Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2016 Graduates: Keep On Running

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

a : What are your next goals?

None really, can't see myself getting much satisfaction if I run 5k in 20mins.

b: What type of training to you intends to do over the winter?

Just running for the enjoyment, it will be nice not having a plan. I can't see myself doing many runs longer than 10 miles. I want to do some more trail type runs.

c: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?

Dunno tbh, can't see myself doing a marathon again. Still haven't done any running since although will probably get out next week.

None really, can't see myself getting much satisfaction if I run 5k in 20mins.

Just running for the enjoyment, it will be nice not having a plan. I can't see myself doing many runs longer than 10 miles. I want to do some more trail type runs.

Dunno tbh, can't see myself doing a marathon again. Still haven't done any running since although will probably get out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I got out today for a decent 5 miles @ 9.38 pace . Ideal running conditions today mild and breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 doozerydoo

Great thread, thanks for setting it up. I'm looking forward to learning lots from everyone and especially from Bungy Girl!
    I went out for a 7.5 mile run this morning, it was my second proper run since the marathon (did 5.5 miles on Thursday) felt great to be back pounding the concrete.
    I went back hockey training the Wednesday after the marathon and played a match on the Saturday.
    I don't want to fall out of the habit of running so I plan on running on the days I don't train or play hockey.
    I'll hopefully sign up to a few races in the new year to give myself a bit of focus. I might do the Rome half marathon on March. I'd also like to maybe join a running club.
    Sorry, I'm on my phone so can't fill out the questions but will when I'm on a computer.

Happy anniversary every one .

The legs are a little achey this morning obviously still in recovery mode . All Easy running for me this coming week but I hope to get back to double digit mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭robinwing

where do you hope to see yourself in 12 months with your running ?

On the start line for Dublin again , but this time with a solid year's preparation behind me instead of a couple of months. Max distance runs for the winter 10 to 12 miles . Spring, a weekly 15 miler building up gradually to the LSRs again. If done like this you will look forward to the LSR at the weekend not dread it. I intend to run about 40% on grass instead of all on the roads . Running full time on the roads makes injury almost inevitable. Intend to gradually build mileage from about 25 in winter to about 65 miles per week in September . Hope this enables me to run a fast marathon in 2017 . Motto : The road to Hell is paved with good intentions !

Thank goodness for modern well cushioned running shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Three runs done this week couple of runs just under 5 miles and one just under 6 miles.

I need to slow them down a bit though....have been keeping my watch in my pocket so not looking at it all the time.

Will be a max of 2 runs this week as busy with work and away next weekend....bit of a more structured plan when I get back.

So first run today since DCM. It felt odd as I was breaking in a new pair of shoes, thought I was striking the ground pretty hard.

Knee felt a bit strange but that disappeared after a few miles.

5.6m @ 9.04

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great to see so many of you venturing back out and getting some post-marathon runs in. Hope you’re all wearing your hard-earned tops (the medals might be a step too far though)!

Don’t worry about plans or structure at this point. Listen to your body (you’re going to hear that a lot. A LOT !!) and don’t worry about pace. Try to stay off concrete where possible. Grass, trail or even tarmac are easier on the body.

Anyone who is injured, don’t panic first and foremost. You’ve put your body through a lot of stress over the last few months and that can highlight weaknesses and imbalances that then manifest as injuries. Find a good physiotherapist or physical therapist and seek their advice. Regular maintenance if budget allows is a great way of staying ahead of the game when it comes to injuries. A strength and conditioning routine is a must too, especially for those of us of a certain vintage :o. I’ll post more on this topic shortly.

Keep the answers to TM’s questions coming please. Good to see so many of you thinking ahead and planning for 2017 already. For those of you undecided, we will have some plans specially designed for the Graduates by Myles Splitz and I’ll be posting those directly after Jingle Bells. Remember….

c13aa90f9ce4197f18883fbfdb2242aa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Wore my marathon top on yesterday's 6m run. Must say I felt 8 feet tall wearing it :)
    Handy little zipped pocket in it as well, I didn't notice that on the day.

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    A strength and conditioning routine is a must too, especially for those of us of a certain vintage . I’ll post more on this topic shortly.

For those of you undecided, we will have some plans specially designed for the Graduates by Myles Splitz and I’ll be posting those directly after Jingle Bells. Remember….

Really looking forward to all this, I got a little ahead of myself earlier this year and did Myles 2015 graduate plan. It was varied and really enjoyable and I knocked chunks off my 5k pb on it. This time having marathon training done it'll be even better so I'm definietly going with it again.

kin9pin wrote: »
    Wore my marathon top on yesterday's 6m run. Must say I felt 8 feet tall wearing it :)
    Handy little zipped pocket in it as well, I didn't notice that on the day.

I still have not wore mine on a run , havn't noticed the zip pocket either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

So I had 2 x Thread notifications to check in on this evening.. :D I guess I am meant to transition over to this one now so I better get my homework done below.

Hmm.. trickey. First and foremost I want to keep running. I've got 150M to do before year end to get to 1000M - I did not think in wildest dreams I could get near that, especially seeing as I still had stress fracture healing thru Jan/Feb. Plan is to do 30M a week for maintenance - ideally maybe 10-15 each Sat morning.
    Will run DCM 2017 (body allowing) and still waiting to hear re Berlin too.. and have 2nd avenue to chase a place in that too.
    Would really like to start looking at triathlon's and IM Dublin would be fantastic to do but got to work alot on the swimming.
    In near term I want to see can I get a sub 21min 5k - think I can do it but need a bit of format to how to best train for it - not keen on those complex speed plans etc.. I just want to run!

As above.. 30M per week. Never thought I would get to the day that I could actually go out running in one of the UA Cold Gear compression tops.. both from the warmth perspective and that it was bet onto me! Now I can appreciate the benefits and intend to do plenty of cold miles in one.
    I will go back to the gym too and do more strengthening and possibly some spinning, but not sure where I will fit all in over winter as divorce would be expensive and messy.. :D

Having this same conversation after running a 3:45 in DCM 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

kin9pin wrote: »
    Oh, I have 76 miles left to get my 100 1000 miles for the year. Add that to the short term goals :)

Thinking about London too. I can't wait to get a stuck into a plan again. Must look at that sub four plan. That's my goal too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Just to reinforce the fact the marathon is not long passed....one toenail gone!

So I had 2 x Thread notifications to check in on this evening.. :D I guess I am meant to transition over to this one now so I better get my homework done below.

Hmm.. trickey. First and foremost I want to keep running. I've got 150M to do before year end to get to 1000M - I did not think in wildest dreams I could get near that, especially seeing as I still had stress fracture healing thru Jan/Feb. Plan is to do 30M a week for maintenance - ideally maybe 10-15 each Sat morning.
    Will run DCM 2017 (body allowing) and still waiting to hear re Berlin too.. and have 2nd avenue to chase a place in that too.
    Would really like to start looking at triathlon's and IM Dublin would be fantastic to do but got to work alot on the swimming.
    In near term I want to see can I get a sub 21min 5k - think I can do it but need a bit of format to how to best train for it - not keen on those complex speed plans etc.. I just want to run!

As above.. 30M per week. Never thought I would get to the day that I could actually go out running in one of the UA Cold Gear compression tops.. both from the warmth perspective and that it was bet onto me! Now I can appreciate the benefits and intend to do plenty of cold miles in one.
    I will go back to the gym too and do more strengthening and possibly some spinning, but not sure where I will fit all in over winter as divorce would be expensive and messy.. :D

Having this same conversation after running a 3:45 in DCM 2017.[/quote

Haha! I know...I am dreading telling himself about another marathon! I think making it a destination one where he gets a holiday as well, would be the best bet!!

ToriV wrote: »

Haha! I know...I am dreading telling himself about another marathon! I think making it a destination one where he gets a holiday as well, would be the best bet!!

London has been planned for me for a good while, but when I mentioned I'll be running DCM 2017 my wife's response was "So that's your 'thing' now is it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ToriV wrote: »
    Thinking about London too. I can't wait to get a stuck into a plan again. Must look at that sub four plan. That's my goal too!

Where is this sub 4 plan? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

After resting since Wednesday, I went for a slow jog today and had to stop at 2.5k and walk home....knee too painful to continue running :( Run starts off fine but knee starts to niggle after about 2k and then gradually full on pain. It doesn't hurt to walk and doesn't even really hurt going up or down stairs, I tried a stretching lunge and it hurt, the pigeon stretch doesn't hurt!!
    Will book physio tomorrow.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Where is this sub 4 plan? Thanks

I'm looking at this one http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/images/asics/ASICS_TRAININGPLANS_Sub%204.00.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Once again thanks to Nop and Co for helping get us all to DCM, TM for setting up this thread, and BG for saying she'll take us on post DCM. I am really hoping that some of your running magic rubs off on us BG! :D

To answer the questions:

A : What are your next goals?
    In the very short term my plans are to keep running for fun. It has worked the past two weeks so happy with that. Then race Jingle Bells, aiming for a PB obviously and use that to look at setting some targets for 2017. I also would like to run a streak of continuous running days from 28 Nov - 28 Dec.

During 2017 I want to knock some time off all of the following: 1mile; 5k; 5mile; 10k; and 10 mile - I'll think about HM but we'll see. I'd also like to hit 1000 miles (this year I'll be hitting 1000 km)

B: What type of training to you intends to do over the winter?
    I am not sure about this. Rest of November is reverse taper and Jingle Bells. After that I'll start the grad plan I guess. I am away from 28 Dec until 25 January, moving location every few days and while my runners will definitely be packed, I'm not going to worry about any kind of structure while away. Once I am back, I guess I will start the grad plan and stick with it, and target some races.

Thinking about the thread that Myles Splits started over in the main forum I know I need to work on power/strength as well as flexibility and posture. For me these are all linked and where my biggest weaknesses lie.

C: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?
    I have no concrete visions on this one. Want to be running for sure, injury free and enjoying it. Next year is likely to be a bit messy as I'll be doing the bulk of my field work research and moving a lot so really it depends on where I will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Right lads, who's doing the half marathon next Saturday? I thought I had a stress fracture, but after taking off work a few days it feels grand. I'm resting it all next week as well so if all is well next Saturday I'll be good to go! Thank ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Thanks for taking this on BG:)

Reduce my 5k, 10k and half marathon times. I've signed up for Jingle bells 5k so I'll give that a decent attempt, although after all my slow running during marathon training, I'm very unconvinced that I'll get a 5k PB.
    I haven't raced any 10k or half marathons in a while though so I think it shouldn't be too difficult to get a few shiny new PBs in the new year.
    Also been meaning to set up a log so I will hopefully eventually get around to that.

The next two weeks are pretty much a write off for me, running-wise, due to another hobby taking up most of my spare time. I'll be lucky to get in 1 or 2 short runs a week. But after that I'd like to follow the graduate plan. I'm half thinking of doing the Connemara half marathon in April so I'll see how the plan fits in with training for that.

I'm not sure really. My main goal is to be faster. I always said DCM 2016 would be my one and only marathon but I think we have unfinished business. I'm not completely ruling out doing DCM 2017 but I won't decide that for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

@Fbjm....Not me. It doesn't feel like a good idea three weeks after a marathon, especially as I'm still nursing my own injury. As a result, I've run less than 15 miles since DCM. You have the option to switch to the 5 mile if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Fbjm wrote: »
    Right lads, who's doing the half marathon next Saturday? I thought I had a stress fracture, but after taking off work a few days it feels grand. I'm resting it all next week as well so if all is well next Saturday I'll be good to go! Thank ****.

Fbjm.. only way to tell for sure is an MRI unfortunately. I had stress fracture last winter (Only confirmed after 3-4 months of healing) and I often felt after a rest that it was not there.. hence why I messed it up so bad at the start.

Don't want to sound negative.. and really hoping its not a stress fracture.. but if you have any doubt then go for an MRI. Most health cover plans cover it once doctor has referral letter. One thing to note is that for whatever reason they don't cover MRI of the foot but do cover anywhere up from there.

HTH! Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Fbjm.. only way to tell for sure is an MRI unfortunately. I had stress fracture last winter (Only confirmed after 3-4 months of healing) and I often felt after a rest that it was not there.. hence why I messed it up so bad at the start.

You can often see evidence of a stress fracture on an X-ray after 4-5 weeks have passed, as at that stage the periosteal reaction (from healing) will have started. But not guaranteed to show even after those weeks and as Paddy says the MRI is the only definite test.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

Here I am eventually ;o) Thanks for nop and Firedance et all, Thanks to BG for setting this up AND Thanks to everyone for all contributions, support, help,...

Well, as I really enjoyed the DCM and I recovered so well, I had a couple of talks with some experienced runners/coaches... I can do San Sebastian under 5h... and a friend is coming with me to drag me through the Finish line. So I know it is crazy, but as they said I don't race, just run... I could keep the fitness up and do it in 2 weeks. So I am tapering again!
    After that serious rest... back to club to do the sessions but I would like to start doing parkruns and gain a bit of speed.
    I will help again on the C25k in the club.
    When is the Jungle bells?
    EVENTUALLY I lost a little bit of weight and I hope it continues.
    b: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    Club training and I might do a more personalised training with a colleague of mine. Hill training worked for me last year... not the coach though ;o)
    I would like as well to get rid of fear of cycling.
    We are planning to do Stirling Marathon in May.
    c: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? DCM again. I really enjoyed it but to perfect it I dont want to feel lonely towards the end again. So I want to enjoy beginning to end!
    Those are all my plans! Lots but I know they are all achievable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭budhistmonk

Will ease myself back into things over next few weeks and will do a few Park Runs during December. Been stuck just above 24 mins for last few years so will see if I can dip under it. Might try and do Raheny at end of Jan and maybe a half by end of March.

Prior to DCM training I was running 4 times a week (3 mid-week and longer one at weekend) so will continue that. Will try and introduce some speedwork to encourage me to move quicker than the marathon LSR pace. Will look at strength and conditioning and maybe start pilates again in the new year.

Not sure if DCM 2017 will be on the cards as it's a commitment of time at home (will definitely do another one though). Will hopefully do FD10 and some HMs over the summer as really like the longer distances so maybe pick up a PB in any of these.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great to see so many of you venturing back out and getting some post-marathon runs in. Hope you’re all wearing your hard-earned tops (the medals might be a step too far though)!

Don’t worry about plans or structure at this point. Listen to your body (you’re going to hear that a lot. A LOT !!) and don’t worry about pace. Try to stay off concrete where possible. Grass, trail or even tarmac are easier on the body.

Anyone who is injured, don’t panic first and foremost. You’ve put your body through a lot of stress over the last few months and that can highlight weaknesses and imbalances that then manifest as injuries. Find a good physiotherapist or physical therapist and seek their advice. Regular maintenance if budget allows is a great way of staying ahead of the game when it comes to injuries. A strength and conditioning routine is a must too, especially for those of us of a certain vintage :o. I’ll post more on this topic shortly.

Keep the answers to TM’s questions coming please. Good to see so many of you thinking ahead and planning for 2017 already. For those of you undecided, we will have some plans specially designed for the Graduates by Myles Splitz and I’ll be posting those directly after Jingle Bells. Remember….

Thanks for taking us on Bg! Looking forward to the next part of the journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Don't want to sound negative.. and really hoping its not a stress fracture.. but if you have any doubt then go for an MRI. Most health cover plans cover it once doctor has referral letter. One thing to note is that for whatever reason they don't cover MRI of the foot but do cover anywhere up from there.

HTH! Best of Luck.

Thanks man, I looked into that but MRIs cost a couple hundred euro, I got an x-ray and nothing showed up. Still though, looking into it a bit more I'm starting to think maybe running a half marathon on it would be idiotic.

Advertisement