Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Confessions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah after about 6 months after release, there's almost no point even trying to play an online game (especially FPS games) because by that point the people still playing it know every little trick, skill, map exploit etc, have all the perfect gear and pretty much know where people are going to be.

Reason I gave up on FPS years ago, it's all about map familairisation

This is a genuine gaming confession and something that does bother me. I'm always addicted to one online game.

I wish I could spend more time playing single player games where I feel like I'd actually accomplish something. I love The Witcher 3 and have yet to finish it yet I'm currently addicted to Overwatch. I don't fully understand what makes me constantly coming back for another fix. I think I get a high off being completely in the moment. I am trying my hardest to compete for a fixed period of time. My mind has no time to think while I'm engorged in it. I think that's what I crave. It is the ultimate escapism. I feel a sense of guilt for wasting so much time on these kind of games over the years; Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Overwatch. They feel like busy-work, just passing the time where I could be spending my time more productively. I could be exploring more avenues of this art form we all adore. What more can I possibly discover in Overwatch? It's like I'm comfort watching reruns of the Kardashians rather than finally finished The Wire.

I really hate these 2 hour Walking Simulators that are being sold at €20 or more. Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, & others of that ilk.

€20+? 20-f*ckin'-euro or more? For that? F*ck off with that noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Takes me roughly 30mins to down a pint at say €5.

Therefore, 4 pints in 2hrs costing €20.

4 pints vs 1 game

Your choice.

Plus I think those games take about 4hrs to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I really hate these 2 hour Walking Simulators that are being sold at €20 or more. Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, & others of that ilk.

The only two-hour walking simulator of note which has that kind of price tag is Gone Home. The other two you've listed offer at least twice the amount of playtime and feature considerably higher production values than the former. Out of curiosity, have you played them?

On a related note, the twitching I described earlier also occurs when people use the term Walking Simulator in a reductive manner. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

I made the mistake of playing Deep Space when I was babysitting as a teenager. I nearly shat my pants.

Dead Space?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

gizmo wrote: »
    The only two-hour walking simulator of note which has that kind of price tag is Gone Home. The other two you've listed offer at least twice the amount of playtime and feature considerably higher production values than the former. Out of curiosity, have you played them?

On a related note, the twitching I described earlier also occurs when people use the term Walking Simulator in a reductive manner. :pac:

I am currently playing Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and i think its one of them most atmospheric games ive played in a long time..not the supernatural element so much,but the mundanity and pettiness of small village life.. the Voice acting is superb also.. and it was Free too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's art dude.

Or some such bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

OldGoat wrote: »
    Online gaming - I just don't get it. I try again and again but it's about chatting with strangers rather than playing the game and then getting wrecked by some 10 year old kid with the dexterity of a god. I simply prefer (rapidly disappearing) solo games.

(Apologies to any here I may have ignored in multiplayer while I've been off just doing my own thing)

Depends on the game, I don't play online much at all, but a large part of Dark Souls charm for me is being able to co-op with other players. I imagine Destiny is similar, it's just not as fun without other players. And Rocket League, even if you only play non-competitive is a lot better than just playing bots all day.

Online FPS are a no go for me in most cases though

gizmo wrote: »

Yes.

And they were all Walking Simulators that weren't worth the asking amount. I got those copies and sale and the amount I paid was still too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yes.

And they were all Walking Simulators that weren't worth the asking amount. I got those copies and sale and the amount I paid was still too much.
    Hmm, out of interest, did you finish them? I can totally see the argument against the more art-focused entries in the genre by the way but I would have thought those two particular games, along with Firewatch, would have been able to avoid being lumped into that category.

Oh, another one...

There's only a small subset of co-op orientated games I enjoy. For instance, I've played both Borderlands games solo and loved them. I loved exploring different areas, finding and completing random quests and enjoying the spoils both earned and discovered along the way. The idea of waiting around on someone else while doing the above or worse, poaching the stuff we find, is ****ing abhorrent to me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

I once spent €15 in a mobile game . . . . the My little pony mobile game!!! :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

I once spent €15 in a mobile game . . . . the My little pony mobile game!!! :-/

Oh god that made be think of another...

I needed to reach a vent in the latest Deus Ex game to progress a side quest, but didn't have the right skill set and no alternatives to cheese my way up.

Rather than lose an hour or two of progress i said f*ck it an paid about a fiver for a box of praxis kits which are the upgrade currency of the game.

I didn't get any notification that the purchase came through so i thought it failed. I tried again, nothing. I tried three more times and gave up.

Turns up the praxis kits went to "holding" area in my inventory and i just spend an extra 25 quid to get into a vent on a game i didn't really like.

Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I have a couple of dozen games in my Steam library that I've never launched, another couple of dozen that I've only played once, the rest I got half way through, max. Then I have maybe half a dozen that I've put hundreds of hours into. Some of which were free. Why did I spend all that money?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I've never played a game from any of the following series:

Metal Gear
    Zelda
    Final Fantasy
    Metroid
    Resident Evil
    Mass Effect

Also I sometimes summon for bosses in Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I have a couple of dozen games in my Steam library that I've never launched, another couple of dozen that I've only played once, the rest I got half way through, max. Then I have maybe half a dozen that I've put hundreds of hours into. Some of which were free. Why did I spend all that money?

Over 1/3rd of my steam library is hidden because I think they're ****e, I'd say I've completed maybe 15% of what's left? Haven't played the majority at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

My gaming confesssion:

I haven't gamed for ages. I was half decent when Quake2 was the thing. Which seems a lifetime ago.
    Then I saw Battlefront in my brothers place, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. So I bought a PS4 but it's very different. I always was a PC and mouse player (back then). I sucked. I no longer do. The other day I saw I clocked 200+ hrs in battlefront since I got it about 6 months ago. Wtf?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've played and really enjoyed both Everyone's Gone to the Rapture and Firewatch.
    Both were more of a way to tell a story than to entertain with gameplay.
    From the perspective of being an interactive stage play they both work extremely well, both with great scripts and affecting plots and reveals, at least to me.
    I completed Rapture first and loved it, excellent cast and while the "follow the bobbing light" did feel too much like handholding, the areas were quite large and without it progression in the story might have become confusing, but the story was tragic, you could see what was coming, you are already in a post event world, and here were people still in the midst of their lives with no idea what was about to happen next.
    Firewatch was simply sublime, beautiful visuals coupled with a game engine that could have implemented anything they wanted, but in this instance kept the player guessing about conspiracies right up to the end, caught as you are in the midst of influences you've no control over, both nature and people.
    Walking Simulator is really just an insult to an attempt to use the first person perspective to tell a story outside the normal tropes of sniping and using walls as cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Over 1/3rd of my steam library is hidden because I think they're ****e, I'd say I've completed maybe 15% of what's left? Haven't played the majority at all

Same here and without fail i'll spend a couple of hundred in every big Steam sale. A couple of months later i'll stumble across the games i bought, i'llplay them for a half an hour and then realise i have no interest in them at all/they are a type of game i don't even vaguely enjoy.

I have 597 games on my Steam account right now. I have 8 installed: Kentucky Route Zero (waiting for the last episode), FF14 (love this, second most played game after Overwatch), Civ 5, Rocket League, Dark Souls 1 + 2, Dragons Dogma and Skyrim. Some other stuff goes on the list and then gets uninstalled when i'm finished with it.

I have a few things i play on PS4 as well and a couple of Wii U games but i started the year with a triple digit multi-platform backlog and realised i don't give a crap about most of the games on it so i just uninstalled/traded/whatever most of them.

My taste in games has whittled down to very few titles but i put a good bit of time into them. Doesn't stop me buying games i don't really want.

Tried playing Arkham Knight yesterday for a bit after picking it up in a recent PSN sale. Made it a couple of hours before i couldn't stand it any more and didn't care about challenge modes, unlockables, sidequests, collectibles chasing icons on a world map etc. I've done it all before and i just don't care any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've played and really enjoyed both Everyone's Gone to the Rapture and Firewatch.
    From the perspective of being an interactive stage play they both work extremely well, both with great scripts and affecting plots and reveals, at least to me.
    I completed Rapture first and loved it, excellent cast and while the "follow the bobbing light" did feel too much like handholding, the areas were quite large and without it progression in the story might have become confusing, but the story was tragic, you could see what was coming, you are already in a post event world, and here were people still in the midst of their lives with no idea what was about to happen next.
    Firewatch was simply sublime, beautiful visuals coupled with a game engine that could have implemented anything they wanted, but in this instance kept the player guessing about conspiracies right up to the end, caught as you are in the midst of influences you've no control over, both nature and people.
    Walking Simulator is really just an insult to an attempt to use the first person perspective to tell a story outside the normal tropes of sniping and using walls as cover.

instead of playing these I just watched them on youtube and saved 40 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think Sonic the Hedgehog is, far and away, the most overhyped, overrated game series ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

instead of playing these I just watched them on youtube and saved 40 quid.

You could say that about most games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have spent probably 400 euro on hearthstone and I am a 20 year vertebrae in trading card games.

I am still horrendous at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Alex Kidd on the Master System, I used to call him Alex the Kid :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    You could say that about most games.

Most games make you want to play them when you watch them. You dont get that feeling watching someone play gone home.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Other opinions are available. You see it as art. I see it all as simply a Walking Simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Penn wrote: »
    My mate bought Battlefield 4 recently and said it's been the worst experience of his gaming life because everyone in the game is an expert at everything and he dies almost as soon as he's spotted by anyone.

In fairness you're going to get wrecked trying to play a Battlefield game solo, unless you're a decent player to begin with. Coupled with the fact buying a game that's been played religiously by people for 2.5 years you really need to know what you are letting yourself in for.

My confession is when I started playing FPSs online and using every cheap tactic available. I was the guy camping in a room surrounded by claymores with scavenger equipped in MW2, that everyone hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

On xbox there was noob servers where you had to be under a certain level to play on, i think when you hit 30 you couldnt join them. I only got bf4 last year and it was easily one of my best gaming experiences to date

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

By and large, I don't actually like video games anymore.

When I was a kid I could put anything on the Atari or the SNES and it would keep me entertained for hours. Now, I find most games boring and can't be bothered to play them for more than 40 minutes. I feel like I've seen it all before. I keep buying games that I would have liked 10 years ago and then barely playing them. There are maybe 3 games a year that hold my interest now, but I keep buying more games like a heroin junkie trying to catch that first high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Advertisement