Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva Stadium naming rights round 2

Options
  • 12-11-2016 8:17pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As we all know new LDR was named Aviva Stadium when it opened in 2009 in a 10 year deal valued at €40 million which paid for a lot of the costs of building the stadium. Well the deal expires in 3 years.

Will the IRFU and the FAI seek to restore the name Lansdowne road to the stadium or will they seek to resell the naming right. A new venue is valued above an existing venue and and the market for naming rights is poor as seen by failures to sell naming rights for Thomond and the RDS recently.

Any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The stadium cost €420 million or so, they should crowd fund reverting to Lansdowne, it's the oldest rugby ground in constant use in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

laugh wrote: »
    The stadium cost €420 million or so.

True 235 or so paid by the state and 185 or so paid by FAI/IRFU. For what its worth the naming rights took almost 25% of the IRFU/FAIs burden off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I doubt there's any debate over whether it's going to happen. The only question is who takes it on and how much they pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭durthacht

I doubt there's any debate over whether it's going to happen. The only question is who takes it on and how much they pay.

Absolutely they should sell naming rights.

The FAI are still massively in debt and the IRFU can barely compete with the money in the English and French games. If selling naming rights provides funds to keep some of our best players in Ireland then I'd be all for it.

I imagine they would sell as the Aviva has far more exposure and prestige than either RDS or Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It would be utterly insane for them not to do anything but sell the naming rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think Aviva are somewhat out of the Irish consumer market too now, at least definitely in Health insurance. So I suppose we can expect a change whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was a disgrace that they changed the name in the first place. That would never have happened with Wembley or Twickenham, but then the English respect tradition.

Ireland's football team I believe are also one of the few international sides that sell jerseys with a corporate logo across the front - it's more important to fill John Delaney's coffers than to have a bit of dignity.

Ideally the name will revert back to Lansdowne Road but we all know the people that make these decisions would sell out their own mothers for a bit of moolah.

And I don't buy this argument about how it's justifiable because it brings in funds. Should we allow the Book of Kells to be renamed iKells if Apple pay us a pretty penny for the right to do so? Is nothing sacred?

Time to stop selling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It was a disgrace that they changed the name in the first place. That would never have happened with Wembley or Twickenham, but then the English respect tradition.

Ireland's football team I believe are also one of the few international sides that sell jerseys with a corporate logo across the front - it's more important to fill John Delaney's coffers than to have a bit of dignity.

Ideally the name will revert back to Lansdowne Road but we all know the people that make these decisions would sell out their own mothers for a bit of moolah.

And I don't buy this argument about how it's justifiable because it brings in funds. Should we allow the Book of Kells to be renamed iKells if Apple pay us a pretty penny for the right to do so? Is nothing sacred?

Selling out? Its not. It very much is justifiable as where do you make up the money from not doing it. Ireland soccer team are one of the few but that's a different sport. As for pety comment on JD...:rolleyes:
    Virtually all rugby teams have sponsors on jerseys bar world cups
    The name reverting to Lansdowne Road means less money for every part of the game in the country. How is that a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Selling out? Its not. It very much is justifiable as where do you make up the money from not doing it. Ireland soccer team are one of the few but that's a different sport. As for pety comment on JD...:rolleyes:
    Virtually all rugby teams have sponsors on jerseys bar world cups
    The name reverting to Lansdowne Road means less money for every part of the game in the country. How is that a good thing?

The OP reads:
    Will the IRFU and the FAI seek to restore the name Lansdowne road to the stadium

Hence why I mentioned soccer. And it's laughable that you consider a comment against 'JD' petty when this man earns more than the winners of the League of Ireland, and has called the league 'a problem child'. He's everything that's wrong with the way sport is governed in this country - 'get as much cash as possible - for corporate pockets.'

As for, 'The name reverting to Lansdowne Road means less money for every part of the game in the country. How is that a good thing?' I already addressed that. If you keep selling out on tradition and culture then what are you left to represent?

Hey tourists, pop down to Trinity Trump College to see the Book of Kells Apple's iKells, then why not have a look inside The GPO Amazon Post Office, and when you're done there head down to Croke Park McDonald's Park to catch a GAA game.

Hey, it's a great future isn't it because there's so much MONEY coming in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

People go to Trinity College and see the Book of Kells because of their name and history.

People go to Lansdowne Road because of who is playing there. If they call it Aviva the chances are the people playing there will be more likely to win - suits me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Agree
    It still is Lansdowne road and always will be
    It still is the Point Depot and always will be
    It still is Musgrave Park and always will be
    It still is Ravenhill etc
    etc
    Ok. sell the name. € needed
    But please. People of Ireland, I beg you, STOP calling it by the sponsors name.

Shag all people call those arenas by anything but the sponsor's name aside from Musgrave because Irish Independent Park is the clunkiest moniker known to man.

To the punter on the street, it's the 3 Arena, the Aviva, Kingspan etc. The media are obliged to refer to them as such and that pretty much assures that people will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Of course they will sell the naming rights again - they would be mad to turn down that amount of cash. And besides, Landsdowne Road as a title is not really of any relevance to the football fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ah FFS I'm only getting used to calling it Aviva. :(

Buer wrote: »
    Shag all people call those arenas by anything but the sponsor's name aside from Musgrave because Irish Independent Park is the clunkiest moniker known to man.

To the punter on the street, it's the 3 Arena, the Aviva, Kingspan etc. The media are obliged to refer to them as such and that pretty much assures that people will follow suit.

Yea! Shag them idiots. Who needs culture and heritage when you have money?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Rugby is a professional sport. Without money it doesn't exist. It has nothing to do with culture or heritage. Personally I rather sell the naming rights and keep our top players playing at home.

You want the sport to continue in Ireland, you need the money. A name doesn't change history. It would be the height of stupidity to turn down the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What law is there that states the media are obliged to call them as such? There's absolutely nothing to stop them calling it anything they want, but they choose to do so because it may potentially upset a potential advertising sale. The "media" have long since sold their souls to the highest bidder and would sell a derivative of it if given half the chance.

Seeing as the State contributed most of the cost of Lansdowne road, I'd prefer to see any cash from naming pay down some of the national debt than squander it on sports that do OK for themselves on the international level. It's not like you can go out and buy a better player to represent the national team. Anything at provincial or lower levels should either look after itself or fold if not sustainable.

What law is there that states the media are obliged to call them as such? There's absolutely nothing to stop them calling it anything they want, but they choose to do so because it may potentially upset a potential advertising sale. The "media" have long since sold their souls to the highest bidder and would sell a derivative of it if given half the chance.

They can see their media access hugely curtailed.
    Seeing as the State contributed most of the cost of Lansdowne road, I'd prefer to see any cash from naming pay down some of the national debt than squander it on sports that do OK for themselves on the international level. It's not like you can go out and buy a better player to represent the national team. Anything at provincial or lower levels should either look after itself or fold if not sustainable.

Yeah. Ok. Do you think the game and development is all cost free?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The English respect tradition?

Have you watched Bolton Wanderers in action in the Macron Stadium (previously the Reebok Stadium) in the Checkatrade.com trophy lately?

I dislike corporate stadium naming rights too, and agree with the other poster who said people should just ignore it and maybe it'll go away, but let's not pretend the English are above stuff like this either. There's a huge amount of grounds being renamed in England unfortunately.

• Advertisement

You want the sport to continue in Ireland, you need the money. A name doesn't change history. It would be the height of stupidity to turn down the money.

Never said turn down the money. Read the previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

As we all know new LDR was named Aviva Stadium when it opened in 2009 in a 10 year deal valued at €40 million which paid for a lot of the costs of building the stadium. Well the deal expires in 3 years.

Will the IRFU and the FAI seek to restore the name Lansdowne road to the stadium or will they seek to resell the naming right. A new venue is valued above an existing venue and and the market for naming rights is poor as seen by failures to sell naming rights for Thomond and the RDS recently.

Any thoughts.

The time to sell the naming rights for Thomond Park was ten years ago. They said that back then once the new stadium was completed you'd be looking at 750,000 per annum which then would have got you world class talents, now you're looking at 350,000 per annum which would get you a decent young player for about two years until a French team offers him more.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing and the way Munster Rugby has fallen they'll be kicking themselves at such a missed opportunity.

Rugby is a professional sport. Without money it doesn't exist. It has nothing to do with culture or heritage. Personally I rather sell the naming rights and keep our top players playing at home.

So would I.
    Just don't call it the sponsors name. Like most of the lemmings around

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nonsense nonsense nonsense

Ireland are already struggling to keep up with the English and French when it comes to finances, there is no way they can afford to turn down €40m+ for naming rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Agree
    It still is Lansdowne road and always will be
    It still is the Point Depot and always will be
    It still is Musgrave Park and always will be
    It still is Ravenhill etc
    etc
    Ok. sell the name. needed
    But please. People of Ireland, I beg you, STOP calling it by the sponsors name.

If calling Ravenhill, "Kingspan" means Ulster signing the likes of Piutau and Coetzee it's fine by me.

If calling Lansdowne Rd, "the Aviva", means the likes of Conor Murray, Robbie Henshaw and Iain Henderson stay in Ireland then it's fine by me.

It's a pretty easy source of income and helps us try and compete with the French and English clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sell Sell Sell.....

Then hand all the money to Leinster......

bilston wrote: »
    If calling Ravenhill, "Kingspan" means Ulster signing the likes of Piutau and Coetzee it's fine by me.

If calling Lansdowne Rd, "the Aviva", means the likes of Conor Murray, Robbie Henshaw and Iain Henderson stay in Ireland then it's fine by me.

It's a pretty easy source of income and helps us try and compete with the French and English clubs.

I'm not disagreeing about selling the name! Take the money.
    Just refer to it as Lansdowne rd etc
    Easy. And it also will help my blood pressure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ireland are already struggling to keep up with the English and French when it comes to finances, there is no way they can afford to turn down €40m+ for naming rights.

Theres no way in hell we get 4 million a year for naming rights again. As I mentioned earlier naming rights for a new venue are worth more than for an existing venue. If we get half that we should be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They can see their media access hugely curtailed.

Yeah. Ok. Do you think the game and development is all cost free?

I never said it was free but if any sport can't sustain itself, then let it die. Throwing money at it only delays the inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Out of all sponsors for a stadium name "Aviva" is not the worst. If it wasn't a company I'd have no problem at all with the name, except for it just not sounding particularly Irish.

Better than the travisty that is the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre.

Advertisement