Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel accommodation for Winterval

Options
  • 19-11-2016 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'll be travelling from Dublin with my wife and two small children and three friends. We are currently booked into Dooleys for a Saturday night, but we're also looking at the possibility of other accommodation. Car parking is a must, as we'll have two cars with us.

Can anybody give us an opinion on the Barley Field. We'll be sticking to the city centre on our visit, so is it a bit out of the way? Is the area safe and quiet (our kids are three and four years of age)? We're also considering the Portree Guest House. Both the Portree and Bailey are charging half the price of Dooleys and we're on a tight budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭dzilla

I'll be travelling from Dublin with my wife and two small children and three friends. We are currently booked into Dooleys for a Saturday night, but we're also looking at the possibility of other accommodation. Car parking is a must, as we'll have two cars with us.

Can anybody give us an opinion on the Barley Field. We'll be sticking to the city centre on our visit, so is it a bit out of the way? Is the area safe and quiet (our kids are three and four years of age)? We're also considering the Portree Guest House. Both the Portree and Bailey are charging half the price of Dooleys and we're on a tight budget.

Did you try the travelodge? Its a 10 minute walk to to the city / 15 min walk to winterval.. the only reason I say it if you have kids there is a Macdonalds and a Rocking Joes diner out there in the same area and there is ample parking.

People might disagree here but i used work in the garage that used be near there and it really is no distance to the city walking, and its been renovated in recent years so very modern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭dzilla

thr portree was / is a hostel i would not know much about the place. Thr fitzwiltom hotel is close to there and they do offers
    the marina hotel is begind wintervil and has parking and is gokd value
    I dobt know much about the barley field

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

thr portree was / is a hostel i would not know much about the place. Thr fitzwiltom hotel is close to there and they do offers
    the marina hotel is begind wintervil and has parking and is gokd value
    I dobt know much about the barley field[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the Fitzwilton and Marina are booked out for those dates - not to mention the fact that they're beyond our budget. We had a look before at the Travel Lodge - it appears to be twice as far from the city centre as the Barley Field. Also, we'll be pushing a double buggy with two children in it, which means fairly slow progress - especially if its uphill.

What is the story with parking in Waterford. Where is convenient to the city centre where the parking is plentiful and relatively cheap or there is no charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭sillysocks

If you can afford to stick with Dooleys I'd say it'd definitely be worth the extra. With two small children Travelodge is too far in my opinion to walk and because of Dooleys location you can easily drop back to the hotel during the day etc to drop off things or pick them up.

I'm not sure on the Barley tree but I think the rooms may be over a pub, and the reviews aren't too promising on TripAdvisor.

There's a car park along the quay across from Dooleys that I think is around 4/5 eur for 24 hours but depending on when you arrive it could be busy. Else you could drop off the passengers and there's a car park beside Aldi in the Glen which is only about 5 minutes walk and is also around 5 eur a day I think. If you're staying in Dooleys you shouldn't need the car during your stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

sillysocks wrote: »
    If you can afford to stick with Dooleys I'd say it'd definitely be worth the extra. With two small children Travelodge is too far in my opinion to walk and because of Dooleys location you can easily drop back to the hotel during the day etc to drop off things or pick them up.

I'm not sure on the Barley tree but I think the rooms may be over a pub, and the reviews aren't too promising on TripAdvisor.

There's a car park along the quay across from Dooleys that I think is around 4/5 eur for 24 hours but depending on when you arrive it could be busy. Else you could drop off the passengers and there's a car park beside Aldi in the Glen which is only about 5 minutes walk and is also around 5 eur a day I think. If you're staying in Dooleys you shouldn't need the car during your stay.

Agreed, especially with young children! I don't know if a bus services that route!

Leave the car at home and get the train or bus. Bus Station is directly across from Dooleys and the Train Station is about 1 kilometre.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

The barley field won't be a great place for kids in my opinion although it's close to where you want to be. Doolys is a good place and stay there if you can . Travel lodge into the city centre is 15 minutes walk and no issue with pram , it's flat the whole way in and out . Either place you will have a great weekend, Winterval is a great festival

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Finding space for two cars in Waterford is easiest of all .
    The full length of Waterford Quays are car parks , but small bit might be excluded for Winterval.
    You could stay in Rhu-Glen 3 miles outside city and find parking no problem in town for Winterval

Thanks for all the replies. We stayed out in Mile Post last year during the festival and found the parking to be bit of an issue with regards to parking two cars near each other in town. My missus got parking along the quays, while I ended up parking in the Fairgreen.

We're bringing the cars as we want to have the flexibility to stop off along the way to see a few things (half of our group are non-Irish). That and kids can be bit of a handful when on public transport.

Dooley's have a special rate for parking on the quays, but we'd probably have to arrive early to make sure we get our spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Thanks for all the replies. We stayed out in Mile Post last year during the festival and found the parking to be bit of an issue with regards to parking two cars near each other in town. My missus got parking along the quays, while I ended up parking in the Fairgreen.

We're bringing the cars as we want to have the flexibility to stop off along the way to see a few things (half of our group are non-Irish). That and kids can be bit of a handful when on public transport.

Dooley's have a special rate for parking on the quays, but we'd probably have to arrive early to make sure we get our spots.

Dooly's is handy as its central, although the quay can get quite busy for parking however if you are leaving the cars there for a few days shouldn't be too bad. The fitzwilton is nice, about 3 - 4 minutes walk to the center of town and has a private car park.

Travelodge again is an option, if you take a five minute walk up the road to the bus stop across from Topaz you can catch plenty of buses going into the city center (603 and 360 buses).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,256 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was trying to figure out which was the Barley Field, its the place that was Rice Guest House, is the pub still the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The portree is a guest house and a mini hostel. I have stayed in rooms before and its basic but good value. Good location also.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

other good hotels near Winterval are the Tower hotel and the Granvile but both are quite expensive, the tower hotel has a private car park

Traceys hotel (the bridge) is very near Dooleys hotel and is good value

Going with Dooley's. What pubs would you recommend? Half of our contingent are non-Irish, so they might like a bit of trad/folk music.

What date will you be down

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Geoffs is the best pub in waterford wont be playing trad but its a proper irish pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Going with Dooley's. What pubs would you recommend? Half of our contingent are non-Irish, so they might like a bit of trad/folk music.
    I can't confirm, so somebody else can, but the Reg's website says they have some trad every night.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Rachiee wrote: »
    Geoffs is the best pub in waterford wont be playing trad but its a proper irish pub

Im sure you meant to say, "In you opinion, Geoff's is the best put in Waterford"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Im sure you meant to say, "In you opinion, Geoff's is the best put in Waterford"

Tully's is a nice bar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Rachiee wrote: »

Geoff's is far from my number 1 go to bar but when you look at it from an appearance and atmospheric point of view then it certainly is the best pub in Waterford. If I have friends down from outside of Waterford or Ireland then this is the first place I bring them.

I have serious issues with the place and management but it is by far the best pub in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

If you want a quiet pub with no craic or music where 70% of the clientele are eating food or drinking coffee then yeah it's the best pub in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    If you want a quiet pub with no craic or music where 70% of the clientele are eating food or drinking coffee then yeah it's the best pub in the town.

There is music in Geoffs...you make your own craic with your friends, its not Disney world.better food than Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

No live music I'm guessing is what DaveSuarez meant.

There's also strange rules about what drinks you can and can't mix (double vodka is apparently not responsible drinking for a first drink of the night) and the most concentrated collection of hispters you will ever find in one place.

Lots love it though so I'd go and form your own opinion about it.

Ohhh, live music, my bad, apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Geoffs is overated and the food is overpriced. Try finding a seat in there too. Nice places to drink in Waterford are Mahers, Tully's, Downes.

if your a middle class anti establishment millenial than maybe geoffs is the place for you, but I doubt you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Geoffs is overated and the food is overpriced. Try finding a seat in there too. Nice places to drink in Waterford are Mahers, Tully's, Downes.

if your a middle class anti establishment millenial than maybe geoffs is the place for you, but I doubt you are.

where do anti everything people go?

Wanderer78 wrote:

Revolution of course !

Revolution of course !

Nice one Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I don't get the hatred for Geoffs, a nice sized pub with good music, nice food and no televisions. Maybe you're intimidated by it...
    I agree with you on the other pubs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Wanderer78 wrote: »

They don't! Too tight to spend it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

Wow - Waterford has changed a lot since my day if that's a significant demographic :)

Advertisement