Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

kin9pin wrote: »
    Quick question about my marathon plan.
    I'm on the last big week of the HH IM2 plan before starting the taper for London. This weekend calls for 10m PMP on Saturday followed by 20m LSR on Sunday to complete a 50m week. The whole point of the intermediate plan is to get used to running long on tired legs and it's definitely working. I've already completed 10/20, 9/19, 8/17, 8/16 etc. weekends as part of the plan, but I'm getting a bit nervous about pushing myself too far this close to the race.
    Should I just trust the plan? Switch to a 20m LSR on Saturday with a recovery run on Sunday? Reduce the PMP distance on Saturday?
    Not sure what I want to hear to be honest. Unlike DCM I've clocked up over 500 miles without the slightest hint of an injury so I'm wondering how much additional benefit the pace run can give me on Saturday.

im on the same plan for connemarathon and doing this today and tomorrow, so I am sticking with the plan. there is a good 21/22 days of taper there (i think they are on the same day?) with enough to keep ticking over. I found doing these really beneficial - the running on tired legs makes running in fresh ones so much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

I'm planning a 20M LSR around our parts on Sat morning.. but (based on advice) looks like you will be on Sunday.. But if plans change and you want company then let me know. I will probably be on a circa 9M P/M pace. I go out around 7:30-8ish. Back to house by 11.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's your next event, paddy?

What's your next event, paddy?

Limerick Marathon on 30th April... :D Was planning Connemara Marathon but logistics were a bit tricky and wanted to take some of the family with me. This way easier for them to watch and then entertain themselves for the few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I'm planning a 20M LSR around our parts on Sat morning.. but (based on advice) looks like you will be on Sunday.. But if plans change and you want company then let me know. I will probably be on a circa 9M P/M pace. I go out around 7:30-8ish. Back to house by 11.

Thanks H, I think I'll stick to the plan though and I'm not even sure yet when I can get out on Saturday. Limerick eh.....what time are you going for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

From today's run. Merry Christmas to yiz.

xmasrun_zps4ezuz0fr.jpg

Thanks H, I think I'll stick to the plan though and I'm not even sure yet when I can get out on Saturday. Limerick eh.....what time are you going for?

Not sure... don't think something I can honestly reveal either. Will see how I am feeling closer to time. You'll know from Strava that the miles have been put in since DCM but not done any specific sessions. Have the few 20M runs in there too so hopefully all be good. End of April could be very different conditions to end of Oct too!.. as could be London for yourself too.

Gentlemen, start your sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Gentlemen, start your sunshine.

Beautiful this morning all right , long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Quick note to let you all know I have *finally* managed to spend the last few euros of the very generous Amphibian King voucher you all got me after DCM16! A shiny pair of ASICS and some gels for the Connemarathon, finally got me over the line :)

Thanks again! :cool:

• Advertisement

Going away for Easter (Waterford), but runners will be coming with me. This Saturday I have...
    5,4,3,2,1 min @ (Thres/CV/AP/Vo2/110%) paces w/ equal recovery

What's 110%, faster than Vo2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Going away for Easter (Waterford), but runners will be coming with me. This Saturday I have...

What's 110%, faster than Vo2?

Yes it is. If you go to Myles' calculator you can figure out your 110% pace here (post #557 on this thread).

Enjoy your Easter hols!

Who else apart from nop and ToriV is doing the Connemarathon?

I'm coming towards the end of the 5-10k plan. Tomorrow it calls for taking Saturday off and a 2k time trial. From random searching I've read a few articles around that (here, here and here, but am not sure what do. From the second link:
    Essentially, time trials are simply a chance to measure your current level of performance against the clock. Just choose a distance, measure it out on the roads, then run it as fast as you can. Once you’ve finished, check your watch – your time is your benchmark.

For next week, the plan calls for a race on Sunday. I guess I could swap that for a park run on Saturday (ordinarily, next Sat is 20 mins recovery) or just continue straight into the next plan - 10k-HM, to keep myself ticking over. I'm still a few weeks out from the Inishbofin 10k.

Who else apart from nop and ToriV is doing the Connemarathon?

I'm coming towards the end of the 5-10k plan. Tomorrow it calls for taking Saturday off and a 2k time trial. From random searching I've read a few articles around that (here, here and here, but am not sure what do. From the second link:

For next week, the plan calls for a race on Sunday. I guess I could swap that for a park run on Saturday (ordinarily, next Sat is 20 mins recovery) or just continue straight into the next plan - 10k-HM, to keep myself ticking over. I'm still a few weeks out from the Inishbofin 10k.

A time trial simply means running as fast as you can as described above. Find a track and do 5 laps or measure out a route in your local park. Use the Sli na Slainte signs in the Phoenix Park or along the coast (they are 1Km apart). Endless options. Just make sure you warm up first.

Inishbofin is in 3 weeks time ? You could simply repeat the last 3 weeks of the current programme and start a new one after the race (give yourself a bit of a rest first maybe)

A track like ALSAA, for instance? And the warm up should be normal, not anything out of the ordinary?

Heard Connemarathon mentioned on the radio and an arts festival in Inishbofin too. Quite a reminder. :pac:

A track like ALSAA, for instance? And the warm up should be normal, not anything out of the ordinary?

Heard Connemarathon mentioned on the radio and an arts festival in Inishbofin too. Quite a reminder. :pac:

Yup, a track like Alsaa, if you want a precisely measured 2K. Normal warm up, bearing in mind the general rule of thumb that the shorter the race/time trial, the longer the warm up should be: jog, dynamic stretches and strides would be ideal.

Big shout out to our member, Kin9pin, taking part in London this weekend too.. :p

All the best to everyone running a long one this weekend!

Sorry - havent been posting here much- must do better!

Just back from Connemarathon where i got around in 3.51, taking 19 minutes off my DCM time in 2016!

it was hot, hilly and bloody hard... and I loved it! The climbs are def something that you have to train for to do this one well - and i needed to do more.

Will def do it again and those Ultra guys are just unreal human beings!!

Hope all went well for our London participant.

Well done. :)

Sooo.... 4:16:44 for me in London. Slower than I hoped, but still a 4 minute PB so I'm happy enough, but learned some valuable lessons. A quick summary below:

London might be net downhill, but I found the sheer volume of runners makes it harder than it should be.
    I set off just behind the 4 hour pacers and was coasting along nicely until we joined with the blue and green runners. At this point the blue 4:30 pacers joined bang in the middle of our red sub-4 group, with me behind them. Took me about a half a mile to get past them.
    I caught up with my pacers and and decided to run just in front of them to find some space. This worked well, though I had the same congestion trouble with the blue 4:15 group, and I hit Tower Bridge in decent form and then half-way in 1:58. At this point I felt great so I just kept ticking over and thought I had the backup of the pacers if needed.

I have to say the crowds in London are AMAZING. Not just at the Cutty Sark, Tower Bridge etc. The whole course, bar a mile or so after you leave Canary Wharf, was absolutely jammed and the noise was incredible.

Round about mile 16 I started noticing a pain in my right toes. I had the timing tag on this foot and I don't think I tied my laces tight enough (hindsight is a great thing). This pain got more intense with each mile to the point where I'd take a drink then squirt the remaining water over my foot to relieve the heat. Now I was starting to feel the effects of the sun as well and I was slowing down a bit.
    My pacers passed me on mile 18. I did actually put in a kick and stayed with them for a bit, but they started pulling away and I couldn't get them back. The last 6 miles slowed down quite a bit and I had to walk a few times with the pain.
    I did manage to pick it up a bit on miles 24/25 as I passed all the cheer points, but ran out of steam again and it certainly wasn't a sprint finish.
    I've never suffered from rubbing/blisters before, but my middle toe is raw and has blisters on the top and bottom. It also seemed much warmer than forecast and I saw way more people being treated than in Dublin.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the time. A couple of weeks off now before I ease back and I'm pretty certain I'll be hitting Dublin again this year. London ballot opens next Monday :)

Well done ToriV on a great time and to everyone else that ran Connemarathon. Not sure I could handle those hills!

• Advertisement

Well done. :)

Thanks TBO!

Sooo.... 4:16:44 for me in London. Slower than I hoped, but still a 4 minute PB so I'm happy enough, but learned some valuable lessons. A quick summary below:

London might be net downhill, but I found the sheer volume of runners makes it harder than it should be.
    I set off just behind the 4 hour pacers and was coasting along nicely until we joined with the blue and green runners. At this point the blue 4:30 pacers joined bang in the middle of our red sub-4 group, with me behind them. Took me about a half a mile to get past them.
    I caught up with my pacers and and decided to run just in front of them to find some space. This worked well, though I had the same congestion trouble with the blue 4:15 group, and I hit Tower Bridge in decent form and then half-way in 1:58. At this point I felt great so I just kept ticking over and thought I had the backup of the pacers if needed.

I have to say the crowds in London are AMAZING. Not just at the Cutty Sark, Tower Bridge etc. The whole course, bar a mile or so after you leave Canary Wharf, was absolutely jammed and the noise was incredible.

Round about mile 16 I started noticing a pain in my right toes. I had the timing tag on this foot and I don't think I tied my laces tight enough (hindsight is a great thing). This pain got more intense with each mile to the point where I'd take a drink then squirt the remaining water over my foot to relieve the heat. Now I was starting to feel the effects of the sun as well and I was slowing down a bit.
    My pacers passed me on mile 18. I did actually put in a kick and stayed with them for a bit, but they started pulling away and I couldn't get them back. The last 6 miles slowed down quite a bit and I had to walk a few times with the pain.
    I did manage to pick it up a bit on miles 24/25 as I passed all the cheer points, but ran out of steam again and it certainly wasn't a sprint finish.
    I've never suffered from rubbing/blisters before, but my middle toe is raw and has blisters on the top and bottom. It also seemed much warmer than forecast and I saw way more people being treated than in Dublin.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the time. A couple of weeks off now before I ease back and I'm pretty certain I'll be hitting Dublin again this year. London ballot opens next Monday :)

Well done ToriV on a great time and to everyone else that ran Connemarathon. Not sure I could handle those hills!

Well done - not an easy thing to run through. I have heard the congestion complaints before about London, bound to happen with so many runners and starting corrals.

Enjoy the rest and congrats again!

A few weeks off now till DCM 2017 training... Its those final 6 miles that are worrying bit for me and then the unknown's, such as equipment malfunction!

Well done on the marathon and its another bit of experience under the belt.

Can I ask were you far more relaxed going into it than you were for DCM? I am only starting to get that little bit nervous for Limerick now.. 3 days out. Wondering am I getting enough sleep.. which I am not!... am I drinking enough water.. which I am not!... Went for a 4M last night and felt lethargic but I do remember same during taper for DCM so I can pull upon that bit of experience.

Will see how it all goes and then use experience from that to plan for next one..:)

A few weeks off now till DCM 2017 training... Its those final 6 miles that are worrying bit for me and then the unknown's, such as equipment malfunction!

Well done on the marathon and its another bit of experience under the belt.

Can I ask were you far more relaxed going into it than you were for DCM? I am only starting to get that little bit nervous for Limerick now.. 3 days out. Wondering am I getting enough sleep.. which I am not!... am I drinking enough water.. which I am not!... Went for a 4M last night and felt lethargic but I do remember same during taper for DCM so I can pull upon that bit of experience.

Will see how it all goes and then use experience from that to plan for next one..:)

Thanks H.
    I felt far more relaxed than before DCM. I ate better, drank better, slept better and felt fitter. I also felt a bit "heavy" on my run last Tuesday, but on the 2 mile loosener on Saturday I felt great. On the morning of the race I didn't feel nervous at all and that was definitely down to knowing what was ahead.
    You've been absolutely flying lately and I've no doubt you'll do great in Limerick. Good luck, looking forward to the race report!

Limerick Marathon on 30th April... :D

How did ye get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

How did ye get on?

Very well indeed didn't you paddy! Congrats on a great run. Can we have a report??

So......last year the great nop98 started our 2016 novices thread on 2nd May. Are we to expect a similar thread tomorrow?

Very well indeed didn't you paddy! Congrats on a great run. Can we have a report??

No doubt his publishers have been alerted...

Good Evening All.. I won't even begin to come near my extremely long report for DCM 2016 so will keep this more brief, well a little.. :D

I ran Limerick Marathon on Sunday last and all went great Thankfully. I started my taper with an 11M run last Sun week and then ran twice during week, on Weds for 3+M and then Sat leg stretcher for 3M. Went for physio sports massage on Weds morning early. I did not have a great week of sleep last week as I have been very busy with work and lots of other fronts with kids soccer etc.

I had it in my head to have faith in the taper as I did start to feel lethargic during the week and my legs had a few niggles, especially my right knee, but nothing major. My Sat run was extremely lethargic but I remembered this for DCM in that the taper was lazy.

Anyway, we headed down to Limerick Sat afternoon and I drove 2nd half.. I always do the driving so my wife was amazed I let her drive! Kids were up for an overnight adventure so all was good. Got checked in and I then ate down the still slightly warm rice, bean and beef burritos that my wife had made for me before we traveled.. why change a proven formula from day before DCM 2016.. Rest of the family then got pizza in Super Macs.. I had 2 slices.. :D

Got up around 7 on Sunday for a 9AM off.. we were 5-10min walk from start. Arranged a late check out for latest 1:30 to try get shower.. Was I being ambitious.. just in case. Had my usual porridge and coffee for the laxative effect.. it worked!

So I got ready to start and weather was kind, forecast had not been good but on the morning it was good. Was overcast but mild enough with a little wind, but no rain.

I set my virtual pacer on the Garmin to 3:50 as I figured worth a rattle. I knew my training pace had been well up on DCM 2016 so felt confident. On the morning as I walked to start I really felt that taper had worked perfect, I had no niggles and legs felt strong. I was ready to go!

I set off and quickly found the 3:45 pacers so figured lets go with them and see how it goes, if all fails I can drop back to my A target of 3:50.. But all went really well. I comfortably stayed with the 3:45 group and it was a nice tidy group and the pacer (Declan) was very encouraging and knew we had banked some time as we progressed so kept us informed on this. I remember in DCM that the 4:00 pacer (Remember Red Balloon Man!!) kept getting away from me and I had to try catch them.. this time around I was cruising with no issues.

As we went thru 17, 18, 19.. I started to wonder will it hit me soon but I started to feel as though that I should be feeling the pressure at that stage but I wasn't. I was sub 8min miles all the way.. 5.10-5.15km.. Then at around mile 20-21 it just clicked.. we were going up a steady climb and Declan said we had plenty of seconds in the bank so we could pace it easy but my legs just wanted to kick on so all of a sudden I was now out front and I just got a rush of adrenaline as I passed into clear air, so I straightened up and just kicked off up the hill. The group behind me, and Declan's encouragement, started to get more and more distant and my times started to come down more and more. I knew I was moving well now and I was passing a lot of people.

I was now in my own little race as I did not want to get reeled back in to the 3:45 group as that would be defeat for me. I pushed and pushed to get clean air between us and it worked. The final few miles now looped a little and we had some sharp hills and a few double backs where I could see the half marathon and marathon traffic coming back and that did tease a little but I felt ready for anything. I found mile 24-25 a little tough but once I went thru mile 25 I knew I was killing it.. compared to DCM where I was just struggling to stay upright, I now knew I was going well and no matter what time I did now it was going to be a massive step up for me.

I came home in 3:41:59 which was a full 18 minutes better than DCM. All sub 8 minute miles and consistent pacing throughout with my best miles saved for the end. I crossed the line with 2 of my kids and held their arms aloft - whereas I practically fell over the line in DCM :eek:

What I learned from this is that if you put in the training then your body will perform for you on the day - assuming no injury and right racing conditions; and not going way too ambitious on pace! I took water with me between all water stops in order to constantly have a sip. For the sports drink stops I took a great tip from my pacer and just used it to rinse my mouth and get it under my tongue - that helped. I ate at mile 8 before I needed it and then nibbled again later on. I only took gels at planned intervals and did not take any for a placebo effect. My tummy did not give me any trouble this time, I was able to walk afterwards and head straight back to hotel for a shower and I got to enjoy and savour the moment.

Training wise.. I did not follow any special plans. I just got the miles in each week, never missed my long runs since DCM and did lots and lots of hills during the winter - proper hills! My weight is exact same as the day I started DCM but I feel to take it up a level now I need to get maybe 6-7kg off and that could be a big challenge but well worth it!

A great experience overall and absolutely delighted with my performance on the day. Didn't dare to dream I could get such a good time and I will definitely be back for more in DCM 2017!

Thanks for reading..

• Advertisement

I'm still in awe! Fantastic performance that should inspire all 2016 grads (and 2017 novices). I for one am suddenly more focused on DCM again.
    I was a little worried when you didn't pass the 30km on the tracker, until I saw the message that it was not working.

Advertisement