Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm dreading Christmas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭hotmatottie10

Why not be straight up with your friends, surely if theyre friends they will understand. Tell them your strapped for cash and can we not do present swapping this year and that you much prefer a catch up with them. As for the children, get them a good old fashioned selection box.There are deals everywhere for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Hi,

I've dreaded Christmas for many years but four years I took some affirmative action.

What I did was...nothing.

I didn't send anyone a Christmas card. I didn't buy a present for anyone I know.

What happened was people in the following years who would normally send me a Christmas card stopped sending them, which is exactly what I wanted.

I don't do Christmas dinner with the family any more. I can't stomach Christmas day, being stuck in a room all day long stuffing their faces, and watching horrible corny stuff on television.

Christmas is a horrible horrible time for a lot of people, and the only thing I could do about that for myself is just to ignore it. Best thing I ever did for myself.

Now in November and December I can just ignore the s**te in the supermarkets, ignore the adverts on TV, cause I've lifted all the pressure off myself, and now I can just sit back and laugh at the nonsense that the masses get wrapped up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Xmas girl, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are a bit soft-natured. Sadly it takes an awful lot for some people like that to say no to others, or change a routine like yours. Honestly, if you were a relative of mine and said you couldn't afford a present swap because money is tight - well I'd be a very hard cow to think bad of you!

Just be honest with people about your plight. You'll be surprised how many will be relieved. Sure look what happened today, you were relieved right? Christmas is an awful financial pressure on people, to the point were I feel it's lost all meaning. Most certainly do NOT take out any loans or credit cards to pay for it, that's absurd. If you need credit for Christmas presents, then you are living outside your means. There's no need for it.

Your mum is going to have to do her own online shopping. If she sees anything else just tell her you wound up with the delivery fee and can't do that again.

You need to learn to be honest with people xmas girl. You are so afraid of offending someone you are putting yourself out of pocket, that's not right.

La.de.da wrote: »
    My sister decided a few years ago to donate a some money to charity rather than buying presents for people every year.

I think that's a really lovely gesture. No one need know the amount. Just give Christmas cards stating a donation has been made on their behalf.

Honestly op stop putting so much pressure on yourself it's not worth it. As the above poster said Christmas is about spending time with loved ones. simplify it and enjoy it.

If I want to give money to a charity I do it myself. It's nothing but self indulgence giving a person a "present" of a charitable donation. I've seen it mentioned before too for wedding presents and I think it's an terrible idea better off to give nothing (not that donating money to a charity of a persons ien choice is actually giving a present).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

If I want to give money to a charity I do it myself. It's nothing but self indulgence giving a person a "present" of a charitable donation. I've seen it mentioned before too for wedding presents and I think it's an terrible idea better off to give nothing (not that donating money to a charity of a persons ien choice is actually giving a present).

That's your opinion.

I think it's a lovely idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'll give my grandad a charity gift every now and then because I know he hates presents, but I would be a bit miffed if someone got me a gift of a charitable donation. I would be left thinking that it was an insult that the person thought I was materialistic or ungrateful to receive a gift. Maybe that sounds odd, but it really would cross my mind.

If you don't know that a gift to charity will go down well then I would consider it risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alison1212

i dont like christmas either cause my nan died last xmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Theres a great thread over on the christmas forum for making your own gifts/hampers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Why don't you just feign an illness to some of the parties etc and not go?Save cash that way.

Advertisement