Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of false Christian theologies

Options
  • 11-11-2016 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I was brought up in rural Ireland and by the age of seventeen was very familiar with Catholic teaching, as by that age I had attended four of their schools. In later life, I found out by doing searches on the Bible using online resources that most of the Catholic Church's teachings contradict Scripture. I list as follows the main incorrect teachings that I found against which you can assess if the particular church you belong to has strictly adhered to Scripture.

1. Man has an immortal soul. Nowhere in the Bible are the words " immortal soul " found. If God had given man such an attribute, He would have pointed it out in the Bible as it is impossible to work it out independently of man's manufacturer. Genesis 2:7 says of the creation of Adam : "God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul". Therefore a soul is something you are, not something you have. The Bible also uses the Hebrew word translated as " soul " in relation to the creation of animals. A definition of "soul" as it is used in the Bible is : " a living creature ". The belief that man had an immortal soul was first asserted by the ancient Egyptians who were pagans. The ancient Greeks also believed it, and the Greek philosophers Socrates and Plato publicized the belief widely. The people who framed Christianity in the centuries after the Apostles died did so incorrectly, by taking heed of what Plato said about the soul rather than the Bible.

2. The Doctrine of the trinity. The word " trinity" is found nowhere in the Bible. Mainstream Christianity teaches that there is an equal trio of God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ. First of all, there aren't three separate entities involved; the Holy Spirit as taught in the Bible is an integral part of God; the part of God that He uses to enforce His will. The following passage demonstrates this: " Now that we have received not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God, that we might understand the gifts bestowed on us by God "(1.Cor.2.12). The Bible makes it plain in several Bible verses that Jesus Christ is inferior to God, thereby further undermining the doctrine of an equal trinity. Jesus Christ went out of his way to point out in several Bible verses that he was subordinate to God. The following quotation from Paul also separates God from Jesus Christ in one verse : " For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Jesus Christ " (1. Tim.2.5).

3. The wicked are punished in hell. As I demonstrated in point 1 above man does not have an immortal soul, therefore there is no chance that the wicked commence their punishment immediately after death. The Bible teaches that the dead have no recollection of anything whilst they are in the grave. The Bible sometimes likens death at the end of this life to " sleeping ". This is a good comparison because those who are now " sleeping " will be resurrected at a future date to judgement by Christ; and if they don't measure up they are destroyed - they die a second time in the "lake o# fire ". ( Rev. 20 :14 ). The most appropriate quotation to demonstrate this point is John 3.16 : " For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life ".

4. The saved go to heaven. The points made by me in 3 about the soul and the state of the dead are also applicable here. The Bible teaches that heaven is simply the abode of God. It further teaches that the only person ever to go to heaven was Jesus Christ, who went there at the invitation of God. A judgement immediately after death is not mentioned in the Bible; instead it says the dead are resurrected and then judged by Christ when he returns to the earth. The reward for measuring up in the judgement is eternal life on a reconstituted earth. The following Bible verse is the most appropriate here: " Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth " ( Mat. 5:5).

5. Mary and the saints should be worshipped. The Bible gives Mary due credit for what she did in bringing about Jesus Christ, but it doesn't say anywhere that she should be worshipped or glorified; it states worship should be confined to God alone. Paul says in the Bible in 1. Corinthians 10.31 : " So whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God ". The Mary worship that has built up over the years in the Roman Church is therefore false and unbiblical. Similarly, people who have done good things in life should not be cannonised and placed in heaven inspiring prayer and worship to them. Instead, the Holy date.

6. God has no plan for the earth. Mainstream Christianity by falsely putting people after death in heaven or hell never get to God's plan for the planet, as outlined in the wrap-up book of the Bible, Revelation. In The Kingdom of God to come on earth saved human beings will be given a new body and will help Jesus Christ reign for a thousand years in a kingdom consisting of an earthly paradise brought about by a reformed earth. At the Book states that anyone who has done good deeds in this life and has died will be rewarded in the judgement after the resurrection of the dead at a future end of Christ's preparatory work, God will vacate His current abode in heaven and come to live upon the earth in complete harmony with His people.

The above demonstrates that most of the Christian world have been misled by various churches as to the true message of the Bible. If you have got anything to say on this piece, do so here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

1. Man has an immortal soul. Nowhere in the Bible are the words " immortal soul " found.

So what? If you can reasonably infer the existence of one then that's good enough.

Perhaps, by way of beginning to support your contention, you could explain your view on Moses and Elijah appearing with and talking to Jesus.

2. The Doctrine of the trinity.[/B] The word " trinity" is found nowhere in the Bible.

Again, so what?
    Mainstream Christianity teaches that there is an equal trio of God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ. First of all, there aren't three separate entities involved; the Holy Spirit as taught in the Bible is an integral part of God; the part of God that He uses to enforce His will.

I'm not so sure you have what is taught, straight. The teaching (in so far as I've attended to it) is that there are three separate personhoods without there being three divisible gods. Now that leaves us with a problem since we've no experience of three personhoods anywhere else without there being division between them. So far so mysterious.

The following passage demonstrates this: " Now that we have received not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God, that we might understand the gifts bestowed on us by God "(1.Cor.2.12).

Spirit from God (if we hold to the separate persons notion ) easily reads "something that is not God the father, sent by the father. His (the Spirit's) mission, set by the Father, is to illuminate something the gifts bestowed on us by the Father.

The Bible makes it plain in several Bible verses that Jesus Christ is inferior to God, thereby further undermining the doctrine of an equal trinity. Jesus Christ went out of his way to point out in several Bible verses that he was subordinate to God.

You have a low threshold for deciding something plain! Subordinate can be taken to mean inferior/lower/less important when you look around at it's working in this world. But in those cases, the subordination is imposed. The boss has the power, the lowly worker not. There is no choice on the part of the worker in being the subordinate - not unless he's prepared to starve by going without the job. He is indeed in the inferior position.

In the case of Christ, he subordinated himself. This is utterly different. Something he chose to do, not something he had to do. You are not rendered inferior if you chose to take anothers lead.
    The following quotation from Paul also separates God from Jesus Christ in one verse : " For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Jesus Christ " (1. Tim.2.5).

How does this contradict Trinity teaching? Such teaching supposes separate personhoodsl

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

I had a read of the forum Charter (Given some of the posts, and despite the "please read" request, it makes me wonder does anyone else ever read it ?)

"2. For the purposes of this board 'Christian' means broad assent to historic Christian belief such as is contained in the Apostles' Creed. Individual posters with other beliefs, however, are welcome."

"4. Please be honest about your faith where it makes a clear difference to your answer. This isn't "Personal Issues"... if a person comes here with a problem, it is probably because they think a Christian answer will be more relevant to them. This is not to discourage non-Christians replying, it is simply a matter of courtesy.

Could the poster please identify if they are perhaps a Jehovah's witness, Morman or suchlike, it might make the discussion more productive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Skommando wrote: »
    I had a read of the forum Charter (Given some of the posts, and despite the "please read" request, it makes me wonder does anyone else ever read it ?)

"2. For the purposes of this board 'Christian' means broad assent to historic Christian belief such as is contained in the Apostles' Creed. Individual posters with other beliefs, however, are welcome."

"4. Please be honest about your faith where it makes a clear difference to your answer. This isn't "Personal Issues"... if a person comes here with a problem, it is probably because they think a Christian answer will be more relevant to them. This is not to discourage non-Christians replying, it is simply a matter of courtesy.

Could the poster please identify if they are perhaps a Jehovah's witness, Morman or suchlike, it might make the discussion more productive ?

Likely a Jehovah's Witness and the opening post reads like mailing list copypasta. Jehovah's Witnesses employ weird and frankly illiterate translations of Koine Greek, something which puts them outside nearly all Christian traditions. Possibly some of the notions he suggests draw on Unitarianism, but they don't make their points in that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

So, you found issues with the bible. Well, that's a revelation in itself perhaps worthy of a book.
    Personally, I have a lot more issues with the bible than listed above buy I will abide by the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It's just a link-dropping scumbag blogger, some of them would do anything for traffic

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057662240/1/#post101432798

someone should ask the mods to delete this thread and not be encouraging them, or the next one will just try sneakier ways to get a few clicks

• Advertisement

They should not have snipped the link. I would like to have a gander for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kieranwaldron

Thanks antiskeptic for your points on my post, to which I reply as follows.

You cannot " reasonably infer " the existence of an immortal soul in man from anything said in the Bible. Jesus brought Moses and Elijah back to life on a temporary basis by performing a miracle in order to prove to those present that he was the link between heaven and the earth.

The Bible does not teach that God consists of " three separate personhoods "; and in many instances it demonstrates that Jesus Christ is inferior to God.

I am a Christian who does not belong to any church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I am a Christian who does not belong to any church.

Then you're not a Christian!

Please explain that to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

As I understand it, all that's required is that you have faith in Jesus Christ and accept him as your saviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Point 5 is completely false. You may not agree with Catholic (and Orthodox) practices regarding prayer to Mary, but they do not worship her.

Your other points are points of view which others have advanced. You're entitled to argue them, but bear in mind that it's possible for sincere people of good will to disagree. Perhaps consider getting involved in a church of some description, it's good to be part of a community of faith, even if you don't agree on everything.

Thanks antiskeptic for your points on my post, to which I reply as follows.

So let's look. I gave a single example in order to see how the discussion would go. There are plenty more.
    Jesus brought Moses and Elijah back to life on a temporary basis by performing a miracle in order to prove to those present that he was the link between heaven and the earth.

There is nothing about Jesus performing a miracle in this case. Nor that their post-death existence was a temporary affair.

It is interesting to note the dictionary definition:

"come into sight; become visible or noticeable, especially without apparent cause."

The word appear doesn't lend itself to notions of being created. There is the sense of once hidden > now revealed about it.

The Bible does not teach that God consists of " three separate personhoods "; and in many instances it demonstrates that Jesus Christ is inferior to God.

Could you give an example of inferiority which isn't addressed by the argument previously made by me (regarding Jesus' chosen-for-subordination not equalling inferiority of position wrt the father). Or counter the argument itself.

There are three distinct persons indicated. What can I say?

He might just mean he doesn't belong to any physical grouping as such. Neither do I.

blueshade wrote: »
    As I understand it, all that's required is that you have faith in Jesus Christ and accept him as your saviour.

There's a thread I keep meaning to pick back up but in it, the problem of Abraham. He was saved long before Jesus could be accepted as a saviour.

So salvation must involve something else at root.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,074 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Obviously I cannot speak for how kieranwaldron identifies himself, but the positions he professes line up fairly neatly with those of the Christadelphians, a movement which emerged from Protestant Christianity in the mid-nineteenth century, and which is still largely confined to the English-speaking world. Signficantly, the Christadelphians don't consider either the movement as a whole or its individual congregations to be "churches"; a congregation is instead referred to as an ecclesia (which as well all know on this Board is a Greek word meaning "assembly"), and it meets in a hall or a chapel but defininitely not in a church. So it could be that kieranwaldron doesn't belong to a church because he belongs to an ecclesia. Or, of course, it could be that he doesn't belong to any kind of organised Christian community.

He might just mean he doesn't belong to any physical grouping as such. Neither do I.

That's exactly what I mean.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Obviously I cannot speak for how kieranwaldron identifies himself, but the positions he professes line up fairly neatly with those of the Christadelphians, a movement which emerged from Protestant Christianity in the mid-nineteenth century, and which is still largely confined to the English-speaking world. Signficantly, the Christadelphians don't consider either the movement as a whole or its individual congregations to be "churches"; a congregation is instead referred to as an ecclesia (which as well all know on this Board is a Greek word meaning "assembly"), and it meets in a hall or a chapel but defininitely not in a church. So it could be that kieranwaldron doesn't belong to a church because he belongs to an ecclesia. Or, of course, it could be that he doesn't belong to any kind of organised Christian community.

The conclusions I have come to in points 1-6 above are wholly mine from research that I have done. I am however aware of a group of Bible scholars online called the Christadelphians whose conclusions, at least in part, may agree with mine.

That's exactly what I mean.

There are advantages and disadvantages to a "church". Groupthink being the most significant player of the disadvantage side.

Groupthink is fine, except if it's wrongthink. And it's more likely to be wrongthink than rightthink once group dynamics get to work

What I mean is that there is only One Church. The church of the redeemed ones. You must be a Christian to be part of it and visa versa.
    It's a Church which has its place in both heaven and earth. Just read Hebrews!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

The conclusions I have come to in points 1-6 above are wholly mine from research that I have done.

Then you'll need to do a lot more research, because each of them are either wrong or complete misrepresentations of mainstream Christianity. Most of them, if not all of them, have been done to death on this forum dozens of times if you look through older threads.

Then you'll need to do a lot more research, because each of them are either wrong or complete misrepresentations of mainstream Christianity. Most of them, if not all of them, have been done to death on this forum dozens of times if you look through older threads.

It is mainstream Christianity that is wrong and not my research. If you take my point 3 above, for example, do you really believe that God has people who die in a state of sin tortured in hell for eternity as taught by mainstream Christianity ?

It is mainstream Christianity that is wrong and not my research. If you take my point 3 above, for example, do you really believe that God has people who die in a state of sin tortured in hell for eternity as taught by mainstream Christianity ?

I do. The Bible says that those who are not born again will be sent to hell and ultimately the lake of fire for total destruction.

What I mean is that there is only One Church.

Agreed

The church of the redeemed ones.

Agreed

You must be a Christian to be part of it

Agreed .. assuming you hold that Abraham was a Christian?

It's a Church which has its place in both heaven and earth. Just read Hebrews!

Agreed. I assume you agree that you don't have to be part of a physical congregation in order to belong to the Church?

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed .. assuming you hold that Abraham was a Christian?

Agreed. I assume you agree that you don't have to be part of a physical congregation in order to belong to the Church?

It also says in Hebrews that we should not forsake assembling together

Are you of the view that non Christians are doomed to hell?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

But it's not actually required though.

I do. The Bible says that those who are not born again will be sent to hell and ultimately the lake of fire for total destruction.

You are very mixed up in your reply. In your reply to the question that I asked you replied : I do..........and then go on to acknowledge ultimate destruction (annihilation) in the lake of fire. Mainstream Christianity never taught annihilation in the lake of fire instead they taught that sinners were punished for eternity ( for ever ) in a hellfire. If you are thrown bodily into a lake of fire you die within a few seconds and your punishment does not continue for ever.

You are very mixed up in your reply. In your reply to the question that I asked you replied : I do..........and then go on to acknowledge ultimate destruction (annihilation) in the lake of fire. Mainstream Christianity never taught annihilation in the lake of fire instead they taught that sinners were punished for eternity ( for ever ) in a hellfire. If you are thrown bodily into a lake of fire you die within a few seconds and your punishment does not continue for ever.

You've obviously not read revelation.

• Advertisement

Advbrd wrote: »
    Are you of the view that non Christians are doomed to hell?

Christ died for everyone. But not all will be saved.

Advertisement