Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Confessions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

When I play online MP games, I'm a serial try hard, and I get ridiculously angry at myself when I suck at a game or am having a bad game.

Just yesterday I returned to BF4 after about half a year away from it and when I saw one of my friends doing well, I just had to beat them. Sad, yes. Ridiculous, completely, but it's what I have to live with.

My other confession is that I too hate horror games, scarred for life by the dogs in Resident Evil when I was younger. I tried my hand at outlast. I had to switch it off after getting nervous sweats.

And finally, I really hate the Fallout series and I'm not even sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Open world sandbox games have spoiled me. I can't hack scripted, linear, single player games any more.

I'd much rather just arse around in Red Dead Redemption or GTA Online multiplayer with my friends (even though the online portion of the former is broken).

I quit The Last of Us after 45 minutes because I was bored to tears. And I think that Far Cry is tedious and dull. Uncharted 4 didn't even do it for me. The only game I have completed in recent years is Tomb Raider.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't like modern open world sandbox games. Sandbox games are at their best when they let you loose in the world to be creative or cause mayhem. The likes of GTA3 and Minecraft excel at this. Modern open world games are too concerned with trying to tell a story. You do a mission and it locks down the world and it becomes scripted completely missing out of everything that makes open world games unique. Try to stray off the path and take another approach to a mission that the designers didn't intend and you get punished. The nature of open worlds means that when you try to do a linear mission in one it feels like a crappy version of a more polished linear game.

The world needs more games like Crackdown :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

doubledown wrote: »
    Open world sandbox games have spoiled me. I can't hack scripted, linear, single player games any more.

I'd much rather just arse around in Red Dead Redemption or GTA Online multiplayer with my friends (even though the online portion of the former is broken).

I quit The Last of Us after 45 minutes because I was bored to tears. And I think that Far Cry is tedious and dull. Uncharted 4 didn't even do it for me. The only game I have completed in recent years is Tomb Raider.

Thats funny Id be the total opposite. Games like GTA/RDR/Fallout just bore me to tears. Go here do that, now go back there do that. The Witcher is the only open world game Ive loved recently

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

64% of my steam library has never been played.
    Another ~26% was only ever played with idlemaster, so never really played.
    Of the 35 or so games I have played with more than 12 hours, I have completed less than a third. Most of the rest are sitting somewhere around the 70-90% completed mark. I then move onto something else....
    I tend to stay away from multiplayer games including co-op as I am not particularly fond of people.
    I have never played:
    Metal Gear
    Zelda
    Final Fantasy
    Resident Evil [Albeit I am waiting for a sale of the first ones remastered].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

I bought a Sega Dreamcast on launch day.

I got my only platinum trophy on Resistance 2 (includes 10k kills online)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Caillte wrote: »
    I bought a Sega Dreamcast on launch day.

I got my only platinum trophy on Resistance 2 (includes 10k kills online)

I loved resistance 2 (PS3) had something like 200 online kills left for the platinum then something came out (probably a COD) and I forgot all about it. Good fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

-I've recently come to realize that Life is Strange and the Telltale games completely ****ed up story driven games for me. Sure they had their flaws but i find it really hard to get enthused about other narrative driven games now because the stories are either boring, trite or just plain bad by comparison. I'll either skip cutscenes in a lot of stuff or just straight up abandon the game entirely now if the story doesn't grip me.

Can't play JRPGs any more because they are the worst offenders for this. I was excited about both FF15 and Persona 5 until i watched some gameplay and internally cringed a whole bunch. Now i have no interest in them because once you strip away the awful story all you have is the usual JRPG stuff of grinding, **** cutscenes, tedious dungeons and 30+ hours of sidequests/secret stuff i'll never bother with. Done it all before and i don't want to waste another 80 hours on autopilot, bored out of my skull pretending to enjoy it.

-None of the bigger new games that have recently come out or will soon be out seem even vaguely appealing to me. Watchdogs 2 is yet another open world game, Dishonored 2 is yet another stealth game, Titanfall 2/BF1/New CoD are all just more multiplayer shooters that will be dead within a year (and Overwatch is my drug of choice here with no end in sight :P) and Gears 4 is somehow a thing that exists.

I just can't bring myself to give a **** about these games and i know i'd last about an hour with each before i gave up on them. I used to buy every single big release on every platform, some Fridays i would go out and come home with 4 or 5 new games.

-Another poster said he doesn't even really like games any more. I kind of feel the same way. I can only really play 'endless' games like FF14, Civ, Dark Souls, Overwatch, sports games or VR stuff like Rez and Thumper now. Everything else seems like a retread of something i've played literally dozens of times already, which is ironic when i'm mostly playing games with a lot of repetition.

I compare it to going to the cinema once or twice a week and only going to see action movies. Who would do that?

-I tried playing Super Mario 3D World earlier this morning as it has been sitting collecting dust for a few months on my shelf and i quit after a couple of levels. There's nothing wrong with it but i just don't care about it at all and i hate to see that Nintendo games have been infected with the "bunch of secret stuff/collectibles" in each level. I just want to be able to play a game without feeling like i'm missing out by not having collected all 5 Golden Widgets hidden in every level or whatever.

Who decided that was fun and worth putting in every ****ing game?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

- I loved the Sonic Adventure games
    - I used to rent Spiceworld for the PS1 a lot because I found nowhere to buy it
    - I rekt at Mario Kart 64 but sucked at Goldeneye. We had 3 N64 controllers and a steering wheel. So whenever 4 friends came over one person would be assigned the steering wheel at Goldeneye :pac: We drew straws but I always cheated (they were my straws after all) to ensure I didnt get the wheel for Goldeneye

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

lawlolawl wrote: »
    ... i find it really hard to get enthused about other narrative driven games now because the stories are either boring, trite or just plain bad by comparison. I'll either skip cutscenes in a lot of stuff or just straight up abandon the game entirely now if the story doesn't grip me.

-Another poster said he doesn't even really like games any more. I kind of feel the same way. I can only really play 'endless' games like FF14, Civ, Dark Souls, Overwatch, sports games or VR stuff like Rez and Thumper now.

These parts pretty much sum it up for me. It's like I have a hankering for something with more depth but nothing is succeeding in scratching that itch because plot, character, narrative and mechanics are all just hyper derivatives of paths I've trod before but with a new lick of paint.

I keep buying things and imagining myself being absorbed but instead finding myself having deja vu. And the outcome is paradoxically exactly what you described; I revert to just putting my time into the likes of BF1, Overwatch, Kerbal Space Program or Prison Architect. Games with no plot or narrative that I guess I find compelling purely because they're fun or challenging in the right kind of way to keep me engaged, but they're not filling that other void.

I think what I want is a game that has me absorbed in the way a good book would. The way Final Fantasy VII or Half Life 1 made me feel back in the day, but nothing is being created that can do it.

I think the most recent things that have succeeded for me in this regard were the Mass Effect series and, for a fleeting couple of hours, Gone Home. Oh and weirdly, To The Moon.

• Advertisement

Gone Home.

I love walking simulators and this is probably my favourite one.

Once again, that genre is far from perfect but the care and attention that goes into a lot of the stories and locations in the likes of Gone Home, Dear Esther and Everybodys Gone to the Rapture will entertain me more in 2 or 3 hours than Deadly Serious Grimdark Shooter 4, The Totally Adult Medieval Quest For Stronger Gear or Desu Desu Save The World RPG Extend: Hyper Love Edition 2.7 ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

lawlolawl wrote: »
    ...The Totally Adult Medieval Quest For Stronger Gear or Desu Desu Save The World RPG Extend: Hyper Love Edition 2.7 ever will.

Made me laugh :D

Oh, i actually have a gaming confession that my rant reminded me about:

I really didn't see what the fuss was about the Witcher 3. It was considered the best game of 2015 by most people but i thought it was just about the most generic CRPG ever with an added layer of Ubisoft-style "here's a bunch of icons on the map for 20+ hours of boring sidequests". There was nothing remarkable about it in the slightest and the combat was fairly terrible to boot.

It was no better or worse than Dragon Age: Inquisition (came out the same year) and the only real difference was the Witcher 3 had some stuff in it that a 15 year old fantasy book fan would find edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm actually contemplating giving up on TLOU because the gameplay is so horrible.

"Stealth focused so far? Enjoy a bunch of scripted combat sequences back to back, except it's not combat, it's bashing square until things die"

It's like how Deus Ex HR was except without the cool stuff, or any sort of strategy to passing sections.

- I loved the Sonic Adventure games
    - I used to rent Spiceworld for the PS1 a lot because I found nowhere to buy it
    - I rekt at Mario Kart 64 but sucked at Goldeneye. We had 3 N64 controllers and a steering wheel. So whenever 4 friends came over one person would be assigned the steering wheel at Goldeneye :pac: We drew straws but I always cheated (they were my straws after all) to ensure I didnt get the wheel for Goldeneye

Did you not enforce the age-old "its my house" rules to exempt you from the straws altogether?

I traded in GTA V for CoD Ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Did you not enforce the age-old "its my house" rules to exempt you from the straws altogether?

The illusion of democracy, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I never played golden eye or star fox or metroid.... most nintendo stuff, actually i never owned a nintendo device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I have 831 trophies on my PSN account, 0 of which are platinums.
    I have nearly 21,000 GS on xbox, but that would be closer to 40k if all the gaming I done on modded 360's had tallied too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

I rarely, if ever, engage with a game's story and couldn't tell you what Half-Life 2, Bioshock or Gears of War were about - and that's despite counting those among my all-time favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

gimli2112 wrote: »
    In fairness you're going to get wrecked trying to play a Battlefield game solo, unless you're a decent player to begin with. Coupled with the fact buying a game that's been played religiously by people for 2.5 years you really need to know what you are letting yourself in for.

My confession is when I started playing FPSs online and using every cheap tactic available. I was the guy camping in a room surrounded by claymores with scavenger equipped in MW2, that everyone hated.

I used to play Support in BF2142 and I'd lie down behind a pop-up shield in a corridor on a Titan with deploy-able Turret in front of me and an Ammo crate beside me. :o Since Support had the heavy machine gun I could destroy anyone coming through the corridor. Surprisingly I only got kicked from a server once...

I was going to say I've never played a FF game or something like that for my confession, but I'll be really honest - I have almost 2000 hours put into Skyrim. :eek:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is on this month's PlayStation Plus, just in case people didn't want to fork out the money for it.

Another confession - I find 99% of the games on the 3DS to be far too kiddyish. It is an excellent device, but so much of it settles around the gimmicky nature of the device, on kiddy games, with maybe only a small handful actually utilizing what it does properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Boardgames > videogames

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Boardgames > videogames

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've been playing games since the Commodore 64 era and I've only just realised what the 4x in 4x games stands for. Rather than eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate I thought they were called 4x because they were games in which you could double and mulitply by 4 (x4) the passage on in-game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've been playing games since the Commodore 64 era and I've only just realised what the 4x in 4x games stands for. Rather than eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate I thought they were called 4x because they were games in which you could double and mulitply by 4 (x4) the passage on in-game time.

I did'nt even know what a 4x game is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Funnily, I knew what the 4X's meant after hearing TB talk about them before, but I don't know what actual games they refer to :pac:

In my mind I think C&C, Civ and the like, but not certain, so apologies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Civ is the ultimate example of a 4X game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Legend Of Dragoon IMO is a masterpiece and I can't understand why a certain someone hates it :eek: and hope a sequel is in the works.

:pac:

I find the Civ games boring, even though I played civ 4 and 5 .

I'm rubbish at top down rpg game's e.g Baldur's gate.

• Advertisement

Legend Of Dragoon IMO is a masterpiece and I can't understand why a certain someone hates it :eek: and hope a sequel is in the works.

:pac:

There's trolling... and then there's criminal trolling.

Advertisement