Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime for £59/first year is back.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Prime Video will be available in Ireland next month. This was announced yesterday
    Wasn't that grand tour being available globally?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amazon Announces International Rollout On Eve Of ‘The Grand Tour’ Launch

It’s been suspected for months but now it’s official: Amazon Prime is going global.
    The service is beginning its international rollout officially with The Grand Tour in December, which means viewers in more than 200 countries will be able to access the new show on its download and streaming service.

The news comes as The Grand Tour is gearing up to launch in Amazon’s current territories and was announced by presenters Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond in a YouTube video on Wednesday, in which May said: “We have received a package from Amazon, which contains my glasses and a letter which says in December, we will be launching the show globally, which means you will be able to watch The Grand Tour in over 200 countries around the world.”

The Grand Tour’s first episode, which can be downloaded or streamed on Friday, November 18, will be available to Amazon Prime subscribers in the UK, U.S., Germany, Austria and Japan in addition to five other territories before the service’s global expansion next month. It comes during a period of intense marketing for the new motoring series, which has included three synchronized car crashes in London, Berlin and Los Angeles, with badly damaged cars abandoned in the middle of the street labelled with the show’s branding. Clarkson has also been in the news again this week after a story in The Sun said Clarkson claimed he was barred from a UK-bound flight by an airport employee because of a 2014 Top Gear controversy, during which the show’s members had to flee Argentina because one of their vehicles had a numberplate that appeared to refer to the Falklands War.

In case of any doubt of Amazon’s rollout, Clarkson also tweeted the news:

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/798904438853431296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This is a huge step for Amazon, which has been quietly calculating its global outreach, and means the service will soon be available in more countries than rival Netflix, which currently operates in 190 countries around the world.

It became more apparent that Amazon was ultimately setting itself up for expansion with the company reshuffle announced last month, which saw Amazon Studios promote Head of Drama Development Morgan Wandell to a new post of Head of International Productions while Brad Beale, VP TV Content Acquisition for Prime Video, saw his role expand to include overseeing global selection of series for individual countries and licensing television content on a local and worldwide basis.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/amazon-studios-international-rollout-the-grand-tour-jeremy-clarkson-richard-hammond-roy-price-james-may-1201856175/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Amazon Announces International Rollout On Eve Of ‘The Grand Tour’ Launch

It’s been suspected for months but now it’s official: Amazon Prime is going global.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/amazon-studios-international-rollout-the-grand-tour-jeremy-clarkson-richard-hammond-roy-price-james-may-1201856175/

Really hope they decide to launch prime delivery in conjunction with streaming to Ireland, would buy it straight away

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Same. I'm not really interested in the tv stuff but if the prime delivery was offered I'd be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

That to me only says that the Grand Tour will be available globally, not the rest of the Library.

I find the prime video service fantastic and view via a VPN, which is pretty cheap in the grand scheme. I'd Barely Verify Poor Name here tho... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    That to me only says that the Grand Tour will be available globally, not the rest of the Library.

I find the prime video service fantastic and view via a VPN, which is pretty cheap in the grand scheme. I'd Barely Verify Poor Name here tho... :D

Actually I just tested it and Amazon Prime Video is now working in Ireland on all their videos without any proxy or VPN. I signed up for the Prime trial on Monday and the video was still geo blocked then.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Nope. Not for me
    still getting "This video isn't available due to geographical licensing restrictions. "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Yeah its not working for me again. They must have been doing some testing earlier.

There has always been some stuff that isn't geoblocked. For instance amazon's own shows like man in the high castle. Licensing issues are to blame for no real global service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Blocked for me :

Service Area Restriction
    This video isn't available due to geographical licensing restrictions. For more details, please refer to Amazon Video Terms of Use. For further assistance, please contact Amazon Customer Service at www.amazon.co.uk/videohelp and refer to error 4601.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Aka Ishur wrote: »

I agree with you, I think it's just Grand Tour too. I haven't seen any reference to the whole library going global. It would make no sense too, they have licencing agreements to consider, it would be astronomically expensive for them to make it happen in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Casspian

How I read the long announcement which Agent Coulson kindly pasted here earlier, is that indeed it isn't fully clear if it's the whole content of Amazon Prime that is rolled globally or just the GT show. However, would it make sense to roll out only one show globally (imagine legal footwork required in each country required - would they do it just for one show? and who would buy Amazon Prime for 79 just to watch one show?) Licenses for global content globally will be expensive of course, but amazon charges 79 for the service - if it's sufficient to pay licences for UK, it must be sufficient to pay licence for IE in my opinion (and any other market for that matter). Other news reports say about the Amazon Prime service launching globally - to me that means all content, not only Grand Tour. So I hope we'll enjoy some competition to Netflix and cable TV soon.

Casspian wrote: »
    How I read the long announcement which Agent Coulson kindly pasted here earlier, is that indeed it isn't fully clear if it's the whole content of Amazon Prime that is rolled globally or just the GT show. However, would it make sense to roll out only one show globally (imagine legal footwork required in each country required - would they do it just for one show? and who would buy Amazon Prime for 79 just to watch one show?) Licenses for global content globally will be expensive of course, but amazon charges 79 for the service - if it's sufficient to pay licences for UK, it must be sufficient to pay licence for IE in my opinion (and any other market for that matter). Other news reports say about the Amazon Prime service launching globally - to me that means all content, not only Grand Tour. So I hope we'll enjoy some competition to Netflix and cable TV soon.

They already do it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/storefront/?ie=UTF8&merchId=watchabroad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I agree with you, I think it's just Grand Tour too. I haven't seen any reference to the whole library going global. It would make no sense too, they have licencing agreements to consider, it would be astronomically expensive for them to make it happen in that regard.

They've sold the show locally to the likes of RTE. So I think that us what they meant , places that don't have prime will show it on a national channel

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Amazon did a quite no fanfare launch of prime in Canada and Australia and now it looks like they have done the same in Ireland. I signed up for prime last night , the warning that amazon video/music and landing library arent available in your country is gone and I spent last night watching videos and listening to music on prime. Im not using a VPN either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

imacman wrote: »
    Amazon did a quite no fanfare launch of prime in Canada and Australia and now it looks like they have done the same in Ireland. I signed up for prime last night , the warning that amazon video/music and landing library arent available in your country is gone and I spent last night watching videos and listening to music on prime. Im not using a VPN either

I'm still seeing it as blocked for the video.

What videos did you watch - are you sure they were not from the "Watch while abroad" section ?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

You can still get one-day free delivery to PM, with PM extra day or two to deliver to your local PM it works out quicker then local delivery, if you order a lot to PM it worth it.

If they do launch it here they should charge less given the video is all we can get anyway.

Who the heck knows what they are doing at this stage.

I'm still getting the geoblocking I was before but I watched the grand tour last night no problem (it's almost exactly the same as top gear!) despite the
    fact it was not supposed to be available until December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

adm wrote: »
    Who the heck knows what they are doing at this stage.

I'm still getting the geoblocking I was before but I watched the grand tour last night no problem (it's almost exactly the same as top gear!) despite the
    fact it was not supposed to be available until December.
    The grand tour along with all Amazon made programs such as the man in the high castle etc are available without a VPN as they are under a section called things to watch whilst abroad. Amazon own the broadcast rights for their in house productions hence they are not forced to put a geo block like they are with other shows due to rights restrictions

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    The grand tour along with all Amazon made programs such as the man in the high castle etc are available without a VPN as they are under a section called things to watch whilst abroad. Amazon own the broadcast rights for their in house productions hence they are not forced to put a geo block like they are with other shows due to rights restrictions

Hmm then why no transparent? That's their own production

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

NATLOR wrote: »
    Limited enough content

As the Netflix :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

NATLOR wrote: »
    Limited enough content

Wonder will it give shipping here!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

If i sign up for this do I also get amazon prime ? Or vice versa if i pay the full amount for amazon prime do I get the video content ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Denisoftus wrote: »
    As the Netflix :)

Much more limited than Netflix. Very small catalogue for over here. Worth the trial price for 6 months maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wonder will it give shipping here!

Its Prime Video only.

Advertisement