Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

My 2 cents worth;

You finished a HM and 10 miler in the build up - so it wasn't fitness - I doubt it was weather either.

No one can say how we feel on the day of a race - especially one that you've bigged up a bit in the course of the build up - this brings an additional pressure to hit a time - we've all been there. I also know that additional stress of having sick loved ones at home plays an additional mental stress that cant be overlooked.

I dont think your training was a factor either - (I wont say that your training was spot on - because I don't believe it was (I mean for a goal race) - but that's for another time maybe if I bump into you).

So - best to chalk it off as a bad day - I've had lots of them when things just didn't gel on the day - its difficult to pin point - but you'll get another crack at it and no doubt have happier outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Wottle

I'd second AMK, bad day's happen. I had an absolute stinker in a Half Marathon back in December. I did take one or two minor points from it but I was nearly 15 minutes over my goal time, so there was a lot that remained unexplained.

Bad day, don't overthink and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm only getting around to reading your race report now. Ah no! I feel for you - after putting in so much training, physically and mentally - and dealing with the ups and downs. IMO it takes a lot to pull out of a race, it's a tough decision to make, one that cannot be changed but it seems that it was the right decision to make. Take some time to rest up. Glad to hear that there's a "next".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sorry to read this J. I wouldn't underestimate the stress of the last 2 years plus the last number of months with your wife's illness. Definitely take a break and then maybe consider a different kind of training plan for your next goal. Whatever you decide, make sure you're enjoying it - otherwise what's the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks to all those who offered kind words and observations since my last update, it means a lot. At another time I might have gone hyperanalytical as to why Conn didn't work out, but the world keeps on turning. More on that below.

Apr 26-30

No running at all in this period, apart from jumping in Porterstown parkrun (22:43) on the 30th. I'm closing in on 100 Porterstown parkruns, a personal milestone I hope to reach sometime this summer. That's all by the way, in a sense, as on the 28th wifey got some very good news, which brings us up to...

May 1-9

We belatedly made it to Lanzarote, after having to postpone last year's trip due to my wife's illness. Five days running out there, all easyish stuff early in the morning, although there were a few nice hills in there. Great to see lots of Darkness Into Light tops on the Saturday - I had no idea that there would be so many people doing it out there. What a time for us to get away !

Tue 10/5 - 4.21 miles @8:45/mi

Lunchtime run up to Porterstown, for three different laps within the park, largest to smallest. I met three clubmates in my short stint - amazing how quickly you forget how popular lunchtime running can be.

Wed 11/5 - Club session, Porterstown Park Nothing

I'd all good intentions regarding a return to club activity, but I was feeling less than 100% all day, so sensibly(?) let it slide.

Thu 12/5 - 4.08 miles @8:36/mi

Kind of like Tuesday's run, same three laps, but smallest to largest this time. No drama to report...."and we're sitting on the top of the league" 🏆️

Fri 13/5 - Rest

Sat 14/5 - 3.16 miles @8:40/mi

In an ideal world, I'd have been back on Inishbofin for another crack at the half. However, today I settled for a few miles around Ratoath. I remembered that the last time I ran there, Liverpool beat Chelsea on penalties to win the Carabao Cup. Hence I decided to run the same route. Who would have thought that another penalty shoot out victory would later ensue😀 although I left it at the end of normal time, to watch the Dublin hurlers get another trimming at the hands of Kilkenny in Parnell Park. Ah well, can't have everything.

Sun 15/5 - 6.21 miles @8:58/mi

I had to get out early for this, due to a lot of GAA activity today. This particular stint was quite straightforward, done in time for our hurlers handing the league leaders their first defeat of the season. Days like this make coming back to this team worthwhile. Later the Dubs sent Meath packing in Croke Park, which meant that the trip back to Ratoath had a little bit of extra enjoyment to it. Bit more running related stuff in the pipeline next week. Thanks for reading! J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Delighted to hear about the good news 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to hear your wife got good news😊

Yes indeed, a few more smiles on this log lately 😀 thanks again !

Mon 16/5 - Rest

Tue 17/5 - BHAA Beach Race, Sandymount Bob Heffernan & Mary Hanley 5k

Due to an apparent threat of thunder and lightning, the BHAA committee on Monday decided to postpone the beach race. This left me in something of a pickle. I could take the easy way out and watch Southampton v Liverpool, or join around a dozen clubmates on a mini excursion into North County Kildare. Well, I thought, it's a fast course anyway, and there'll be plenty to drag me around. So in spite of the rain belting down through the morning and early afternoon, I set off, and thankfully it cleared up before I pulled into the car park of the Hamlet Court Hotel in Johnstownbridge, to register on the night. Quite a few people were doing this - it's part of the Kia Race Series, and hence you get a few Olympians in the mix, as well as aul plodders like myself, and every other standard too. Lots of time to warmup. I decided to run out to the 4k mark and back to begin. Was that Lainey gone by me ? I'm in my own world usually if running alone, so unless you're right in my eye line, I tend not to see anyone. I'd forgotten Dubh Geannain was running, so I hadn't been looking out for him. I made my way out to the start with a few lads, including quick feet of this parish, before a long wait for the guards to let traffic through. Was I nervous ? Not at all. One of our Connemarathoners was running too, and he reckoned that the HM runners had the worst deal there 😁

I was mindful of not going out too hard on the slightly uphill opening. The road was fairly wide here, so even though there was a fair bit of traffic, I didn't have as much trouble with it as I usually do in bigger races. Having not done any speedwork in a month, it would have been daft to chase a PB (19:43) or anything close to it tonight. Hence, I picked out a clubmate up ahead (usually a 20/21 min 5k guy) and kept him in my sights.

Sharp left hander soon after the 4k to go mark, leading into the longest part of the race. G passed by as we swung around the bend, seemingly none the worse from his 10 mile warmup. I decided not to tag on, sticking to my original plan of following E's pace. Quite flat through here, passing more than being passed.

Similar to the one before. I could feel myself working a bit harder to keep E in my sights. Sun was out, but the old warm weather training came into play, thankfully. Keep this going, see what happens. I'd probably have struggled with a steep hill at this point, but that wasn't on the agenda tonight. Towards the end of this one, E started to come back to me.

About 200 metres into this one, I caught and passed my clubmate. Would this be the impetus I needed to push on ? Well to my surprise, due to a probable combination of him pushing back and me not being able to make my move stick, he got back in front. There were a few Na Fianna runners around me at this stage, as well as one or two from Raheny, and some other clubs (Trim?) I'm writing this five days after the event, so bear with me 😁 I knew a fast last k was coming, so I tried to keep it going as strong as possible to the turn. I saw the GAA pitches up ahead, and hence the turn for home. Downhill around the bend. Here we go!

Having done the run out and back earlier, I knew exactly what was coming. Forgot to mention earlier, beforehand I dug out a few old reports on here from the last event, in 2019, to get me in the mood. As we headed for home, I was reminded of Lazare's "we're animals" quote. I couldn't say I got to that level of desperation [ C finally nailed his first sub-20 ] but I did give it a bit more welly. As the photos show, I wasn't quite phoning this one in, like a parkrun for example. Over the little humpback bridge with about 400 to go, and time to put the hammer down. So I said to quick feet while we were heading to the start. It didn't happen like that for me, as the legs couldn't raise enough of a gallop to avoid being passed by three or four in the last 200, while only passing one in return (I think). Over the line in a chip time of 21:28. Nothing to shout from the rooftops over, but still my fastest 5k since January 2020, so I'll take it. And yes, as was suggested to me since, I did banish a few demons relating to the Connemara collapse.

Hearing word of Liverpool's successful comeback on the drive back to base made it a better evening's work. By the time most of you read this (I'm writing before the games kick off) we'll know the outcome of the "highly unlikely, but not impossible" task facing the Reds in their attempt to stop Man City winning the league again. Either way, still two cups in the bag, with the possibility of a third next week, so there won't be any tears out of me tonight, whatever happens.

Wed 18/5 - Rest

I had a recovery planned at some stage, but long story short it didn't materialise.

Thu 19/5 - 5.18 miles @8:36/mi

I thought it might be foolish to just sail on to the weekend, so I decided to throw a session into the mix having had a day of nothing prior. Up to Porterstown after work, for a warmup around the grass track, while the cricketers were training. I decided on 12 x 200 on/200 off. With balls occasionally whizzing over towards the parkrun finish line, it was an easy decision as to where the 200 on would be. Push out hard, slight downhill to begin, but then it rises up around the bend, however the wind was behind me as I ran the bend through 150 and back downhill to the 200. Stopped to walk after some of these, as well as watching the activity on and around the crease for the start of my recoveries. Looking at the Strava today, it seems I kept most of them within the 5:30-5:50/mi range, which is better than I expected in advance. Who knows, maybe I'll give one of these track races a go this year after all.

Fri 20/5 - 4.38 miles @9:07/mi

Back to the parklaps this morning. M50 Park first, then Tír na nÓg, and lastly a spin around Porterstown. Legs were feeling the session a bit, but nothing drastic.

Sat 21/5 - No running

Although we were down in Wicklow, and I had brought the runners, there was no realistic chance to do anything. Ideally I'd have gone to Gorey parkrun (Avondale is suspended due to building works) but it wouldn't have been fair to leave wifey with two smallies for the guts of two hours, so I left it. Maybe next time.

Sun 22/5 - LSA Peninsula 4 Mile

My second race this week, with the 5k having given me a taste of what it felt like to race "fast" again. I was in good form as I made the drive to Donabate, for a new race on the calendar. Organised by the Lambay Sports Athletics club, but there was no sign of Lambay island from these parts. Ex Boardsie HelenAnne was lining up though, and not seeing anyone else I knew around my standard(ish) I decided she would be the one to follow. The starter was an old GAA clubmate of mine, and it was he who introduced me to the legend that is John Treacy before we got away. There was a marked reluctance to go to the front among the majority, until a few Raheny boys jumped in. These included a lad in green and white striped shorts. Luckily for him, he had the winning performance on the day to back up that kind of attire 😀

Wind at our backs as we headed towards the sea, under the railway line through a largely downhill opener, with Malahide visible across the estuary. H caught up to me about halfway through, and I matched her thinking I could get a decent time if I managed to make it stick. Not too bad, still with her, and we were passing more than were passing us. There was a Clonliffer just ahead, and a few Luskers - they had a huge representation out of the 356 that took the start. Systems check was all good so far.

Surface wasn't great here, slight rise as we moved away from the sea, passing various car parks as well as Corballis and Balcarrick golf clubs. H led me past a few more, including the Clonliffer, but as we approached halfway, I was finding it harder to hang on to her pace. Not knowing how much training she's doing these days, I was reluctant to bust myself before we'd even started the hard part of this race. Hence I just kept it steadyish up to the halfway mark.

Roughly 3.5k into proceedings, we swing left at the roundabout near the Shoreline Hotel (formerly Waterside) and head back towards the village. Now the fun started, as the wind picked up and we felt it against us for the first time. Clonliffer passed me back, as well as two others, while H was getting smaller and smaller as she sped off into the distance (she finished 40 seconds ahead of me). It's a long straight road, and I was finding it fairly tough to keep motivated and try to get a half decent time out of it. Nothing like FTFT, mind you - yet at the same time, I didn't want to put in a totally embarrassing effort. Hit the three mile marker shortly before the turn for home.

Lefthander onto the new road which bypasses the village. Uphill as we turned, with one Clonliffer talking two of her clubmates through this last battle. All three passed by me on the short downhill, but I passed their clubmate back, as well as a few others who'd run out of gas. I'd run most of the last mile out and back as part of my warmup, so I knew the last climb up and over the railway line would be tough - into the breeze as well. The three Clonliffe women pulled away on the climb, but I was still passing others, including a Raheny woman and a lad from Lusk. As we approached the top of the hill, I could hear him saying "Now. Now. Now. Now. Now" as if to give himself a last push over the top, and down the last couple of hundred metres to the finish. Well, for a change, it was me who had that extra kick in the final seconds, pulling clear of Lusk for a very satisfying conclusion to proceedings.

Time: 27:51 (27:49)

Position: 59/356

It's seldom I race 4 miles on the road. Going back through the archives, it's been over seven years since the last one - a 29:12 in St Anne's Park, to complete the 2015 Lord Mayor's 5 Alive Challenge. It's definitely my best ever road time for that distance, so I was very pleased to go sub-28 in a race of two halves. The reason I say road, is because I have a 4 mile time of 26:40 from the BHAA Maynooth XC in 2019. Hmmm. XC can be a bit off to be fair. Not that I'll worry about it too much - a very positive start to the day, and end to my running week.

Next

I've signed up for the Virtual IKA Run For A Life, taking place over the next few days. At the moment I'm planning to run it in a parkrun. Corkagh (the home of the live IKA runs) if time allows, Porterstown if not. Thanks for reading! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great to see the tide turn here after connemarathon. Congrats on 2 very well executed races following the positive news about your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

You're back in business J, great to see and delighted to hear good news for your wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great to see a couple of good races for you J, well deserved. I've seen quite a few 4m races pop up on Strava recently, it's not a distance I've ever had the opportunity to race, doesn't seem to be a thing in the West but sub 28 seems like a nice milestone time to tick off, sub 7 min miles.

Mon 23/5 - 4.22 miles @9:17/mi

Recovery around Porterstown, after work. Nice and gently does it.

Tue 24/5 - Rest

Wed 25/5 - 4.48 miles @7:41/mi

The car was in for a service, and they needed to keep it in overnight, so instead of GAA I headed to the midweek club session, for the first time this year. It would be interesting to find out what kind of pace I could manage in company. The session was three sets of 400/600, with 200 AR in between, with a 3 min recovery between sets (generous IMO). I kept pace mostly in the 6s, which was nice. Finishing with 4 x 200 on/200 off, I picked up the pace for a strong last one. Happy with my evening's work, and also it was nice to catch up with some people I hadn't seen in a long while.

Thu 26/5 - Off

Collected the car after work, then decided to switch rest days around.

Fri 27/5 - 4.02 miles @8:48/mi

Lunchtime Clonsilla Road/Ongar Road loop. Hearing of Andy Fletcher's death had me on a major Depeche Mode buzz all day. Also, later on we were ordering a coffee and what song comes on but "Then He Kissed Me", obviously to do with Ray Liotta's passing. Great film, with that scene being one of the standouts.

Sat 28/5 - Virtual IKA Run For A Life / Corkagh parkrun

In the interests of authenticity, or whatever term you like to use, I went to Corkagh Park, as it's the home of the IKA runs. I liked the parkrun anyway, having done it once before, back in September 2017. At the time I was training for DCM, and got in a 20 miler the following day. No chance of that happening this time! Great to see Lazare (one of my old proteges) there. Beforehand I had designs on going sub 21, but then since C was running 22:xx pace, I decided that would be sufficient. A very enjoyable run ensued, with one of the local RDs joining us along the way. Around the 4k mark, the two boys picked up the pace. I let them off, but had enough energy of my own to pull away from the lead female, and reel in another lad near the finish. 22:59, 16/146, 4th M45. A great way to support the IKA. The 2012 Run For A Life was the first race I trained for, and they were the beneficiaries when I ran my first marathon (Paris 2014). As long as I'm able to do this, I'll keep supporting them.

Sun 29/5 - 4.05 miles @9:12/mi

I nearly didn't get out for this, feeling a bit tender after a good few pints before, during and after the Champions League final. Sad to lose, but what a season - the maximum possible 63 games, and only four losses. It'll probably never happen again. Disappointed but not surprised by UEFA lies and deflection, as well as the usual fans of mickey mouse clubs with their "bantz". Haters gonna hate. Ah well, it was nice to see the Dubs back lifting trophies again, and my own team racked up their highest ever score in my time with them. So lots of reasons to be cheerful on Saturday too.

Next

Back racing again, with a long overdue return to the BHAA's Dunboyne 5 mile event on Tuesday evening. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks for reading! J.

Great to see that you are back racing again and have put Connamarathon behind you. Interested to see what you do in the coming months. Also the good news for herself.

Another week along the road, as May turns to June, and plans become more settled.

Mon 30/5 - Rest

Tue 31/5 - BHAA Government Services 5 Mile

I was given the option to transfer my registration from the beach race to this event, so on a dark, wet evening, I made the short drive to Dunboyne. Parked in a school about half a mile away from the finish, to discover on the way down that they had secured another closer car park on the day. However, unlike AMK and quite a few others, I didn't bother going back to my car to shorten the post race walk. Plenty of time to get my bib, before warming up around the track, which we would be finishing the race on.

I'd run this race twice before. Although it has a reputation for being a fast course, I didn't run well in either year (2014 - 35:32, 2016 - 35:24). Sure I didn't even have my own Boards log in those days. I reckoned a course PB was definitely on, whatever about the rest. Nice to see lots of familiar faces in the build up. With the rain easing off, we gathered out on the Maynooth road, ready to roll.

I lined up on the outside, thinking (correctly, as it happened) that there would be less traffic out there. Slight drag till we turned off down the country road. Downhill it seemed a lot of the way along here. The other side of that was, especially with me having less traffic to negotiate, in relative terms I was whizzing along. On BHAA Youtube, there's a video of the race. About half a mile (?) into proceedings, you'll see me (blue top) going through at 1:15, overtaking (another) four or five. Bit enthusiastic, you might say. The Ref passed me before the 1 mile mark, looking strong. Maybe he'd come back to me. Sure no panic.

This first section of the race seemed mainly flat or downhill, a couple of little drags but nothing serious. While I didn't feel like I was flat to the boards, I was having doubts that I could keep "even" this pace going. About a quarter way through Mile 2, Mister Drak pulled up alongside, then eased away a bit. Here, I was thinking, if I could keep him and/or The Ref in sight till the last mile, that course PB would surely be gone. About 1 1/2 miles in, a double left hander, then into the second of the three main sections of the race. Passed by a few along here, but then I think I passed one or two as well, so I wasn't overly perturbed in the grand scheme of things.

There were a couple of little groups forming, as I hung with two or three others along this gently rolling middle mile. I didn't bother taking on water at the start of it - I didn't notice anyone else ahead of me doing so either. Getting harder to maintain pace, but on the other hand, it was a sign that I was working hard and not just letting the race happen. I could still see D maybe 60-70 metres ahead. Far from disastrous if I could hold that gap. Mind you, it did seem a lot longer than the first two miles. Shortly before the turn for home, I could feel myself retching, and pulled in to the side, convinced that my lunch was about to come up. Thankfully, nobody was treated to that unseemly spectacle, but it did knock me out of whack a fair bit. Not sure exactly how long I stopped for (20-30 seconds?) but I turned for home and finally passed the 3 mile marker, with a changed mindset for the remainder.

4 & 5

I'll take these two together, as by and large they were the same - me just finishing out the race, while being passed by a lot more than I was passing. Feeling fairly p!$$3d off over what had happened, but there will be other nights. I did have a small bit of added motivation at the end though. There was a large Raheny contingent in action, as per. Mick Clohisey was on the road before the turn into the grounds, encouraging his clubmates, one of whom was closing in on me, it seemed. Not on my watch. I might have been running shi'ite for nearly 2 miles, but I was in no mood to be passed on the track. Looking at the video, I had a much bigger gap than I thought, as I crossed in a miserable 35:48, not even a course PB. Next time I'm not leaving a seven hour gap between eating and a race. Even so, great to talk to so many post race, including AMK, scotindublin, Mister Drak, and quick feet. I warmly welcomed the water, banana, tea, and especially the biscuits and cakes, before making my way home. I had to laugh looking at the results the next morning, as I hadn't even considered that we might have won a team prize (our regular rivals weren't there tonight). As it transpired, we were first in C Class, with moi the second scorer. So not a complete and utter disaster after all 😁

Wed 1/6 - 4.31 miles @9:22/mi

A tired D15 parklaps shuffle after work, starting with Porterstown, working down to Tír na nÓg, and from there to M50 Park.

Thu 2/6 - 7.65 miles @8:54/mi

Thinking ahead with the longer races in mind, I decided to try running a bit further than of late, even though my legs were still tired. Back to an old favourite, the D15 fish loop - a roughly 5 mile loop, which crosses the N3 twice, either side of passing the NSC, and also passes the Blanchardstown Centre twice. A clubmate was driving by as I crossed the N3 to start the long drag past the NSC. Well timed, my friend ! The last two miles were into the rain, and I had to stop a few times for traffic, but overall I was happy to get this one in the bag.

Fri 3/6 - Rest

Sat 4/6 - Porterstown parkrun (158)

Friends of ours had organised drinks for wifey last night - the first time so many of us had been out together in years. I really enjoyed it (and more importantly, so did she), even though it was less than ideal preparation for running the next morning. Hence, I walked up to Porterstown, to add to my parkrun total - my 95th at Porterstown. Seemingly 100 runs of one parkrun is known as a singleton. Maybe TBO can verify. One of our long time stalwarts - and also the founder of the Porterstown Panthers - was running his 200th, so he was deservedly in the spotlight today. 69 last week, and no sign of stopping - an inspiration and a friend to so many D15 based parkrunners. As for me, having five of the long hills to negotiate wasn't ideal, but negotiate them I did, with one of the RDs on my tail for most of the last three laps. 24:04, 10/81, 3rd M45. For context, the same fella finished nearly five minutes behind me on Tuesday. Not to worry. Coffee and cake went down well at the finish. I would have stayed longer, but we had to be on the road fairly early.

Sun 5/6 - 6.21 miles @8:47/mi

Back in Ratoath, for a spot of dogsitting. I was up early to get this one done. Same as three weeks ago - two stingray laps, with extras added on to the first one - out and back to the GAA club, as well as a spin off to a housing estate at the far end of town. Overcast out there, and as I type it hasn't really brightened up a whole pile. Still, pleased with a comfortable conclusion to this week's running.

Mon 6/6 - Rest

Next

A rematch with the 5 mile distance, as I take on a tricky looking Irish Runner 5 Mile course next Sunday. Maybe the 9 AM start will be more to my benefit.

I've pretty much finalised the racing plan for the next few months, so, for your pleasure, here it is !

Sun 12/6 - Irish Runner 5 Mile, Phoenix Park

Tue 14/6 - BHAA OPW Trail Race (5k), Phoenix Park (possible)

Sun 19/6 - Castleknock 5k

Thu 23/6 - Clonee 10k

Tue 19/7 - Bettystown 5 Mile

Sun 7/8 - Kilbeggan 10 Mile

Sat 10/9 - Ratoath Half Marathon

Participation in the trail race will depend on how the body feels after the IR5. Hopefully the BHAA beach race can be rescheduled - if so, I'll probably run that one. I was originally planning the Docklands 5k on the 23rd, but due to some technical glitch my registration didn't go through. Hence I decided to join some clubmates in Clonee, for my first 10k race in over three years. In my opinion, the Kilbeggan 10 is the best fit time wise between the Bettystown 5 (a PB race for me in 2019) and the Ratoath HM (also a PB in 2019). I'll be taking a little break after all of that, before the cross country season gets into gear. Thanks for reading! J.

Post edited by Wubble Wubble on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey J, the Dunboyne prize is a good consolation, it shows that it's not all about the individual performance. Many's the great game Wheelo had for the Dubs and the team lost, remember that. (Vice versa also, but we won't worry about that). Good stuff. You might step back a bit at some point and analyse what might be contributing to this 'difficult patch', but at the end of the day you're getting out there and getting the job done. Not always the job you wanted, but nevertheless. Hang in there! Your time in Dunboyne was disappointing but definitely not 'miserable', as you described it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

A nice run of races coming up J and good ro catch up with you afterwards. See you in Bettystown, let's hope it is a bit cooler than the last time we raced out there.

Thanks lads, no point in being over optimistic regarding time targets at the moment anyway. @scotindublin yes I remember it well. You were a bit annoyed at not going sub 30 that evening. Great progress since, to say the least.

Tue 7/6 - 3.61 miles @8:51/mi

We're back in the office full time, and also we're dogsitting in MIL's this week, so it's kind of awkward to get good runs in at suitable times. This one was a few very early laps of M50 Park before work.

Wed 8/6 - Fri 10/6 - Nothing

Slight thigh niggle, which I decided to rest up in advance of the weekend.

Sat 11/6 - Porterstown parkrun

Back home at last, in time for me to stroll up for number 159. I deliberately started off slow, and I was pretty much doing as I pleased for the short lap and the start of the first long one (of four). Out of nowhere, as I was passing one of the regulars, I decided to pace her and see could she catch the two lads ahead. I didn't know them, and I reckoned I could pass them myself any time I wanted, so I thought I might make it a bit more interesting. While she did make a fair bit of ground up, she was flagging a bit on the last lap. I caught those two, as well as another fella who'd come back to us. More to the point, my unofficial pacee got a parkrun PB, so she was delighted with that, especially given this temporary course has a fair bit more climbing than the old one. Job done for me. 23:42, 12/69, 4th M45.

Sun 12/6 - Irish Runner 5 Mile, Phoenix Park

Walking up towards the start brought me right back, as far as 2013, when I ran this race for the first time. That day I remember lining up at the front of the second wave, and absolutely tearing off. Today would be a lot more "measured". Sleep has been poor this week, even though diet etc has been better of late. Plenty of time to warm up around the triangle with some clubmates, before we took our places among the Nationals and sub 36.

Up Chesterfield and left past the Ordnance Survey, into the wind here. I'm trying to keep myself and the two lads on an even keel. Focus on the people we started with, don't get distracted by people passing this early, who are clearly faster and/or going out too fast. Through the Furze crossroads and continuing along the Jingle Bells course. Not too bad, but not earth shattering, given those up ahead that I recognise.

Mostly downhill along here, through the Jingle Bells finish area by the Cheshire Home. I'm being mindful of what's to come, so not really stretching it out through here. Don't bother with the water around the mile marker.

Left up the Acres Road. I've only run this stretch in a race once before (GIR 2019). While we're closing on a group ahead, I don't feel the desire to really hammer it home. R takes off as we clear the steepest bit. He has a tendency to go off too fast, so I don't follow. Yet when P (far more consistent in his pacing) follows suit before the Papal Cross car park, I don't give myself an extra push to hang on. Hoping to see wifey as I pass the car park, but given the windy, overcast and occasionally wet conditions, it transpires that she's in the car. Not to worry. Keep going. 3 mile marker is shortly after this. I just don't have that hard racing feel in me this morning.

Left at the Phoenix Roundabout, back on Chesterfield, for a longer stint this time. Wind against us, and with the field more spread out, I can't find any big lads to tuck in behind. As it happens, it's mostly women in my vicinity at this point. Pass one or two, but one I'd passed on the Acres Road (Liffey Valley) passes me back as we turn onto OS Road again. 4 mile marker shortly after the pond. Can I pick it up for the last mile ?

Past the Ordnance Survey again, and sharp left onto the Furze Road with about 850 metres ahead. Scotindublin and another lad are there, encouraging a clubmate who's just stopped right in front of them. She gets going again, but I pass her and another woman. From my warmup, I know there's about 450 metres left from the first poles. Although I can see P up ahead, I don't get near him, and although I pass a few more initially, a few of them pass me back as I amble into the finish. Although my time is a lot slower (36:27) than last week, I don't feel angry about it at all. This wasn't a target race, and for me at least, it's a lot easier when I'm not putting pressure on myself to perform in these races. As above, I've another 5 mile in the pipeline this summer. I should have a bit more zip in the legs by then.

Next

Legs feel fine, so I signed up to Tuesday's BHAA OPW trail race. Back to PP for that one, a nice 5k (two laps) route. Sunday morning sees the return of the Castleknock 5k, with a few changes to the course from other years. Sure no pressure. Thanks for reading! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great effort this morning, a nice couple of races coming for you this week.

Nice couple of races indeed :)

Tue 14/6 - BHAA OPW Trail Race

Back to Phoenix Park, after a nice stroll out from work in the evening sunshine. It was warm, but far from scorching, and the trees provided shelter through most of the windy section as I went through my warmup lap. Good numbers out too. I'd only run this one once before, in 2014, on a different course to tonight. Two laps for a scenic little 5k.

One

Tight enough start beside the Army grounds, as we headed north past the Hurling Ground, across the Camogie Road and over towards the trail running parallel to Chesterfield Avenue. It's not that obvious, but you're climbing steadily enough along here. I'd found a good rhythm, in a group or four or five which included an old college classmate and one of the JDES boys. Tricky little dip just before we turned left and downhill towards the Khyber Road. D took off down the hill, but I was confident that I would reel her in at some stage, although she finished ahead of me in the IR5. Left again at the bottom of the hill and up a short sharp climb through the trees. R flew up this. A few others passed along here, but I reckoned once I could see Tom F I wasn't doing too bad. Passed D back as we emerged from the trees. Cross over to the side of the cricket grounds to complete the first lap.

Two

R was still ahead, but seemed to be coming back to me, as we made our way back towards Chesterfield. I was pulling in a couple of other lads too, so I was happy enough with my progress. Before we reached downhill, I'd caught and passed R. Getting somewhere here. I was mindful of having raced just two days prior, so I didn't go hell for leather down the hill. I was keeping one of the female category winners at bay, while closing on a few other lads. Not quite full tilt at the end, but good enough to beat a few old rivals (not Tom though!) for the first time in a long time. We also won another team prize, so a good evening's work in my opinion.

Time: 22:13

Position: 47/140

Category: 8th M45 (of 17)

Wed 15/6 - Fri 17/6

No running - a combination of not wanting to overdo training with so many races at the moment, and other activity - we'd a night out to celebrate our old work colleague's life on Friday. First time out with work since 2019 !

Sat 18/6

Volunteering at Porterstown parkrun this morning, my 36th time in total to volunteer. Kind of annoyed I didn't run, as the turnout (40) and the standard was so low that I could have got a podium with relatively little effort. Ah well, maybe some other time. I had planned a run some time during the day, but as the day wore on the motivation slipped away. Hearing of the passing of an old friend of mine reduced it further. Her husband was a GAA teammate of mine for years, as was their older son towards the end of my playing days.

Sun 19/6 - Castleknock 5k

In contrast to the trail race above, here I was maintaining an ever present record, having run every staging since the inaugural event back in 2014. This included a stint as 30 minute pacer in 2019 (29:59). I knew I wasn't in anything near PB shape, and the course wasn't the fastest either, so whatever would be would be.

Out the corner gate of Castleknock College (the finish was here in previous years) and into the superfast downhill on Tower Road. I was closeish to the 20 min pacers, but I kept back, conscious that I mightn't have much left for the hard part after this. Kept P in close proximity. Loads of people absolutely whizzed down here. Let them!

Roughly 0.9 miles into proceedings, left turn into PP at Knockmaroon Gate. Bit of a climb here, and we could feel the wind for the first time. It got harder to deal with as we emerged from the dip and turned left onto Ordnance Survey Road. Pacers still in sight here, if I ever had the inclination to try run them down !

Wind picking up here, as we passed the Ordnance Survey (roughly halfway) and it got more exposed. We knew the second half would be tough anyway, so time to steel myself for the turn towards Farmleigh. Nice to get a shout from my old coach at the 3k mark - I had no idea he would be around.

I kept trying to push on as we went through White's Gate and up White's Road. Hard to judge in the main how I was doing. The pacers were gone, although I could still see P, and I'd caught up to one of our newer lads on the way up the hill. Some kid kept stopping - on each occasion someone would give him a bit of encouragement, and then he'd take off again. Thankfully the hill isn't as steep at the top as it is at the bottom.

My old marathon buddy Bill B pulled up behind me, shortly before we reached the crossroads and turned right towards Castleknock village. I'd beaten him on Tuesday, so I reckoned he was gunning for me. I wasn't wrong! Still climbing after we turned right, towards the highest point on the DCM course. Past the back gates of Castleknock College (some of you might remember the slippy corner in the 2018 Rock 'N' Roll half) and then let fly. Well, quicker than I had been going at any rate! I knew B wouldn't let me away that easy, and I knew exactly where the finish was, having left my gear there earlier. So all the way to Myo's and around the corner, foot to the floor. Not only did I keep B at bay (barely!), right on the line I caught a woman who I'd passed and been passed by a few times. In fact, the three of us were given the same time. 21:46, so nearly half a minute faster than Tuesday, on another challenging enough course. Not an amazing time, but a hard enough effort that it took me a good 15-20 seconds to get my breath back on the rails at the finish. I haven't put myself through much of that lately.

Next

The final part of this mini medley of races, as I head for the Docklands 5k Clonee 10k on Thursday night. Supposedly a fast course, but aside from everything I've written about in this post, I haven't raced a 10k in more than three years, so IMO it would be foolish to overthink time targets. I'm just trying to manage expectations here. If nothing else, maybe a couple of nice post race pints, a seldom enjoyed pleasure in recent times. Thanks for reading! J.

Mon 20/6 - Rest

Tue 21/6 - 4.21 miles @8:50/mi

Easy few miles around Porterstown before work.

Wed 22/6 - 3.59 miles @8:41/mi

Six laps of M50 Park. It ended up being a mini progression run, with the laps (roughly 550 metres) starting off nearly 3 minutes duration, and ending closer to 2:50.

Thu 23/6 - Clonee 10k

Home from work before 5, for a quick bite to eat and to give myself plenty of time to get my gear together for the short drive. However, on arriving at race HQ, I was informed that the car park was full, so I got redirected to the hallowed cross country turf of Cow Park, over a mile away from the race start. So not that short. I met AMK driving in as I was shuffling out of CP. Still enough time for a couple of miles warmup, on a very humid and sticky evening (22 deg C). Pleasantly surprised that I wasn't the only one there from the club ! I lined up somewhere in the middle, where I could see my clubmates, but not alongside them - my first 10k since April 2019 would not be one to chase a PB.

The course consisted of a long out (towards Kilbride) and back (over 3k in each direction) with a loop of well over 2 miles at the far end. Rather than a km by km breakdown, I'll split the report into three segments.

Out

Downhill at the very beginning, into a long straight, largely flat with one or two little chicanes. I noted the bits of downhill on the way out, nothing to worry me at this stage, but they might be tricky enough on the way back. Did I mention it was warm ? Well I hadn't even gone a kilometre when I could feel my singlet already stuck to me. Clubmates (two of the three) were visible on the long straights, but I made no effort to get closer. Instead I found a relatively steady rhythm which I felt I could maintain for 10k. Water at the 3k mark, at the end of another long straight, was very warmly welcomed - I didn't see one runner skip the station. It went over the head as well as in the mouth. Systems check after this - everything functioning, kind of, but we were very much in FTFT territory tonight. Long suffering readers of this log will be well aware of my aversion to racing in the heat, and this was a classic example.

Loop

About 2 miles completed, and we turned right for what somebody on Strava has labelled the "Rowan Loop". Bit of a drag at the start, and the first country lane was wide open to the sun. Thankfully, on turning left just after 4k, there was a bit of shade on the right hand side of the road, and everyone drifted over there, not too worried about having to run an extra few metres as a result. Left again just before halfway, slight downhill to start the second half, or maybe I imagined that bit. One or two started dropping off my "pace", more to do with them fading than any increase in speed on my part. Double left hander before 6k, and now some others were passing me. I wasn't too bothered about tagging on - as above, finishing was the main thing here.

In

Loop done, and now back the way we came. Same water station, except now 7k completed. A lady offered me a second cup, even after seeing me gulping down my first. Did I look in difficulty ? I decided not to pursue the matter at this stage. The straight seemed a lot longer coming back, especially when I knew we still had over 2k left at the end. I know it doesn't look great, but just being honest writing this. Remember also that this was my fourth race in a relatively short space of time, eleven days after the first of those. Those little drops I noted on the way out were a bit close to hills for my liking now. I saw a car with the race timing thereon. Over 40 minutes gone, and I hadn't even gone through 9k. Lord above. I could see the finish from a fair bit out - about 500 metres maybe ? On another evening, this would have been an empty the tank job. Trouble was, I was empty from long before. Hence I didn't even raise a sprint coming to the line, as several more runners claimed an easy scalp on the night.

46:38. Call off the search party. For context, the lady who finished almost directly behind me here, was over two minutes behind me in the 5k trail race.

Fair play to AMK, he was on the ball with the water, as I stood a few feet across the finish line, a bit weak, but nothing a couple of minutes sitting down wouldn't cure. Up on the feet again, and back to race hq for pizza, coffee, biscuits and cakes. Not to mention a "medium" t-shirt from the cancelled 2020 Dunboyne 10k - I was glad of it, as my singlet was drenched. No pint for me unfortunately. A couple from Porterstown (both RDs) were better organised on that score, as I chatted to them while they enjoyed their post race pint and pizza combo, before their cycle back to D15.

Fri 24/6 - Rest

Sat 25/6 - Porterstown parkrun

Luckily this morning was a lot cooler, even though the wind was back. I wanted to push myself a bit more than usual here, so I lined up at the front. Out fast and see what happens. Halfway up the first hill, I'd settled into my finishing position. Normally I'd have two or three to run with, but I'd burned them off even before going through four laps to go. First mile was 6:42, with one and a half hills included in that. Between running alone and an over enthusiastic opening, the rest of it wasn't quite up to that standard. Even so, I was happy with my effort levels so soon after a 10k, when from a long way out it was highly unlikely that I would catch or be caught by anyone. 22:20 (my fastest parkrun this year) 7/80, 2nd M45.

Sun 26/6 - 11.00 miles @9:29/mi

With a change in tack incoming, I decided it would be important to get a longer run in, despite a few post Croker beers. Very slow starting off, but I gradually picked up pace (or didn't run so slowly, if you prefer!) This was the five parklaps route revisited, from smallest to largest. The wind was strong coming back, but all things considered I was very happy to complete the run as planned.

Next

With my mini medley of races now in the rear view mirror, back to the midweek club sessions next week. As it stands, I'm not planning to race again until July 19 (Bettystown 5 mile), but I'll need to have some more intervals and longer work on board, in order that I can take on the remaining summer races with more confidence. Thanks for reading ! J.

• Advertisement

"Nobody knows what the future holds, my friend!"

Mon 27/6 - Rest

Tue 28/6 - 5.84 miles @8:50/mi

Comfortable double loop of Clonsilla Road/Ongar Road after work.

Sat 2/7 - Knocknacarra parkrun

We were staying in Galway for a family birthday, so after breakfast in the hotel, I made the short drive to Cappagh Park, for my first time to be a parkrun tourist in the West. Although the start wasn't where I imagined it, I'd a few people to follow, so arrived in plenty of time. Nice friendly crew, but not a fast course. One lap of two pitches to start, then two longer laps heading back towards the car park and then into the woods, with a fair few drags and drops. I remember being a bit lost on the first long lap, and having to wait something like 30 seconds for the next runner. Of course I was going the right way. Not that it mattered really. 25:13, 17/46, 7th M45.

Sun 3/7 - 6.75 miles @9:09/mi

A 6:30 AM start, for a run that took me into the city centre as far as Eyre Square, around to the docks and back out along the Salthill promenade, before turning up the steep hill away from the sea, and back to base. Busier than you might have imagined. Strange seeing all the touristy bits practically deserted, apart from one or two walkers and a bunch of seagulls. This run brought back a lot of memories from numerous Galway trips over the years. Glad I had the energy to get out and do it, before the trip back across the Shannon.

4/7 - 10/7

Just the two runs this week - a quick few laps of Porterstown in between work and GAA, and a Porterstown parkrun which was a struggle on every level.

Tue 12/7 - 7.34 miles @8:24/mi

The captain is trying to get a few Tuesday/Thursday group runs going, so I was able to tag along for a 6 PM start from White's Gate. I had to stop to take two phone calls during this lap of the park, but thankfully, after the first, one of the lads paced me back up. I'll be able for more of these hopefully.

Wed 13/7 - No running

I was volunteering at the BHAA DCC Irishtown 5k in Ringsend Park this evening. Marshalling on one of the corners, in what can be a fairly busy park in summer. Plenty to be watching for, with runners passing me three times.

Thu 14/7 - 6.51 miles @9:16/mi

Out through Clonsilla to the far end of Ongar Road, back down the long straight to Power City before turning right for home. Warm again, with a few long stops at junctions to give me additional respite.

Sat 16/7 - Porterstown parkrun

Scorching start to the morning, as I lined up at the front of a small field. There was a young one visiting from Manchester, who tore off like a scalded cat at the start. Of course, none of us had a clue who she was, she could have been nearly any standard. The leaders caught her soon enough, but even at the end of the short lap, with four laps remaining, me and another fella were highly unlikely to catch anyone or be caught. Hence, I suggested we just pace it out together in the heat. A wise move, as even slow as we were, it was still a taxing enough run. 23:17, 5/42, 1st M45.

Sun 17/7

My second time to volunteer at a race this week, as I was part of the crew looking after the bag drop for the Fingal 10k out in Swords. I didn't envy those who took it on in that heat, even with the firehoses at the 7k mark.

Mon 18/7 - 4.37 miles @9:16/mi

Mini parklaps route - M50 Park followed by Tír na nÓg, with Porterstown last on the list this evening.

Tue 19/7 - B-5 Bettystown 5 Mile

Right up until the afternoon of the race, I was in two minds about whether to travel to East Meath or not. I'd a very good run here in 2019, beating a 5 year old PB, but I was nowhere near PB shape this time, putting it mildly. Better to be sorry I went than sorry I didn't, perhaps. On the way out, I nearly got clipped by a fire engine speeding up to the right turn at Julianstown which brings you to Laytown. Where was the fire I wonder ? Heading out the new road around Bettystown, I could see smoke billowing in the distance. Not the Tesco (registration location) surely ? As it turned out, it was part of the old hotel that was up in smoke, with the fire out long before we got under way. Short warmup from the finish to the Tesco roundabout and back, before a nice chat with an old a former work colleague from Star Of The Sea. A clubmate was unexpectedly there too, but only in a support capacity - his wife was running here. Luckily for me, the 30 deg C temps which were promised failed to materialise, with an overcast 19 being the temp as we set off.

Long straight to begin, from the caravan park past the golf club heading towards Drogheda. I deliberately start a good bit back, trying to keep the pace down and resisting the temptation to try and tear through the field. I know I'm way slower than before, but that's the plan tonight. Stick with it and don't worry. 7:13 for a flat start to proceedings.

Left at around 1.1 miles and then a largely straight second mile, fairly flat again. I pass a guy from Balbriggan about 1.7 miles, keeping pace with a girl from Sportsworld and a couple of Navan runners. The hardest bit is to come, so I take a bit of a breather towards the end of this mile (7:23).

The only real hill in the race comes at the start of this mile, I'm back and forth with Sportsworld and a SOTS woman (not the one earlier) on the climb. Few kids squirting water pistols brings a smile, as I could do with a bit of cooling down. Left at the crossroads at the top of the hill, the highest point on the course. Water at half way, I slow down to walk. Gulp down a quarter of it, tip another load over my head. SOTS and Sportsworld have pushed on while I'm at this. Back in and keep going. The rest of this mile is a gradual downhill (7:38).

Continuing slowly downhill, as we emerge from the country and start to pass the housing estates on the edge of the town. A few lads pass me in the early stages of this mile - DDAC, Boyne and Garristown among them. Catch and pass Sportsworld about 3.5 miles, don't see her again. Lots of support out by the side of the road - great to see and hear, although I don't spot Bluesquare from around these parts. 7:21 for the penultimate mile.

Three left handers to go, first back past the old hotel. Little hump at the Tesco, as I seem to be catching one or two. Get a bit of pace up on the other side of that little hill. I know when we turn left onto the coast road (Golf Links Road) there's about half a mile left. Garristown is a few strides ahead. At least try! Pick it up a bit more, take him, and soon after another lad comes back to me. Two places back! Pass the start and the 400 metres to go sign. Finish it out at something like my old race pace - looking at the Strava as I type, there's bits in the 6:xx, the novelty ! There's only a few yards between me and the gantry as I turn the last corner. Can they get under 37, says the DJ. Not on the clock I can't, but a last little injection of pace gets me under on chip time. 7:15 for the last mile, still not my quickest, but I'm not overly concerned. 36:58 chip time (37:03), 75/382 overall. Massive spread in the golf club afterwards. I resist the temptation to get too greedy, leaving substantial amounts of cakes, biscuits, sangwidges etc for other runners ! So even though this time is over four minutes slower than my PB, and over three minutes slower than here in 2019, I'm thinking it was worth it on the way back down the M1.

Wed 20/7 - 3.57 miles @8:59/mi

It's seldom I start a run at 9:15 PM these days, but between work, GAA and life, this was the best I could do. Twice around the Carpenterstown loop to clear the head a bit.

Thu 21/7 - 6.50 miles @8:56/mi

I'd originally intended another parklap with clubmates, but circumstances dictated that I do it on my own and earlier than they were heading out. Hence, drive home from work, change into the gear, and a quick spin back to Knockmaroon Gate. First four miles or so on road (hilly side first) the rest of it mainly on the trails from Cabra Gate onwards.

Fri 22/7 - Rest

Sat 23/7 - Porterstown parkrun

This was my 100th time to run this parkrun, having been involved with it from its commencement in October 2015. When I knew I was getting close to this little milestone, I made it my business to get there whenever possible. Seemingly 100 runs of a particular parkrun is a "singleton" in parkrun phraseology. I'd all grand designs of giving it the full beans to mark the occasion (I got a shout out from the RD and a cheer from the other runners before the start) but once we got going I wasn't in the mood for that at all. I ran most of it with a work colleague, until he dropped away with about two laps left. Another fella shot by on the last hill, but I was in no mood to fight him, just get to the end. If you look at this run on Strava, it's so easy to tell where I was going up the hill each time. 23:45, 10/62, 1st M45. This was my 164th parkrun in all, spread over 29 different events in six counties - Galway being the sixth. Coffee and chocolate digestives were warmly welcomed, before the half mile or so walk back to base.

Sun 24/7 - 5.74 miles @9:04/mi

I'd planned to meet some of the club's marathon men at White's Gate for a 7 AM start. However, on the drive over (lazy, I know!) I realised I'd left the phone behind, so turned around and went back. Result, starting nearly 20 minutes later on my own. Warm and sunny even this early. I started along the trails to the Hole In The Wall, then cut across to the Phoenix Monument, and back on the trails down to the Polo Grounds. On my second lap of the Polos, while pondering the remainder of my 10 mile route, I saw the lads heading back towards Ashtown, so I turned around and got on that train instead. Great to have the company again - one of the group (Galway man) is going to Croker today, and I for one am hoping that the Westerners can upset the odds. Anyway, back to White's Gate with just the above distance completed for me. I abandoned my 10 mile plan, thinking of the heat and that also I may be racing (BHAA) on Tuesday. It seemed to me we were going a lot quicker than 9 minute miles, but that's what it was !

A couple of days after the aforementioned trip to Galway, life took an unexpected turn for us. Not the doomsday scenario we initially feared, but still ongoing, yet improving slowly as I type. For me, running certainly took a back seat, more than it should have. Next "major" race is the Kilbeggan 10 Mile in two weeks time, but we'll have to wait and see about that one. Sorry for the long update, although it has been a month, to be fair. Thanks for reading! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done in Bettystown J. So easy to avoid races when you're not in the best shape but it's probably a good time to do them to remind ourselves of better days and give us the mojo to get back there, you had a solid performance all the same, nice to reel in a few runners in the latter miles. I've only done Knocknacarra once, didn't particularly like it, it's a strange course and I can easily see why you doubted yourself on it. Shame the maroon & white didn't manage to see it out yesterday, it's only sport but it was a tough defeat on the day all the same, I certainly felt a bit sucker punched in the last 10 mins of play & my boys were heart broken. I had so many neutrals tell me they were hoping the tribesmen would do it, it was nice to hear so thank you for that too. Glad to hear things are improving.

Mon 25/7 - Rest

Tue 26/7 - BHAA South Dublin CCSP 6k, Kiltipper Park

This was a new race on the BHAA calendar, so even though I suspected there might be a few hills, I made the trip to Tallaght to try it out. Even more ups and downs than I thought on the warmup lap. Great views though - at one point on the course, you can see all the way across to Howth. Few stretches at the start, before we got away. Two laps to be completed for this one.

One

Deliberately starting slow, slightly uphill before we start the lap proper, then turning left and downhill. After 0.4 miles, left again for a steeper downhill, little loop at the bottom, straight back up to the lap proper. That spur is roughly 500 metres in total. Even then, there's still another km of climbing before a mainly downhill finish to the lap. I was passed by Bill on the downhill, but I passed a few back on the long climb. Tough work, I was glad of a bit of respite! I still had the energy to smile as I passed photographer Lindie Naughton at the end of the loop, with a convoy having built up behind me.

Two

Time to try and shake some of the pursuers. I try to pick up the pace on the downhill, but one of the women picks it up more, and goes by me before we reach the bottom. Easy to just let the rest slip by, with the steepest part of the climb immediately after we turn. Not this time. I go by her again near the base of the climb. It's tough coming back up, with the wind in your face, and nobody close enough ahead to tuck in behind. Look behind turning a sharp bend, there's still three fairly close. Keep pushing up the rest of the climb. I can't get back to Bill, but I'm pulling clear of the others, and the downhill is a great help coming towards the finish, as I finish over 10 seconds ahead of that group.

Time : 26:58

Position: 38/85

Category: 5th M45 (of 7)

Glad of the water and banana while I get my breath together at the finish, before a short cooldown and chat with Marthastew on the way back to the Tallaght Town car park. A reasonable evening's work.

Wed 27/7 - 4.21 miles @8:52/mi

I had a half day off work today, so I ran up to Porterstown at lunchtime for a few different laps of the park. Just as well, because as it turned out, I wouldn't have had a chance to run later.

Thu 28/7 - 7.75 miles @8:37/mi

I was originally planning a run around the "fish loop" but instead I changed to a variation of the parklaps route. This time, I started with Millennium Park (1.15 miles), from there to Porterstown (1 mile), then Tír na nÓg (1/2 mile) and finally M50 Park (550 metres). As it happens, this was slightly longer than the fish loop stint would have been, but a more interesting route.

Fri 29/7 - Rest

Sat 30/7 - Sport Ireland Campus parkrun

With 100 Porterstown parkruns in the bag, I made a long planned return to Abbotstown, to run the new course for the first time. Wet and windy, although times wouldn't really be a concern today. This was two clockwise laps, so different to e.g. the Euro XC, although it includes a lot of that lap. First lap I ignore everyone except clubmate Tim. Fairly flat to begin, then mainly downhill around the graveyard, with a short flat part at the bottom before a long climb back to Abbotstown House. The climb isn't that steep at any stage, but you do feel it in the legs. The previous course had us going up an old road for nearly 700 metres at the end of each of the three laps. This is better. I pass Tim on the long downhill before the graveyard. Even though I'm trying to pick up the pace on the hill coming back, there's really no need, as I finish nearly half a minute ahead of him, and I'm not close to anyone ahead. 23:44, after a lot more effort than you might think I'd need to get that time.

Sun 31/7 - 10.63 miles @8:51/mi

Thinking how am I going to race 10 miles next week if I can't do 10 easy today, I'm at White's Gate before 7 AM this time. Nobody there at first, till I hear two voices on the trail from Castleknock Gate. Turns out it's two of the lads from last week. Big heavy rain jacket on me, I'm like one of the Clydesdales from the old Budweiser ad on the first long lap (6.11 miles). Glad to leave that in the car and take some water on board before resuming. We lose one of the lads, but another joins us for a couple of miles, before he splits right at the Phoenix, and we go left past the Hole In The Wall, then on the trails from Ashtown Gate back to White's Gate. Very happy to have the company - doing that stint solo wouldn't have been easy at all on a dark wet morning.

Mon 1/8 - Rest

Next

I had an eye on Wednesday's graded meet in Lucan. This is the last one of the summer, with mile and 3000 metre races included. Having not really done any speedwork lately, and feeling nowhere near as fit as I'd like to be, it would be foolish IMO to take on either of those. I might be there in a support capacity though, if we've anyone heading over. As for Kilbeggan, that's still very much up in the air at the minute. Thanks for reading ! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Why not race Kilbeggan, J? It's a decent course and you like racing. I'd be taking it very easy on the buildup though - you've been doing a good bit of racing or near-racing lately.

Thanks D, I'd like to go, as it seems like a fair challenge, certainly not flat! If I do miss it, it will be for a good reason....just the way life is right now.

Tue 2/8 - 7.85 miles @8:28/mi

Six from the club for this 6 PM meetup at White's Gate, including one lad "fresh" from completing the Tucker Trail - 80k in the Wicklow Mountains - last Saturday. Not that you'd have guessed running with him ! In spite of the heat, my pace was more consistent than I imagined during, although I did drop into 8:30s in the last few miles - the hilly side, with Military Hill, Upper Glen Road, and the Furry Glen hill from the pond up to Knockmaroon Gate. Happy to be able to get out and do it.

Wed 3/8 - 6.00 miles @9:18/mi

One of the lads had mentioned running in St Catherine's Park, and it occurred to me that I hadn't run there in "a while". Thumbing back through the Strava archives, I was a bit shocked to discover that I hadn't visited for that purpose since early March (the morning after the Carlingford HM) which had been my only run there in 2022. Back to an old two loop set, starting over by the dog run and down the hill towards the woodland trail. Double figure gradient briefly! That'll wake ye up. Another short sharp hill up to the BMX track, than a relatively flat loop mainly parallel to the railway line. 3.5 miles for the longer lap.

Sun 7/8 - Kilbeggan 10 Mile 4.23 miles @9:10/mi

Realistically, I knew from Tuesday onwards that disappearing for 5 hours plus, for a race in the Midlands, wasn't going to happen for me this time. I didn't even get to a parkrun yesterday, as it turned out, for the first time in eleven weeks. Hopefully Mister Drak and/or Sunny Dayz can concoct top notch race reports, which will more than compensate for the absence of one from me! I can live with not being able to travel. Like I say, some things are more important. Yet although running has taken a back seat, otherwise things are looking up. I did manage to get out for a short run around Ratoath, but even then, I had to chop 2 miles off my planned stint, due to stopping for chats just over 2 miles in.

Next

Hard to plan too much for the coming days as I type - just to say I should hopefully get to run a bit more. The next, indeed the only, race that I have an entry for coming up, is the Ratoath Half Marathon on September 10. At this stage, it's looking like it will be a run for enjoyment rather than a PB attempt. But maybe that will change over the next five weeks. Thanks for reading! J.

Sat 13/8 - Castletown parkrun

This was my first time to visit this one, despite the fact that it's closer to our house than about two thirds of the Dublin parkruns. Glad I could make it, on a scorching morning without a cloud in the sky or a breath of wind. Big numbers for their 250th, including a lad from Griffeen running his 250th. After the briefings, we were away on a slightly uphill drag past the house and down into the woods running close to the Liffey. A two lap course with only a short little hill about three quarters of the way through each to worry about. Yet pretty much throughout proceedings, I felt like I was running with my legs tied together. 24:40, with an increase of pace to pass two in the last 100 metres, felt like awfully hard work today. 39/192, 6th M45. The queues for cake etc afterwards were too long, and I was conscious of time, so I didn't sample any of it this time.

Sun 14/8 - 5.88 miles @9:04/mi

With it scheduled to be the last hot sunny day, I wanted to get out early, and I had enough time to go back to St Catherine's Park. This time I ran the two laps clockwise, which meant I was coming up the zigzag hill up to the dog run to finish each lap. Puffin and pantin and delighted with the water at the end.

I wasn't going to bother with this at all, but reading through the latest log updates (and of course the Novices thread!) gave me sufficient incentive to type this up.

Since the last update, the two runs above have been the sum total of my running. Life has been particularly draining recently. Not so much physically - lack of sleep notwithstanding - but by the time I've done my own work, and then done what's needed here, it's usually been too late, and I've been feeling too smashed, to even think about going for a run. In one way, it's been great to see so many superbly executed sessions and LRs on Strava lately, as the marathon training gathers pace. From a purely selfish point of view though, sometimes it's soul destroying knowing I'm falling further and further behind. And to be honest, I've often had doubts in recent times about whether I'll ever rediscover the old HTFU that served me well on so many days of yesteryear.

Which to summarise means that the Ratoath HM will be simply a case of turning up and getting it done. Far too many lost miles and missed sessions that I can't chase. It's a pity, as I've done well in my two previous runs there, including setting a 3 1/2 minute PB (1:34:05) in 2019, which still stands, possibly for ever more. Hopefully I'll have a bit more to write about here before that. Thanks for reading! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit left behind with the running. I hope you can get to a place where you can run just for enjoyment or headspace and in the future when you have time it will all come back to you, frustrating as it may seem to have to build back to where you were.

We all face times where "life gets in the way". Even just to be able to get out for some fresh air, stretch the legs, clear the head, no pressure will stand to you. And keep up the parkruns for a bit a company, push and accountability.

• Advertisement

In days of yore, I regularly ran more in one week than I have in the last three.

Sat 20/8 - Porch Field parkrun, Trim

Another Saturday, another new parkrun, as I couldn't spare sufficient time to volunteer at the FD10. Warmup was steady but slow, following which I got a few stretches in as the small crowd arrived. This one is a smidgeon in excess of two laps.

Start up a little hill and then drop towards a sharp left hander, passing the finish and running close to the Boyne. Lots of tiny ups and downs here, before the first climb of the lap, heading away from the river. It's actually longer than you think, with a very sharp section over a bridge. I dropped to fourth place here, before turning westward into a strong breeze heading back to the start/finish straight. I got passed coming down the hill, and having overcooked it early on, there was time for one more to catch me as we reached the top of the hill on the second lap. Luckily, even slow as I was going by then, there was nobody else in sight. 23:17, 6/22, 2nd M45. Nice to talk to the first placer afterwards, an Irish Masters XC runner who ran this one solo.

Sun 21/8 - 7.14 miles @8:52/mi

Phoenix Park for this one, starting from the Papal Cross car park just after 11 AM. From the Phoenix roundabout down the trail to the Polos, cross the road at the azoo and over to the lumpy side of the park. Not feeling too bad through here, heading to the trails for most of the remainder (Knockmaroon Gate to Hole In The Wall). Surprisingly, not a single person that I knew. Or maybe I'm just out of touch these days.

Tue 23/8 - 4.22 miles @8:53/mi

I'd actually forgotten about this one until I checked the Strava logs. After work, I headed up to Porterstown and shuffled around three laps of decreasing size, gradually getting drenched in sweat.

Sat 27/8 - parkrun Cill Choca

I'd planned to come back to North Kildare for a while, and having an opportunity to use a bit more cúpla focail made it all the more attractive for me. The volunteer (a friend of Bananaleaf of this parish) did a fine job on the intro.

Is bealach thar a bheith simplí é - siar i dtreo An Bóthar Buí (Enfield), cas, agus díreach aniar in aice leis an gCanál Ríoga.

On the way out, I was following an old GAA clubmate, who now lives out that direction. Not pushing myself overly hard, but knowing he's anything between 22 and 24 minutes for 5k was a help. Turn around, pass him around 3k, and pick up a couple of others on the way back in. It got a bit warmer towards the end, but quite manageable even for me. 22:45, 14/96, 4th M45. The lad I mentioned is a native speaker from Donegal, and it was nice to chat as Gaeilge with him and a couple of other lads at the finish.

Thu 1/9 - MSB Glen Cup XC

This is one of the club's two annual handicap events. Although it's now over six years since I joined, this was only my third time running it. That said, having raced over this territory more than most over the years would be a bit of a help. This was four and a bit laps over the Munich hills, near the Magazine Fort.

Five of us started together, and were still together at the end of the "bit", which took us just over two minutes to complete. The two younger lads pulled away heading for the Magazine Fort - I couldn't follow them this time. Which left me with J and T. I dropped T after the second set of Munich hills, but J was still fairly close, and getting plenty of support, particularly from her young coachees (there were kids races on too). She actually gave me the motivation to keep some kind of pace going through the last couple of laps, during which I was passed by *a lot* of faster clubmates. Not that it worried me this evening - my time was rubbish (29 minutes for 6k) but tonight was all about turning up. Pizza and a pint afterwards went down very well, mind you.

Splits (approximate):-

"Half" lap - 2:02

1 - 6:34

2 - 6:43

3 - 6:51

4 - 6:46

Sat 3/9 - Hartstown parkrun

On a dark, wet morning, I kept my parkrun a bit more local, although it had been almost a year since the last time I ran this one. There were pacers for 20 and 22 minutes (among others) which should in theory have given me a bit more motivation to push myself. However, still feeling some niggles and pain after Thursday, I didn't really care once it got going. I laughed when the timekeeper told me 23:39 at the finish - only a few seconds faster than Abbotstown parkrun in the rain in July. 16/74, 5th M45. Thankfully I had a fresh top in the boot for the drive back.

Sun 4/9 - 6.32 miles @8:48/mi

Back to PP, for another Sunday shuffle. This time I parked over by Knockmaroon Gate, running clockwise. Nice to see Laineyfrecks just before the Ordnance Survey, as well as AMK over near Ashtown Gate. Plenty of other friendly faces out this morning too, as for so many of you the marathon training is nearing crunch time. So much so, that with 8 weeks to go, the DCM mile markers are painted on the ground - you may have spotted the 8 over by Knockmaroon Gate, for example. I enjoyed having the hills at the end this time, with a last push from the Glen Pond up to the finish.

As I type, I'm not sure how much running I'll get in before next Saturday's Ratoath HM. I think at this stage I'll just be glad to finish it. Maybe by the time the cross country season starts (early October) I'll be in a position where I can get back to something approaching training properly. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks for reading! J.

Advertisement