Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo nes classic mini

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DonnchaCH

Anyone have any news on when or if these will be restocked? I messaged Gamestop and they said they might not be getting anymore stock, where Smyths had on their site it was going to be restocked in "Jan 2017" then they removed the Nes Classic from the site all together one day so I messaged them asking if it's going to be restocked and the replied with this:

"Hi Donncha.

Unfortunately we have been advised from Nintendo that they will not be reproducing this item as it was a once off, apologies for any disappoitnment this may cause! :(

Best wishes
    Smyths FB Team"

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Yes, apparently it was a special edition Nintendo, they only made a few. I have yet to break it to my daughter that it's not going to be available. She wanted it as her Christmas present so was holding off until it was restocked. The salesman in my local Game Stop said it was crap anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

i don't believe that at all. sounds like BS...

not crap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DonnchaCH

I know it's very disappointing if this is true. I can't find any other resources online that confirms this I see a lot of people say it'll be restocked in March but they haven't provided any sources either.

A friend of mine that works in Gamestop said it was crap too haha.

For me though it's convenient because i'd do travel and it looks like it beats using Emulators on laptops or having to haul loads of carts with you, the HD aspect from it is a big plus for me I have the Sega Mega Drive Classic Game Console with 80 Games and it only runs 480ghz and seems to run the PAL 50hz speed which is annoying so I'd say the Nes Classic is a much better piece of tech overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The salesman in my local Game Stop said it was crap anyway.

Probably wasn't even born when the console was out...

• Advertisement

.. and it is cheap so no commission, buy this expensive playstation instead...

never listen to salespeople...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Inviere

A user on Reddit posted this up, allegedly a Smyths manager:
    I work for Smyths Toy Store. It is a large Irish owned toy shop and videogame store that also has many branches in the UK. This Email went out company wide. To give some context we are a major competitor to Game Stop and Argos and are nearly always priced cheaper than both, I believe this may be because the company has the resources to pay up front for certain games etc and can secure large quantities to sell at much cheaper prices than our competitors. My point being I'm sure they would stop at nothing to secure more Nes Classics if at all possible.

Pic Evidence - http://imgur.com/a/muD1A

https://www.reddit.com/r/minines/comments/5mvoam/official_word_from_nintendo_on_producing_more/

still don't believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Smyths are rarely cheaper than Argos!

yeah i was thinking that too! when argos had it listed for 4 seconds, the price was €60 as oppose to €65 at Smyths...

and £50 in UK on the official nintendo site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would take it with a pinch of salt as well. If there's one thing Nintendo like it's money and not having a money spinner like that on the shelves makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

DonnchaCH wrote: »
    I know it's very disappointing if this is true. I can't find any other resources online that confirms this I see a lot of people say it'll be restocked in March but they haven't provided any sources either.

A friend of mine that works in Gamestop said it was crap too haha.

For me though it's convenient because i'd do travel and it looks like it beats using Emulators on laptops or having to haul loads of carts with you, the HD aspect from it is a big plus for me I have the Sega Mega Drive Classic Game Console with 80 Games and it only runs 480ghz and seems to run the PAL 50hz speed which is annoying so I'd say the Nes Classic is a much better piece of tech overall.
    Err, what?

Emulation of NES on PC (e.g. with FCEUX ) is easy as hell, and if you want to run at 60Hz you just find the correct US/JP ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This is very appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

I had pre-ordered off Amazon when it was first announced so got mine in time for Christmas. To be honest it's ok, not crap but not mind blowing either. Its clunky to operate in terms of having to press reset on the console itself to exit to the menus and the controller cables are ridiculously short. Also the EU version doesn't even come with a power supply adapter - you only get the USB cable. True most people would have a 5V USB adaptor handy anyway but if you were missing one on Christmas morning...

If you didn't get one I wouldn't feel like you've missed out - just go on Amazon grab a Raspberry Pi kit and google how to build an emulation machine that can emulate multiple consoles and hold all the ROMs you want and you'll have an even better experience than the mini-classic. You can probably even get a replica NES mini-case somewhere to put the Pi into.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

well, finally Amazon are shipping me a NES Mini today at the proper price of £49.99. (works out to €62 something)

I guess the lad who said there will never be any more was full of sh1te so!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 JohnMoyno

sibergoth wrote: »
    well, finally Amazon are shipping me a NES Mini today at the proper price of £49.99. (works out to €62 something)

I guess the lad who said there will never be any more was full of sh1te so!

Really? Which store on Amazon?

JohnMoyno wrote: »
    Really? Which store on Amazon?

Yup. Got it last Thursday. Very cool gadget !

Amazon.co.uk

Just checked there and looks like it could be out of stock again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

£189.99 on Amazon now. :(

now it has been officially made end of life.. wait for the SNES mini.. allegedly coming next xmas....

• Advertisement
Advertisement