Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Bad luck but there will be other races. Had been looking out for a sandy hat and MSB singlet at Rathgar to no avail!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

sorry to hear this J, sensible decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Sorry to hear this, hope you're feeling better now. There'll be plenty more marathons to come:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Rotten luck J but without doubt you made the correct decision. Recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Hard luck, hope you're feeling better now. Was tracking you and hoping that it was a dodgy chip. Hopefully you'll be back on the roads and racing again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Sorry to read that Sunday did not go well for you. Hope you are feeling well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks for all the good wishes!

Two days later, I'm pretty sure my downfall was caused by either an old cold which I thought I'd shaken off earlier in the week, or a new one which I picked up immediately prior to DCM. What is true is that as I'm sitting here typing, I've got a stuffy nose, and my throat isn't fully cleared up. It didn't feel like that on Sunday morning :rolleyes:

Anyway.

Sun 29/10 - Dublin City Marathon

Pre Race

After starting my DCM training on the hills of Inishbofin at the end of June, I ran my first sub-20 5k in the Docklands race. Subsequently I discovered the Asics sub 3:30 16 week plan, and used this for speed sessions in particular.

Races included the Fingal 10k, which although I got a PB, was one of my worst ever performances. The others were a too fast Rock 'N' Roll HM, which knocked me back for a couple of weeks, and the Race Series HM, which I treated as a progression run.

In spite of missing four out of five LSRs over August and September, I'd trained well in the closing weeks, and was confident of nailing the elusive sub 3:30.

My wife dropped me to Haddington Road about 7:30 or thereabouts. A clubmate had kindly offered the use of his offices near the start and finish, for us to relax before and after with toilets, shower etc. This was brilliant, as it saved me the hassle of queueing to drop in a clear bag, with all my paraphernalia on display :eek:

I found 3:30 pacer FBOT before the start, and told him to shout at me if I passed him anywhere in the first half. That certainly wasn't the plan :pac: Bit of waiting around to get going, and after a walk became a shuffle, which became a slow jog, we were off and running.

Miles 1-3

Very, very slow in the opening few ks. The pacers were pulling away, but I was comfortable with this, as I had lots of time to reel them in if I was good enough on the day. No drama really, apart from the first water stop at 4k was a bit mad. Thankfully I managed to grab a bottle, even though I had to come to a near stop to do so.

Miles 4-6

Easy does it through the narrow roads around the Garda HQ. I'd been running with a group of four or five from Rosses AC, but pulled away from them along the slow drag of Chesterfield Avenue. I spotted AGYR at the Phoenix roundabout and gave her a shout. In return I got "COME ON WUBBLE WUBBLE!!" :pac:

Not much else to report through here, apart from spotting a lad with a mock bloodied hurling helmet with a hurl sticking through it, who was getting plenty of cheers. It was very breezy, but I found a couple of bigger lads to run behind, so it was smooth sailing for now.

Miles 7-9

Through Castleknock Gate, and I'm hit by the amazing support all the way from there up to Myo's. Through 10k in 51:33, 8:18 min/mi. This is fine. Nearly at the end of the longest drag in DCM, and the pacers aren't completely out of touch. As I swung left at Myo's, I saw my wife and her pal out of the corner of my eye, so I turned back down the hill and gave my wife a kiss, to cheers from the crowd :D

Back up the hill, and loads of friends and clubmates along here cheering us on, right up to Castleknock College. A couple of nice downhill miles followed, to bring us down to Chapelizod Gate. Another clubmate was supporting along here. I was indeed looking (and feeling) strong!

Miles 10-13

Another water station beside Donore Harriers. I made it my business to pick up water at every station. More great support as we turned left after crossing the Liffey. scotindublin was on St Laurence's Road and gave me a shout. 10 miles in the bag, all fairly straightforward. I had to work through the hill, but kept the effort even up to Ballyfermot, and again at the end of mile 11 entering Inchicore. On the narrow Inchicore Road, apart from having to dodge around an old lady walking her dog, it was easy coming to Kilmainham. Lots more support here to help with the short but steep climb to SCR. Nothing much of interest between there and Dolphin's Barn, where the roars of the large crowd were in stark contrast to most of what was immediately before us.

Miles 14-16

Over the Grand Canal, and for the first time I felt like I had to start digging in for more than a minute or two. Through halfway in 1:46:46, 8:01 min/mi.

Crumlin Road is awful to run along. It's long, straight and boring. As usual, the wind was against us, and the support was, for the most part, relatively sparse. So it was a case of get the head down and the legs moving. I found the broken white lines in the middle of the road, and just focussed on those until we were moved into the right hand side of the road at Our Lady's Hospital. On Drimnagh Road, I spotted an old friend from home up ahead, and eventually passed him on the drag up through Walkinstown. Swinging left at the roundabout, we were in another quiet zone on Cromwellsfort Road. Not much support, and no chat among the marathoners ; virtually the only thing you could hear was the sound of runners pounding the road. However, I had gained a bit on the pacers. They were maybe 200-250 metres in the distance. Having got through the horror stretch from Dolphin's Barn to Walkinstown roundabout, I was thinking I was right in the game. The strategy was being executed to perfection.

Mile 17

Keith Hunt: Does the word Titanic mean anything to you?
    Alan Partridge: Oh yeah, people go on about Titanic, Titanic... Let me tell you something about the Titanic, people forget, people forget that on the Titanic's maiden voyage there were over 1000 miles of uneventful, very pleasurable cruising before it hit the iceberg!

(Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge)

Cruising down towards KCR, a little over 10 miles to go. Legs felt great considering I'd run 16 miles of a marathon. I knew I'd have to scrap, but at the same time, it was on! And then BOOM! I suddenly start to feel a bit of dizziness. Alarm bells going off. No warning. Luckily, there were toilets just before KCR, so I ducked into one for a minute. Which became 2-3 minutes. I think. I was seeing spots in front of my eyes while in the portaloo, and I could feel my legs starting to go. Even so, I decided to get back out, and see if I could work my way back into it, starting at a much slower pace. Disaster. I could feel myself rapidly losing power, with people I thought I'd left behind an hour or more before now sailing by, while I was completely unable to offer any resistance. This wasn't going to work. No chance. I had no idea where the next medical station was, as I shuffled along Fortfield Road. I was convinced I'd have to get all the way down to Terenure village - another mile and a half further on, give or take. Mercifully, passing Greenlea Road I saw a medical van and stepped off.

They did the basic checks, while wrapping me up in a space blanket. HR was fine, oxygen levels great. Nothing like after the R'N'R. Anyway, I was gutted, sitting there feeling like I'd completely failed. It seemed like an eternity before me and a few others were given a lift back to Merrion Square in a medical car.

Of course, while all this was going on, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to collect my stuff from my clubmate's workplace. Surely by now everyone else would have been long since finished, and either gone for a pint or gone home? My phone was in my bag, and I didn't know anyone's number. To my great relief, my clubmate was still waiting there when I got back! A shower later, and it was time to head to McGrattans, while I updated those who were worried about me disappearing off the tracker.

Aftermath

As it turned out, the first friendly face I spotted in McGrattans was that of annapr, who also had a DNF, so at least we were able to console each other! RedRunner came in shortly afterwards, beaming from ear to ear, and who could blame him, after all his injury worries. From there, I made my way around and found some very happy DCM 2017 Graduates. Spending time in their company was a joy, on a very special day for them, and for me as their mentor. I'll have to wear the t-shirt when I get back out and about. Love it :D

Others I met in McGrattans included a delighted Singer, KennyG (for the first time, finally!) a suitably chuffed Murph_D, FBOT (who of course I never did pass in the end) as well as AGYR and (also for the first time) aero2k.

Future Plans

Well that's it. I didn't achieve immortality. Neither did the 2017 Lions.

(Un)fortunately, I've no intention of tackling Clonakilty or the Curragh :pac:
    In less than six months time, I'll have completed my degree, and there are two assignments due in mid-November. That will be my main focus until late April. I'm even going to miss the Raheny 5 for the first time in six years, as it clashes directly with a college seminar.

As running goes, I'll just be keeping myself ticking over in the interim. No races to train for as such, just get out and run them really. The BHAA Irish Life XC on November 18 in Santry will probably be my next race. Jingle Bells is also high up on the list, as I hope to improve my 5k PB before the end of the year.

Other than that, I plan to have covered all the Dublin parkruns (three outstanding) before end 2017, and I'm aiming to give the Dublin and Leinster Masters XC races another crack in January. Marathons wise, I haven't been put off trying more, although in the second half of 2018 I want to concentrate on shorter distances. In practice, this will probably mean a load of HMs :D Connemarathon 2019, if all goes to plan, will be the next marathon I train for.

As always, thanks for reading. Go dtí an chéad uair eile, slán go fóill.
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hard luck again, J. I hadn't realised you'd gotten all the way to 17 miles, so that's even harder to take than an early exit. Very odd. But you're in one piece and will have plenty of opportunities to put this behind you. Disappointed for you all the same. You've had quite an up and down year, really, but yes, plenty of stories to tell the grandkids. :) Onwards. Well done with the mentorship, you've kept up an excellent tradition there. #applause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Agh, you must only have been metres away from us when you pulled the plug, not that I could have done much to help. Was really sorry to hear your misfortune J. It's just not fair :( Hope you're on the mend now, mind yourself and see you at jingle bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well what can I say, you made it further than me! :(

Very hard luck, but here's to a great day at Jingle Bells :). See you there, or at some random parkrun... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Sorry to hear about Sunday J you were looking very comfortable when I saw you; the marathon can be a cruel mistress. Hopefully you will be back in action soon.

I hope you will make Jingle Bells; stewarding duty for me this year.....a great shot at a PB after your block of training and on a favourable course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Very sorry that it wasn't your day WW and hope you feel better soon.

You got a lot of people over the line of their 1st marathon last Sunday, so for what it's worth you are forever immortal to me and all the rest of the novices graduates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Just read your report J and had heard the news at post race HQ. That was a fair wallop and left you with no choice but to look after yourself. Love the quote and appropriateness of it. I will bank that one. Only this is not your last voyage. You are far from the bottom of the ocean, no matter how you felt last Sunday evening :).
    Going to steal your Parkrun visit project and get started with that immediately. See ya out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Glad to hear you're okay as I am sure that gave you a bit of scare at the time. You did very well this year with the novice group and with a busy life, credit to you for taking on the race as well on top of all that. Just very unfortunate with how it played out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to hear about your race J. You dropped off right near where I was stewarding. By the way the next medical tent after that would not have been Terenure village it would have been at mile 19.

Anyway,the training cycle is not wasted and you'll come back stronger than ever.

I don't know what happened in DCM this year, seemed like there was a load of DNF's, more than usual.

Recover well.

I'm feeling much better now, and ready to give this one a shot. Certainly, if I follow half the advice I gave to the Novices across the way, I should be more than capable of getting the job done.

It's my third marathon, so that's something I should be able to use to my advantage (compared to first timers), to know the right spots to push, and know when to ease off if something isn't working. It's going to be sore, that I do know. If it's not, I'm not doing it right, with a fail being the likely outcome.

Thanks everyone, eating all around me ever since :pac:

Like I say, the brilliant performances of the Novices Graduates helped soften the blow on the day, and since, as we heard of more and more happy endings. Apparently it was one of the best outcomes from any Novices thread! We'd a few first timers from the parkrun too, who also performed very well.

The above is an extract from one of my posts a few pages back. At least I made some use of my experience from the previous two marathons. Had it been my first time, I might have been a lot more reluctant to give it up. Who knows how that may have turned out?

Since Sunday, I barely ran a yard until shuffling up to Porterstown parkrun this morning. Fast start until I realised John Todd was behind me, so I let him off and didn't bother chasing anyone who passed, although there was a chap chasing me for more or less the whole thing who I managed to keep behind me. 21:26, if anyone's asking. I enjoyed it, although I had to laugh at the fact that I averaged under 7:00 minute miles over 5k for the first time since July :D

I've signed up for Jingle Bells. That'll be my shot at improving that particular PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

WW, I'm only doing a catch up on logs now and I'm really sorry to hear you suffered so much in DCM. I'd a bad day there myself, haven't been able to write it up yet but I think I'm finally in a state of mind that I can write about it and get it out of my system.

A brave and wise call to get yourself seen to. Saw too many people lying on the ground getting assistance during and after the marathon.

You did a great job with the Novices thread, something to be very proud off and when you get that sub-3:30, it'll be all the more sweeter :)

Thanks Neady, very kind of you! I only discovered on reading your post here that you had troubles of your own on the day. Hope you've recovered fully! I didn't need to be one of those lads lying on the road in a heap. It goes back to the very first post on the Novices thread..."if something doesn't feel right, stop your run"

I had a great time working on the Novices thread, something I never ever imagined myself getting into! As regards the sub 3:30, all things being equal, by the time I'm marathoning again, I would hope to be in a position where I'm targeting something a lot better. That's a long way off regardless, however belatedly going sub 3:30 will be sweet, no doubt!

Not a whole lot else to report here lately I'm afraid! Joys of working and being a part time student with assignments on the go. Interestingly enough, I just discovered that I no longer hold the dubious "record" of Dublin's slowest parkrun first place time. A Raheny Shamrocks lady recently claimed that honour in Darndale. Well done her :D

More news if and when I get back on the road or in the XC muck :)

Sat 18/11 - BHAA Irish Life XC

After a frantic couple of weeks trying to get college assignments completed and submitted on time, some respite was badly needed. This one had been on my radar for a while, so after picking up some shiny new XC runners after work on Friday, it was time for a trip to Morton Stadium.

Having heeded the advance warnings about limited parking, I made it my business to get there a whole 2 hours in advance. And no, I wasn't the first one there :D

I hadn't run a XC race since February, or any BHAA race since June, so it was time to change all of that, without a doubt. Having got in a couple of laps of the track with a clubmate, I linked up with some of our extended work crew for a lap of the course. There were a few very sticky spots, made worse by Friday night's rain and the Dublin Seniors having taken place there 2 weeks ago. Four laps would be more than enough for me today. Had a quick chat with adrian522 as well as doughef, before heading to the start.

Laps 1 & 2

No pressure to do anything today really, so as the congested field took off, I kept it slow on the start/finish straight, through a very tight chicane through the trees and downhill to a tight and slippy left hander. Slow drag from here for the next quarter mile, and then a very heavy section where the course falls off to the right. A good few got caught here, but I stayed out of trouble and passed my clubmate along the straight beside the wall. A school classmate was now in my sights, and I caught up to him at the end of the first lap. I thought I was pulling away in the second lap, but he seemed to increase his effort, and also I knew my clubmate was still in close proximity, as he was getting a good few shouts on the way around. Coming down the start/finish straight, I looked over at the clock, which was showing 13:45 with 2 laps to go. Bit fast today, perhaps?

Laps 3 & 4

With this in mind, I eased off a bit, and the classmate started slowly pulling away. Clubmate caught me as well, somewhere over the far side. A couple of others passed me too, and then the winner lapped me just before I turned onto the start/finish straight to complete Lap 3. Improvement needed for the last lap! I caught two Bristol Myers Squibb lads, as well as a Cru girl and a couple of other runners, early in Lap 4. The clubmate was still in sight, and he was catching a work colleague, who had been struggling for a while and kept looking behind him. As we emerged from the twisty section about half way through the lap, I thought I might make up the ground. My legs were definitely feeling it though, and there wasn't as much zip there as I hoped. With the clock approaching 27, I got a shout from the announcer, and charged for the line. Not sure yet what time I got, as the results aren't out as I type. PB for 6k is 27:03, set in the Leinster Masters this year, so if I beat that, an unexpected bonus to say the least :D

After a cooldown lap and a shower, I made my way upstairs to the packed Clonliffe bar for coffee and biscuits. Thanks to Adrian for making sure there were some left for the slower lads :pac: A very enjoyable morning's work.

Sun 19/11 - Club run, Phoenix Park

In spite of the race, and a bottle of wine on board from last night, I made my way to Castleknock Gate for an 8 AM start. I hadn't been out with the club at all since DCM, so it was good to catch up, although the faster than usual downhill start had me gasping at times. It wasn't until we got to Wellington Road that I got my bearings, and then decided to push clear of the others heading up the Khyber.

Having kept ahead, I waited at the top, but was then finding the remainder of the stint tough going again, and was close to dropping out the back once or twice. I had entertained the mad idea of heading out again with the 8:45 group, but common sense prevailed, so once I'd done a few stretches and said hello to the new arrivals, I headed for the car and drove home.

Splits: 8:01/7:34/7:24/7:40/7:24/8:14 (.2)

Since I can't run Raheny next year, I'm seriously considering giving the Trim 10 mile a go the following week. My 10 mile PB is very poor, especially compared to my 5 mile one (74 vs. 34). So I'm thinking even a half fit me might have a chance of taking it out in Trim. We shall see! Thanks for reading. J.

Mon 20/11 - 3.5 miles @9:03/mi

Back to the Carpenterstown loop, which will be one of my regular winter staples for the next few months.

Tue 21/11 - Rest

College tonight, with a full day Saturday and a Sunday morning also on the agenda for this week.

Just to update on BHAA matters. It has since transpired that I managed to PB in Ososlo Park after all, with a time of 27:00. We also got a team prize, with me leading out our Class C winners. We don't always have two teams out, so especially with the overall field being quite strong, I was delighted with this too. Best of all though, we have been confirmed as the 2016/2017 Winter League Champions! Get in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Good for you J, congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done WW, great achievement that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done. I wouldn't be too concerned over times in Cross Country though. I tend to look at finishing position more so. Last year in that race I finished 124 out of 198 finishers. This year I was 85th out of 195 so that is a fairly good sign of progress even though it was only a 30 second improvement, I think in general the course was slower this year than last year.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done. I wouldn't be too concerned over times in Cross Country though. I tend to look at finishing position more so. Last year in that race I finished 124 out of 198 finishers. This year I was 85th out of 195 so that is a fairly good sign of progress even though it was only a 30 second improvement, I think in general the course was slower this year than last year.

Agreed about this, but it was kind of nice to pick up all the same. I've only ever run 6k in XC, never on the road. A big group from the club ran the Navan 6k in May, but I couldn't go.

106/195 for me this time; I hadn't run that one before, but I definitely ran a lot better in the Garda XC race in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Congratulations J that is fantastic :)

Great stuff J!

Not one of the more memorable running weeks this time I'm afraid.

Wed 22/11 - 4.6 miles @ 9:01/mi

Slow run in very wet conditions, wearing a rain jacket. It felt more like 14.6, especially having to work my way through heavy human traffic leaving the train station with a mile or so left.

Thu 23/11 - 5.4 miles @ 8:22/mi

Carpenterstown loops again. I sped up a bit just to get them over with.

Fri 24/11 - Rest

Sat 25/11 - 2.4 miles @ 8:49/mi

Having slept in a bit longer than planned, I had a very short window to get a run in before heading to college for the day. This was four laps of Tír na nÓg on a very cold morning, with the raw wind in my face on the straight side of the triangle. Home about 5:15, and then shower, change, and on to Croke Park for my GAA club's Centenary Ball, and all the mirth and merriment that went with it. Looking good too, if I say so myself :D

Sun 26/11 - Rest

Back in college again this morning, for a half day stint. At one stage I thought I might get a run in today, but life stuff has meant something had to give.

Next week it's Jingle Bells. Following which, I'll decide what other races I'm going to run this year. Thanks for reading! J.

Hopefully catch you at JB next weekend J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

and on to Croke Park for my GAA club's Centenary Ball, and all the mirth and merriment that went with it. Looking good too, if I say so myself :D
    Not a bad guest yous had either! A legend ;)

• Advertisement

Mon 27/11 - 2.9 miles @8:24/mi

Officially this was a day off work. Unofficially I'd a million and one other things to do, so it felt like anything but. Some time in the late morning I got up to Porterstown. Awful. Don't know if it was the effects of the weekend lingering, or just general tiredness, but I felt like I was dragging a bag of cement around.

Tue 28/11 - Rest (work/college)

Wed 29/11 - Nothing. Too busy with more non running related matters when I got home.

Thu 30/11 - 3.6 miles @ 8:08/mi

I very nearly didn't do this either. I got home from work, switched on the heating, and turned on last night's recording of Match Of The Day. So when that was finished, I was very comfortable in my own little world, and thinking what's the point even bothering going out, to run boring loops on a cold night? Eventually I got the runners on and headed out. Even then, I took a phone call, and then bumped into a friend and had a quick chat, before I'd even gone a mile. Back running just in time for the crowds walking home off the train. I was going to turn in after one lap, and then I met a group of Porterstown Panthers in far better form than I was! That gave me enough motivation to do a second lap.

I'm actually racing this week. You would hardly tell from reading the above. I feel a bit worn out mentally, and these winter runs are seeming more like chores which I have to shoehorn in somewhere.

Maybe I'll surprise myself and PB on Saturday against the odds. Hope to see some of you there :)

Advertisement