Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭paulos53

I haven't seen any chat recently about the Ryder Jug. Is it going ahead this year or has it been cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

paulos53 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any chat recently about the Ryder Jug. Is it going ahead this year or has it been cancelled?

All the chat has been going on in the WhatsApp group. It's supposed to be taking place tomorrow but with the storm forecast we're not sure whether it will be able to go ahead. Should know more later today and will post it up once we get confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Did it go-ahead BallyK?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

3putt wrote: »
    Did it go-ahead BallyK?

nope
    next week, same venue

3putt wrote: »
    Did it go-ahead BallyK?

In the interests of the safety of everyone involved we decided to move it to this coming Saturday. Hopefully Sky Sports will still be available to show it live! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭a post punk

Best of luck tomorrow lads , bring it home for the boardsies :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Best of luck lads.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Best of luck lads.

What a great day out in Mount Juliet today for the Ryder Jug against the REPS guys. Boards were defending champions so we knew the REPS would be gunning to take back the trophy this year. We had a couple of changes to the team due to holidays so Golfgraffix set up the live scoring for us so some members could keep track of the action from Kilkenny. The live tracking was a great addition to the day.

I was worried about bad omens when I left my bag for a minute before heading to the range and a blooming crow stole the bar of chocolate out of the bag!

I was out in the 4th match with paulos53 but we went down to defeat against two strong REPS players who closed out the match on the 15th with a birdie beating our par. Fortunately though we had 2 wins from the first 3 matches and match 5 closed out the win to give us the third point that we needed. Well done to all the winners and to REPS for very sporting matches and a bit of craic afterwards.

Thanks to technodub for booking a great course for the occasion and for all who played today, the lads who were due to play for us last week and everyone who turned up throughout the year. Fingers crossed we're all back in 2018 for another good year under a post punk's leadership and hopefully Boards will make it 3 in a row in the Jug next year. Thanks to all at Mount Juliet for hosting us today and for accommodating us by allowing us to switch the event from last week when a storm was due.

We're considering having some kind of turkey shoot in November around Dublin so let me know who might be interested in playing and a few drinks in town afterwards.

I played a round in Luttrellstown a couple of weeks ago with SeveOB as part of their Society Appreciation Day and really enjoyed it so I want to thank Peter Lawrie and all his team for a wonderful day's golf and a fantastic meal afterwards. I also played the Heritage recently as part of MyGolfSociety's day out and that was another brilliant day so thanks to Brendan and a the team at MyGolfSociety for all their help this year. They certainly made my life as Captain much easier and they're a good bunch of lads.

I'll post a few pictures from the Jug later but all I can say is woohoo! Well done to all on retaining the trophy for another year after a 3-3 result today. Hope to see some of you in November and see the rest of you in the New Year. If ay of the REPS lads wish to attend any of our outings next year ye are more than welcome also.

Yours in golf.

ballyk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Well done lads. Great way to top what looked like a good year. Well done John, relax and enjoy the trophy for 12 months. I kept it on my desk at work.

I would be up for a game in November

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Well done lads, what a year you have achieved John, congratulations.

I will be up for a game in November too

Bring on the Turkey shoot
    Well done to all who played and supported yesterday. Thanks to my chauffeur and caddy Mr roadrunner and thanks to captain Ballyk for a great year on the links and for all the organisation.

I was happy enough with my game yesterday. Honestly I only played OK as did roadrunner but we dovetailed so well together. We were 4 over on the better ball for 16 holes which was good enough. We had a couple of chances to close the match out a bit earlier but we missed a simple enough putt each. I found it hard to get the pace of the greens, they were quite slow but nice and true.

Highlight was my second shot to the index 1, after a good drive I had about 110 yards to the pin so a soft 52 for me and bang online, always looking good. Slight spin on landing and finished no more than an inch from the hole :)

So yes roll on the turkey shoot and best of luck next year to a post punk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great stuff lads - ye are class when I don't play.

Does sort of give a feel how harder it is to win back the trophy with 6 games.

Live scoring was cool.

REPS a strong team - may see ye in November or new year.

Great stuff lads - ye are class when I don't play.

Does sort of give a feel how harder it is to win back the trophy with 6 games.

Live scoring was cool.

REPS a strong team - may see ye in November or new year.

Hope so man, we missed you this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

Now the dust has settled on what was a hectic weekend for me on a personal note just like to congratulate boards on a great performance to retain (not win:P) the trophy :D After last years humbling experience it was nice to put on a good show and run it very close. Games were all played in a good spirit and as mentioned a few times I really think a 2 day event with singles on day 2 would make for a serious weekend! Also gives us time to unwind and have a few fizzy drinks and some banter... food for thought!

Big shout out to my opponents Brian & Benji who were a pleasure to play with and we had good fun on the way around. Unlucky for them me & me partner were both in top form but no doubt the matchplay experience will stand to them next year!

Big shout out to Mount Juliet as the condition of the course was absolutely unbelievable.. although slow I thought the putting surfaces were as about as good as I have seen in Ireland and in general course was in great condition.

We have our last society outing of the year in Moyvalley in on Saturday the 11th if anybody wants to come along you guys are more then welcome! Enjoy the cup John as its coming home next year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

And that's it for the 2017 thread.

New season won't be long kicking off and thread can be found here. The "Race to the Jug" has begun!!

Guys,

I know I'd said I'd arrange an outing in November but unfortunately all my weekends this month were booked up for a variety of reasons. Apologies for that. Is there any point arranging something for December given people will have Christmas parties etc?