up and had breakfast and went back to bed. And I'm still here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Back in the bad winter of 2010 it was, no joke, warmer in the fridge than it was in our pantry. Used to stick my hands in there for a few minutes to warm them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Luxury. We used to dream of living in a criminally insulated bedroom.Woulda been a palace to us.

Oh, we used to dream of livin’ in a criminally insulated bedroom! Would have been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o’clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, eat a clump of coal poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I only got up an hour ago, took a good few hours of psyching myself up for it. The radiator in our room doesn't work so bed is like a magnet for me. I guess I should get some fresh air now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

gman2k wrote: »
    Oh, we used to dream of livin’ in a criminally insulated bedroom! Would have been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
    Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o’clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, eat a clump of coal poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah
    Monty Python says hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

You got a nice warm grave dug for you? Lucky bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭4Ad

B0jangles wrote: »

Back in the bad winter of 2010 it was, no joke, warmer in the fridge than it was in our pantry. Used to stick my hands in there for a few minutes to warm them up.[

Pantry ??? You live in Downton Abbey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Up at 9am, de iced car, made breakfast, done the shopping, home and fire on, and currently making the dinner.

Its not that cold OP, I am still only putting on the oil for a hour in the mornings, and a couple in the evenings.

Wait till January, and your getting up before 7am for work, or is that just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Still in bed myself but have the dogs with me. It's freezing and housemates can't afford heating and I can't afford to pay the whole bill to subsidise their heating all day. I sympathise OP but neglecting your dog isn't fair.

Steady on. I treat her like the princess that she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Fell asleep drunk on the couch last night (I had the foresight to bring the duvet downstairs). Woke up at 9am with dog under said duvet. We both had breakfast and went back to duvet/couch set up until an hour ago. I'm pondering whether to do something productive or veg out for the day in hangover land.

Maybe you need to change rooms? Hog the sitting room?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

It's not because there's a monster in this very poorly insulated bedroom. It's not because it's the afternoon and my dog has almost certainly already done a sh*t somewhere in the house. It's not because I'm depressed. And it's not because I'm lazy. It's because as soon as I get out from underneath this duvet, the cold is going to get me and I don't think I can handle it at the moment. My bedroom is criminally insulated, to the point where I might as well just sleep outside.

I'm in a t-shirt and boxers because oddly it feels much colder now than it was last night. By the time I get up and get into warm clothes it'll be too late. I imagine this is what standing on a landmine feels like. Actually, it's worse because landmines blow you to bits as soon as you step off it, but I'll be fully conscious to endure this chill when it hits me. And who's to say I can walk? My bare feet were exposed all morning, and when I walk they might break off like that bit in Terminator 2. And then what? I'd be a helpless mess on the ground being engulfed by cold weather. I can't invite one of my housemates in because there's toilet paper on the other side of the room and I don't want him or her to think it was used for **** purposes.

I mean, a rock and a hard place just doesn't do this scenario justice.

Its not that cold OP man up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Steady on. I treat her like the princess that she is.

Fair enough, but I know my dogs would be incredibly stressed out if left until afternoon and forced to soil the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

What else were you going to lick it with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Up at 7am, -2c outside, 50km cycle and back for 10.30am. Cooked a nice breakfast then prepared a roast dinner which we've just enjoyed. Sitting down with the family to watch a nice family movie on Netflix. Just putting the cape in the wash with the cycling gear now :)

Advertisement