Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipp off track?

Options
2»

Comments

You would need to divert around Gleeson Quarries, Laffansbridge, as it's built across the old rail line for quite a bit.

You would need to divert around Gleeson Quarries, Laffansbridge, as it's built across the old rail line for quite a bit.

Fair to say between private dwellings, the Fethard flyover and the quarry that using 100% of this old line as Waterford more or less did, will be highly unfeasible. But there is land that can be diverted around as you rightly suggest. Bord na Mona peat bogs are in the vicinity and with the impending closure of the peat production plant there may be an opportunity to utilise some of the land.

Fair to say between private dwellings, the Fethard flyover and the quarry that using 100% of this old line as Waterford more or less did, will be highly unfeasible. But there is land that can be diverted around as you rightly suggest. Bord na Mona peat bogs are in the vicinity and with the impending closure of the peat production plant there may be an opportunity to utilise some of the land.

The section I'm thinking of isn't that near the bog. It seems to be private farmland behind Gleesons. I think the railway used work the quarry before Gleesons bought it.

There is another section where the line crosses the road, along by the back road from Fethard to Clonmel, past Grove Road. There is still part of the old rail line there. I think this is where some group, possibly the IRA blew up the rail line and derailed a train back over 100 years ago. If I can dig out a link to this, I'll post it.

It would be an interesting project for some group to travel and photograph the route.

The section I'm thinking of isn't that near the bog. It seems to be private farmland behind Gleesons. I think the railway used work the quarry before Gleesons bought it.

There is another section where the line crosses the road, along by the back road from Fethard to Clonmel, past Grove Road. There is still part of the old rail line there. I think this is where some group, possibly the IRA blew up the rail line and derailed a train back over 100 years ago. If I can dig out a link to this, I'll post it.

It would be an interesting project for some group to travel and photograph the route.

Id love to do it but i cant help thinking there is quite a few dead ends along the route. Id imagine the council will get engineers to assess the whole area.

Your knowledge and expertise would be very much appreciated. I'm hoping to assemble a group and committee to meet and discuss the potential.

The Facebook page is absolutely hopping with activity tonight. There is real appetite for this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Great to see all the positivity around this.
    Hopefully get momentum behind it.

Yes there is issues to overcome (as there was in Waterford and elsewhere, (was there an effective rebuilding of a viaduct?) ) but lets not talk up the negatives at this stage, the survey will show what it shows and then a comparison can be made with other greenways then and operationally what had to be done.

There is a huge amount of positives to this and lets highlight those and get this project on the agenda.

• Advertisement

macjohn wrote: »
    Great to see all the positivity around this.
    Hopefully get momentum behind it.

Yes there is issues to overcome (as there was in Waterford and elsewhere, (was there an effective rebuilding of a viaduct?) ) but lets not talk up the negatives at this stage, the survey will show what it shows and then a comparison can be made with other greenways then and operationally what had to be done.

There is a huge amount of positives to this and lets highlight those and get this project on the agenda.

Exactly. The problem or need here is to join the two towns via a greenway and it isnt merely to use the old railway as a greenway. I suppose one solution is to utilise old railways where possible but lets not latch too much on to that solution and look at every aspect.
    The main thing is there is an appetite for this amenity. 108 likes on facebook this evening alone. This will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Glanced at an article this morning in local limerick paper about a big Southern greenway getting the go ahead. I must find it when I get back from work and share the link. It may be of intrest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Glanced at an article this morning in local limerick paper about a big Southern greenway getting the go ahead. I must find it when I get back from work and share the link. It may be of intrest

Good stuff.

A separate thread has been created to discuss the Greenway here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057747241&page=2

Your link might be better suited there - looking forward to reading it.

Advertisement