Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2016

Options
  • 13-11-2016 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just a heads up that Black "Friday" is actually going to run on Amazon.co.uk over 2 weeks starting this Monday 14 Nov.

My approach to this is going to be to have the items I want registered at my preferred price with camelcamel and just let it do the work, rather than constantly refreshing the deals page... but eh.. do post deals you find to this inevitable superthread :D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Thanks OP for the heads up, your post should allow people get ready for the massive bargain alerts, I'm sure many don't know it's starting earlier than the Friday itself, maybe we can use this as a megathread (I don't see any set up yet) to exchange strategies / remind what worked well last year

My few tips which are probably obvious to most:

- join prime which allows you early access to deals & cancel after cyber Monday
    - once you put your item in the basket you have to complete order within 10 mins or so, to ensure you avail of free postage on orders > £25 have a few other items in mind which will bring your order up to £25. I've lost deals in the past because I've spent too long trying to find something I wanted which would bring me to the £25.
    - always pay in £, i.e. don't avail of the pay in € option which Amazon push
    - join parcel motel / wizard to for cases where delivery only to uk (note that you will be paying uk VAT rather than Irish vat so a further saving)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

I already used my free Prime month. Can I pay for prime monthly rather than for the full year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Is there not some catch 22 thing where when you're a Prime member, the free super saver delivery option is removed, meaning you're tied in to getting all deliveries sent to PM / PW, as Prime doesn't offer free shipping to Ireland?

I seem to remember this from when I took a free trial some time ago and had to wait till the month expired to start ordering normally again..
    Maybe it's changed since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Wow. The irony .

For the record . Mrcheez was right up there as one of the spammers that brought down the " Amazon Bargain Alerts " thread by spamming the crap out of it and then complaining to the mods that it was full of spam .

The irony ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

degsie wrote: »
    Not a BA ;)
    Wow. The irony .

Nipping this in the bud.

This *is* a bargain alert as it's "alerting" people to the fact that the deals start tomorrow.

Yes I know this may become a superthread, but the fact that it has a limited run of two weeks and alerts people to deals that last mere minutes means that you will get people checking this one thread on a regular hourly basis as there's a guarantee there will be a new deal every hour or so.

There won't be a problem with chat getting in the way (as much) as the deals have such a short lifespan.

This is as opposed to a permanent Amazon bargain alert thread that essentially became mired in chat and was only used sporadically, hence became a chore to use for alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

nedd wrote: »
    I already used my free Prime month. Can I pay for prime monthly rather than for the full year?

Just use a different E mail address and set up another trial you can use same address and card, I've done it three times

Prediction: The FireTV was on sale in 2015... if the Fire stick goes on sale this year I highly recommend everyone picks one up as it's quite possibly the best thing that I've ever purchased on Amazon (well the Echo Dot is a close 2nd).

I'll be picking up 2 more, a guy in my office has purchased 12 so far (for mates/cousins etc)!

Hmm seemingly confirmed: https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-announces-black-friday-deals-on-amazon-devices/

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Thanks OP for the heads up, your post should allow people get ready for the massive bargain alerts, I'm sure many don't know it's starting earlier than the Friday itself, maybe we can use this as a megathread (I don't see any set up yet) to exchange strategies / remind what worked well last year

My few tips which are probably obvious to most:

- once you put your item in the basket you have to complete order within 10 mins or so, to ensure you avail of free postage on orders > £25 have a few other items in mind which will bring your order up to £25. I've lost deals in the past because I've spent too long trying to find something I wanted which would bring me to the £25.
    - always pay in £, i.e. don't avail of the pay in € option which Amazon push
    - join parcel motel / wizard to for cases where delivery only to uk (note that you will be paying uk VAT rather than Irish vat so a further saving)

This should help for topping up to £25 link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

mrcheez wrote: »
    Prediction: The FireTV was on sale in 2015... if the Fire stick goes on sale this year I highly recommend everyone picks one up as it's quite possibly the best thing that I've ever purchased on Amazon (well the Echo Dot is a close 2nd).
    I'll be picking up 2 more, a guy in my office has purchased 12 so far (for mates/cousins etc)!
    Hmm seemingly confirmed: https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-announces-black-friday-deals-on-amazon-devices/
    Everyone?
    I have no television. Whoy, whoy would you recommend I get a fire stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What was that other posters saying about you spamming threads. How about we don't bother we your mystic meg predictions and actually still to bargain alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

snubbleste wrote: »
    Everyone?

Whoy indeed!
    You could craft a pyramid of skulls, place the fire stick atop it and worship it as a god maybe?

The "poster doesn't have X, seeks alternative use for Y" stuff would be best in a different thread all the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

snubbleste wrote: »
    Everyone?

So you could give it as an Xmas pressie to some one a little less tighter than yourself ?

:)

What was that other posters saying about you spamming threads. How about we don't bother we your mystic meg predictions and actually still to bargain alerts.

Harsh. It's actually a valid prediction and a bargain alert since it's been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Can this be closed already? Nothing of use posted on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

What's with all the negativity to cheezy?
    This will alert us to more bargains as it develops. What's wrong with that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

I want to see stupid people trample themselves for a Fuji TV...other than that, black Friday may aswell be just another Harvey Norman sale at this stage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I want to see stupid people trample themselves for a Fuji TV...other than that, black Friday may aswell be just another Harvey Norman sale at this stage.

Not true if you tend to be into tech, in particular home automation tech. There can be very serious deals on various tech products, often at least 1/3rd off. I'm always recommending people to wait for prime sales if thinking of buying Home Automation Tech:

- Usually lots off anything made by Amazon, Fire TV, Fire Tablets, Kindles and this year probably Echo and Dot's
    - Philips Hue smart light bundles, often drop by a 1/3rd
    - Logitech Harmony remotes, big reductions, the Elite model normally costs £250, I got mine for £160, nearly half price, in the last prime sale.

Just a few examples, I'm sure there will be lots more. Also tends to be big reductions in electric toothbrushes, shavers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Is there not some catch 22 thing where when you're a Prime member, the free super saver delivery option is removed, meaning you're tied in to getting all deliveries sent to PM / PW, as Prime doesn't offer free shipping to Ireland?

I seem to remember this from when I took a free trial some time ago and had to wait till the month expired to start ordering normally again..
    Maybe it's changed since then?

Can someone answer this? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Can someone answer this? :)

I have prime and once i spend the required amount for free shipping to do , you just change the address.

Is this fire stick a new version with Alexa.?

Yes everyone should have one whether they have a TV or not! Just put it in the grate and light a match. Keep you warm for a while:D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

Any recommendations for a new laptop?
    I'm looking for an i5 with full HD screen. Not too pushed about graphics or internal memory.
    Looks like it's between Amazon or Laptops Direct. Am I best off waiting until black friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Pyrrhic wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a new laptop?
    I'm looking for an i5 with full HD screen. Not too pushed about graphics or internal memory.
    Looks like it's between Amazon or Laptops Direct. Am I best off waiting until black friday?

?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just a heads up that Black "Friday" is actually going to run on Amazon.co.uk over 2 weeks starting this Monday 14 Nov.

My approach to this is going to be to have the items I want registered at my preferred price with camelcamel and just let it do the work, rather than constantly refreshing the deals page... but eh.. do post deals you find to this inevitable superthread :D

Have you a link to that, as I see nothing about Black Friday on the site?

Have you a link to that, as I see nothing about Black Friday on the site?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Friday-Deals/b?tag=vg247-m-uk-21&node=161428031

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

The easiest method I found to build-up £25 for free delivery is AA and AAA batteries, such as the AmazonBasics disposable or pre-charged depending on the type you use.

They'll certainly come in handy over the holiday season... ;)

If you're well stocked up on batteries, then USB flash drives and memory cards are another quick way of reaching £25.

editorsean wrote: »
    The easiest method I found to build-up £25 for free delivery is AA and AAA batteries, such as the AmazonBasics disposable or pre-charged depending on the type you use.

They'll certainly come in handy over the holiday season... ;)

If you're well stocked up on batteries, then USB flash drives and memory cards are another quick way of reaching £25.

I wonder if you buy a Gift Card does that go toward your £25?

Say you see something you want but it's £7 and nothing else interests you at that time before the sale ends.

EDIT: Nope... just tested. Added something to deliver for £5 then added a £50 gift card... still says I have to add £20 to qualify

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do first time app users still get £5 off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I'm very interested in buying a kindle paper white, it's £104.95 with the ad banners and £120 without on the site at the moment, do you think it could be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

What I do for speed is add the possible items I want (quite a list!) to the Amazon basket and then transfer them using the 'Save for later' option button. This puts them in a list below the actual basket and I'm then able to call them up to the official basket again in a hurry, as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm very interested in buying a kindle paper white, it's £104.95 with the ad banners and £120 without on the site at the moment, do you think it could be reduced.

Most likely. I got mine for £80 about a year ago and that wasn't even in the Black Friday sale. That was the one with ads but I contacted online support when I got it and told them I didn't realise it had ads on it and they removed them for no charge.

• Advertisement

yep.. will be reduced.. see link in my post below...
    (refers to amazon.com, but pretty much guaranteed for .co.uk)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement